Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Diet SODA causes CANCER!!! If you are going to drink DIET you need to make sure you drink a lot of water to flush all the chemicals out or you will end up with a blood cancer.

onoz-omg.gifonoz-omg.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Diet SODA causes CANCER!!! If you are going to drink DIET you need to make sure you drink a lot of water to flush all the chemicals out or you will end up with a blood cancer.

I prefer a coffee enema after each can just to be sure.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I prefer a coffee enema after each can just to be sure.

thaaaat's why you're so pleasant. it's all clear now.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    What on earth are you talking about???? What evidence specifically is it that interests you? I linked to an article that has to do with the efficacy of an herbal preparation. I am not obligated to provide you with information on "antibiotics in the human body". You make no sense---perhaps it is time to just back away from the computer and rest a bit?

I thought it was pretty clear.

You said:

"There are actually a number of herbal preparations that could be useful for combating pneumonia--some that might be more effective than many antibiotics (and not leave one with fungal infections that must be cleared)."

I said:

"Please, tell me which herbs have been shown to be more effective than antibiotics at curing pneumonia."

Instead of answering the question, you linked to some study about antibacterial additives for apple juice, then changed the subject saying you didn't want to derail the thread more.

Why are you hounding this? Medical science is proving to be a gigantic fail in the area of infection control. How many new antibiotics are being produced to control the "superbugs" that are a very serious threat to human life? With some bacteria it just may be that the only hope we have is in herbal treatments. But pharmaceutical giants will not go in that direction because it is impossible to patent an herbal treatment.

I'm hounding it because you said "There are actually a number of herbal preparations that could be useful for combating pneumonia--some that might be more effective than many antibiotics (and not leave one with fungal infections that must be cleared)."

And I think that's completely false.

So what you think determines what actually is true? Here is a link to a website that presents a sampling on the power of herbals: http://wryeyes.blogspot.ca/2007/07/oregano-fighting-flesh-eating-bacteria.html

I just want you to tell me which herbs are more effective than modern antibiotics at curing pneumonia.

I am not an herbalist but I do know that many very lethal diseases have been and are being treated with herbs. First of all, as I'm sure you know, antibiotics do absolutely nothing for viral pneumonia. They are only useful for treating secondary bacterial infections. The Chinese have successfully treated bacterial pneumonia with herbs (including garlic). There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that many herbal treatments are efficacious.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I am not an herbalist but I do know that many very lethal diseases have been and are being treated with herbs. First of all, as I'm sure you know, antibiotics do absolutely nothing for viral pneumonia. They are only useful for treating secondary bacterial infections. The Chinese have successfully treated bacterial pneumonia with herbs (including garlic). There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that many herbal treatments are efficacious.

Uh huh, I see. Which herbs are good for treating bacterial pneumonia?
  • vaughan439
    Options
    i was a diet pepsi/diet coke abuser. I read that the caramel colorant is an added glucose to the beverage, and if you switch to diet sprite or diet 7up you will be better for it. I dont know if this is true but i enjoy the clear diet drinks far more than the dark colored ones.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Uh huh, I see. Which herbs are good for treating bacterial pneumonia?

which antibiotics treat bacterial pneumonia? tell me the exact strains.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    i was a diet pepsi/diet coke abuser. I read that the caramel colorant is an added glucose to the beverage, and if you switch to diet sprite or diet 7up you will be better for it. I dont know if this is true but i enjoy the clear diet drinks far more than the dark colored ones.

It's not. There might be a few mg of sugar, but that's it.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Herbal supplements can be extremely dangerous if taken with many many medications. Never take an herbal supplements without first checking it out with your health care provider or a member of your regular pharmacy. If we eat a well balanced diet there is even no need to even take a daily vitamin as you are wasting your money on a vitamin that your body is just eliminating in your urine.

Well, lots of luck on that. Most docs here are completely ignorant of herbal treatments. Not so in Europe. It is actually the pharmaceuticals that are lethal. It has been estimated (by the medical establishment itself) that 100,000 deaths in the U. S. are directly attributable to prescription drugs.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    homeopathic remedies,

Oh man. Homeopathic "remedies."

Also known as "black magic."

you know, except in my case of reflux.

you're so funny.

Yeah and when my son had pleurisy the "black magic" cured him in two days. You sound so ignorant you know, because you just dribble your drool without knowing what your'e trying to say.

Homeopathic "remedies" are placebos and nothing else. The liquids are nothing but water, and the pills are nothing but sugar.

There is literally no other substance in them, unless they've added a preservative or something.

But the thing listed on the outside of the bottle? There's none of that inside the bottle. You know that, right? Homeopathy is the process by which you start with a substance and then dilute it in water so many times there isn't any of it left.

Oh I know EXACTLY how homeopathic remedies are made. I am taking a course on homeopathy in fact. The energy of the substance is left, even though your scientists can't detect the crude substance anymore. And guess what, we've used them for a long time and it isn't placebo. You try giving your kids or other family members a placebo when they are puking, or sick with pleurisy, or teething, or having palpitations, or going into shock from falling 20 ft onto concrete . . . and see how they fare lol.

My daughter fell from the second story of a barn onto concrete and broke her wrist in two places. The neighbor drove her to me (4 houses away) and by then she was going into shock. I gave her arnica montana immediately and we both watched as the color returned to her lips/fingertips, and she became more responsive. Arnica montana also is indicated when there is bruised soft tissues. Because I gave her this remedy immediately, she never got a bruise . . . none. She did however break her arm in two places and it had to be reset. The doc was REALLY worried because she damaged her growth plate. He gave her a cast and he asked that she return in a 2 weeks. Well she was taking another homeopathic remedy during those two weeks and when they did the xray the growth plate was completely normal and one of the fractures had healed already. So yeah. You can't detect it in a lab, but the energy of the remedy is there and it is powerful. QUANTUM PHYSICS IS EXPLAINING THESE THEORIES NOW. Maybe you should read about it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Herbal supplements can be extremely dangerous if taken with many many medications. Never take an herbal supplements without first checking it out with your health care provider or a member of your regular pharmacy. If we eat a well balanced diet there is even no need to even take a daily vitamin as you are wasting your money on a vitamin that your body is just eliminating in your urine.

Well, lots of luck on that. Most docs here are completely ignorant of herbal treatments. Not so in Europe. It is actually the pharmaceuticals that are lethal. It has been estimated (by the medical establishment itself) that 100,000 deaths in the U. S. are directly attributable to prescription drugs.

the medical industry is the third highest cause of death in america - including everything from doctor error, misdiagnosis, hospital-borne-disease, AND side effects from prescription drugs taken in proper dosages. i'll look for the statistics if you want. I've had this argument on here before I believe.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    homeopathic remedies,

you're so funny.

Yeah and when my son had pleurisy the "black magic" cured him in two days. You sound so ignorant you know, because you just dribble your drool without knowing what your'e trying to say.

And Zantac saved my son when his GERD was causing him to lose weight as in infant.
  • smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    homeopathic remedies,

you're so funny.

Homeopathic "remedies" are placebos and nothing else. The liquids are nothing but water, and the pills are nothing but sugar.

There is literally no other substance in them, unless they've added a preservative or something.

But the thing listed on the outside of the bottle? There's none of that inside the bottle. You know that, right? Homeopathy is the process by which you start with a substance and then dilute it in water so many times there isn't any of it left.

Oh I know EXACTLY how homeopathic remedies are made. I am taking a course on homeopathy in fact. The energy of the substance is left, even though your scientists can't detect the crude substance anymore. And guess what, we've used them for a long time and it isn't placebo. You try giving your kids or other family members a placebo when they are puking, or sick with pleurisy, or teething, or having palpitations, or going into shock from falling 20 ft onto concrete . . . and see how they fare lol.

My daughter fell from the second story of a barn onto concrete and broke her wrist in two places. The neighbor drove her to me (4 houses away) and by then she was going into shock. I gave her arnica montana immediately and we both watched as the color returned to her lips/fingertips, and she became more responsive. Arnica montana also is indicated when there is bruised soft tissues. Because I gave her this remedy immediately, she never got a bruise . . . none. She did however break her arm in two places and it had to be reset. The doc was REALLY worried because she damaged her growth plate. He gave her a cast and he asked that she return in a 2 weeks. Well she was taking another homeopathic remedy during those two weeks and when they did the xray the growth plate was completely normal and one of the fractures had healed already. So yeah. You can't detect it in a lab, but the energy of the remedy is there and it is powerful. QUANTUM PHYSICS IS EXPLAINING THESE THEORIES NOW. Maybe you should read about it.

OMG this thread just went QUANTUM!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    homeopathic remedies,

you're so funny.

that's fascinating. also, good point re: quantum physics.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    BUT I say people have been eating sugar for thousands of years...why change that now for an unnatural chemical?? Id rather deal with the calories :-)

Finally, a sensible response. If it's not found in nature, most likely it's not good for you.
    Why risk it if you're concerned about your health? If not, go ahead and drink artificial sweeteners every day. It's your body.

Exactly. Exactly. And in addition . . . there are anecdotal stories regarding aspartame negatively effecting health, and there are some studies that raise enough concern to conduct more studies. Why do people defend something that has all the ear marks of being the next big oooooops in our history of thinking something is okay and then realizing later it's toxic. Look at cigarettes for instance. We were told they were harmless for soooooo long. Yeah right.

People drawing false connections are not "earmarks" of being the next big OOOH.

Aspartame has been tested and scrutinized more than nearly any other item on the market, and the evidence for it being harmful has been found to be lacking.

But people will still believe what they want.

Funny that many of the same people tout the use of "herbal" supplements and pseudo-scientific methods that have not undergone nearly the same level of testing. But that's OK because it's "natural". As if there are no poisonous substances in nature.

My Epstein Barre is on the way out as a result of taking the three herbs below. Notice each of these herbs have been studied. I didn't keep looking for additional studies for each herb, I'm sure there are more. So please don't shoot your mouth about herbs when you obviously don't know about them.

Note that the study on Licorice Root "suggested that GL (a component of Licorice Root) interferes with an early step of EBV replication cycle (possibly penetration)." Note that the first study on Lomatium found "The bioactivity of the known compounds (+)-falcarindiol, coniferyl ferulate, ferulic acid and (Z)-ligustilide (components of Lomatium) were confirmed against the Gram-positive bacteria Bacillus subtilis and Staphylococcus aureus." The second study of Lomatium states "A Lomatium dissectum root extract completely inhibited the cytopathic effects of rotavirus." The Abstract on Mullen Leaf states "Common mullein (Verbascum thapsus L.) is a medicinal plant readily found in roadsides, meadows and pasture lands and has been used to treat pulmonary problems, inflammatory diseases, asthma, spasmodic coughs, diarrhoea and migraine headaches. Although it has been used medicinally since ancient times, the popularity of common mullein has been increasing commercially for the past few years." "The use of common mullein extracts in folk medicine begun recently to be supported by an increasing number of research studies. This paper thoroughly reviews all the scientific research related to Verbascum thapsus L. including plant tissue cultures and the biological properties of this plant."

Licorice Root
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=licorice+root+epstein+barre

Lomatium
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16444670
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8847882

Mullen Leaf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16222647

WOW. Herbal supplements contain substances that help control disease.

Do you know what else works. Pharmaceutical-grade extracts that actually allow us to control dosage.

and cause side effects while herbal supplements dont. yeah i know which one i'd choose!

Herbal supplements don't cause side effects? Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_herbs_with_known_adverse_effects

This is like the "metabolism booster" arguments.

No, the green tea and raspberry ketone pills don't do anything. The pills that do, like ephedra and DNP, actually have dangerous side effects.

Go figure. Any substance that causes some significant change in the body has a side effect! Amazing thought.

So tell me exactly what side effects I'm supposed to be feeling from Mullein Leaf, Lomatium and Licorice Root?

A homeopathic preparation of any of the above substances will contain none of any of the above substances. So you'll feel whatever you convince yourself to feel.

Lol the above substances were tested as crude substances and I'm taking them as crude substances. If I were taking homeopathic preparations of the herbs they were first of all be called something different and secondly I would have said so. I'm taking those herbs prepared in a laboratory setting where the resulting liquid is quality controlled for consistency, contamination, etc. etc.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    homeopathic remedies,

you're so funny.

And Zantac saved my son when his GERD was causing him to lose weight as in infant.

natural remedies would have done the same and not put him at risk for serious side effects.
  • NaBroski
    Options
    QUANTUM PHYSICS IS EXPLAINING THESE THEORIES NOW. Maybe you should read about it.

I'm currently pursuing my doctorate in Quantum Communication. You couldn't be more wrong.
  • NaBroski
    Options

that's fascinating. also, good point re: quantum physics.

Please explain how quantum physics supports homeopathy. I can't wait for the lulz.

If you need help with the math, here's a link to help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger_equation
  • smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    QUANTUM PHYSICS IS EXPLAINING THESE THEORIES NOW. Maybe you should read about it.

I'm currently pursuing my doctorate in Quantum Communication. You couldn't be more wrong.

It's the internet, of course these homeopathic people know quantum physics.... duh!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    :laugh: