Where's the evidence re: aspartame, msg, carbs, gmo etc?

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
The purpose of this thread is simple, if you think aspartame, msg, carbs, gmo foods, animal protein etc etc are bad for you, simply post a few links to the human studies that show it is bad for you. This is not for conspiracies on why there is no evidence something is harmful, simply present some of the current literature that shows that it is.

With all the people here who climb out the woodwork to tell people how bad something is, surely there is evidence that those people are basing their conclusions on.

Note: This is not saying that if there is no evidence something is bad for you, that it is good for you. Just at the present time, there is no evidence to warrant the fear mongering over such substances.

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    In
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wanna see a picture of me with hives when I eat MSG? It's sexy. Honest.

*lick lick*
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If my grandma were a member, she'd be attaching newspaper clippings about cancer. I still get them in the mail...thank God she doesn't have email. I absolutely agree with you though.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :heart:

*pulls up a chair*
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :heart:

*pulls up a chair*

Bring one for me.
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options

*lick lick*

An allergy to a certain food item, does not mean that it is harmful to the average person, just you. I know lots of people that are allergic to peanuts and/or milk, but neither one of those things deserves to be labeled as bad. It is bad for them, but not as a standard.

*editted for spelling
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    From what I have read about it, the most dangerous things about GMO foods is #1) no one is required to study their long term effects prior to releasing them into the food supply and #2) the potential for cross pollination between GMO fields and non-GMO fields is fairly high - making even the effort to label GMO foods as such, nearly useless.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    BUMP
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    In, because I like to learn stuff.
  • odusgolp
    Options

*lick lick*

An allergy to a certain food item, does not mean that it is harmful to the average person, just you. I know lots of people that are allergic to peanuts and/or milk, but neither one of those things deserves to be labeled as bad. It is bad for them, but not as a standard.

*editted for spelling

I was just offering up sexy pics, yo.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's funny how quiet it gets when people ask for facts instead of opinion :laugh:

Increasing brain tumor rates: is there a link to aspartame?

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/8939194/reload=0;jsessionid=NdUepxNYjxYdskJaLoaH.6

"The recent finding that the aspartame molecule has mutagenic potential, and the close temporal association (aspartame was introduced into US food and beverage markets several years prior to the sharp increase in brain tumor incidence and malignancy). We conclude that there is need for reassessing the carcinogenic potential of aspartame."
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Well in that case, can you post a pic of you eating a pickle? LOL oh..wait.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    To my knowledge...

Aspartame is fine, unless you have problems digesting phenylalanine (PKU if you know what that is.)
    MSG is fine unless excessive amounts are used
    Carbohydrates are fine unless they cannot be regulated.
    GMO, Not sure where you're going with this.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Well in that case, can you post a pic of you eating a pickle? LOL oh..wait.

You should see what happens when I eat avocado :tongue:
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Does Jessie Ventura's website count as evidence? j/k

It actually would be nice to see some peer reviewed studies on those topics. I honestly want to know if there is evidence.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's funny how quiet it gets when people ask for facts instead of opinion :laugh:

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/8939194/reload=0;jsessionid=NdUepxNYjxYdskJaLoaH.6

"The recent finding that the aspartame molecule has mutagenic potential, and the close temporal association (aspartame was introduced into US food and beverage markets several years prior to the sharp increase in brain tumor incidence and malignancy). We conclude that there is need for reassessing the carcinogenic potential of aspartame."

This study only suggests that an increase in brain tumors has occurred since the introduction of aspartame. It does not exclude other potential factors, and recommends more formal studies be performed to examine the possibility that aspartame could be the cause for the rise in brain tumors. Only reading the abstract, I'm not sure if they identified specific types of brain tumors or just brain tumors in general. This study is not definitive.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    ... simply post a few links to the human studies...

The majority of studies that the science community has completed have been animal based. It is those findings that is behind the scientific community calling for the FDA to fully/futher evaluate the health effects of those chemicals and such. Also, the time frame in which this concern has come to the fore front is relatively short - probably back to just around 2005. The very few human studies have been done are of a short time frame, have small sampling sizes, and have been somewhat non-conclusive.

The studies I have seen relating things like soft drinks and such to cardiovascualr disease and what not, I still think that is just related to over indulgence of sugars and carbs. I dunno about that.

Mmmmm....Pepsi.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    The studies I have seen relating things like soft drinks and such to cardiovascualr disease and what not, I still think that is just related to over indulgence of sugars and carbs. I dunno about that.

Mmmmm....Pepsi.

I would take it a step further and say that it's related to the overindulgence of calories which leads to obesity which causes all kinds of issues.
  • SideSteel
    Options

This study only suggests that an increase in brain tumors has occurred since the introduction of aspartame. It does not exclude other potential factors, and recommends more formal studies be performed to examine the possibility that aspartame could be the cause for the rise in brain tumors. Only reading the abstract, I'm not sure if they identified specific types of brain tumors or just brain tumors in general. This study is not definitive.

Additionally, the particular rat study that they are using re: brain tumor incidence showed issues beginning at a dosage equivalent to around 20mg/kg. For a 220lb male, this is 2000mg which is equivalent to 11 cans of diet soda per day.

Granted, this does fall well under the current ADI.