Health food not so healthy???

Options

Replies

• judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Penn & Teller did a funny bit on B*ll**** where they chopped several fruits in half then told people one half was organic and the other half was non-organic. The vast majority of the people said the organic half (keep in mind again, this was from the same fruit) tasted better. Organic is marketing hype. Feel free to pay double for your veggies though if you really feel the need.

I prefer not to eat pesticides with my meals. I also prefer to have my veggies grown in nutrient rich soil.

Why do you think organic produce doesn't use pesticides?

With regard to pesticides, it must also be noted that organic farming, while using methods to minimize pests and the need for pesticides, still uses organic, rather than synthetic, pesticides. For example a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture is commonly used. Such pesticides are not as well studied as synthetic pesticides, often require more applications, and may persist longer in the soil. In fact the use of “natural” pesticides is nothing more than an appeal to the naturalistic fallacy – there really is no evidence for superior safety, and they have not been adequately studied.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/is-organic-food-more-healthful/

That's interesting about rotenone-pyrethrin I'll have to look into that because that is news to me. Thanks for the heads up.
    We grow huge organic gardens and raspberries and we have never used ANY organic or synthetic pesticides. When we don't have it growing in our own garden or greenhouse, then I buy organic produce from a privately owned health food store that buys local, organic produce as much as possible. I'll have to ask them if they use any organic pesticides.

I do know that in the article linked below, "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals."

http://www.rodale.com/health-benefits-organic?page=0,1

The way I look at is this. Big agri-business knows that consumers are demanding organic produce. They only offer organics now because they know they have to. Some states have laxer laws than others regarding organic farming requirements for certification. So I've been reluctant to buy organic produce from the big box stores because I've been concerned their organic produce is farmed using the least stringent standards . . . because after all they aren't offering organics because they necessarily feel passionate about it . . . they're going to offer it the cheapest way possible. On the other hand, I feel a local organic farm or small organic farm is growing organically because they feel passionately about clean food.

I'm laughing because I started by saying I prefer not to eat pesticides with my vegetables and that I prefer to eat vegetables grown from nutrient rich soil. Then it was pointed out that some possibly toxic "organic" pesticides are being used by some organic farms. I said thanks for the heads up and I'd look into it and see if the farms use any "organic" pesticides where I get veggies . . . also noting that we grow a high percentage of our food. I also noted that "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals." And then you poo pooed the President's Cancer Panel's report and instead gave me information regarding the hazards of rodent feces in coffee vs non organically produce. I find your line of thinking funny.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What do you suggest to use to disinfect them? Soil is full of bacteria,fungus. 3rd world countries use chlorinie to make drinking water. .
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Penn & Teller did a funny bit on B*ll**** where they chopped several fruits in half then told people one half was organic and the other half was non-organic. The vast majority of the people said the organic half (keep in mind again, this was from the same fruit) tasted better. Organic is marketing hype. Feel free to pay double for your veggies though if you really feel the need.

I prefer not to eat pesticides with my meals. I also prefer to have my veggies grown in nutrient rich soil.

With regard to pesticides, it must also be noted that organic farming, while using methods to minimize pests and the need for pesticides, still uses organic, rather than synthetic, pesticides. For example a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture is commonly used. Such pesticides are not as well studied as synthetic pesticides, often require more applications, and may persist longer in the soil. In fact the use of “natural” pesticides is nothing more than an appeal to the naturalistic fallacy – there really is no evidence for superior safety, and they have not been adequately studied.

That's interesting about rotenone-pyrethrin I'll have to look into that because that is news to me. Thanks for the heads up.
    We grow huge organic gardens and raspberries and we have never used ANY organic or synthetic pesticides. When we don't have it growing in our own garden or greenhouse, then I buy organic produce from a privately owned health food store that buys local, organic produce as much as possible. I'll have to ask them if they use any organic pesticides.

I do know that in the article linked below, "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals."

The way I look at is this. Big agri-business knows that consumers are demanding organic produce. They only offer organics now because they know they have to. Some states have laxer laws than others regarding organic farming requirements for certification. So I've been reluctant to buy organic produce from the big box stores because I've been concerned their organic produce is farmed using the least stringent standards . . . because after all they aren't offering organics because they necessarily feel passionate about it . . . they're going to offer it the cheapest way possible. On the other hand, I feel a local organic farm or small organic farm is growing organically because they feel passionately about clean food.

I'm laughing because I started by saying I prefer not to eat pesticides with my vegetables and that I prefer to eat vegetables grown from nutrient rich soil. Then it was pointed out that some possibly toxic "organic" pesticides are being used by some organic farms. I said thanks for the heads up and I'd look into it and see if the farms use any "organic" pesticides where I get veggies . . . also noting that we grow a high percentage of our food. I also noted that "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals." And then you poo pooed the President's Cancer Panel's report and instead gave me information regarding the hazards of rodent feces in coffee vs non organically produce. I find your line of thinking funny.

The link clearly show that the "chemicals" you claim are "toxic" are no more dangerous than the ones produced naturally by your precious organic produce.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    bagels.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The "bad" foods...

Fruit, Vegetables, whole grains, not whole grains, dairy, soy, anything with chemicals in it, anything without chemicals in it, water, sugar, alcohol, legumes, nuts, eggs, egg whites, egg substitutes, herbs, spices, sugar again,...

f'in paranoid MFP universe...

if you all are happy and seeing success eating whatever foods you want, then great! but if other people choose to live a different lifestyle than you, why does that give you the right to criticize and troll their threads? the guy was asking a simple question, and half of you jumped in here to flame against people who are more meticulous about their diets. I don't do lactose, and I have currently cut out grains as well. Does that make me orthorexic or paranoid? Absolutely not. I love food and I love my life. But I also am fascinated by the human body, and in my research I've learned some amazing things about how the body can heal itself and work at its optimal level if you feed it the nutrients it really wants - so that's what I strive to do.

You don't have to agree. That's your choice. But why do you all feel the need to flame people who view things differently than you?

I just wanted to say THANK YOU! I can't even begin to tell you how hurtful some of these comments have been for me to read. think I'll stay away from the message boards and the snarky immature people on them. Not worth it. Thought the purpose was something completely different.

you won't eat certain foods because of email chain letters, but we're the immature ones.

I won't eat certain foods because of what I've read about them. NOTHING to do with chain emails actually. And yet, if you read anything about it, you would know that the way they USED to be made back in the 80's when they were first introduced is not the same way they are today.... much like alot of the foods available at the stores today.

Honestly, people make alot of assumptions on here ~ without for one second realizing that there is a real person on the other end reading the comments. And regardless of how you feel about it, I do have feelings ~ and I didn't realize THIS was the purpose of the boards. Now I know.

The purpose of any discussion forum is to share information. By calling out those who provide false or faulty information, we all help each other learn.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And this why I stay completely away from food!!!!!!.....and now i am afraid of water!!! :tongue:

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Eat, exercise, die anyways!!!

Quite a snarky comment from a "Christian Wife" ~ you people with some of these comments need to seriously reconsider what you post, and how you come across. Pretty sad.

No need to attack someone or their religion. It was not a mean or hateful post. Just someone making a joke.

How exactly did I attack? and my post had NOTHING to do with religion, but with the name she chose for herself on these boards. And yes it was a snarky comment. and immature. Not something I'd expect from someone who calls herself a christian wife.

So, Christians are not allowed to have a sense of humor because you don't find it funny? And questioning someone's religion because they make a joke is not "attacking".

Okay, then. Glad we got that cleared up. :huh:
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This thread should get interesting...

1242925128_houseomnomnom.gif
  • hannyz08
    hannyz08 Posts: 31
    Options
    I used to eat pure bleach until someone told me to switch to organic
  • judydelo1
    Options

The link clearly show that the "chemicals" you claim are "toxic" are no more dangerous than the ones produced naturally by your precious organic produce.

Yep that's what you think. I think differently. Do you have a problem with that?
  • NaBroski
    Options

Yep that's what you think. I think differently. Do you have a problem with that?

You can think whatever you want.

My position is supported by evidence, yours is not.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options

C-C-C-C-C-COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BREAKER!!!!!

Some of those cereals with nuts sure do have lots of calories huh?
  • judydelo1
    Options

Then why is did "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals."
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    almond milk made me sick :ohwell:

other then that still experimenting, though can't wait until the vegetable garden is started.
  • cakemewithyou
    cakemewithyou Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    So basically, you guys don't eat anything?

BRB...going to McDonalds
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Snopes can be a wealth of helpful information.

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/carrots.asp

Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

amen.
  • NaBroski
    Options

Then why is did "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals."

You'll have to ask them. But a 3-person panel, one of whom is a steroid-fueled former cyclist, is far from the best resource for scientific information.

Edit: On closer inspection, Lance is no longer on the panel. But one of the members is listed as a "Cancer Survivor", with no other credentials.

Not exactly an expert on the sciences.
  • ashleab37
    Options
    There is a study somewhere showing that reading this thread is giving you cancer.
    Brain cancer, yes.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    jesus from this thread alone you would think you aint allowed to eat anything lol
  • judydelo1
    Options
    So basically, you guys don't eat anything?

BRB...going to McDonalds

Purslane, Bok Choy, Arugula, Miner's Lettuce, Italian Lettuce, Beet Greens, Turnip Greens, Brussels Sprouts, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Cucumbers, Carrots, Green Beans, Snap Peas, Pumpkins, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Acorn Squash, Butternut Squash, Celery, Fiddleheads, Swiss Chard, Kale, Tatsoi, Purslane, Artichokes, Cauliflower, Onions, Garlic, Asparagus, Cabbage, Tomatoes, Sweet Peppers, Hot Peppers, Watercress, Tomatillos, Several varieties of Mushrooms, Parsnips, Turnips, Beets, Raspberries, Apples, Pears, Bananas, Pau Pau, Grapes, Blueberries, Mangos, Avocados, Kiwis, Coconut, Pistachios, Walnuts, Almonds, Peanuts, and various Nut Butters, Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk, Olive Oil, Herbal Teas, Coffee, Lentils, Rice, Barley, Millet, Quinoa, Chic Peas, Cannelloni Beans, Red Kidney Beans, Lima Beans, Hummus, Extra Dark Chocolate, Fresh and dried Herbs, Raw Honey, Rice Cakes, Olives, Miso, Ginger, Sesame Seeds, Chia Seeds, Pistachio Seeds, Flax Seeds . . . Hummm what am I missing?

Do you eat this much variety on a regular basis? BTW Most of the veggies and fruits and berries we grow ourselves.

Oooops edited because not finished with list
  • ashleab37
    Options
    eating the way we evolved to eat is orthorexic??

Implying we stopped evolving at paleolithic times is mildly amusing to me
    :laugh:

Everything on earth evolved from bugs and ****, maybe we should only eat leaves, roots, wood, and gross crap that grows under rocks. After all, it's the way we evolved!