Where's the evidence re: aspartame, msg, carbs, gmo etc?

Options

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen the movies or read Forks Over Knives or Genetic Roulette? I think you'll find your evidence there. Dr. Mercola and and The Institute For Responsible Technology are two more reliable source that deserve a google search!!!

are they on netflix?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I see this is still going....
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

It will end when you finish that damned pickle!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    While I don't know that msg in low amounts is "bad" there is evidence of health risks from a diet high in sodium, and msg adds a lot of sodium.

GMO is a little more tricky as it's a very broad category. I mean GMO X could be perfectly safe while GMO Y carries health risks. I don't know of any research showing health risks associated with any GMO foods, but I must say that vehement refusal to label GMO foods does make the conspiracy theory nerd in me perk up a little. I don’t know that I’d avoid all GMO if it was labeled. But I still think it should be labeled.

Aspartame has been tested enough that it's probably safe for most people. But it has such a nasty after taste that it's no worry for me personally.

Personally, I worry more about animal fat and farming practices than animal protein.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen the movies or read Forks Over Knives or Genetic Roulette? I think you'll find your evidence there. Dr. Mercola and and The Institute For Responsible Technology are two more reliable source that deserve a google search!!!

Mercola is a quack. I wouldn't call him a "reliable source."
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

It will end when you finish that damned pickle!

A pickle a day keeps the doctor away :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    There are 239 posts in this thread asking for evidence. I already know the internet too well to read through it expecting to find anything, but I had to ask, was there even a single valid post in response to the OP?
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    While I don't know that msg in low amounts is "bad" there is evidence of health risks from a diet high in sodium, and msg adds a lot of sodium.

Three times lower in sodium than table salt. That being said, I doubt too much MSG is good for you, same as too much salt isn't. So it's a dosage issue.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There are 239 posts in this thread asking for evidence. I already know the internet too well to read through it expecting to find anything, but I had to ask, was there even a single valid post in response to the OP?

Of course. Mine.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'd agree but some of these guys preach eating ice cram everyday.
    They do it because they are jerks. They know EXACTLY what they are doing when they brag about that. They are rubbing it in the faces of those who struggle to lose. They know that the majority of people here are hurt, are suffering, are overweight, or are obese, uneducated on health and nutrition, are sick, are depressed about their current condition and are wanting to change. Wanting to learn. They make sure YOU KNOW, THEY CAN and YOU CAN'T so what is wrong with YOU and how cool are they? It is very immature and very rude. It's as if they are in junior high. Like I said, they know what they are doing. Why do they think we care? What is the purpose of getting on MFP and saying, "look at my six pack and I eat ice cream every day." It's like me sitting outside of an AA meeting with a beer on a hot day and making slurping noises as I drink it, holding it up to the member saying, "I do this every day, but in moderation and I'm not an alcoholic". I CAN, you can't ;) just making sure you all know. But hey, I do it in moderation and I STILL am not an alcoholic. " Or more in comparison would be to go to an AA forum online and post I drink wine every night with dinner and am not an alcoholic. Just childish! Just cruel and completely stupid.

Truth is they never really experienced obesity. They really had nothing to push through or fight for to be where they are at today.
    Ask these people anything about the psychological aspect of weight loss. How do you take someone severely obese and get them in to shape? They wouldn't know where to begin. They never been there.

You have absolutely no idea about people's lives and what they have had to go through to get where they are. I can also name many people on here who where obese and who eat ice cream all the time...and I know you know they are here.
  • rm7161
    Options

They do it because they are jerks. They know EXACTLY what they are doing when they brag about that. They are rubbing it in the faces of those who struggle to lose. They know that the majority of people here are hurt, are suffering, are overweight, or are obese, uneducated on health and nutrition, are sick, are depressed about their current condition and are wanting to change. Wanting to learn. They make sure YOU KNOW, THEY CAN and YOU CAN'T so what is wrong with YOU and how cool are they? It is very immature and very rude. It's as if they are in junior high. Like I said, they know what they are doing. Why do they think we care? What is the purpose of getting on MFP and saying, "look at my six pack and I eat ice cream every day." It's like me sitting outside of an AA meeting with a beer on a hot day and making slurping noises as I drink it, holding it up to the member saying, "I do this every day, but in moderation and I'm not an alcoholic". I CAN, you can't ;) just making sure you all know. But hey, I do it in moderation and I STILL am not an alcoholic. " Or more in comparison would be to go to an AA forum online and post I drink wine every night with dinner and am not an alcoholic. Just childish! Just cruel and completely stupid.

Truth is they never really experienced obesity. They really had nothing to push through or fight for to be where they are at today.
    Ask these people anything about the psychological aspect of weight loss. How do you take someone severely obese and get them in to shape? They wouldn't know where to begin. They never been there.

You have absolutely no idea about people's lives and what they have had to go through to get where they are. I can also name many people on here who where obese and who eat ice cream all the time...and I know you know they are here.

Question is, who will die first in the long run?

Telomeres have more to do with how long you live than anything.

Genetics.

General calorie restriction actually has a beneficial effect on telomere length. It's not about insulin, its about not eating too much, period.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130123133852.htm
    According to a study carried out by a team led by María Blasco, the director of the Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO) and head of the Telomeres and Telomerase Group, a sustained lowering of food intake over time results in an increase of telomere length -- the ends of chromosomes -- in adult mice, which has a protective effect on the DNA and genetic material.

For every study there is a counter study... heh. A little bit of ice cream won't hurt you. A lot of anything could.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Sorry, I do not have my crystal ball. However, your question is completely irrelevant to the comment I made.

You said that were never obese. There are many that are, a fact which I know you are aware. How does your comment address that glaring factual inaccuracy?
  • rm7161
    Options
    Well eating too much does increase free radicals which does decrease life span(enjoy your bulking cycles). HIgh levels of insulin also does decrease life span. Good example is type 2 diabetics, their life span is shorter if they have the disease compared to i they did not.

I don't have bulking cycles, not a body builder. I do employ caloric restriction. (kinda the whole point of MyFitnessPal is to log calories)

Everything can raise your insulin, even protein raises your insulin, shrug. Eating raises your insulin. Overeating is bad, I think that is fairly obvious.

edit: re bulking and bodybuilders, I have no idea how the body changes when eating more with a corresponding raising of the levels of physical activity. Could well be that for those folks, it all evens out. That's just a wild guess though. I know for a fact, that when someone is sedentary and eating that much, is bad.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

The OP knows where I get my information.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Telomeres have more to do with how long you live than anything.

Genetics.

General calorie restriction actually has a beneficial effect on telomere length. It's not about insulin, its about not eating too much, period.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130123133852.htm
    According to a study carried out by a team led by María Blasco, the director of the Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO) and head of the Telomeres and Telomerase Group, a sustained lowering of food intake over time results in an increase of telomere length -- the ends of chromosomes -- in adult mice, which has a protective effect on the DNA and genetic material.

For every study there is a counter study... heh.

Well eating too much does increase free radicals which does decrease life span(enjoy your bulking cycles). HIgh levels of insulin also does decrease life span. Good example is type 2 diabetics, their life span is shorter if they have the disease compared to i they did not.
    Is this in active individuals or inactive? Better yet. I am going to pose this question to Alan Aragon, Ian McCarthy, and Eric Helms. Let me see if they can chime in.
  • rm7161
    Options
    Is this in active individuals or inactive? Better yet. I am going to pose this question to Alan Aragon, Ian McCarthy, and Eric Helms. Let me see if they can chime in.

Don't those guys have a major in nutrition? This is biochemisty at the PhD level. Give it a shot and ask, also mention this to them
    Chronic inflammation is a key feature of insulin resistance and obesity(TLR4 is important to modulating insulin resistance))[1]

The saturated fatty acid (SFA) palmitate induces insulin resistance in cultured skeletal muscle cells, which may be related to NF-kappaB activation. Collectively, these results demonstrate that SFA-induced NF-kappaB activation coincides with insulin resistance and depends on FA chain length.

So now we have NF-kB linked to insulin resistance. Chronic high levels of glucose can lead to insulin resistance. NF-kB is also linked to simple carbs. [3]

A 3 months study comparing a paleo diet to a diabetics diet concluded the paleo diet improved glycemic control. [4]

A diet that has lower GI foods lowered lower inflammation to a greater degree compared to an isocaloric diet with a higher carbohydrate and lower protein content although the weight loss was the same.[5]

Funny how last year you guys where bashing paleo because there was no "evidence," here it is now. I got many more paleo studies if you want them.

1.http://www.hindawi.com/journals/grp/2010/212563
    2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18957619
    3. http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20071126/refined-carbohydrates-up-diabetes-risk
    4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19604407

Just FYI, when they are talking about chronic inflammation and insulin resistance, might want to keep this one in mind.

Fat cells in obese individuals are also responsible for this response, and this problem may not exist in people who have low bodyfat levels.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130305145145.htm

Mar. 5, 2013 — The inflammation of fat tissue is part of a spiraling series of events that leads to the development of type 2 diabetes in some obese people. But researchers have not understood what triggers the inflammation, or why.

In Cell Metabolism this month (cover), scientists from The Methodist Hospital report fat cells themselves are at least partly to blame -- high calorie diets cause the cells to make major histocompatibility complex II, a group of proteins usually expressed to help the immune system fight off viruses and bacteria. In overweight mice and humans the fat cells, or adipocytes, are issuing false distress signals -- they are not under attack by pathogens. But this still sends local immune cells into a tizzy, and that causes inflammation.

"We did not know fat cells could instigate the inflammatory response," said principal investigator and Methodist Diabetes & Metabolism Institute Director Willa Hsueh, M.D. "That's because for a very long time we thought these cells did little else besides store and release energy. But what we have learned is that adipocytes don't just rely on local resident immune cells for protection -- they play a very active role in their own defense. And that's not always a good thing."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Sorry, I do not have my crystal ball. However, your question is completely irrelevant to the comment I made.
    You did mention eating ice cream all the time didn't you? It is relevant.

I have talked to a lot of people who have lost over 100lbs. Funny thing is most of them don't know much about nutrition or even exercise. What did they did works, as you know fat loss is simple.

3 people come to mind.

person 1:
    Ate 1,200 calories a day, and exercised.

Person 2:
    Don't know his calorie limit but was on the elliptical about 2hrs a day.

Person 3:
    This person would eat about 1,000 calories a day (a man) lost over 250lbs.

You think this is the best way to get results?

Still trying to dodge the comment?

You: Truth is they never really experienced obesity.

Not true and you know it. It is also incorrect that the people who I know eat ice cream with regularity and who were obese know nothing about nutrition.

You: They really had nothing to push through or fight for to be where they are at today.

You have absolutely no idea about people's lives and what they have had to go through to get where they are.
  • rm7161
    Options

The interesting question is, If someone was over weight and lost weight supposedly the fat cells don't shrink. Are they just as prone to cellular inflammation as when they where obese/over weight?

Well, they shrink in size of course, you just don't lose any fat cells. As far as I know, you will always have the same number of them.

So its possible that someone who had been overweight has to watch it more than someone who never was. But I really don't know... I am just stabbing a wild guess here.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You did mention eating ice cream all the time didn't you? It is relevant.

I have talked to a lot of people who have lost over 100lbs. Funny thing is most of them don't know much about nutrition or even exercise. What did they did works, as you know fat loss is simple.

3 people come to mind.

person 1:
    Ate 1,200 calories a day, and exercised.

Person 2:
    Don't know his calorie limit but was on the elliptical about 2hrs a day.

Person 3:
    This person would eat about 1,000 calories a day (a man) lost over 250lbs.

You think this is the best way to get results?

Still trying to dodge the comment?

You: Truth is they never really experienced obesity.

Not true and you know it. It is also incorrect that the people who I know eat ice cream with regularity and who were obese know nothing about nutrition.

You: They really had nothing to push through or fight for to be where they are at today.

You have absolutely no idea about people's lives and what they have had to go through to get where they are.

Um, i am not avoiding anything, you just don't understand. You mentioned ice cream, i replied to ice cream. Below is the "path/chain" of how what i said is linked to what you said,...

Lets go back to where this discussion started. It started with that girl about most people being jerks and bragging about the food they eat.

The people who do that haven't been through what i mentioned above. Lets put the puzzle pieces together because my logic is so flawed.

If you were obese you would know it's not cool at all to be doing that stuff in the first place.If you do this i am pretty sure you weren't obese. So this common still stands. My original comment still stands.

Now you're just making things up. I never said people who eat ice cream know noting about nutrition.

Lol - I quoted you. How am I making things up? Your statement was, and still is, incorrect.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Do you actually read any of the studies you post?

Funny how last year you guys where bashing paleo because there was no "evidence," here it is now. I got many more paleo studies if you want them.

1.http://www.hindawi.com/journals/grp/2010/212563

^^Identifies a receptor that may be responsible for gene expression^^ No mention of Paleo.

Identifies a link between long-chain-fatty-acids and insulin resistance. Hardly a glowing recommendation for Paleo.

From the article:
    "Whole-Grain Cereal Fights Diabetes"

Whole-grain is Paleo now? Who knew?

And, finally, an article that actually mentions Paleo. But wait:

the Paleolithic diet was lower in total energy, energy density,

So it wasn't compared to an isocaloric diet. So, we can toss that out too.

Nice try, thanks for playing.

Now Vanna will send you home with a copy of our home game.