WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE

Options

Replies

• tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Would love to be a part of your group as I fit right in the 50 age group, I have been having soooo much trouble losing weight, Hoping that keeping track of food and exercise with encouraging words will help the scale start moving in the right direction, Day 5 for me. I returned from vacation and noticed a woman that I work with and how slim she had become and she told me about this site... I am married to a wonderful man (for 30 years in a week weeks), have 3 kids, a son and 2 daughters both expecting their first babies, one in July and one in Aug. so I need to get in shape to be a active Grannie. Love to swim and we have a long 45 ft pool so during the summer months I am able to swim laps, my favorite form of exercise. Would be nice to have a few weight loss Buddies...

welcome to this site. I am new here and love it. I really enjoy reading all the posts and seeing again how much we women have in common.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Mary--Today is a sore day. The right side of my body is cut and getting black and blue. I now have bruises on my left knee and stomach. Called my pcp this morning and she said I was doing what she would do ie alieve, muscle relaxers, heat and rest. I must have really pulled muscles in my chest lots of pain. I just got up and tried to do the eleptical, but just too much pain only did 13 mins. I could not go to work today and it does not seem good for tomorrow. I do secretarial work and cannot sit because of chest and ribs.
    Anyways, have spent a lot of time today ready all these posts and feel like I am getting to know many of the ladies on here. I just cannot figure out how any of you remember all the names and answer in one post. I read something and then post. cannot remember a list.

tcac/Linda, and the other newbies we have recently collected--
    Here are a few tips for keeping your posts straight, as far as responding to multiple messages, AND a hint to help you avoid the dreaded "lost post"--as in, "I typed my brains out, hit send and my post disappeared and is not in the thread!":angry::grumble::sad: :sad: :ohwell:

First of all, if you are not a computer geek, you might assume you can only have one browser window open to MFP when you are logged on--not true. I keep one open to my food diary, and two more tabs open for accessing posts. (I said "tabs" but if you are more comfortable using completely separate browser windows for each one, it is the same difference)

You can use one instance to read the post, and start the reply window in the other, and flip back and forth and post as though you actually have a good memory and know what is going on!!:drinker: :drinker:

Now, for "the case of the incredibly annoying disappearing post"--instead of posting directly into the reply window as described above, you use a word processing program, or a program like notepad or wordpad, and compose your words in there. When you have finished, you can copy what you have typed and paste it in to a reply window, add whatever "smileys" you want to, and post your reply. If something goes wrong in the posting process, you still have your written material in the program on your computer and can always try again.

Another thing I do, if I have ignored my own advice and posted directly into the window, BEFORE I hit send, I highlight the entire message and copy it, then hit send. If the post doesn't come through, all I have to do is open another reply window for that thread, paste in the previously copied material, and resend.

So, welcome to anyone I haven't already addressed in a previous post. Hope this helps everyone with their posting challenges.

Barb
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Mary--Prayers for your mother, your sister and you! :heart: I hope the shots help.

Welcome, newbies! :flowerforyou: This is a wonderful group to be a part of!

Michelle--I'm praying for your daughter and for you. it is SO hard when our kids are in bad situations!

That's all for now. I know there's lots more but I need to get moving and then get ready for work. Have a great day everyone! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

My sentinments exactly...AMEN to all of it!

Back from dinner out at our favorite local mexican restaurant. Didn't do too badly. Skipped the rice, beans and margarita or Corona...so I stayed within my calories.

Hope everyone has a good night!
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm an old timer but feel like a newbie.

To all who know me. I have had a rockie few months, with my parents. I can't get into it at this point because It will just stress me out. But they are doing better for now. I think about this group often but, just not have had the time to open the computer. I with my parent everyday.

On a good note about weight I have managed to lose 5lbs. and I am so excited about it. I will just keep on trying as I have always done.

Just wanted to pop in and let ya know I'm doing OK.

Kathy (Plantlady)
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm an old timer but feel like a newbie.

Just wanted to pop in and let ya know I'm doing OK.

Kathy (Plantlady)

Kathy - I am so glad to hear that you are okay! We missed you! :flowerforyou: Whatever your troubles are, I hope they will go away, and at least be made a little lighter by time spent with your friends here. Have a great evening!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I almost forgot - Happy Flag Day to fellow Americans!
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Welcome back, Kathy (Plantlady). 5 lbs lost when you're dealing with tough stuff is great. I'm glad you're back.

I see so many posts that I can't respond to right now, but you're all in my heart! :heart:

I had a nice weekend with my folks. And dang, it is hot! Over a hundred today. And to think, I was grousing about the cold and rain a couple of weeks ago. :grumble: Why couldn't we have some in-between times? I wish I could send just part of this hot weather north. :wink:

I'm concerned about a gal on another thread. She was losing fast - lost more than a hundred pounds. She was a big part of the thread and posted a chart every week showing everyone's weight loss. Then she went on vacation for a few days and just disappeared. I've seen a couple of her statuses that show she's been exercising, so I think she's okay (sort of), but it's so weird to feel like you "know" someone and have them disappear.

I've sent messages and not heard back. I don't know what happened so there's no point speculating. Now I'm trying to learn what I can from it. (How's that for an equivocal statement?!) She lost weight very quickly. Ate less than 1200 calories a day. Almost never ate her exercise calories (and exercised a lot). Ate pretty nutritiously, just not very much. And was always ready with good advice for sister MFPers.

So, what can I get from it? It's scary in a way. This feels like a forever path and I think it is. But it's not a straight line. There will be challenges along the way. We need to be gentle with ourselves. Keep the weight loss reasonable - this is for the long term, not the big bang. Eat enough calories (probably at least 1200 a day). And let folks know when we're struggling. We don't have to be perfect, for Pete's sake. We're going to flop once in awhile. We're going to soar other times, but not all the time.

Maybe I'm completely off base about what's going on with her. I sure hope so. But the situation brings up some of the realities about what we're doing. It's good food for thought. Barbie was right about taking it one day at a time. There've been times when I've seen someone who's losing really quickly and I've been jealous. But this isn't about quick. It's about a lifetime.

I'm grateful for all the support here. Together we can do this. No, scratch that. Together, we ARE doing this! :smile: It's frustrating sometimes and so much fun other times. Best of all is to have other people who can relate to share it with.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    kathy/plantlady--

So good to hear from you. I knew you had a full plate, from recalling a post you did a while back, but it is good to hear that you were able to lose despite not being able to spend time with us. I hope we will hear from you, despite the demands on your time. You have been around here longer than I have, and it is over a year for me.

Hope all continues to go well with your mom and dad. Mine are hanging in. I am going to have to have the "time to stop driving" talk with my dad, but I have decided to wait until after Father's Day--partly because I don't want to put a damper on a special day, but also because I am not looking forward to having to deal with it.

I spent a quiet day, not feeling well, developed a rash that is annoying me, but seems to be subsiding, and also some stomach issues that are also subsiding. The rash, I have a theory about...possibly irritated by sunscreen in my moisturizer. My neck and face are very sensitive, and the only change in what I put on them was adding a layer of that moisturizer before putting on my regular makeup, so I will see what happens for a few days of no application, since the sun is disappearing yet again.

As for my stomach, who knows. I would say it is all in my head, but the problem is manifesting itself much further south.:laugh: :laugh: I had no trouble keeping my calories in hand today, so I guess that is a good thing, but no exercise either. Doggies have been quiet all day. Good thing they got TWO walks in yesterday.

So long for now..

Barb
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Viv--I know you'll get this late but here you are--

gcanniversary20.gif

Kathy
  • rfsahae
    rfsahae Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Those of you who are embedding a greeting card - - Please share how you do this.
    Thank you
    Randy
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: A very GOOD MORNING to you all ......I hope you're all feeling good.

I'm back in the fold after a ...:ohwell: "Mayaswell" weekend!!!
    I'll post later after DH has gone to work but thought I'd say Hi. I'm waiting to go to the hairdressers ...:sad: can't go anywhere looking as it is....wild and woolly!!
    The family "Do" went well. :happy: The birthday boys behaved themselves, :heart: :heart: Baby GS was a star ...with not a cross moment for the whole of his Christening day. We're missing him already and can't wait 'til end of July when they all come up for my birthday.
    So...On to the next "Stage " of things with Mum coming home on Thursday.

Notice I haven't mentioned the scales?? ...Well amazingly enough I ONLY put on 1.5lbs. I cannot believe it as on the Friday, I am ashamed to say ....I ate THREE ....3 ...yes THREEEEE ....doughnuts. So ...it's back to normal now.
    :flowerforyou: Thanks guys for still being here ....off we go again.
    Do I hear a few groans in the background? That woman again ...!!! Sorry!!!!
    Cheerio for now
    Back later I hope
    :heart: Jackie
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Those of you who are embedding a greeting card - - Please share how you do this.
    Thank you
    Randy

Here's how I do it (this is very detailed!):

Go to a site that has the graphics--I use Glitter Graphics from this site:

http://graphicsgrotto.com/glittergraphics/index.php (

Scroll down the page and you will see some menus to choose from. You want the 4th one down, It is the one that begins with Miscellaneous (under the words Glitter Graphics). Choose your category and then a new page will open. Scroll down and choose an image (there is usually more than one page so if you don't like any of the ones on the first page just go to the next, etc.).

Under each image are the words 'Get Image Code'. click on that and you will go to a new page that has the image and various code boxes underneath it. You want the 'IMG-Forum BB Code'. Click on that code box and it will be highlighted. Right click and in the little menu that pops up, click on 'copy'. Go to your post and right click where you want the image to be. Click on 'paste' in the little menu and the code will be copied. When you submit your post, the image should show up in it.

Hope this helps! (It took me quite some time and a LOT of edited posts to get it figured out so don't feel bad if you have to try a few times!)

This same basic process will work on any smily site that does not require a download to your computer. I don't use the ones that want you to download stuff!
  • tcac
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    I have a question. I keep reading about everyone using HRM, I am thinking this might be a good tool for me. My problem is that I am very allergic to nickle. I cannot wear watches, jewelry or anything so I was wondering if you have any suggestions for which one is best, and if they are all watches. I use a pedometer, but it does not give heart rate and does not do biking.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Plantlady - Glad to hear from you! I hope you will be able to start posting again.

MacMadame - I think it is always hot in Texas. Don't forget about the humitity either! ( I really shouldn't talk as NM is hot also)

Welcome to everyone new! Good luck to all with woes.

I had bought healthy stuff for lunch at work this week, but family ate all of it over the weekend, so I have nothing for breakfast or lunch today (not counting the muffins and pastries they bought for themselves). So, I need to leave early to go buy something.

To my friends across the pond - Good luck to both of our teams in the World Cup. 1-1 Whew!

If Canada is playing too - good luck to your team too. I still haven't figured out how they determine who's playing and who is not.

Jeannie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Tuesday,

It's been awhile, and I've thought of all of you but have had very little time to sit at the computer and read all that I've missed and it appears I've missed a lot:noway: and because I'm so far behind I will just restart now...

Welcome to the all the new MFPer's:flowerforyou: this is the place to come for encouragement of all kinds.

An update on all that has gone on since our trip to Oregon. Our flight out was supposed to take about 3.5 hrs total and it turned into 10hrs of frustration. Due to our flight leaving late we missed our connection in Portland and got the chance to hang out at the Airport there for about 4.5 hrs (we could have driven faster to southern Oregon!) So the start of the trip set the pace for overdrive.

Mom was more than ready to get out of the rehab place and she had really progressed quite a bit, but it still took about 20 min to get from the wheelchair into the front seat of the car, so no going anywhere in a hurry. We had a bit of "words" when I told her I wasn't leaving her car in Oregon but taking it back to Colorado with us, she was under the impression that she could still drive:noway: but since she failed the driving test last June she didn't consider that as they told her she could retake the test in 6 mo...she can't move her knees and getting her foot from the gas to the break ...let's just say I wouldn't want to be a passenger in the car if she is driving.

Hubby got the flu the second day we were there, but continued to work though things at the house even sick. We ordered the paint and new carpets and my cousin has taken care of getting the place into "we are selling this home" ready. In going through things we wound up shreading taxes, checks and general papers all the way back to 1972 (that was the year I graduated from High School), needless to say that took hours.

Mom's new place at the Foster Home is wonderful. It has lots of windows it's a pretty big room and we moved two dressers, bookcase, nightstand and her new lifiting recliner into her room and she still had room for her walker and wheelchair. There are four other's staying at the home so she had people to visit with daily and from what I'm hearing she has made a positive adjustment....she did have another fall last Wednesday, but the care giver was there to help break the fall so only bruises...just proved that she must have 24/7 care.

Our #1 Son arrived the end of the week and we loaded up Dad's pick up truck with furniture and all kinds of extras for him to take home to Las Vegas (he drove straight home in 13 hrs), we donated a lot and gave away to other family and friends a lot. It was hard to go through the house and say "no" to many things that have childhood memories, but I kept the best...at least I think I did..

The one thing that this has taught me is...I WILL NOT DO THIS TO MY KIDS! I will start going through the "stuff" and getting rid of a lot of junk, it will be hard but after going through Mom & Dad's place I know it must be done.

Now on to the diet...I stayed pretty good when we were gone and by the time we had been back 3 days I had lost any gain on the scale and was down about 1lb! I'm sure it had a lot to do with how active we were while gone.

The bad thing about when you go away is returning and getting back to work and seeing how much stuff is piled on your desk. I have been swamped at work with very little extra time. So getting to stop in and say Hi has taken a back seat and my weekends have been trying to sort though all the things we brought back with us as well as #2 DIL is ready to deliver #2 GS any day...just waiting for the call.

That's about it for an update... Hope all of you are doing well and that this new lifestyle is working for all of you.

Laura:flowerforyou:

PS...went shopping Friday after work because many of my clothes are starting to get baggy :bigsmile: and I had a gift card that needed to be used:wink: ...my give it away bag is getting pretty full.
  • rfsahae
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    I have a question. I keep reading about everyone using HRM, I am thinking this might be a good tool for me. My problem is that I am very allergic to nickle. I cannot wear watches, jewelry or anything so I was wondering if you have any suggestions for which one is best, and if they are all watches. I use a pedometer, but it does not give heart rate and does not do biking.

I have a Polar FT7. Metal doesn't touch my skin anywhere. The watch back is plastic (and you don't have to wear the watch for it to work, obviously) and the part on my body is a cloth strap of some kind. Funny story about the Polar FT7 - - they are recognized by certain cardio machines - - and I walked into the exercise room at a hotel one day and all the machines in there started showing my heart rate. :laugh:
  • rfsahae
    Options
    Test embed image:
    TestChart.jpg
  • tcac
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I have a Polar FT7. Metal doesn't touch my skin anywhere. The watch back is plastic (and you don't have to wear the watch for it to work, obviously) and the part on my body is a cloth strap of some kind. Funny story about the Polar FT7 - - they are recognized by certain cardio machines - - and I walked into the exercise room at a hotel one day and all the machines in there started showing my heart rate. :laugh:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Mom was more than ready to get out of the rehab place and she had really progressed quite a bit, but it still took about 20 min to get from the wheelchair into the front seat of the car, so no going anywhere in a hurry. We had a bit of "words" when I told her I wasn't leaving her car in Oregon but taking it back to Colorado with us, she was under the impression that she could still drive:noway: but since she failed the driving test last June she didn't consider that as they told her she could retake the test in 6 mo...she can't move her knees and getting her foot from the gas to the break ...let's just say I wouldn't want to be a passenger in the car if she is driving....

Mom's new place at the Foster Home is wonderful. It has lots of windows it's a pretty big room and we moved two dressers, bookcase, nightstand and her new lifting recliner into her room and she still had room for her walker and wheelchair. There are four other's staying at the home so she had people to visit with daily and from what I'm hearing she has made a positive adjustment....she did have another fall last Wednesday, but the care giver was there to help break the fall so only bruises...just proved that she must have 24/7 care....

The one thing that this has taught me is...I WILL NOT DO THIS TO MY KIDS! I will start going through the "stuff" and getting rid of a lot of junk, it will be hard but after going through Mom & Dad's place I know it must be done.

Laura:flowerforyou:

My heart goes out to you as it wasn't very long ago I was in your shoes. My dad died unexpectedly and the care of my Mom fell to me. I know how stressful and rewarding it can be parenting your parent. So if you ever need to talk to someone who's "been there" feel free to message me. My biggest piece of advice is to be sure no matter how crazy things get to make time for yourself.

Yesterday was turnaround day for me so we are trying to get back into a daytime schedule again. Its cloudy and overcast today so I am planning to burn calories mowing this afternoon. I've been doing vinegar therapy again as all I seem to want to do is eat carbs. It always amazes me how quickly it helps. Maybe I should just do it EVERY day....
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Just a quick post today as I'm back and forth to the hospital. My dad called me at about 8:00 this morning to say that he wasn't feeling well and had called an ambulance. I managed to get round to his house in record time and we all went off to the hospital together, although I took my own car. I know from past experience that it is much easier to have my car with me. Anyway, they think he's had some kind of cardiac episode so they are running tests and keeping him in at least overnight. They may fit a pacemaker whilst he's there. Still not sure yet.

I used to think it was hard work being a parent - now I realisse that's it's even harder work being a daughter. Through a quick look at some of the posts on here today, I can tell that we are all going through similar things.

I'll catch up properly later as I have to rush off now to go to the nursing home to visit mum-in-law (which is about 10 miles in one direction) and then back to the hospital to see my dad (which is about 15 miles in the other direction!)

Be well xx