Eating Pop Tarts and ice cream daily.

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I maintain my original stance that Toaster Strudel is superior, if only for the icing drawings.

Please don't make me question our love. DON'T.
    If Pop Tarts ever come with icing packs that I can use to make obscene drawings with, I'll favor them instead.

Don't worry, babe. We can certainly find you some....icing..to draw on your poptarts with.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I don't get what's so hard to fathom that you can still hit your macros (and micros for that matter) but still have some calories left over for a little bit of what you fancy.

Let's take an average 30 something man of average height who needs 2,200 calories per day to lose weight at a reasonable place. Let's say he weighs 200 lbs and has a BF% of 20. He is involved in moderate levels of training.

He therefore has 160 lbs of LBM and 40lbs of fat. Let's say for the sake of argument he needs about 160 g of protein per day (1g per 1lb of lean mass) 65g or so of fat (roughly 1/3 of body weight) and 150g of carbs.

160g of protein x 4 cals per lb = 640 calories
    65g of fat x 9 cals per lb = 585 calories
    150g of carbs x 4 cals = 600 calories
    Total = 1,825 calories

This leaves 375 calories left over from the 2,200 calories as a discretionary allowance (10-20%) to use on whatever he may like after hitting some very decent macros and calorie intake.

Is anyone seriously suggesting that he will be unhealthy if he uses that amount per day on "junk" - which in itself has macro and micro nutrients. I mean, seriously?

nope, that's totally fine as long as you're hitting your micro RDA's as well. however there are SOME foods (like those containing trans fats, etc) that when consumed daily, even in small amounts, can do significant damage.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I maintain my original stance that Toaster Strudel is superior, if only for the icing drawings.

1. This is blasphemous...

...and 2. In for part 2.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Yes, see part 1. :noway:

Can I ask if I will learn anything of use in that thread?

I don't fancy reading 20 pages of posters failing to see the real life middle ground if that's what it was...
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    besides the obvious health benefits of blue dye # 1 found in pop tarts. u can also use it as interior paint.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I wish Ben and Jerry would make PopTart ice cream. I mean, Kellogg's makes ice cream flavored PopTarts, so why not the other way around?

That would be so awesome.
    Yes, YES, a THOUSAND TIMES YES!
  • myofibril
    Options

nope, that's totally fine as long as you're hitting your micro RDA's as well. however there are SOME foods (like those containing trans fats, etc) that when consumed daily, even in small amounts, can do significant damage.

Top banana.

I agree with you re: trans fats although naturally occurring trans fats aren't as troublesome as the man made variety.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    i missed part 1. but i'm in for the afterparty.
    You've got some homework to do!

let me guess... OP states that he;s doing great eating pop tarts and ice cream daily. then 20 pages ensue where people demand that "no it's bad for you, because it's bad for you" followed by "what does bad for you mean? i'm thriving like this!" followed by "but sugar! and toxins! they're bad bad bad"... etc, back and forth for 20 pages.

something like that?

And there was a bit about a Datsun being upgraded to a Ferari too I think...

And advice for Brits on how to track down the flavours our American cousins are lucky enough to have access to by shopping online...
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    i'm going to buy pop tarts and toaster strudels this evening. i will perform experiments. but these experiments will be biased.

Unless you have peer-reviewed evidence with a control group then your argument will be INVALID!
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I wish Ben and Jerry would make PopTart ice cream. I mean, Kellogg's makes ice cream flavored PopTarts, so why not the other way around?

That would be so awesome.
    Yes, YES, a THOUSAND TIMES YES!

http://www.benjerry.com/contact-us/suggest-a-flavor

Maybe if we all suggest it, they might get the hint and make it.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Give me all your ice cream and no one will get hurt.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    And there was a bit about a Datsun being upgraded to a Ferari too I think...

Didn't you know, that's what happens when you put realllly good fuel in a car. It . . . turns into a different . . . car.
    With love,
    Burt
  • myofibril
    Options
    Personally, I've never tried Pop Tarts for the sole reason that they sound freakin' disgusting...

*runs away*
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It rolled over...thank you. Thank you all. I never thought... /tear
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I don't fancy reading 20 pages of posters failing to see the real life middle ground if that's what it was...

Nope

Most people: all good in moderation
    a few people: butthurt whine whine that might work for you on your calorie allowance, but it won't work for me
    a few people: would rather have veggies. veggies =/= poptarts.
    one person: pop tarts = illegal drugs and smoking.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Top banana.

I agree with you re: trans fats although naturally occurring trans fats aren't as troublesome as the man made variety.

and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are found in a plethora of processed junk foods. thus the issue.
  • jamiesueaustin
    Options
    You guys ice cream makes me poop.

I know right? Who needs fiber? Psshhh

That's three votes for lactose intolerance!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Nope

Most people: all good in moderation
    a few people: butthurt whine whine that might work for you on your calorie allowance, but it won't work for me
    a few people: would rather have veggies. veggies =/= poptarts.
    ^^^
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

And advice for Brits on how to track down the flavours our American cousins are lucky enough to have access to by shopping online...

Ebay is all I can find.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Limited Edition Red Velvet Pop Tarts&_sop=15
  • myofibril
    Options

Hahahaha

I wonder if in 20 years we will have a massive Pop Tart litigation class action? Let the die fall where they will...