Anyone want to be honest with me?

Options

Replies

• fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    I want to add that I used to eat more meat I stopped because I picked up a diet book that looked interesting and read it. It turned out to be a vegan book and they totally HATE meat. They said the way it is processed these days can actually make you more fat. So I have been staying away since then.
  • fvolley
    Options
    You dont know how to prepare healthy meals? Meal prep is important. I joined instagram to spy on my kid and neices and nephews, but it opened up a whole new world to me. through that i learned easy recipes and learned to meal prep for several days so i wont have to think about it, or eat crappy food. perhaps you can check it out. I am ksofoxxy, u can look me up and link to all the meal prep help i found.

I want to say I DO know how to cook healthy meals. I have just been being lazy I guess. I will also say I DONT know how cuz obviously I would have been doing a better job at it and my diary wouldn't be full of processed crap LoL.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    One day during the week make a HUGE salad and put it in the fridge

That's what I do. One head of lettuce, 1/4 head of red cabbage, 1 lb bag of carrots, peeled and sliced, bell peppers, sometimes spinach, bok choy, other greens. For meals, I grab a handle full or 3 of my salad greens, diced up a tomatoe, small mushrooms, sometimes throw in some pine nuts or other nuts, some couscous. And some baked chicken breast and some dressing (my one guilty pleasure). Quick, easy and healthy. Lots of vegetables, lean meat protein.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    It always amazes me that people say you need to eat back the calories you burn through exercise. Really people ?? Then why do it ? You need a calorie deficit to lose weight, plain and simple. Eat the calories you've alotted and the ones you burn through exercise should be excess stored fat.

When you follow the daily calorie goal MFP has set for you a deficit is already taken into account for weight loss. Eating exercise calories back is what the program is designed for you to do. Not eating them back causes too high of a deficit which will increase the amount of muscle you lose along the way.

The only time you wouldn't eat exercise calories back is if you are creating a deficit with exercise (as in eating your maintance calories).

The daily caloreis you are allotted already gives you a deficit to lose weight.

^^THIS^^ Thank you.
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    I'm in agreement with MFP friends saying you are not eating enough calories. I'm at 300 lbs and am 5'9" and I eat 1500 - 1760 calories a day. I do not eat my exercise calories if I can help it. Losing 2 pounds a week as a goal is healthy. I ran into a real problem with water weight and ended up seeing my doctor about it. I ingest way too much sodium. I am trying to cut that back and the diruetic is helping with the water weight. I was having a 7 pound loss one week and then a 8 pound gain the next. This went on for about a month. I had a hysterectomy about a year ago but my body still acts like I have a cycle. Think about yours and how this affects your food and exercise plan. Finally, weigh once a week, around the same time of day, wearing similar clothes each week on a designated scale. You will start seeing progress if you make sensible decisions about your health and fitness plans. Best wishes!
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Whoa! The cheese stick company is loving you! You are serious about your cheese :) I just sorta skimmed through a few of the responses but here are my thoughts. You need to eat more "good" stuff. While all the foods you are eating are doable you may want to add in meat, eggs, veggies-I saw a little bit of fruit but no veggies. How about some milk or peanut butter or pasta? Do you cook? It looks like you eat a lot of prepackaged stuff. Don't stress! That is the main thing. It's your first week and you won't know it all. I've been here since last July and I'm still learning (just switched my #'s to TDEE simply because I didn't understand it until recently). Look up some recipes for meat and veggies and make them (dont' cover them in cheese:tongue: ) Look through diaries (mine is open to everyone) and get ideas. Try new things even if you think you won't like them, you might be suprised. Take SMALL steps so you don't get overwhelmed. Each day is a new day:flowerforyou:
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    What is your 1380 cal made up of? Good healthy proteins, carbs and fats. Cut out all sugars except those from fruits. No rice, pasta or bread (unless it's brown). This is all just advice if you really want to see results immediately. If you are eating this way, exercising at least one hour per day and drinking 8-12 glasses of water then you should see results. Good luck and stay with it!
  • _michellle
    _michellle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started about a month ago - and I have only lost 6 pounds. Measure yourself - I have lost more inches than anything. Be patient :smile:
  • Paganrosemama
    Paganrosemama Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I noticed that a few days ago you only ate approx 1750 calories, but burned off almost 1100 from exercise. It means that you were netting only 650 that day... If this is typical it could be pushing your metabolism too hard, and it is slowing down... You need more to eat...

Also string cheese has lots of sodium, which could result in water retention. I recently cut out a bunch of sodium and had a few cups of detox tea, while eating normally slightly less exercise, and lost 4 pounds of water weight in as many days...
  • fvolley
    Options
    I think I have been poorly misinformed. Or I am totally overanalyzing this diet thing.

I want to tell you guys too the reason I don't cook big meals and why I grab snacks is because I am afraid of over eating. I just figured this out while reading and posting to this.

The snack foods have been working for me because you just take out one and eat one. You don't have to worry about portioning it out like I would have to do for a big meal for my entire family. I do portion stuff so I don't know why I have been so afraid of it.

I got to 220 by doing what I have been doing. I used to weigh 330 pounds.

I need to make meals. Healthy nutritious meals that my whole family can eat. I just get nervous that if a pot of something is sitting there I will eat more than what I should. I JUST realized this was a FEAR of mine.

BUT I can do it.

I think also that I may be addicted to Sodium and Sugar LoL. This is why a Kashi bar is more appealing than a Apple. I have been eating this processed food for a long time now so that makes sense to me. I got this.

Thank you EVERYONE for your input.

That is why I posted because I needed this kick in the *kitten*. I needed more advanced people to let me know if my food was okay or not. I can see NOW that it's not. So THANK YOU.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    i havent read the other replies, or looked at your diary if its open, but watch sodium in your food..and maybe its because its only a week..not much time to see much of anything yet..try upping your calories..seems to work for me if i get stuck for too long..you can always google how many cals you should be eating..its what i do, i look at 4-5 different sites, add them up and average them out and use that #good luck in this journey:drinker:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    more water. The day you burned 1000 calories a few cays ago, should've been significantly more than just 8 glasses. way more water. more water.
  • fvolley
    Options
    I noticed that a few days ago you only ate approx 1750 calories, but burned off almost 1100 from exercise. It means that you were netting only 650 that day... If this is typical it could be pushing your metabolism too hard, and it is slowing down... You need more to eat...

No that's not typical at all!

I got lost walking. I live in the country. My navigation told me a route and it turned out to be wrong. So a quick 3 mile walk turned into almost 9 miles! LoL I was so tired that day I think I just fell asleep, I wasn't worried about eating I was so sore!

I did eat a little more the next day though. And it's funny that you point that out to me because since the day after the walk I was starving.! I swear I was craving everything in the universe. LoL It is probably because I ate so little the day of the long walk.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Also, it helps if you make it your goal to follow the program and not to lose weight. Of course that is what we want to do, but it WILL happen if you follow the program. You just have to trust it, for a while anyway. Then tweak if needed. Watch the nutrients, too. They really do matter.

Agree. This is one reason I weigh only once or twice a month. If I weight too much, I feel I might start focusing on results. For me, it's better to focus on process and let the results happen naturally. That's not to say I don't believe results are important; on the contrary, I believe they are important...not because of themselves, but because of their place in the process, i.e., giving me feedback and helping me to adjust what I'm doing.

So that'd be my advice--think more "process" and less "results".

Good luck! :)
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Also note on her profile page it says she has had weight loss surgery. Her stomach is probably small so she would do well to have small, frequent meals throughout the day in order to meet her calorie and nutritional goals. Based on wholesome foods like everyone here has mentioned :)
  • fvolley
    Options
    more water. The day you burned 1000 calories a few cays ago, should've been significantly more than just 8 glasses. way more water. more water.

Agreed! I need to be drinking more plain ole' water. In your opinion is diet green tea and those little crystal light flavor packets okay for my water too or should I just take the plunge and do plain water?
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I guess I am expecting INSTANT results. I do this every single time I diet. This is why I fail. I just assumed I wouldn't GAIN during this time. That's all.

If this is why you fail, maybe don't weigh yourself as often? Weekly at most but a lot of people with the same problem will weigh in monthly. It might be hard and against everything you feel, but it might be worth a shot if you're too focused on the scale. Also, remember not all gains are equal. You're probably just retaining water. Now, if you've gained 5 lbs over a month...that's a different story. Good luck and try to establish some realistic goals!
  • fvolley
    Options
    Also note on her profile page it says she has had weight loss surgery. Her stomach is probably small so she would do well to have small, frequent meals throughout the day in order to meet her calorie and nutritional goals. Based on wholesome foods like everyone here has mentioned :)

Thank YOU for noticing that! I did have the VSG surgery in NOV of 2011. I have stretched it out a little but I can't sit down and eat a large meal like most.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion?

Your body is retaining water from starting a new exercise program. It will pass in about 2 -3 weeks. Also a woman's cycle could mess it up. Give it a few weeks. Don't listen to the scale.

I promise it's not the string cheese. If it's low fat, it's a healthy snack full of protein. Usually when I gain weight I've overdone it on sugary, high fat white carbs (birthday cake, twinkies, white bread, etc). IF you try to reduce that stuff it is generally easier to tighten up on calories.

As long as you've changed your diet you will see results. At over 200 pounds, even a cut to 1600 calories would probably see you lose significant weight per week. Even 2000 would cause a shift.

As long as you are measuring calories, I bet you are losing crazy weight but not showing it yet due to water retention.

^^This^^ - in the interest of not retyping everything this poster wrote - Personally I've always found there to be quite a delay in weight loss, so if you started a week ago, then in another week to 2 weeks you'll notice a sudden change. Your calorie intake is super low for you as well. I'm 5'7 and if I drop below 1500 calories I die (figuratively) Up your water and hang in there, you'll see changes soon.
  • fvolley
    Options
    OKAY so weighing myself ONCE or TWICE a MONTH!

ARG! I really really really don't know if I can do that. I will try but I usually weigh everyday. I don't log it for everyday but I look to see it everyday. I thought I was doing better by only logging it once a week. But maybe I shouldn't even leave the scale out on the floor anymore. Maybe I will put it away and only take it out once or twice a month. That will be so HARD though!