Where's the evidence re: aspartame, msg, carbs, gmo etc?

Options

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's like carbonated vinegar made from a fungus. It tastes great as long as you completely mask the taste with other things.

Thanks... I'll take my chances with the aspartame. LOL!

LOL. It is NOT carbonated vinegar. Blech.

And it's not a fungus. It's tea fermented with a wonderful science fiction thing called a scoby, which is bacteria and yeast, I think. It's naturally carbonated, which is why I like it since it gives me that soda fizz. To me, it tastes sort of like a fruity Belgian beer. It's pretty low calorie and good for your gut. It is an acquired taste, and you have to try a bunch of flavors to find the ones you like. I'm a fan of GT's Multi-green. Looks awful, lots of green floaty things in it. Tastes great.

It has a small amount of alcohol from the fermentation. It used to give me a little buzz, but then they pulled all kombucha off the market for a couple of months because they realized that the longer it sat on the shelf, the more it fermented, the higher the alcohol content. They did some back room hippie magic at the Kombucha PROCESSING PLANT and now it's back on the shelves and no more buzz.

Yeast = fungus.

I like some flavors of kombucha but the straight-up made from tea one with nothing added is pretty awful to me. It's like a non-fruity lambic.

Probably true. I don't think I've ever had straight-up kombucha without fruit.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just tagging cause this is hilarious. And I might learn something. But mostly it's just hilarious.

Hi honey! May I offer you a diet coke and some organic cherry tomatoes while you're here?

what else?

Hrmmm... fresh out of booze. Still at work. But I also have some Raw Almonds & Frigo Cheesehead Swirls!
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I must say that these threads help me figure out who I'd like to friend request.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    msg

Not to single out MSG alone, rather too much sodium in general, this was in the news today. (I know MSG is lower in sodium than sodium chloride (table salt) )

Too much salt may trigger autoimmune diseases: studies

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/07/us-salt-disease-idUSBRE9251BQ20130307
    Increased salt consumption may be a key culprit behind rising rates of autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, researchers reported on Wednesday in a trio of papers looking at the role of a specific class of cells linked with inflammation.

Reporting in the journal Nature, the researchers said high-salt diets increased levels of a type of immune cell linked with autoimmune disease. And mice genetically engineered to develop multiple sclerosis (MS) got much worse when they ate what amounted to a high-salt Western diet compared with mice who had more moderate salt intake.

The findings suggest that salt may play a previously unknown role in triggering autoimmune diseases such as MS or type 1 diabetes in individuals who are already genetically predisposed.

One of the studies related to it.

http://www.jimmunol.org/cgi/content/short/188/1_MeetingAbstracts/60.13?rss=1

... too much of anything can be a bad thing :)
    Thus, increased salt intake, which may represents one of the biggest contributors to changes in diet during the last half century and accounts for cardiovascular disease, might also represent an environmental risk factor for autoimmune diseases through the exacerbated induction of pathogenic Th17 cells.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I'm surprised nobody has commented on this human study that I posted. Did you read it?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22681873

Can you attach the full study and not just the abstract? Thanks!
  • judydelo1
    Options
    The purpose of this thread is simple, if you think aspartame, msg, carbs, gmo foods, animal protein etc etc are bad for you, simply post a few links to the human studies that show it is bad for you. This is not for conspiracies on why there is no evidence something is harmful, simply present some of the current literature that shows that it is.

With all the people here who climb out the woodwork to tell people how bad something is, surely there is evidence that those people are basing their conclusions on.

Note: This is not saying that if there is no evidence something is bad for you, that it is good for you. Just at the present time, there is no evidence to warrant the fear mongering over such substances.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on this human study that I posted. Did you read it?

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) intake is associated with the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in a rural Thai population.
    Insawang T, Selmi C, Cha'on U, Pethlert S, Yongvanit P, Areejitranusorn P, Boonsiri P, Khampitak T, Tangrassameeprasert R, Pinitsoontorn C, Prasongwattana V, Gershwin ME, Hammock BD.
    Source
    Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, 40002, Thailand. ubocha@kku.ac.th.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    Epidemiology and animal models suggest that dietary monosodium glutamate (MSG) may contribute to the onset of obesity and the metabolic syndrome.
    METHODS:
    Families (n = 324) from a rural area of Thailand were selected and provided MSG as the sole source for the use in meal preparation for 10 days. Three hundred forty-nine subjects aged 35-55 years completed the study and were evaluated for energy and nutrient intake, physical activity, and tobacco smoking. The prevalence of overweight and obesity (BMI ≥ 25 kg/m2), insulin resistance (HOMA-IR >3), and the metabolic syndrome (ATP III criteria) were evaluated according to the daily MSG intake.
    RESULTS:
    The prevalence of the metabolic syndrome was significantly higher in the tertile with the highest MSG intake. Further, every 1 g increase in MSG intake significantly increased the risk of having the metabolic syndrome (odds ratio 1.14, 95% confidence interval-CI- 1.12 - 1.28) or being overweight (odds ratio 1.16, 95% CI 1.04 - 1.29), independent of the total energy intake and the level of physical activity.
    CONCLUSION:
    Higher amounts of individual MSG consumption are associated with the risk of having the metabolic syndrome and being overweight independent of other major determinants.

Here once again is the conclusion to this human study on MSG. Has anyone read this?

CONCLUSION:
    Higher amounts of individual MSG consumption are associated with the risk of having the metabolic syndrome and being overweight independent of other major determinants.
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is a deviation from the original topic, but think about why the FDA even lets crap out on the market that Big Pharma puts outs.

Listening to the FDA which sits in the pocket of Big Pharma is like leaving a wolf to look after the sheep. Traditional modern medicine is never into anything that will be good for you because they want to heal you with the crap that is dished out by Big Pharma.

This is my opinion and is based on a lot of reading I have done ever since I lost a friend to cancer when we were 12 y.o. Big Pharma doesn't want anyone to find a cure to cancer, the cancer industry is worth billions of dollars to them. Any any product they want on the market even if it is dangerous long term they will find a way for the FDA to give it their stamp of approval.

Added: http://www.relfe.com/aspartame_92.html
  • judydelo1
    Options

Here you go

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/9/1/50
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    This is a deviation from the original topic, but think about why the FDA even lets crap out on the market that Big Pharma puts outs.

Listening to the FDA which sits in the pocket of Big Pharma is like leaving a wolf to look after the sheep. Traditional modern medicine is never into anything that will be good for you because they want to heal you with the crap that is dished out by Big Pharma.

This is my opinion and is based on a lot of reading I have done ever since I lost a friend to cancer when we were 12 y.o. Big Pharma doesn't want anyone to find a cure to cancer, the cancer industry is worth billions of dollars to them. Any any product they want on the market even if it is dangerous long term they will find a way for the FDA to give it their stamp of approval.

$$$$$$$$

that's why.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Here you go

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/9/1/50

Thanks
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oh Im in for this one!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    It's like carbonated vinegar made from a fungus. It tastes great as long as you completely mask the taste with other things.

And it's not a fungus. It's tea fermented with a wonderful science fiction thing called a scoby, which is bacteria and yeast, I think. It's naturally carbonated, which is why I like it since it gives me that soda fizz. To me, it tastes sort of like a fruity Belgian beer. It's pretty low calorie and good for your gut. It is an acquired taste, and you have to try a bunch of flavors to find the ones you like. I'm a fan of GT's Multi-green. Looks awful, lots of green floaty things in it. Tastes great.

It has a small amount of alcohol from the fermentation. It used to give me a little buzz, but then they pulled all kombucha off the market for a couple of months because they realized that the longer it sat on the shelf, the more it fermented, the higher the alcohol content. They did some back room hippie magic at the Kombucha PROCESSING PLANT and now it's back on the shelves and no more buzz.

would try but alcohol bad for my liver....
  • judydelo1
    Options
    I have a friend that is irreparably, neurologically jammed up from consuming aspartame products for years. So when I see someone I care about following that path, I feel compelled to talk about it. When it comes up on forums like this, I feel compelled to talk about it.

What condition did they acquire and how was this proven to be caused by aspartame?

She had neurological symptoms that kept getting worse and worse to the point where she couldn't coordinate her brain with her hands, limbs, mouth, etc. At her worst she couldn't feed herself, dress herself or walk without assistance. She also had trouble speaking. Her husband brought her to a stream of doctors and no one could figure out what was happening. Her husband was freaking out because her neurological function kept deteriorating at a pretty rapid pace.

She had been drinking diet soda and other diet drinks for years. She bought everything "sugar free". A well meaning coworker brought it to the husband's attention that it could be the aspartame. He went right home and emptied out the pantry. As soon as she stopped taking aspartame, her symptoms stopped getting worse. And after a few months she did show improvements but she is still jammed up.

So someone you know experienced symptoms that doctors couldn't identify, and apparently still can't, you assumed it was the aspartame and then several MONTHS after eliminating the aspartame, she has begun to improve. Obviously, it couldn't be anything else, especially since she is now completely aspartame-free... still having symptoms... but that damn aspartame just had to be the culprit!

I honestly don't think you are qualified to make that coorelation... particularly when you are only talking about one subject out of the entire population.

As I said, after she stopped with the aspartame her symptoms immediately stopped getting worse. As I said, her symptoms had been getting worse each day at an alarming rate. Then when she stopped the aspartame the symptoms stopped getting any worse. And after a few months off of it she did start to make some improvements (as her nervous system began the task of trying to repair itself I would assume). ANd yes this is an anecdotal story. Did I say I am an expert? I began by saying that this happened to a friend and when I see others that I care about consuming a lot of sugar free stuff I feel compelled to share this story and information I have read regarding this stuff. Relax.
  • rm7161
    Options
    Chronic inflammation is a key feature of insulin resistance and obesity(TLR4 is important to modulating insulin resistance))[1]

The saturated fatty acid (SFA) palmitate induces insulin resistance in cultured skeletal muscle cells, which may be related to NF-kappaB activation. Collectively, these results demonstrate that SFA-induced NF-kappaB activation coincides with insulin resistance and depends on FA chain length.

So now we have NF-kB linked to insulin resistance. Chronic high levels of glucose can lead to insulin resistance. NF-kB is also linked to simple carbs. [3]

A 3 months study comparing a paleo diet to a diabetics diet concluded the paleo diet improved glycemic control. [4]

A diet that has lower GI foods lowered lower inflammation to a greater degree compared to an isocaloric diet with a higher carbohydrate and lower protein content although the weight loss was the same.[5]

Funny how last year you guys where bashing paleo because there was no "evidence," here it is now. I got many more paleo studies if you want them.

1.http://www.hindawi.com/journals/grp/2010/212563
    2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18957619
    3. http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20071126/refined-carbohydrates-up-diabetes-risk
    4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19604407
    5.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17189547

You don't have to eat hardcore paleo to up your protein intake and moderately reduce carbohydrates, with an eye to glycemic loads.
  • slimviv2012
    slimviv2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is lots of evidence to support that aspartame is deadly. Some countries have actually banned it. Just google it.
    Coca cola are lying on their website when they say it is safe. They send workers in protective clothing to mop up spillages of it
    in their factories. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, the evidence has been about for years, just look it up. Don't know about the rest.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    How about OP go ahead and consume that stuff and when you get ill and/or die we will do a study on your body and have our evidence.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    The point is that if you are like me and love soda. You shouldn't eliminate from your diet just because someone somewhere said that 2% of 68,000 women got a brain cancer AND there is a POSSIBILITY that diet soda caused it.

That's like saying I should avoid driving because 300 people died on my state's highway system this year.

I understand what you are trying to say with this, but that is really not a great comparison. Many people need to drive for work and other life related norms. You certainly don't NEED soda. Of course, the arguement could be made we don't really NEED to drive either, but then we digress to minimalist theory and we should all get the hell off the Internet and start chipping away our notes on stone tablets.

Anyway...

The OP knows there aren't conclusive HUMAN studies, which was the point of the post. Even though there are plenty of animal tests, and a good post about reasons there are few comprehesive human tests, it's all really moot.

Conspiracy theory could say that people are against the chemicals because of media hype without facts. And the counter arguement could be made in the same vein that pharma companies and PAC's keep the FDA from really doing anything about it.

it's a choice to err with whichever side you might want to believe. As the OP wisely stated, just because a study doesn't exist to prove something is bad, doesn't mean it is good. But taking inconclusive studies as absolute fact is not correct either.
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've read countless stuff on why many of these artificial chemicals and etc. are horrible for you. Plenty of studies out there that link them to cancer and just about every one chronic disease. I'm not going to spend my time looking them all up, it's so obvious. You can believe what you want despite study, and then counter study, but why the hell even risk it if there's even a possibility this stuff gives you cancer and whatever else? Just eat real food as much as possible...
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

would try but alcohol bad for my liver....

Aw, come on. Live a little.

Unless you're recovering. Then don't.
  • rm7161
    Options
    Pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the majority of artificial sweeteners, aside the fact that they don't taste very good for the most part. I prefer sucralose to aspartame, but I don't eat too much of it because of the erm, laxative effect. Stevia tastes alright for the most part, too. (that one is natural)

Some people need to be careful of sugar intake, and they are quite helpful for that purpose. If you don't like it, don't eat it... no problem.

The whole "natural" thing is a big pet peeve of mine... just think, cyanide is natural too! Smells like almonds (think marzipan) for a reason...