Size 0

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    In the same way that some people are tall and some are short and some go bald and some have brown skin and some have white skin....

THIS
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    This probably has nothing to do with this topic but the other day I was shopping for jeans and my husband was with me. I went to try a few on and had to send him back to get the next smaller size. Anyway he comes racing back and says you're not going to believe this, come look. I couldn't imagine. Walk over to the clothes rack and he points to the thingy that divides the sizes and says,"Who the h$ll wears a size zero! " You can tell he doesn't get out much but he was really upset with it. Kept muttering under his breath, "Them people need to eat a cookie or two." Anyway I thought it might give some of you a giggle.

It has been brought to my attention that this post is insulting to petite people and I want ya'll to know that in no way was I insinuating that people have to starve themselves to get to this size. I was trying to poke fun at my husband's ignorance of women clothing sizing. To any and all who have been offended my humblest apologies and regards. I will pay closer attention in the future on how I word things.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I was a size 16. I can now fit in a 0. But I also can wear 2's and 4's. It took a lot of hard work and EATING the right foods! I'm 5'2 and about 137 right now. My step mom is 5'2 and about 110...and we can wear the same size pants?!?! Muscle...I lift she does not. It makes a huge difference.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Speaking of arbitrary numbers...

The Sears online size chart currently lists the following measurements for a size 0:
    Bust 32
    Waist 25.5
    Hips 35

In the 1993 Sears catalog the closest thing to that was a size 4:
    Bust 32.5
    Waist 24.5-25
    Hips 35-35.5

But back in 1987, for a 32 bust you needed size 4, 35 hips were a size 6, a 25.5 waist was a size 10

In 1981, a 32 bust was a 6, 35 hips were a 6 or 8, 25.5 waist was a 10

1974: 32 bust was 6, 35 hips were a firm 8, 25.5 waist was a 12

And in 1964, today's 0 fell pretty much between a 10 and a 12.
    Size 10: 32.5 bust, 24.5 waist, 34 hips
    Size 12: 34 bust, 25.5 waist, 36 hips

All sizes from Sears catalogs over the years. I knew about the creep of vanity sizing, but until I looked up the actual numbers, I had no idea things had changed quite that much.
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well my 20 year old daughter 5'9' is a size 0 - she eats whatever she wants and gains no weight. :grumble:

^^^ This was me minus 5 inches. Now at thirty, I have to log all my food..... :(
  • maggieketchum
    maggieketchum Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's more than weight. Like even if I was just skin and bones I would never be able to be a size 0. My hip bones will never be that small.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I am a size 0. Whether or not that size is attainablefor you is almsot certainly due to your frame size and build. For example, if you were thin and fit in high school but still not a size 0, it's unlikley that size will ever be attainable. And there is nothing wrong with that.
    I am 5'4 and about 105 lbs. 120 lbs on me woudl look huge, but on another 5 4 person 120 lbs might look anorexic. It just depends on your body type.

I agree with the above ^^^.
    I'm 5,4" and when i was 120 pounds i looked too thin.
    I am naturally muscular, so me being 105 pounds would just be ridiculous! Lol
    It's all about your frame and build.
    Although, some Celebs who were naturally "regular sizes" (such as Posh Spice, Nicole Richie etc.) seem like they now hardly eat a thing to stay that thin! :/
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Seriously?!? What the EFF?!? Why do YOU care what size anyone but yourself wears? I was 120 pounds with 25% body fat and wore a size 6, then I gained weight and lost body fat (130 pounds and 18% body fat) and wear a 0 - 2. Who CARES? Do YOU. Worry about being happy with YOU.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Body type and body frame. I will never be a size zero, wider hips etc from genetics
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I knew before clicking this that the OP would list her age as "18"

guessing 15 or 16 instead.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Agree with others who say that you either have the skeletal structure to be a 0 or you don't. I could weight 100 pounds and still not be a 0. My pelvis is just too wide to ever fit that size, regardless of my weight.

Luckily, I could give a rat's posterior about "achieving" a size 0. Not on my list of goals...
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    A lot of times it's really short, petite people.

I am happy being a size 4 and wouldn't want to be any smaller.

(5'7" & 124-125 lbs here)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Speaking of arbitrary numbers...

The Sears online size chart currently lists the following measurements for a size 0:
    Bust 32
    Waist 25.5
    Hips 35

In the 1993 Sears catalog the closest thing to that was a size 4:
    Bust 32.5
    Waist 24.5-25
    Hips 35-35.5

But back in 1987, for a 32 bust you needed size 4, 35 hips were a size 6, a 25.5 waist was a size 10

In 1981, a 32 bust was a 6, 35 hips were a 6 or 8, 25.5 waist was a 10

1974: 32 bust was 6, 35 hips were a firm 8, 25.5 waist was a 12

And in 1964, today's 0 fell pretty much between a 10 and a 12.
    Size 10: 32.5 bust, 24.5 waist, 34 hips
    Size 12: 34 bust, 25.5 waist, 36 hips

All sizes from Sears catalogs over the years. I knew about the creep of vanity sizing, but until I looked up the actual numbers, I had no idea things had changed quite that much.

This makes me believe that I can become a Zero I knew sizes had changed and was going for a size 6.
    In my teens I was a Junior 5 in the 80's even had some 3's size 7 was my fatty size.
  • OrganicNotes
    Options
    I believe that quite a few of us would be surprised to learn the sizes and/or weights of particular people. I went to high-school with a girl, for example, who was teeny tiny! She was a size 5. Others, visibly larger than her, weighed only 105 lbs, to her 125! Height, frame, muscle mass, and weight distribution, are all factors in what size you wear.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Eat, lift weights, run
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I was 21 I was 98 pounds and a size 0. I am 5ft with small bone structure. I didn't do anything to get that small. I ate smaller meals but wasn't doing it on purpose. (no diets) It wasn't until I had my first kid that I gained and had trouble getting back to my size. I will never be that thin again, not sure I can now.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I've gone from a 16 to a 3 and i don't want to get any smaller. I'm the smallest I have even been and I'm 45 :) and eat 1200 to 1500 in calories
  • carmieg3
    carmieg3 Posts: 36
    Options
    Sizing in woman's clothing has absolutely no standardization!!
    A “0” in one store is a “4” in another, and generally, the more expensive the store is, the lower the sizes go. Retailers do this to trick people onto thinking they are smaller than they are in reality to sell more product. The way woman's clothing sizes are labeled is stupid! If ANYONE was ACTUALLY a zero, they wouldn't exist!
    Whats next? Negative sizes??
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Some people are just born that way. They just stay small. I used to work with a girl who was 5'8 and size 0-3. She hated it but could never gain weight. I, of course, was extremely jealous. LOL The smallest I have ever been was a size 4 and i'm 5'8. I was 19% body fat and 135-140 pounds. I ate a LOT but I was VERY active.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I knew before clicking this that the OP would list her age as "18"

guessing 15 or 16 instead.

I agree. 14-16 most likely.
    The "lose it for you" is a very high school mentality of "if I lose weight he will like me".
    Eating 300 a day to fit a size 0 for him is just ...... -_-