The Side of Weight Loss No One Talks About

Replies

• Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    That bones stick out much more and sometimes you hurt yourself during strangest moments (Bow Asana, hipbones hit the mat so hard I folded"
    That you learn tailoring super fast if you dont want to ruin your finances in clothing.
    That you see yourself super fat for super long, but when you finnaly stop its amazing.
    That if done conciously healthy weightloss is mind opening experience .
    The last one suprised me most.
    The secret is in the road not the destination ITS, IN THE ROAD :wink:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Not mine, but the belief that you can completely change your body shape through weight loss and exercise and that everyone who works hard will end up looking like a fitness model. The idea that your fat distribution pattern and goals have no bearing on how you work out, especially if you are close to your goal.

huh?

There is no reason anyone who works hard enough shouldn't look like a fitness model. Provided you are doing the right kind of exercise and have the right nutrition.
    You are a little naive if you think that fitness models are not chosen with a certain body type in mind, just like any model. Some people will never attain that 'perfect' shape because their bodies are simply not shaped that way. Even buff and at an ideal weight, I will never look like Jillian Michaels (for example, I know she's not a model), because she has a different body type than I. I will look like a fit me. Short, with short skinny-ish legs, unusually short arms, and somewhat thick around the middle with a rather flat behind. Even at my most fit, this is what I looked like. Not unattractive, but certainly not 'cover of Fitness Magazine' attractive.

Thank you. Just because no one wants to pay you to model fitness outfits does not mean you're ugly or that all the work is meaningless. But ridiculous expectations can lead to disappointment and recidivism.

You are Morrisey and I claim my £5
  • queenhermione
    queenhermione Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you for all these comments. I found them very helpful - I've been at my goal weight before but gained it all back and am now starting again.

Okay, so some of them were negative, but those were often the things I hadn't considered before and may have led to my downfall - not really feeling my new size and, particularly, not having some excellent plan for maintaining my goal weight.

I once gave up smoking for 15 years and then started again (stopped now) but it shows that old habits still lurk in the back of the mind - sorting out the reasons for overeating is an important strategy for me to get there and stay there this time.

With stopping smoking, there's that 'not smoked for a week', 'not smoked for a year' encouragement. Maybe a goal of maintaining a week, a month etc will help me. But thinking about it and planning in advance is really useful!
  • MaryLaura83
    MaryLaura83 Posts: 66 Member
    That, unless your problems really are caused by weight, they'll still be there whether you're fat or thin.

Also, having yo-yoed in the past, I'm f'king pissed that I didn't see myself as thin when I actually was.

^^^^ This. There is one picture that I have that I look at from time to time and I can't believe I didn't realize I was so small when I was actually that size. Depressing.
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    I knew that there would be loose skin, I knew my body would chose to lose where it wanted to first, not where I wanted it, but I never knew how unimportant the scale can become at determining weight loss when you are strength training. So many people rely so heavily on the scale for a true projection of weight loss, and while the scale decreasing is import we can oftentimes neglect to notice how our clothes fit, inches lost, and consider what strength training actually does to our bodies. Usually when we start weight loss we become so scale focused that it is actually off putting, and may cause us to give up when we don't see the lbs melting away quick enough.

I've also realized that for many with eating disorders, we don't realized how much we are dealing with our own emotional baggage as much as we are weight loss. Many of us don't expect to enter this journey and deal with life issues from the past, or present. Sometimes we forget that as a person we have to deal with us as a whole and not just our bodies, even if we don't wan to, weight loss causes us to deal w/ more than just our weight.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    What i dislike.... Is when people post their success stories. They just seem to be so positive(ik that they should be very happy with themselves though!) Anyways... its insipiring to see someones success, but for the person that hasnt reached their goals yet, its a little discourageing, because they dnt seem to explain how hard it was to stick with or that they had their time of doubts and dissapointment....

This was hard to explain for some reason, ha... So idk if it makes much sense!

In America, people are conditioned to give the smooth, inspirational lecture ready success story. That's why so many sound the same and they aren't that helpful. It's also painful for some people to relive their experience warts and all.
  • Kerry26Hickman
    Kerry26Hickman Posts: 12 Member
    I've discovered that you can get addicted to the feeling of success when you lose weight. So when you get to a weight where you shouldn't lose any more weight, it can be hard to stop wanting to do it. At first I felt skinny, but after a while I started feeling fat again, even though my measurements were all the same.

Having that exact feeling right now and ive only just reached goal this week. You get addicted to weight loss and now I feel in some kind of limbo!

One thing that nobody hardly talks about is, even if you exercise, lose weight, you look great but deep down, there are areas where skin is a little looser, like bingo wings lol, tummy from having children. I am only 27 and this is my biggest bug bear about losing my weight....
  • MBNagel74
    MBNagel74 Posts: 444 Member
    I have lost 30lbs to date (well, this time around anyway), but, when I look in the mirror, I don't "see" the difference. I still "see" myself at my heaviest. Sure, others comment about how good I'm looking, how happy they are for my success, and so on... But "I" don't see it. I have a closet full of smaller clothes, and I have been weary of putting them on for fear they wouldn't fit... Love my husband though. When I resort to my comfy jeans, he tells me to try the "smaller" ones - especially when the comfy ones don't stay up any longer.

It is an emotional roller coaster... Losing weight is only PART of the process. Dealing with how we feel ABOUT ourselves, what we see in the mirror, and actually addressing the issues that got us to where we are/were at - those are not the things you read about with success stories or are told that you would also need to deal with.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Having to be cautious about everything you eat because you feel like you are one brownie from doom.

I love this. I have been up and down my whole life. Even though I genuinely believe that this moderation approach is a long term forever lifestyle, not a diet, i am so afraid of the backslide that it can be hard to just enjoy a treat from time to time. Working on that, but the fear factor thing surprised me.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    The emotional side effects that come when you stop allowing yourself to eat as a coping mechanism.... Unpleasant feelings and issues come out And you have to face them

This. ^
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    The irrational fear that my husband has: he thinks I "settled" on him years ago. He is now worried that when I get healthy and am feeling that confidence boost, I will see the err of my ways and leave him.

He just doesn't realize he is stuck with me :)
  • crunchybubblez
    Realizing that the only reason you got fat in the first place was to disappear. Then as you lose the weight, you lose a great protective shield and have to deal with the many things you were hiding from.

...and this. ^
  • crunchybubblez
    I'm realizing food was my coping mechanism for my life.
    As I continue to realize all of the things that make me unhappy,
    my dependency on food continues to lessen.
    I think the most surprising is how unhappy I am in my marriage and how controlling Dh has become.
    After me bringing up divorce he's working on it, and I feel less hungry, and less of a need to log.
    We'll see what happens.
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    I'm realizing food was my coping mechanism for my life.
    As I continue to realize all of the things that make me unhappy,
    my dependency on food continues to lessen.
    I think the most surprising is how unhappy I am in my marriage and how controlling Dh has become.
    After me bringing up divorce he's working on it, and I feel less hungry, and less of a need to log.
    We'll see what happens.

^ This is soo familiar to me
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Realizing that the only reason you got fat in the first place was to disappear. Then as you lose the weight, you lose a great protective shield and have to deal with the many things you were hiding from.

Oh yeah, this really hits home. My life now is drastically different than it was 20 yrs ago, and the extra weight I gained was instrumental in changing a lot of habits and destructive thinking. Now that the weight is coming off, it is a delicate balance to make sure I keep the positive mental changes I have made, but not let the destructive, dangerous thinking resurface.
    It is interesting how my self esteem actually improved when I was 80 pounds overweight. When you no longer have the 'pretty package' you must look inside yourself to find your true value without that shell.

It sounds weird, but my disability and weight gain was actually a blessing for me. I did find my true value, and have an amazing marriage to a man who has loved me no matter what my weight was. But now, the focus is on my health, more than just looking good in a pair of skinny jeans. (Altho that is really fun!)
    I feel like I have been given a second chance at a healthy life, and this time I am so much wiser, and appreciate the little things that are so much easier now. I am so excited to see how I will feel with another 30-40 pounds gone!
  • JoanneLkinn
    JoanneLkinn Posts: 9 Member
    Great idea on the clothes exchange ...I'm in! :-)
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    How sometimes the people you thought were your biggest supporters turn out to be the ones trying to make you fail.
    My ex-husband was all for me losing weight until i started too then i guess he got scared and started bringing home all the fatting food and then got mad when i would not eat it with him. I continued to lose the weight and then lost him. It was all for the best because i found my true love..someone who supports me. If your SO does not want the best for you then they don't really love you..
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    That when you shop in regular sized clothes section of a store you are thinking that everyone is wondering why the fat chic is in their side of the store. lol. I am a pretty much a solid 12 but when I go looking for clothes I swear everyone is wondering why I am there.

HAHA I know exactly what you mean! I went shopping with my daughter recently and we were trying on the same brand/style of jeans, just in different sizes. I had a sudden realization of just how weird it was that I was trying on skinny jeans in the junior section with my daughter and wondered if the changing room lady was thinking I was a fraud, and should be shopping in the old fat lady section. lol
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Absolutely not. My point was that people should try to have realistic expectations. Projecting much?

No, just reacting to your frankly miserable posts in this thread, and every other thread I've seen you in. You're one of those anonymous blue users, yet you stick out since you're always posting something negative. Do you need a hug? You sound like you need a hug.

tumblr_lm6kgbWdyF1qii6tmo1_500.gif
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    That losing weight is the easy part. Life long maintenance is where it gets tricky.