MFP not helping or showing support, just being rude!

Options

Replies

• supergirljen
    Options
    . I'm tired of your so-called "old timers" acting like they own the place and give demeaning responses to threads they shouldn't even bother answering.

People should remember the old saying, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". If you don't agree with something, you can say it in a polite manner.

Demeaning responses being..."No." Or "That won't work." Or "Try the search function, there is more information there than I can convey to you in a single post."???

Because that's what I see people getting upset about. It's ridiculous.

Seriously, if I become an "old timer" on here I'm going to shoot myself in the face.

Right!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why all the "old timers" have to even respond to these overly asked questions. You don't "own" these boards just because you have 2,000+ posts under your belt. When I first started I didnt realize there was a search option. (Yes, I didn't look very hard.) If people would just respond to these questions with a suggestion to do a search for the answer instead of their snide, snarky, "i'm so cool cuz I have posted 2,000xs" answers, the newbies wouldn't get this negative impression.

They reply because despite threads like this one, they are still keen to give advice Just because people don't give the answers the OP is looking for, or says it in the way the OP or other readers would say, then the OP and others get offended.

Every member of MFP has the right to respond to any post they wish. There is no criteria of length of time here or number of posts already made.

People need to get tougher if they want to use the forums. This is the internet. You like what you read great, you don't like it...move on....creating and fuelling posts like this is not making it any better.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    And on the flip side , there are a load of stickied threads above for Newbies to read, so that they understand how MFP is designed to work.

And a search function.

I would recommend any new people to take the time to read those stickies, and also try searching first before asking a question, as many of the rude answers are because old timers are fed up of seeing the same questions repeated time and time again.

So if people do a bit of reasearch, they can find their answer without getting a "WTF not this question again!!", which could put them off asking next time they have a question.

QFT!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why all the "old timers" have to even respond to these overly asked questions. You don't "own" these boards just because you have 2,000+ posts under your belt. When I first started I didnt realize there was a search option. (Yes, I didn't look very hard.) If people would just respond to these questions with a suggestion to do a search for the answer instead of their snide, snarky, "i'm so cool cuz I have posted 2,000xs" answers, the newbies wouldn't get this negative impression.

*said, not in a defensive or accusatory tone, but more because I am curious*
    would you prefer that "old timers" not be active in the forums, or perhaps segregated into a "retirement community of sorts"
    perhaps we could create an Old Folks Home group, and then all the younger people can come visit the old timers when they want snippets of wisdom. And the old folks can play backgammon and wish their kids would stop by once in a while...

It's kind of amusing in a way, because isn't that what often happens in real life? the teenagers ignore their parent's advice because they know better... and their parents are SO MEAN... and yet... when they become parents themselves, they start behaving the EXACT SAME WAY.

Does it mean that the parent has changed, or the teenager?
    Is it the parent that was rude, or was it that the child was unwilling to hear?

Should the parent let the child do whatever they want, and not take any corrective action?

aka... no more spankings!

IMO... no thank you, I'd rather learn now, than wait until my habits are set and I struggle with changing them.

ETA... and spankings can be fun :laugh:
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

They reply because despite threads like this one, they are still keen to give advice Just because people don't give the answers the OP is looking for, or says it in the way the OP or other readers would say, then the OP and others get offended.

Every member of MFP has the right to respond to any post they wish. There is no criteria of length of time here or number of posts already made.

People need to get tougher if they want to use the forums. This is the internet. You like what you read great, you don't like it...move on....creating and fuelling posts like this is not making it any better.

Furthermore, wouldn't you rather the "old timers" who aren't new and are successful in living healthy answer your question? I would much rather hear from the people who have succeeded and tend to be well researched.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options

im sorry, by 'old timers' do you mean those who have successfully reached their goal?

do you only want answers from other people on day two?

confused
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options

would you prefer that "old timers" not be active in the forums, or perhaps segregated into a "retirement community of sorts"
    perhaps we could create an Old Folks Home group, and then all the younger people can come visit the old timers when they want snippets of wisdom. And the old folks can play backgammon and wish their kids would stop by once in a while...

It's kind of amusing in a way, because isn't that what often happens in real life? the teenagers ignore their parent's advice because they know better... and their parents are SO MEAN... and yet... when they become parents themselves, they start behaving the EXACT SAME WAY.

Should the parent let the child do whatever they want, and not take any corrective action?

IMO... no thank you, I'd rather learn now, than wait until my habits are set and I struggle with changing them.

HUMPS YOU
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so your saying if you have 1000 + posts you can't reply to threads? Real nice...

I said 2000+...but I guess 1000+ works too, as you have proved.

wait, I am mean because I replied to your wise *kitten* thread??? I wish I could live in that universe....

Additionally, I was not the one who proposed segregation of "old timers"....wouldn't you want advice from people who have had success?
  • ndj1979
    Options

im sorry, by 'old timers' do you mean those who have successfully reached their goal?

do you only want answers from other people on day two?

confused

that makes two of us....
  • silky_kitten
    silky_kitten Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Just here for the spankings! :love:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Uh oh Mirey I'm confused about BMR again! I'm supposed to eat 20% under BMR plus eat back my ketones, right? Darn. Spanktime?
    With love,
    Burt
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    A tool is what you make of it.
  • MireyGal76
    Options

Uh oh Mirey I'm confused about BMR again! I'm supposed to eat 20% under BMR plus eat back my ketones, right? Darn. Spanktime?
    With love,
    Burt

get your *kitten* over here... *whack*

no you cannot have keytones for dinner... they're snack food!
  • ndj1979
    Options

With love,
    Burt

no no, don't do that you will go into starvation mode...

You need to not eat anything for three days; you then do a month cleanse to detox all toxins, once this is complete you drink ketone smoothies for one week; at end of this period, resume normal eating of 30% above maintenance...
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Being polite never hurt nobody.

Or did it? :laugh:
  • MireyGal76
    Options

Just here for the spankings! :love:

uh-ohs... I have a feeling I'm going to have to alternate hands with all da spankings to dispense!
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    i completly agree with all of this. i have been judged and have had comments made to me about my lack of food and nutrition knowledge by nutrition nerds, and also have had vile comments off of some girls on here over the way i look.
    end of the day, we're all on here for the same reason. they wouldnt say half of this stuff to your face if they saw you in person. its just cowards hiding behind a keyboard at the end of the day.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Some questions defy common sense.

Yep
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Don't let people on the boards discourage you. Do your best and focus on what works best for you. There is some good information here for sure but unfortunately, it's not all positive, all the time.

At the end of the day, anything negative you hear here is just from a stranger on the internet....brush it off.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    . I'm tired of your so-called "old timers" acting like they own the place and give demeaning responses to threads they shouldn't even bother answering.

People should remember the old saying, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". If you don't agree with something, you can say it in a polite manner.

Demeaning responses being..."No." Or "That won't work." Or "Try the search function, there is more information there than I can convey to you in a single post."???

Because that's what I see people getting upset about. It's ridiculous.

Seriously, if I become an "old timer" on here I'm going to shoot myself in the face.

Right!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, right?? Cause, wouln't it be better to shoot yourself in the face than have reached all of your fitness goals? Like, ZOMG, these old farts on here!! Why can't we all just be starting out on our journeys?!
This discussion has been closed.