The Side of Weight Loss No One Talks About

Options

Replies

• babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When you are still 30 pounds or more away from your goal weight and people try to tell you that you should not lose any more.
  • Bucky2BeBetty
    Bucky2BeBetty Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    1. That a plateau could go on for a very long time.
    2. That I would lose weight in my feet.
    3. How sore my butt would get sitting on bleachers. (It really does hurt!)
  • kamcando
    kamcando Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's okay. I'm older too, and quite frankly I wouldn't wear some of the bathing suit styles today, even if I looked great in them. If I have to get a Brazilian wax to wear one, forget about it! :-)
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    my biggest issue is dealing with being "Mentally fat", Its so much more than just needing to lose weight but also a personal journey. I started in 2010 and i am still trying to emotionally deal with everything. One day at a time is my motto!
    exactly this. I also just try to take it one day at a time. I began my journey at around 208 pounds back in jan of 2011. I now am in maintenance, i hit goal weight of 125 this past summer (i stay around 122-125 since then) but mentally i still sometimes feel like that 208 pound woman with no self esteem. It is very difficult and i do not think many people talk about this or even realize it until they are in that place. The pounds may come off but the mental part of the journey is an entire different task.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    No one told me that I would look WORSE in a bathing suit than I did 66lbs ago.
  • courtneyparsons
    Options
    My best friends are much more overwieght than myself and have terrible eating/health habits and don't have intentions of changing them. That is completly fine but it's hard sometimes to go hang out because it's always somewhere unhealthy to eat or have drinks etc. It's also hard not to have thier support for the healthy things that I love like running events or Zumba fundraisers etc.
    Do I search for a healthy set of friends? How do you handle this stuff?

Oh....and my boobs are always the first thing to go!! :ohwell:

For me too! It's very sad, but I found that my overweight friends NEVER said anything about my weight loss, but my healthy weight friends did all the time.

I just always tried to invite my OW friends to Zumba or to dinner at my house instead of going to Denny's. And if that didn't work, I would invite my HW friends to go. It sucks to be left out, but why put yourself in that position?

Hope that helps!

12314890.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • courtneyparsons
    Options
    This comment: "So when do you think you'll be done with the whole healthy thing?"

Never.

12314890.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying. I've known people who when they were losing weight assumed they'd have a perfect body once they reached their goal and when they realized that wasn't true became discouraged and gained the weight back. I've come to understand that I will probably never be able to wear a bikini (due to loose skin from years of being overweight and having 2 babies) but I accept that and will not be set up for huge dissapointment down the line. There is a definite difference between being realistic and being negative. I know that when I reach my goal my body will be leaps and bounds better than when I started but I probably won't have a models body and that's okay.

^^^this. I recently realized I was self sabotaging because I wasn't prepared for the fact that losing the pregnancy weight would not erase what pregnancy had done to my body. Now that I have accepted that at goal I will still be imperfect, I have started to lose the last few pounds. But no sexy black string bikini is in my future- I will be wearing a "momkini" at best.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I was 'skinny' once. Well, I looked good. Supposedly. I had lost 30 lb in a diet. I can't remember. Heck I can't even remember enjoying it because it all came back so fast.

I've only lost 1/4 of what I want to use this time and I'm terrified it's going to happen again. Even if I eat better and know better about what I eat. Terrified I'll just stop losing no matter how much I try, and I'll just be discouraged. Even if I reach my goal, I don't think the fear that I'll get it all back will go away.

Heck I don't even know how I'm going to keep exercising during school holidays with the kids in my feet. So I'm not even really enjoying having lost almost 20 lbs. I'm just worried I'm not going to able to keep it down.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be fun! I started about a month ago and it is addicting. Since it's become a regular thing almost every day, I don't have to force myself to be active any more. Now I look forward to deciding what I want to do almost every day...DVDs, youtube videos, biking, weight machine, Wii Sports, etc. Fun stuff!!
  • slowly_changing12
    slowly_changing12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    During my weight loss journey... I never thought I would hear people tell me to stop losing weight. You have already lost enough. I just hate when people tell me that lol.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    people are a little nicer...more strangers make eye contact...
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    That I'd look like a Les Mis character in my winter coat.
  • fortunafitgoddess
    Options
    When we start to get to the core of why we are overweight and eat unhealthy and don't exercise...we begin seeing changes...it's not a overnight miracle it's a journey and a work in progress.
  • fortunafitgoddess
    Options
    When we start to get to the core of why we are overweight and eat unhealthy and don't exercise...we begin seeing changes...it's not a overnight miracle it's a journey and a work in progress.

So beautifully said!!
  • mozzie88
    mozzie88 Posts: 33
    Options
    That my boobs shrunk.. :cry:
  • drewboy30
    drewboy30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For me it has been body starvation and how to understand that .... only coming onto MFP have I ever heard about it and seen long discussions giving me a better understanding.
  • kestrel359
    kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    How differently I would be treated.I kind of resent it sometimes.

I'm the same person with the same personality and the same brain.

Yet I was with the same company for 14 years and didn't get any of the promotions I put in for until I lost weight.

THIS!!!!

Man! I have noticed just how much my weight was impeding my job success too. Still pi$$es me off.

I agree that it is horrible to pass someone up on jobs just because of their weight. And no one should have to go through that. But from what I have seen it is Confidence that get promotions more than anything else regardless of current skills even. The more confident in themselves and what theyre doing is way more likely to get promoted in my opinion.

I dont know if you were as confident then as you are now that you are getting these promotions. You may have been in your mind but it wasn't projecting out in the way you thought it was to other people. I doubt the majority of people (always some *kitten* holes though) are thinking she's/he's fat lets not promote her. But when comparing two people theyre going to pick the person that seems like they feel like theyre more able to accomplish the job.

If you look at peoples before and after pictures and just look at their faces. Youll tend to see how much happier they are with themselves and project that to other people.

Hell even look at mine and I wasnt really too down on myself about my weight.

All I'm saying is that sometimes it's us and not them.

A couple of months ago the Wall Street Journal had an article about research that had been done that showed that overweight individuals were less likely to succeed in business not because of their confidence level, as you suggest, but because many people have the mind set that if a person can not manage to take care of themselves then they probably can't handle the higher level of responsibility.
    I know it sucks having proof that people really are that critical of others, but that's the way it is.
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Options
    That my boobs shrunk.. :cry:

Never thought I'd miss them - but I do a bit!

Also the "go on you can treat yourself now, you can eat what you want", followed by the "no point being skinny if you're going to be miserable" comment. People don't understand, I eat what I want, and if I don't want a dessert I don't have one, if I think I am too full to really enjoy it, then I dont order one - my choice!
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The mental part of losing weight has been the most challenging for me. It's all about wrapping your head around your new image and trying to fight the body dysmorphia.