Girls, how many calories are you eating?

Options

Replies

• LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, 167 lbs and was eating 1200 per day but plateaued and just upped my calories to 1400.. I'm so freaked out I'm going to end up gaining weight. How many calories are you guys eating and what are your stats?

I was eating 1300-1600 before I plateaud (for 3 months). I just got off my plateau by eating around 2000-2500 calories for a few weeks, and then for two weeks eating 1200. I did get over my plateau recently and now I'm eating 1200-1600 daily and free days on the weekends. (Free days go anywhere from 1500-4000 calories.)

That doesn't work for everyone, but I think it works for me because I keep my body guessing. On the high calorie days, I usually exercise much more than I should. This week (and for the next 3 more weeks), the goal is eat 1300 a day, and burn 1000 calories a day. After that's over, I'm going to stabilize it more... as in 1500 in and 600 out.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I've calculated my TDEE but every calculator varies and every week I workout different times and intensity so it's never a for sure thing... one week I could workout 6 days and the next week only work out 3 days...

Anyhow. I just went back to logging my exercise calories and eating most of them back -- my MFP net goal is 1,370 but sometimes I net a bit lower (if I have some calories remaining... i usually eat most back though)
    My daily totals are anywhere from 1,300 - 1,600 ish.

You shouldnt worry about raising it to 1,400. I consider that low lol and you're active.
    Good luck!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'7.5 eating 1900 calories a day (TDEE -20%) I workout about 4-5x's week.

oopsie.. edited for weight and specifics. I'm 159lbs and weight train about 4 days a week, HIIT for 30 minutes 3 days/week
  • criscollrj
    criscollrj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started tracking here on January 30 of this year, and decided to set my calories high so that I'd have a good chance of staying on it. I had no other reason to do that and had not read all the information that I have now about BMR, TDEE, that has been so enlightening now to me! So it was purely a personal reason that I didn't want to fail yet again! On my blog here I've been writing about all the weight loss plans I've been on since I was a kid in the 70's so I won't repeat all that but quick summary I've done it all - calorie counting, high good carbs, low good carbs, high protein, low protein (semi-vegetarian!), weigh down/thin within (just eat when hungry only), and probably more I've forgotten! I was tired of extremes and just figured I didn't care if I only lose 1/4 pound a month, as long as the scale goes down I'm going to stick with it!

So I started at 1690 which is what MFP placed me on to lose 1/2 pound a week. I eat whatever I want (including ice cream, coke, chips) and just try not to go too haywire on the percentages - if it says I'm over on the sugar by a lot - i.e., 70 or 80 over, I try to leave out sugar rest of the day.

I'm thrilled to say since January 30 I've lost six pounds and 2" around my waist and an inch around my hips. And I pretty much just walk -- been wanting to start my wii fit but haven't yet.

Oh and I do eat back my exercise calories - what little I get... :)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    5'5" 145 lbs, age 41

I eat about 1600 a day. I eat back some if not all exercise calories. I'm switching over to more heavy strength training from mostly cardio and lighter weights, so I'm probably going to adjust my calories (eat more) over the next couple weeks depending on how I feel. I don't always log on weekends. I don't go crazy, but my schedule is much looser and I seem to eat one bigger meal and just graze the rest of the time. I don't think I go over my limit by too much.

I'm not really tracking my weight anymore. I'm pretty close to where I want to be; just want to keep working on getting stronger. I'll probably drop another size or two (I'm a size 8 in almost everything; probably go down to a 4/6) if I keep training.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 175 lbs. I eat 1700+ depending on how much I've done that day. Some days I burn over 3000, so those days I try to eat over 2000. It sounds like a lot of food for weight loss, but since Christmas, when I increased my calories, I've averaged 1.89 pound loss per week. I burn over 2600 on average, so it works. I have the bodymedia armband, so I have a pretty accurate calorie count. I've found if my deficit is more than 1200 calories I get super crabby even if I'm not tired or hungry.

Edit: I didn't put in my exercise info. I am a nanny, so I burn a decent amount at work. I have two big gym days a week. Running, cardio, heavy weights then yoga on those days. Two days a week all I do after work is run for ten minutes because I have class and no free time. Tuesday is my rest day and my splurge day, my calories on Tuesday are generally really high because I go out with friends. Saturday and sunday I do things like 5ks, running the stairs up the cliff near me, or other outside activities.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    can some one tell me how I figure out how many calories I should have?
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am 23, 5'6" and weight 114-116 pounds. I recently upped by calories to 1500, because I am trying to maintain, lost fat, and gain muscle..... I am kinda a newbie at the whole strength training things, but I am learning.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2000-2300 or so. I get hungry, especially on lifting days. I lift 3x/week.

These calories probably put me close to maintenance since the scale hasn't budged much since I started lifting nor have the inches, but I'm okay with that since I lost a few pounds before I started lifting, and am more interested in health and strength at this point in my life, and losing fat and gaining muscle rather than just "losing weight" (whatever that means anyway).

The weight will come off when it comes off and things will balance themselves out eventually as long as I keep making healthy choices and moving regularly.

Right now I'm more worried about learning what my body actually needs and getting a solid ballpark, along with adequate protein intake (my newest challenge) than getting too hung up on details and fretting going over by a few hundred calories or whatever.

Oh I'm 5'10" and around 200 lbs, age 45.

I don't think there is one calorie solution that fits everyone. You have to figure out what's right for you.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I eat like a pig... I was at 1,200 plus my exercise calories, so average 1,600... I increased to between 1,800 and 2,000 and in a month by cutting out sugar and as well, I lost 7lbs.

my typing skills stink!
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 107 pounds. I started using MFP about a year ago and ate 1200-1400 calories each day for about five months, then I went through a weird period of depression/binge eating blues. Now I'm eating 1600-1700 cal a day and maintaining with exercise.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I eat like a pig... I was at 1,200 plus my exercise calories, so average 1,600... I increased to between 1,800 and 2,000 and in a month by cutting out sugar and as well, I lost 7lbs.

my typing skills stink!

Not a pig at all!! I was dying on the 1200 calorie default when I first joined. You are right where you should be, expecially if you exercise!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 on non-exercise days, and I eat my calories back on workout days. :)
  • starsonlyhope
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 290 and I eat about 1800. I work out 2-4 times a week
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    5'6

I eat 1700 on Gym days and 1500ish on rest days- BMR is around 1450. I've lost about 12 pounds so far using this method.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and MFP wants me at 1640 net.
    Scooby gave me a BMR of 1700, which is pretty close.
    I shoot for my MFP goal, but don't worry if I overshoot and land closer to that BMR, or a bit higher. It works out across the week.
    I eat back a conservative estimate of exercise calories -- up to 180 more a day.
    So far I've lost more than a pound a week but less than 1.5.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    can some one tell me how I figure out how many calories I should have?

theres a link on my page to calculate your TDEE feel free to use it :smile:
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    5' 6"
    I am eating 1220 calories (give or take) per day
    The scale read 140 this morning
    It was 137 on Sun :/
    However, I am working out again and I swear that I see more definition, so as long as I can keep/get more of that - I am golden!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

my typing skills stink!

Not a pig at all!! I was dying on the 1200 calorie default when I first joined. You are right where you should be, expecially if you exercise!

I'm saying I eat like a pig now - before I was always watching what I should be eating and it drove me nuts! I need to recalculate my TDEE and stuff :)
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    5'5"
    138lbs

I use the BodyMedia and using the "Road Map" theory of a 20% deficit of TDEE which has me at 1350 a day + eating back exercise...so usually around 1500-1600 as I try walk on the treadmill each day for 30 min. I am losing just under a pound a week...if I don't blow my weekends. I am happy with that as my bodyfat is reaching the low end of the "normal" spectrum.