Health food not so healthy???

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    eating the way we evolved to eat is orthorexic??

Implying we stopped evolving at paleolithic times is mildly amusing to me

10,000 years ago is a blink of an eye in terms of how long humans have been on the planet. in the last 10,000 years, no, we haven't evolved all that much - at least not biologically. Sure science and thinking have grown in leaps and bounds, but physiologically we are almost identical to pre-agriculture humans.

Except we have the tools necesary to properly cook certain foods, mill others, and an agrarian society is the primary reason for community living and modern civilization. Otherwise we would just be nomads and wanderers trying to go find and kill our next meal

absolutely - but just because we have the tools to do it, doesn't mean our organs have caught up. especially since we've genetically altered wheat in the last 50 years or so. It'll take thousands of years for our physiology to adapt to it, and by then i'm sure there will be something else!

What makes you think our organs need to catch up? Why do you believe that the organs of the paleo man couldn't process grains?

why would a paleolithic man's organs be able to digest something he didn't eat? there's no logic there. Grains are small, hard-shelled, and generally indigestible by humans in their raw state! They'll come right back out the other side completely intact. You think the paleo men were baking bread?

paleolithic man didn't farm. they didn't put all the wheat in a row so they could eat a bunch of it at once. They ate what they found, and what gave them the most bang for their buck. That means fruits and veggies and high-fat meat. They did not eat grains, so their organs never needed to adapt to be able to do so. In the last 10,000 years we've gotten better at it, but then in the mid 1900s we completely revamped the wheat grain, and now our bodies have to adjust along with it.

The broad spectrum revisited: Evidence from plant remains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 June 29; 101(26): 9551–9555.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC470712/?tool=pubmed
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I gave up food months ago. I only eat cotton balls now. Organic ones.

2 weeks ago for me, but I do have a glass of wine with them.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about carrots being rinsed with some chlorine. That's to kill bacteria, so you don't get sick. Chlorine evaporates, so it's gone by the time you're eating carrots minus germs from the soil the carrots were grown in.
  • 87indiegirl
    87indiegirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    FYI: The Whole Foods' 365 brand almond milk is free of carrageenan.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

i-request-the-highest-of-fives_672.gif
  • taelardinois
    taelardinois Posts: 30 Member
    Options

And taste better than the Silk brand, imo.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Did cavemen drink Shakeology?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

i-request-the-highest-of-fives_672.gif

(i don't know if you understand evolution... 10,000 years is not a long time)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

doubt it.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    cookie dough :( damn...
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options

Some of them would have if he had an extra $120 a month to spend on that stuff.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

doubt it.

once we master time travel, they will have drunk it.
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What? Anthro degree here. We didn't evolve to eat a particular way--we are generalists specifically so we can adapt to any environment we wander into. That's why we have incisors for cutting meat and molars for grinding grain. And big brains so we can figure out how to extract nutrition from just about anything we find.

I like you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I asked before and still haven't got a response. What is wrong with carrageenan?
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    at this point i feel like every food is going to get a bad rep at some point or another- yesterday it was fat, today its gluten... "omg i ate 5000 cookies and got fat, i better exclude all wheat from my diet including whole grains because they are obviously detrimental"... i pretty much just avoid anything that has sketch man-made additives or trans fat.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I asked before and still haven't got a response. What is wrong with carrageenan?

Everything and Nothing. Depends who you ask.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm sensing a Dr. Oz moment here.
  • HindsightBias2009
    HindsightBias2009 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh and protein bars. Many have as much sugar as a candy bar.

so much this.

That banana you ate? Has as much sugar as a Snickers

A LARGE banana has about 16 grams of sugar, while a Snickers bar has 30 grams of sugar.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    LOL no. Drinking snake blood in Hong Kong. Delicious and nutritious :laugh:
    Good article about almond milk.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/
    Almond Milk:(
    Grains/legumes/dairy

Why is almond milk "bad"?

j75j75 is that almond milk in the bong your hitting?
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I like how the Coach chap has ignored the college-educated Anthropologist