Do you "lie" on your food diary?

Options

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    One thing I admire about people on MFP is that I've never once see a diary where anyone drank more than a glass of wine or one beer. It's an amazing record considering the large number of people here and the fact that no one lies.
  • ginijor
    ginijor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can lie, but the only one you are kidding is yourself. As much as it pains me, I log everything. It makes me more accountable for what I eat.
  • ginijor
    Options
    LOL Superbowl Sunday all my calories were from beer.
  • ginijor
    Options
    One thing I admire about people on MFP is that I've never once see a diary where anyone drank more than a glass of wine or one beer. It's an amazing record considering the large number of people here and the fact that no one lies.

LOL Superbowl Sunday all my calories were from beer.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I don't lie on mine, but I recently had to close it because some folks felt that their way was perfect for all. Yeah, it ticked me off because I didn't ASK.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I used to. It didn't work out well for me.

Edited to clarify: I lied to myself about portion size. I didn't just make up stuff to put in my food diary.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I dont lie on my food diary. I have nothing to gain (or lose) by doing that.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    no point lying you are only hurting yourself, I never eat back my exercise calories and I also try to be at 1200 or less calories wich my Dr. said was fine for me. But today I think I only had about 800 calories and I find it funny that so many people will say good day, I know it wasn't a good day, I just wasn't hungry and it doesn't happen everyday.
  • imperfect188
    Options
    I may not log the food right away but I definately don't lie when I do. My breakfasts and lunchs are usually pre-planned so I log them before bed for the following day. Today they had cookies at work and I ate three of them and I made sure I logged them as soon as I got home because I needed to plan how much to eat for dinner. I didn't go over but if I did I'd have a short evening workout to burn that off.

I made a promise to myself that I would log everyday. It can be a tedious activity but it helps in the long run. In the past inconsistent logging has been my downfall because I tend to overeat if I don't track and measure my food. I need to know how much I'm eating!

I will admit that if I eat something small like a few raw carrots I wont make it a priority to log because it's not a big deal.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I definitely get lazy with my food logging. Right now I am trying to be consistent and log everyday. I usually skip a lot of the veggies I eat, because well... they're veggies! And I eat a ton of them. But I always log the high calorie items (dairy, meat, grains)
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I see some food diaries where people are consuming less than 1000 calories a day...multiple days in a row. And these aren't "small" people. I'm wondering if maybe they are fudging it? I mean...can someone really be healthy eating 900 calories a day??

I try to log everything that I eat. Even if it means admitting that I made a bad choice. I just don't understand how people can live on that little.

Nope. I record everything I eat and drink. Even if it gets me criticised, whether because its not 'clean enough' to have an opinion or because it's too low. This isn't some fantasy dieting league RPG.

And don't forget that, to use the rather unpleasant concentration camp analogy some people are so fond of - there were fat people in them. When they went in. It took time to lose weight, even with genuine starvation. It's why fat is seen as attractive in many poorer countries, because it's a protection against famine. So those big people could be easily eating under, because even eating nothing at all, it would still take time to use the body's fat stores.

So don't instantly dismiss someone as cheating. It's not far removed from assuming a successful weight loss has to have been with surgery, amphetamines and eating some bat**** crazy secret combination of foods instead of hard work and consistently effective choices.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If it passes my lips -- it goes on the log - spices and all -- I use the build a recipe function and everything. I have had this attitude since day one. I have only had one occasion when I didn't log -- and it was a night of cocktails while out with my husband. And I felt extremely guilty for not logging. I am too afraid otherwise to NOT log. I don't want to give myself permission to cheat on myself. Because I am afraid if I do it once -- then I will find an excuse to do it again....and then again. And well, that's what got me to this point in the first place -- for not mindfully eating.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Probably, because you just can't eat that little for that many days in a row without binging on something. And I doubt they record the binge.

Those people are the ones whose weight never changes, too.

I haven't read all the replies but I need to reply to this: I have absolutely eaten under 900 calories for multiple days in a row, not lied on my diary, and not followed it with binging. Now, I am not saying that 900 a day is the healthy way to go, by any means, but I have had stretches of sub-1200 days since beginning my journey in July and they didn't result in out of control, undocumented binges.
    eta: almost 90 pounds lost so i didn't "destroy my metabolism" either

Also. I've got a girl on my friends list who binges a few times a week. She records every bite.
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Some people are restricted to those amounts of calories by their doctors for certain medical conditions but for the rest of us NO NO NO! That is way too little and you cant expect to be healthy or even lose weight properly and expect it to stay off.

My diary is all true. I log everything. The good, the bad, & the ugly. No lies in my diary. Thankfully, I am not much of a calorie counter and dont care one bit if my calories are over which they usually are :) Hasn't impeeded my weight loss at all.
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I log everything, there is no point in lies. You aren't going to lose the weight if your cheating(yourself). If you dont want people to know everything you eat then make your Diary private.
  • CeCe_711
    CeCe_711 Posts: 35
    Options
    NEVER. Every single item I eat, whether it is one bite...I add it in..why cheat yourself?

This. Im still not losing and my net is often below 1000, im still not losing, but im also doing Insanity and losing inches.

I'm in the same boat. I generally eat 1K or less per day. My body is transforming itself...I'm losing inches in my waist and hips. I use other people's food diary's for tips. Most days I'm looking to see if I can get an idea for a low cal dinner or snack. You shouldn't use it to criticize what other people are or aren't eating.
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I try to stay as honest as possible on my food diary, but still only get in around 900 to 950 calories a day? But there are some day usually during the weekends that I may not log foods at all, and know that I go way over calorie limit!!!
  • Mokosh
    Mokosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ahaha, I've drank 2 times since I'm here, once it was 0.7 l other time around 1 liter of wine :) I wish it wasn't that much... :)
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think they are inaccurately entering portions or forgetting something. Or they are just not logging it all.
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    Probably, because you just can't eat that little for that many days in a row without binging on something. And I doubt they record the binge.

Those people are the ones whose weight never changes, too.

I tend to seek out friends who are active, who eat normal amounts of food (or even excessive amounts!) and still lose weight or maintain where they are. If I see a friend starving themselves, I will usually say something and if they ignore it I'll unfriend them.

For me, this site is all about positively reinforcing my decisions to eat well and exercise. I'm down almost 30 lbs so far so I know it's working. I don't need anyone who might interrupt that momentum chatting with me.

That is kind of body policing of you, isn't it? Not everyone who eats little is miserable and "tiny" and weak, mind you. I spent a lot of time eating 1000kcals per days and I was not miserable at all.