Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• ThePolishExperiment
    ThePolishExperiment Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So then what would you say to all of the MMA athletes out there Game8, that do cardio, and weight lifting, and do circuit training which is both cardiovascular, and weight based, clearly has no benefit because it has cardio mixed in, correct? nope, wrong!!
  • nevitt1978
    Options
    Thank you!! So I am wondering how long before I can do the workout without feeling that excruciating pain? I felt a little depressed after the first one as I was so geared up for it....thought I could do one session of BP, 40 mins Cardio/small weights at home with a great DVD a couple of times and perhaps a bit of swimming and this may start to tone?

I appreciate some good honest advice from someone who seems to know and be passionate about such things ;-)
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    So then what would you say to all of the MMA athletes out there Game8, that do cardio, and weight lifting, and do circuit training which is both cardiovascular, and weight based, clearly has no benefit because it has cardio mixed in, correct? nope, wrong!!
    Who was this question for? OP or me?

I saw it sounds PERFECT! Just the way I understand it to be done.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I used to do intervals when it came to cardio and I found many cardiovascular advantages. My endurance spiked and my breathing improved significantly. Cardio isn't bad.
    Ultimately, you have to understand that a) not everyone shares the same goal for loosing weight, and b) not everyone knows what to do to reach their goals. Education is key to weight loss. Not only is knowing what to do important; it is also important to know what works for you and your body.
    And cardio can burn fat...it just tends to burn muscle first.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Can you explain how I lost 300+ lbs. eating a 800-1000 calorie breakfast over the last 4 years, BEFORE I went to the gym 30 minutes later and did cardio???? I eat over 1200 calories for breakfast these days and am back eating in a slight calorie deficit......

My guess it would have been the opposite reason you got to 560+lbs which is insane.

Oh good one...... Yea knowing the whole story would probably be a waste of my time explaining it in this particular thread but that is cool I got thick skin these days......
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Thank you!! So I am wondering how long before I can do the workout without feeling that excruciating pain? I felt a little depressed after the first one as I was so geared up for it....thought I could do one session of BP, 40 mins Cardio/small weights at home with a great DVD a couple of times and perhaps a bit of swimming and this may start to tone?

I appreciate some good honest advice from someone who seems to know and be passionate about such things ;-)
    Wait til your soreness subsides and go again. I have been in your shoes. I had a session with a personal trainer after not lifting for years. I couldn't even sit on the toilet for a week, bc it hurt to much to sit and then to get up, lol. No exaggeration.

Just go next time and do less weights or stay half the time or both. Listen to your body, but don't over do it. It can frustrate you as you can see. Then build up to staying for the full class. And then you can increase your weights. Just trust me, it only takes about two weeks and if you're consistent. You won't have so much pain. In my experience it seems that you never have as much pain as you did your first time.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't. The only exception would be someone who has been starving for an extended time with bodyfat close to 0%.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    I used to do intervals when it came to cardio and I found many cardiovascular advantages. My endurance spiked and my breathing improved significantly. Cardio isn't bad.
    Ultimately, you have to understand that a) not everyone shares the same goal for loosing weight, and b) not everyone knows what to do to reach their goals. Education is key to weight loss. Not only is knowing what to do important; it is also important to know what works for you and your body.
    It doesn't always burn muscle, it depends on how you are doing (many factors). But I agree cardio is good, it is therapeutic and fun too. I love it. We are here to learn. Or rather most of us are, some are here to pester. I love talking and debating with others to find the answers. I hate when ppl say, "you're wrong" but then don't say WHY or don't prove otherwise. That person is just being hateful or a trouble maker.
  • ThePolishExperiment
    ThePolishExperiment Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ha Sunny not for you, for Game8, quite a few posts back, saying something stupid, lol.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. Why then whenever someone wants to lose fat or "get abs" they jump on the elliptical and start swinging and sweating thinking it's a great idea?? The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it. I doubt they're doing it for the cardiovascular benefits either. So if by the end of the day you're at a caloric deficit, you will lose the same amount of fat with or without cardio.

Weight lifting on the other hand has been shown to accelerate fat loss by up to 50% than dieting alone or dieting and cardio. I really genuinely feel sad when I see someone doing an hour or two of cardio on my news feed, and it's for all the wrong reasons..

Could not agree more. What you are saying is not the popular oppinion, but it def is my oppinion. I do zero cardio- I hate it. It makes me hungry and it makes me tired. I've done the fat burning mode, Ive had assistance from trainers making sure my heart rate doesnt go too high so Im not burning sugar etc- DOES NOT MATTER. I've never felt good after doing cardio even when I was in the best shape of my life- and it always makes me hungry.

Dieting, for me, is the single and only way to lose fat. So, for the purpose of fat loss, I see no value in doing cardio. I have many friends who would disagree, but I know for me it is the truth.

I cut calories and do pilates and weights, and its the best combo for my fat loss
  • Sunny____
    Options
    No it doesn't. The only exception would be someone who has been starving for an extended time with bodyfat close to 0%.
    I believe another exception would be not being at a target heartrate. When your heart rate is too high for too long, you burn muscle. I need to double check this, but pretty sure this is accurate.

Being at target "fat burning" heart rate is one reason for heart rate monitors'
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My own personal experience goes like this: In 2009 I lifted 5 days a week. I started at 352 and got down to 301 in 8 months. That was before I tore both my rotator cuffs (not suddenly or anything...it was gradual over years). Two years, two surgeries, hated cardio and so I ate like I was lifting...

Got back up to 347

I started July 1st of 2012 and I do very light lifting or band work 2 days a week and do cardio at least 4 to 5 times a week. I am down to 272 as of yesterday. I haven't felt this good since I was in my early 20s. I am preparing for my first 5k. I have more stamina, more endurance, and more drive than I ever had when I was lifting heavy.

I see the benefits of both. I truly do. But I get so much more out of lifting light and cardio then I ever did out of just lifting heavy. Maybe it's because I was forced to back off lifting...but I don't see how you come to your conclusion that cardio doesn't burn fat...you can burn fat sitting on the couch believe it or not.
  • nevitt1978
    Options

Wait til your soreness subsides and go again. I have been in your shoes. I had a session with a personal trainer after not lifting for years. I couldn't even sit on the toilet for a week, bc it hurt to much to sit and then to get up, lol. No exaggeration.

Just go next time and do less weights or stay half the time or both. Listen to your body, but don't over do it. It can frustrate you as you can see. Then build up to staying for the full class. And then you can increase your weights. Just trust me, it only takes about two weeks and if you're consistent. You won't have so much pain. In my experience it seems that you never have as much pain as you did your first time.

Brill, thank you again for your advice!! I will book myself in again this week and take it a little easier until I am ready to do the full class :-) I am looking forward to a healthier, leaner yummy mummy body and not slummy mummy body! :-)
  • Sunny____
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. Why then whenever someone wants to lose fat or "get abs" they jump on the elliptical and start swinging and sweating thinking it's a great idea?? The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it. I doubt they're doing it for the cardiovascular benefits either. So if by the end of the day you're at a caloric deficit, you will lose the same amount of fat with or without cardio.

Weight lifting on the other hand has been shown to accelerate fat loss by up to 50% than dieting alone or dieting and cardio. I really genuinely feel sad when I see someone doing an hour or two of cardio on my news feed, and it's for all the wrong reasons..

Could not agree more. What you are saying is not the popular oppinion, but it def is my oppinion. I do zero cardio- I hate it. It makes me hungry and it makes me tired. I've done the fat burning mode, Ive had assistance from trainers making sure my heart rate doesnt go too high so Im not burning sugar etc- DOES NOT MATTER. I've never felt good after doing cardio even when I was in the best shape of my life- and it always makes me hungry.

Dieting, for me, is the single and only way to lose fat. So, for the purpose of fat loss, I see no value in doing cardio. I have many friends who would disagree, but I know for me it is the truth.

I cut calories and do pilates and weights, and its the best combo for my fat loss
    Some ppl who are in amazing shape don't do cardio. I know a guy "Chris Winters" (Google to see his images) who is in the best shape of any man I have seen, hates cardio and doesn't do it. He only lifts and eats clean. He is lean, bc he has no fat. He eats right thus he has no fat. He lifts. Lifting builds muscle which burns fat. He doesn't need cardio to burn his fat. Cardio can be beneficial, but I don't think it is a requirement to being in great shape. One guy I went to hs with who is in great shape said, "it isn't what you burn off that counts, it's what you don't eat that counts." IT can be read into, but I do understand his point.
  • Cocotte30
    Cocotte30 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs by doing a combo of both cardio and weight-lifting. I lost 70 lbs in the first 7 months, the other 30 lbs came after I tighten up my eating plan and gym program as did hit a few plateaus. I did both together and then just cardio alone and yes it does yield different results. I burn much faster by doing both rather than just cardio alone. The only thing for me is that I have to be careful with the weight-lifting part as I bulk up pretty quickly. Basically, people should do what they are comfortable with. Not every plan is good for every body. Do what works for you and stick to it. Once in a while though it is good to change it up so your body doesn't get "used" to the routine. Your body is 10% genetics, 10% training and 80% nutrition. If you don't eat right, no amount of training will ever be enough to make up for it.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Ha Sunny not for you, for Game8, quite a few posts back, saying something stupid, lol.
    Oh, lol. I thought Game 8 was a sport not a person.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs by doing a combo of both cardio and weight-lifting. I lost 70 lbs in the first 7 months, the other 30 lbs came after I tighten up my eating plan and gym program as did hit a few plateaus. I did both together and then just cardio alone and yes it does yield different results. I burn much faster by doing both rather than just cardio alone. The only thing for me is that I have to be careful with the weight-lifting part as I bulk up pretty quickly. Basically, people should do what they are comfortable with. Not every plan is good for every body. Do what works for you and stick to it. Once in a while though it is good to change it up so your body doesn't get "used" to the routine. Your body is 10% genetics, 10% training and 80% nutrition. If you don't eat right, no amount of training will ever be enough to make up for it.
    Well said. Congrats on the weight loss.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Myths Under The Microscope Part 1: The Low Intensity Fat Burning Zone
    In acute trials, fat oxidation during exercise tends to be higher in low-intensity treatments, but postexercise fat oxidation and/or energy expenditure tends to be higher in high-intensity treatments

http://www.thebodygenesis.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-1-the-low-intensity-fat-burning-zone/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This thread isn't about the knocking the cardiovascular benefits of it... it's saying that it isn't nearly as effective from a fat loss perspective, which is true. People get really jumpy around here real fast....

Look to all the top fitness, physique, bodybuilding competitors... it wasn't built by cardio, it was built through resistance training.

CARDIO DOES BURN FAT. And cardio DOESN'T burn fat. It depends on how it is done.

Three ways it burns fat. . .

1. Interval cardio with HIIT: (ie walk, jog, run, repeat) for 20 - 30 minutes

2. Fasted cardio such as first thing in the morning after an overnight fast and before breakfast: When done on an empty stomach your body uses fat stores as energy (some say this is controversial).

4. After a weight lifting session which mostly burns carbs and calories, you then do cardio to burn fat.

A way that cardio DOES NOT burn fat is through long slow cardio. This has many benefits, but fat-burning is not one of them.

All cardio releases endorphins and seratonin (feel good hormones). Makes you sleep better the natural way and is better than an anti-depressant pill (for most people who are not suffering from chronic or severe depression as I can't comment on that. It is case by case no doubt).
    Here it is again.
    It was entirely incorrect the first time. Posting it again doesn't make it any less so. You completely misunderstand substrate utilization and energy pathways/usage.

You beat me to it!
    Well then prove it. Don't just talk the talk. Evidence please!

In a previous thread you were provided with peer reviewed research suggesting that your opinions were incorrect. You did not read the evidence.

In this situation, if someone posts evidence that you are wrong, will you read it and change your stance on this, or will you just continue on with your current beliefs despite evidence?
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was fine with what you posted until you basically assumed that people who jump on the elliptical most likely aren't doing it for cardiovascular benefits. How come you assume this? Before I continue, I like weights and cardio. I NEED the cardio for the cardiovascular benefits because of horrible family history. I don't have a problem with anyone doing a workout they feel is best. I have a problem with the assumptions. So what if people do cardio to eat more so they can be at a deficit. I would rather see someone in the gym doing something than sitting on their butt watching. So do your thing and let others do theirs ;)

Edited to add (because other's commented while I was): I know tons of people who work out and none of them hate the cardio (and this includes the overweight people I do classes with) You must not know the right people.