Anyone want to be honest with me?

Options

Replies

• Me48Plus2
    Me48Plus2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Its about finding balance in the foods you are choosing... I myself pratice clean eating. Try low fat cheese - limited, and no processed foods, carbs early in the day instead of the evening... eat fat burning foods like cabbage. I make it a point to eat 50% veggies and 50% Protein for lunch and dinner. some carbs for lunch but n ever for dinner .... U should see some results with clean eating. Also be mindful of drinking your calories - you want to drink at least 1/2 your body weight in water daily. On last thing, keep your body 1/2 full by eating 5 - 6 small meals instead of 3 big meals... treat your body like a car and dont let it get too low on gas... keeping your body fueled will keep your matabolism up so your constantly burning fat... Hope this helps.... Oh one more thing...I have been at this since Jan 7th and have lost 20lbs so it does work.... Good Luck!

Some good advice here, but 1/2 your body weight in water ????? I would have to drink 70 pounds of water !!! Yikes, I don't even think that's possible.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Looks like you mainly eat snack food, but not real food. Try eggs or oatmeal for breakfast with fruit. Salads or lean meat for lunch. Chicken or fish for dinner with veggies. You don't need any fancy meals, it can be easy. Just invest in some food that isn't processed. Beans, eggs, meat, veggies, yogurt, etc. I would limit string cheese and granola bars to maybe one per day. I do eat protein bars here in there but not daily. There are some really simple protein "bite" recipes out there. I think you just need to limit the processed food to 1x per day or so, rather than every meal.
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    One day during the week make a HUGE salad and put it in the fridge

That's what I do. One head of lettuce, 1/4 head of red cabbage, 1 lb bag of carrots, peeled and sliced, bell peppers, sometimes spinach, bok choy, other greens. For meals, I grab a handle full or 3 of my salad greens, diced up a tomatoe, small mushrooms, sometimes throw in some pine nuts or other nuts, some couscous. And some baked chicken breast and some dressing (my one guilty pleasure). Quick, easy and healthy. Lots of vegetables, lean meat protein.

I don't like half of what you just listed there. Did your taste buds change? Should I just keep trying to eat those veggies I don't like.?

I don't like any veggies but carrots and spinach really, which is probably why my food is all crap. I don't eat a lot of fruit because I know it's only good in moderation.

So what do you think?
  • fvolley
    Options
    Looks like you mainly eat snack food, but not real food. Try eggs or oatmeal for breakfast with fruit. Salads or lean meat for lunch. Chicken or fish for dinner with veggies. You don't need any fancy meals, it can be easy. Just invest in some food that isn't processed. Beans, eggs, meat, veggies, yogurt, etc. I would limit string cheese and granola bars to maybe one per day. I do eat protein bars here in there but not daily. There are some really simple protein "bite" recipes out there. I think you just need to limit the processed food to 1x per day or so, rather than every meal.

You are completely right! And thank You for listing some other ideas too. That's why I asked for help, CUZ I know I needed it. =]
  • fvolley
    Options
    I guess I got stuck eating the same crap day in and day out too because of all the diverse opinions about food.

Oatmeal is bad, no Oatmeal is good.

Cheese is bad, no Cheese is good.

Meat is bad, no Meat is good.

So I was like well I won't eat any of that I will just eat Kashi bars (I thought were full of nutrition and better than a lean cuisine) and cheese sticks. I do drink protein shakes and stuff but none of my food is what it should be.
  • fvolley
    Options
    Whoa! The cheese stick company is loving you! You are serious about your cheese :) I just sorta skimmed through a few of the responses but here are my thoughts. You need to eat more "good" stuff. While all the foods you are eating are doable you may want to add in meat, eggs, veggies-I saw a little bit of fruit but no veggies. How about some milk or peanut butter or pasta? Do you cook? It looks like you eat a lot of prepackaged stuff. Don't stress! That is the main thing. It's your first week and you won't know it all. I've been here since last July and I'm still learning (just switched my #'s to TDEE simply because I didn't understand it until recently). Look up some recipes for meat and veggies and make them (dont' cover them in cheese:tongue: ) Look through diaries (mine is open to everyone) and get ideas. Try new things even if you think you won't like them, you might be suprised. Take SMALL steps so you don't get overwhelmed. Each day is a new day:flowerforyou:

I have only been eating pre packaged crap food. You are right I need more good well rounded healthy food.
  • mmowery31
    mmowery31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    try following Bob Harper's rules to weight loss. it helped me and still does. And try not to think of it as dieting..i know it's redundant and can be quite annoying to hear but try to think of it as a lifestyle change.

rule 1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal -no excuses

rule 2. Don't drink your calories

rule 3. Eat protein at every meal or stay hungry and grouchy

rule 4. slash your intake of refined flours and grains

rule 5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day

rule 6. Eat apples and berries every single day (every single day)

rule 7. No carbs after lunch

rule 8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating

rule 9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right - for good

rule 10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones

rule 11. Get rid of those white potatoes

rule 12. Make one day a week meatless

rule 13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods

rule 14. Eat a real breakfast

rule 15. Make your own food and eat at least ten meals a week at home

rule 16. banish high salt foods

rule 17. Eat your vegetables - just do it

rule 18. Go to bed hungry

rule 19. sleep right

rule 20. plan one splurge meal a week

hope this helps!
  • fvolley
    Options
    I do think SODIUM is a big problem here. But I am not going to LIE to myself and say it is the only problem. The problem is that I am eating processed food full of sodium. If I ate the same amount of sodium but the food was all healthy I doubt I would be here complaining about my weight loss.

Today is grocery day. Time to make a new list because the first 2 things were Kashi Bars and String Cheese LMAO!
  • fvolley
    Options
    try following Bob Harper's rules to weight loss. it helped me and still does. And try not to think of it as dieting..i know it's redundant and can be quite annoying to hear but try to think of it as a lifestyle change.

rule 19. sleep right

hope this helps!

That's a great list. I do them all but I was brainwashing myself a LOT on a few of them. For example I thought just because I was eating my highly processed crap food at home that I was doing myself a favor by not eating McDonalds. HAHA! I was wrong-o.
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I guess I am expecting INSTANT results. I do this every single time I diet. This is why I fail. I just assumed I wouldn't GAIN during this time. That's all.

This is one thing right here.....you shouldn't NOT be DIETING!!!! This should be a lifestyle change!! Get your mind wrapped around how you hope to live your life and you will get there. Have faith and believe in yourself and know that you are worth it!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I guess I got stuck eating the same crap day in and day out too because of all the diverse opinions about food.

Oatmeal is bad, no Oatmeal is good.

Cheese is bad, no Cheese is good.

Meat is bad, no Meat is good.

So I was like well I won't eat any of that I will just eat Kashi bars (I thought were full of nutrition and better than a lean cuisine) and cheese sticks. I do drink protein shakes and stuff but none of my food is what it should be.

Kashi bars and protein shakes should be used in a bind if you don't gave any fresh real food, not at every meal. Some bars and shakes have a LOT of sugar too.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    Personally, I think you hit it with the exercise part of the equation. Funny fact, the body is a machine. Often when people start exercising, their bodies will play defense. It doesn't know what you are trying to do, so the work outs are like stress to the system and the body might actually slow down to get a handle on what is going on (self preservation built in). After a short period of time it will stop playing this defense and your metabolism will kick up and you WILL lose weight. So hang in there. Ever notice people start to work out and quit after a short period? They didn't stay around for the joke, so keep hammering and it will come off.
  • kdcshesback
    kdcshesback Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has some really good recipe ideas that my picky 7 year old will eat. You can modify the recipes however you see fit and the small portions should be easy on your stomach since you've had surgery.

Keep pushing no matter what!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with about 80% of those rules. The only rules I have are to stay within my daily calorie allotment, eat a variety of healthy foods and exercise 4-5 times a week.

The key is to find what works for you. Too many restrictions (don't eat this, make sure you do this, etc) can lead to disappointment. If you plan is too rigid, it is difficult to maintain in the long run.

That's why I have only 3 rules. Because I can stick to that plan, day in, day out. That is the key to success - consistency and sustainability..
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Change your ratios--especially lowering carbs by substituting by volume vegetables for grains AND legumes/beans for sugary things. Beans are not sweet, but they are filling, plus they add to your fiber count.

Add fiber as a metric to track. Try to keep sugar below 30g daily--WITHOUT use of fake sugars, which will keep a sweet tooth active.

Drink more water Plain Filtered Water. If you are already doing 8 glasses, up it to 12. Do not include water from plastic bottles, carbonated water, et cetera.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    you're complaining after one week? Did you put on all that weight in one week? No? then how do you expect it to come off in one week?
  • fvolley
    Options
    I don't really think my problem is that I am calling this a "diet" LOL. but thanks anyways.
  • fvolley
    Options
    you're complaining after one week? Did you put on all that weight in one week? No? then how do you expect it to come off in one week?

Did you take the time to look at my diary? I used to be 330 pounds. I have lost a lot of weight. I just came on MFP this week.

ETA: I have been doing this for almost a year and a half not just a week. My diary would tell you that. =]
  • fvolley
    Options
    Thanks everyone who has given me a TON of good advice.

I will start eating more nutritionally sound foods. I really don't know why I have been cooking healthy foods for my daughter and my fiancé and shoving Kashi Bars into my pie hole but I have. I can change.

I assume that I am hitting this road block now because of my crappy eating habits. I have gotten down from 330 to 220. ( Well actually down to 190 but after eating basically nothing because of my surgery I binged a little and gained back 30 pounds)

So I can do this.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

*** Good to help overeating and to ensure you are actually hungry and not thirsty

**** If you have the calories and want to drink them go ahead.

*** Protein, fiber and fat keep you feeling full for longer.

** While a good guideline you can still consume those things

** Good advice

*** Eat whatever fruit you want. Nothing special about apples and berries.

** NO, bad rule. Eat carbs whenever you want them as long as it fits into your calories.

** Good job Bob

*** Great! Always weigh foods and use measuring cups for liquids.

** Nothing wrong with sweeteners as long as you don't have a sensitivity to them.. don't listen to the so called experts that claim they will kill you and give you cancer.

** While there are more nutritious choices, nothing wrong with white potatoes provided you are in your calories.

** Fast foods and fried foods are ok now and again provided they fit into your calories.

** Only eat breakfast if you are hungry. Don't force yourself to eat if you aren't hungry. Eating breakfast doesn't start your metabolism or anything.

** Moderation.... drink extra water

** NOt everyone can or will... it's not bad to eat before bed as long as you don't have sleep issues because of it

rule 19. sleep right

hope this helps!

See my notes above... I dislike Bob Harper along with Jillian Michaels. Don't eat white potatoes, don't eat close to bed, no carbs after lunch? Bob is not a nutritionist.