Anyone want to be honest with me?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So okay. I was doing quite well and then BAM! here I am today at 220. WTF! That's me gaining! I am eating my calories and I even started exercise this week. My calories are set to 1380 a day. I eat them. I will eat a little more IF I exercise and IF I am hungry. I am 5'7 and I started MFP about a week ago. Boo. I am so pissed off. The only thing I can assume is maybe because I actually exercised my body may be retaining water or maybe I am building muscle lol. I am not sure.

You DO NOT have to handle me with kid gloves. I just want some ideas as to why this is happening. Shouldn't I have lost a little weight?

I am also thinking maybe it could be the cheese. I love my string cheese but it might be time to cut it out of the ole' diet plan.

Anyway if anyone has time could they take a look and tell me what they think?

Put on the breaks - you've been back on the wagon for a week...wait lady...Rome (or your weight gain) wasn't built in a day so it'll take a bit longer to shed. Also, there are so many factors to weight gains and losses - sure water, too much salt, building muscle, weighing too frequently, weighing at different times of day. I find that if you weigh once a week it is better as one day's gain may be 2 lbs lots over the whole week. Keep sane about it and work the process. Eat your calories and replace what you burn...keep at it! You look lovely in your pic so you are starting from a lucky place - beautiful is all sizes but healthy weights for you are obviously better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    So okay. I was doing quite well and then BAM! here I am today at 220. WTF! That's me gaining! I am eating my calories and I even started exercise this week. My calories are set to 1380 a day. I eat them. I will eat a little more IF I exercise and IF I am hungry. I am 5'7 and I started MFP about a week ago. Boo. I am so pissed off. The only thing I can assume is maybe because I actually exercised my body may be retaining water or maybe I am building muscle lol. I am not sure.

You DO NOT have to handle me with kid gloves. I just want some ideas as to why this is happening. Shouldn't I have lost a little weight?

I am also thinking maybe it could be the cheese. I love my string cheese but it might be time to cut it out of the ole' diet plan.

Anyway if anyone has time could they take a look and tell me what they think?
    Glycogen/water storage and water retention for muscle repair, all from exercise. Normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shaybuggie
    shaybuggie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't sound like a meanie when I say this, but:

Honestly, this is your FIRST WEEK! Your body needs more than that to start losing. Give it a little time. I think what it is, though, is that we hear so many people talk about how "wonderful" they did in their first week or two, so we think it's supposed to be like that for everyone. It's not.

Also, you're not eating enough. Your body needs fuel. And yes, water retention could also be some of the cause. Also, you may fluctuate, but it's better to worry about inches. I follow this plan for my weight-loss:
    IPOARM. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Try that, and most importantly: give your body time to adjust. I wish you well in your journey.
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The last two days you were way over sodium.. could be an issue.

Also, I don't see a lot of fresh whole foods... you eat a lot of processed foods. I find I retain water when I eat far too much processed foods.

DOn't use quick add calories... don't use generic entries.

Are you weighing all your food? Measuring cups/spoons for all liquids? You would be surprised as how much a serving of something really is. Always weigh you food. My oatmeal for example has a serving size listed as 1/3 cup with a grams listing beside it. 1/3 cup actually weighs more than it should.

I would reevalutate what you are eating. A few days ago you had no real food for any of your meals. 6 cheese sticks and a popsicle is not a proper dinner. Neither is strawberries and rice cakes. You really need to look at what you are eating and eat much better. You are eating all crap processed foods with very little if any fruits and veggies. Stop eating snack foods for meals and eat real food instead.

You are not giving your body the nutrients it needs. Really sit down and think about things. You really need to change your diet. While you can lose weight eating all crap foods it won't make for a healthy body.

Completely agree with this.
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    I hope I don't sound like a meanie when I say this, but:

Honestly, this is your FIRST WEEK! Your body needs more than that to start losing. Give it a little time. I think what it is, though, is that we hear so many people talk about how "wonderful" they did in their first week or two, so we think it's supposed to be like that for everyone. It's not.

Also, you're not eating enough. Your body needs fuel. And yes, water retention could also be some of the cause. Also, you may fluctuate, but it's better to worry about inches. I follow this plan for my weight-loss:
    IPOARM. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Try that, and most importantly: give your body time to adjust. I wish you well in your journey.

This is just my first week on HERE. I have been at this much longer than one week believe me.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    OK, here it is! Stop and take a breath. Your body won’t change in a week or even two. Give it a little time. Last time I used my magic wand, it failed. Don’t believe yours is working either! Now, on to the “in your face” stuff. Your intake needs work. You are way low on protein. You should be getting 130 grams of lean protein a day – and not all at once. Divide it up into 5 or 6 meals between 21 and 26 grams each. 30 grams at once can make you a little “uncomfortable”. Sodium is a little on the high side but some of it can be compensated for by water. Water, water, water! At your weight, you should be drinking ~ 110 ounces a day, minimum. Divide that by the number of hours you are awake. If you are awake for 16 hours, then you need 6.87oz an hour. Less than a glass an hour. That will get you started. More later.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I am just pissed because I actually exercised this week. I do watch EVERY thing that goes into my mouth.

That's proper lifestyle choices 101. Keep with it!

Right now it seems to me the only thing failing is your patience for the process you've set yourself on.

Excercise put our bodies under stress. They will adapt to that stress, but it takes time. Exercise more than once, maybe plan for 3x a week, every week, and stick with that for several weeks, and then reevaluate. Add some resistance training in there also, so that in your quest for weight loss, you don't end up losing a bunch of lean muscle mass.

Adjust your expectations, apply patience to this process, make healthier choices, exercise way more than just once, and give your body time to adapt to this new thing you're asking it to do. It will.
  • fvolley
    Options
    I am just pissed because I actually exercised this week. I do watch EVERY thing that goes into my mouth.

That's proper lifestyle choices 101. Keep with it!

Right now it seems to me the only thing failing is your patience for the process you've set yourself on.

Excercise put our bodies under stress. They will adapt to that stress, but it takes time. Exercise more than once, maybe plan for 3x a week, every week, and stick with that for several weeks, and then reevaluate. Add some resistance training in there also, so that in your quest for weight loss, you don't end up losing a bunch of lean muscle mass.

Adjust your expectations, apply patience to this process, make healthier choices, exercise way more than just once, and give your body time to adapt to this new thing you're asking it to do. It will.

You are right. AND I will stick with this. I will. =]
  • ferniejoy
    ferniejoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always gain in the beginning of a new program. After three weeks I notice around a 6 pound total loss. I lost 34 pounds with WW and now My Fitness Pal. I did gain some back over the Holidays, but now I am back on track.
    Stick to it!!!!
    God Bless!
  • wozniaks
    wozniaks Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey we are the same weight lol only I am shorter lol. I find the less I stress over it the more I lose inches lost is way better then weight it's just a number. I have been on here for 47 days I think and I have only lost 9 lbs it takes time
  • fvolley
    Options
    Hey we are the same weight lol only I am shorter lol. I find the less I stress over it the more I lose inches lost is way better then weight it's just a number. I have been on here for 47 days I think and I have only lost 9 lbs it takes time

You are totally on point. I took my measurements and noticed I lost some inches. It was really gratifying. =]
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning so I can see the daily patterns and makes me more relaxed. I know that the overnight, or from 7am to 7pm, 5lb gain is the soup, TOM, salty food, exercise, etc.
  • Moveit80
    Moveit80 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Eat the cheese in moderation... that's WAY too much, that saturated fat adds up quick with any cheese. Eat more fresh foods that bring in a lot of fiber. You should have 14 g of fiber for every 1,000 calories you eat. Dairy is supposed to be limited but veggies, whole grains, and fruits should be eaten more daily. Weight really can go up and down depending, I know sodium REALLY gets to me. Good luck!!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    are you a vegetarian because the only (tiny) bits of protein I see in your diary are cheese.

also, it looks like 90% of your calories come from packaged bars/snacks/shakes.

perhaps you should revise what you are eating?

it seems like very little actual food.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You're getting a lot of excellent and consistent advise here, so I'll try not to repeat too much of it. (Btw, I LOVE cheese, it is my downfall as well, and today has been a total sodium bomb because I had cheese with both salads AND an order of mozzerella sticks from Sonic!)

Drink your water, that's always the biggest thing for me... get a big (like, 32oz) water bottle and keep it full and within reach at all times. If you need your water cold, like me, get several and keep them full and in the fridge, so that the one within reach is always cold. Anytime you notice the bottle, take a sip. You will be astounded by how much water you start going through when your body figures out that it's right to hand.

Something I saw a few days ago is now my avatar... It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing. 8 weeks for your family and friends to notice. 12 weeks for the rest of the world. You have to give it time, weight loss does not happen according to a formula, it's only predictable to a certain extent, and there are a TON of totally normal and healthy things that can happen within the body to mask weight loss as seen on the scale. Use that tape measure, it will save your sanity when the scale doesn't move (or moves up!).