WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE

Options

Replies

• mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    gcmisc28.gif

Guess who's been playing with the "Glitter " messages.??

xxxx
    Jackie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Laura,
    Welcome back!! Sounds like you have had quite a time. Wish you had my phone number. If you could have called me while you were stuck in Portland, I only live 15 minutes away from the airport. Could have come and helped you pass the time. Sorry your travel didn't go smoothly.

Sounds like "mom" is in a good place, and getting settled in, so I know you are worn out from all you have had to do, but you can be proud of the good care you have given to your mom, and though she may not always tell you, I am betting she really appreciates all you and your family have done for her.

tiarapants,
    Sorry to hear of you dad's troubles. I hope you have a car that gets good mileage, 'cuz it sounds like you are going to be doing a lot of driving to see him and your MIL. Take care of yourself too!!

Jackie,
    So you succumbed to the "Attack of the Killer Doughnuts," did ya? Well, it is a new day and a new week, and to escape with only a minimal gain is probably a pretty good outcome, all things considered.

BTW, I haven't mentioned the search for Kyron Hormon. Sadly, he still hasn't been found. They are now treating it as a criminal investigation. On the basis of a tip, they are searching an island in the Columbia River and the surrounding water. They are also searching other places, but nothing has been found that gives any clue--or at least, nothing has been released to the news media.

I keep thinking of the Elizabeth Smart case, and how she was found months later, alive, and more or less well, and Jacee Lee Dugard, the young woman from California who was discovered YEARS later, a captive of the sick individual who snatched her. All the same, I don't have a good feeling about this. (To those outside the US, E. Smart was the young woman from the state of Utah who was kidnapped by a predator and kept captive by he and his wife. The circumstances of her discovery was really quite miraculous. Same with Jacee--strictly by chance she was found in the compound in which she had been captive for years.)

Anyway, all we can do at this point is pray for Kyron and his family.

I am going out soon to run some errands and meet my friend Thomy for a late lunch. I feel better than I did yesterday, and the rash has disappeared, so I think my sunscreen was the culprit. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Barb
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how these posts pile up when your off for a day! :noway: Can't possibly comment on each but will read all. :wink:
    My daughter is at the lawyers for the house signing and I am so happy. May God Bless them in their new house!:flowerforyou:
    I will be very busy helping her so I may be popping in and out very quickly untill I can spend some time on the computer.

Sending hugs to all! Welcome newcomers.....this is the best place to get encouragement and talk to those who are on a similar journey as you! Track, post, take 1 day at a time, be honest about the foods that are "setting you off" and get rid of them, exercise, drink a lot of water and try new healthier foods. I see ads for all these other programs that cost an arm and a leg, and you have a FREE and totally sufficient program here. Take advantage of it! I've been doing it since last August and I think I DIDN'T track maybe 1 or 2 days.:happy:

So hang in there all you who are not feeling well and dealing with parents. I, too, have a MIL that is in a nursing home and she is really failing. She is 91 and has to be all doped up to keep her out of pain. She has refused to eat.....and from my experience with other failing parents....that is the beginning of the end. It may sound terrible, but she has absolutely no quality of life and I wish the good Lord would take her. So, I pray for all in those situations.

'Happiness is a choice" someone once said, so I hope you look for some joy in today. Someone else once said....when things are challenging.....:'There's got to be a pony in all this manure!!!" :laugh:

BirdieM:heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,372 Member
    Options
    Kathy - was checking out those sites. I already own some of the CardioCoach series!

Welcome Belinda! By posting, you've joined. Tell us a little more about yourself.

Linda - it IS just so amazing how much we all have in common. Regardless of the state or country, we are all women, who are going thru roughly the same sorts of things or we will be going thru them (kids, grandkids, weddings, taking care of our parents, etc. etc. etc). It is so comforting to talk to someone who truly understands. Sometimes someone who has been where we are can give us good advice, too. Feel better real fast. Glad you can still post....lol

Mary - so sorry to hear about your mom. It can be so frustrating for us, but it must be really frustrating for them -- not to be able to do what you have done.

mimi - it just kills me knowing that dd is being abused. Guess that's one good thing about living in NC -- I don't have to actually see it every day. Whenever Vince looks at Lexi (the cat who was abused), his heart aches because he knows what she's been thru. She's still skittish if you make any fast move. For the longest time, she would run away from me. Now it's at the point of where she'll let me pet her some. She's come a long way -- but I don't know if she'll ever be fully trusting, and I can completely understand it. I think deep inside dd feels that she can "fix" him. If he is truly bi-polar, then he has a chemical imbalance and she can't "fix" that. dd is a very mothering/nurturing type of person. You know, before it was seized from her, dd would tell us all about how he was giving the cat a bath (trying to show how he's taking care of it). Even Jessica told her that cats don't need baths as often as he was giving it (a few times a month) and to be sure not to use shampoo but special cat shampoo. Vince suddenly realized why the guy was giving the cat so many baths. He was torturing the cat, probably holding it under the water. To this day, Lexi freaks out when she's even near running water. We've had her for two years, and she's so fastidious that we've never given her a bath. Oh, they used shamppoo on Lexi.

tcac - where in PA do you live? We used to live in the Poconos, then Vince got transferred to West Chester office and we lived in Kennett Square. When we were living in the Poconos, we took a bike ride on a rail to trail, I think it was in Jim Thorpe. Very, very nice

Barb (weaklink) - you know what is the worst part about perhaps my suspicions are correct about dd#3? Knowing that there's not a darn thing in this world that I can do about it.

Cindy - I have a cousin who when she was in her teens couldn't stand the sight of blood. She would have her mother change her pad when she got her period. What does she do today? She's an OR nurse!

Happy Anniversary, Viv, and many many more!

Welcome AZDee. I can't wait to get our pool, swimming is such good (even relaxing) exercise!

Mary - prayers for you and your mom

Barb (weaklink) - I am so blessed that I never had to have the "time to stop driving" talk with my father. He decided all on his own. It really was time for MIL to stop driving, but then we moved her from FL to PA to be closer to us, and she never got her license. Really, not that she would have been able to. The MD in FL said that she couldn't see well enough, so she would never have gotten a license in PA. But she didn't even try. We drove her everywhere. Good luck on your talk with your dad. Let us know how it goes

Laura - You just reconfirmed for me how very lucky I was in that my father had gone thru most of his things before he passed. I totally agree with SuzyQ -- make time for yourself! Before he passed, we had an angel of a woman living with him, cooking for him; but she needed time with her family, too. So every Saturday a.m. I'd drive the 1-1/2 hr, spend the night there, and then drive home the next day. I had my own family to take care of, too. But thru it all, I tried (and pretty muchly succeeded) to make time for myself. That is so very important.

Remember Sunday I had this sick feeling in my stomach that something was wrong with dd's cat? Well, she called today. Seems whenever she pet the cat on the leg that had been broken (by now, according to the vet, it should be healed) yesterday the cat seemed in distress, would sometimes even try to bite her. Admitted, something could have gotten in its fur and when she rubbed it, that bothered the cat. However, I'm willing to bet the ranch that SFB abused it and it was feeling the pain, you know DOMS-type thing. You have no idea how much I wanted to take that cat myself. But I also know that that wouldn't solve anything, she'd do like she did when Lexi was taken from her and get another cat. When will she wake up????

Michele
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Greetings everyone. Hope everyone has had a good day. I have been busy with sibling lunch and sorting through "stuff" for the Goodwill and Consignment store. I have some good qualtiy oak bar stools that I'd like to try selling rather than giving them away.

True confession time, Jackie...I had a "three donut day" while I was on vacation in So Cal. It was the beginning of a bad week! Fortunately that is behind me, too, and I am doing pretty good now.

Okay...so I had to try the graphics too. Thought we could all use some cheerleaders! Hope it works!

agmisc9.gif

Have a good night all!
  • jaxi
    jaxi Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi everybody! I'm quite new to the MFP site and was recently invited to join this group. I'm so overwhelmed by the number of women who post almost daily (a bit intimidating), but everyone sounds really nice and it appears to be a very welcoming group. I'd like to join in on the talks but maybe I'll wait awhile and just read them to get a feel for what's been happening. There's a lot of history here. I will post from time to time when there is something new.

Have a great evening and I'll be lurking tomorrow! Thanks again, Kathy, for the invite!

Jaxi :flowerforyou:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart: not quite sure how to share this, but having #2 son at home for almost 2 weeks has opened our eyes again to his mental state. He is a lovely man of 37, with many hopes, dreams and talents. Hopes and dreams that were shattered and a broken heart left behind. It pains us to watch a train-wreck in motion and talents fragmented and fallen to the ground. I can't tell you how much it pains us. He is such a good man. Why do such bad things happen to such good people. Who ever thought that when you had your babies.......

'nough of this my MFP friends. I've read your posts, I've understood, I've read between the lines when lines themselves did not tell the story......and I know......I understand....the cry of the heart.

:heart: Yet......We keep on going, and going and going. We pick up the pieces, we focus on what is good and we get back on that wagon of optimism. Life.....must go on.

Rebel
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through this with Mom and I sure do hope that I really have learned my lesson and won't put my kids through this. I can but keep my fingers crossed.

Talking with Mom this afternoon she said she doesn't like it there, I figured this would happen. I think it's more the other's that live there that she doesn't care for, she hasn't said it yet but I have a feeling she thinks those other's are "old", which I'm sure they are as she is 83 herself. She said she likes the care givers so it must be the others living there, but we aren't moving her:huh:

Well this is the second day this week that I've gotten home late and no work out so I'm always in hope of tomorrow. I do feel like such a slugbait when I don't get to the basement and at least do something.

Terri - love the cheerleaders and yes we can all use a little uplifting cheer.,

Til tomorrw and a new beginning:flowerforyou:

Laura
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    'Happiness is a choice" someone once said, so I hope you look for some joy in today. Someone else once said....when things are challenging.....:'There's got to be a pony in all this manure!!!" :laugh:

I thought this sentiment was worth repeating.
    I have been faithful about reading the posts and laughing and crying with you.

:flowerforyou: Laura, thank you for sharing the frustration of moving your mother........my parents stayed in their own home until the end of their lives........when my mother died she was in the same town with me so it was easier to go through all her stuff........she had saved all her income tax paperwork since her first job in 1935 :smile: We moved a ton of stuff into storage just so we could deal with it later (it took ten years before we finally got rid of the last storage unit).....for years after my mother died I had dreams of her reappearing and finding fault with what I'd done with her stuff........you get many stars and kudos for what you've accomplished.

:flowerforyou: Viv, Happy Anniversary a day late

:flowerforyou: Kathy (plant lady) I'm so glad to hear from you again.....I know you've had some tough times with your parents.

:flowerforyou: Barb, I don't envy you the "time to stop driving" talk with your dad.......my mom got shingles in her eyes and suffered significant vision problems right about the time we had decided to have that talk with her......we had already decided to not ride with her and were getting ready for "the talk" when the shingles solved that problem as it created a dozen more

:flowerforyou: tcac, I love my Shape-Ups......I tried them because Suzzzeque recommended them....I started by wearing them for 45 minutes a day and eventually got to wearing them all the time.......I wear them around the house, walking on the bumpy grass at the dog park, walking for hours on the Discovery Trail, and line dancing...at the all day line dance workshop, I did change into another pair of shoes after dinner.....I recently bought a second pair so I don't have to worry so much about getting one pair a little dirty walking in the grass.

:flowerforyou: Cathy, thanks for sharing about using circular needles for knitting......I started using circular needles when we were traveling
    DH was always nervous about the long needles poking him while he was driving, and circular needles avoided the crisis of dropping a needle between the seats while driving and not being able to stop to crawl around looking for the lost needle.......you made an important point about getting back up after getting down on the mat for "Gut 'N' Butt" exercises....the getting up can be an important part of the workout....maybe level one of the exercises is "getting down and getting up"......

:flowerforyou: On my yoga DVD Rodney Yee says, "making the pose extreme has no importance" so just do what you can do...if you feel the stretch or the challenge, then it is a good exercise for you.

:flowerforyou: Today I experience "Step Loss"
    finding out midday that the battery was dead on my step counter and not getting credit for the steps I'd already walked :sad: Yes, I know that my problems today are trivial:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I have finally finished cooking a lot of food to take and put in Mom's freezer tomorrow, and I plan to head out early in the morning. I still have to get up early to bake the meatballs for lunch and pack. My sister said that a social worker came today, and they are trying to get Mom into a rehab center for a while. I know it is best, but also know that she will hate it. I am taking her to get her first epidural shot tomorrow afternoon. Don't know if I will have time to check in while I am gone or not, so everyone have a great week!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    We will be thinking of you Mary, even if you are not able to post. Hope your mom is feeling better soon.

Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning everyone from sunny York. :glasses:

Yes the sun is finally shining,:smile: so thank you for sending some of your sunshine over here it is much appreciated.

:flowerforyou: Thank you for all the Anniversary wishes, we are hoping to go out for a meal this weekend to celebrate.:drinker:

I have a day off work today and I am catching up with housework (lucky me) :huh: but first thought I would catch up with everyone.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to AZDee - what an exciting time for you with both your daughters expecting. It’s great being a grandma and Welcome to Jaxi we are not intimidating honest :laugh: hope you post again soon.

:flowerforyou: Hi Plantlady (Kathy) Welcome back and sorry you have had such as stressful time but good on you for losing 5lbs.

:flowerforyou: Mimi thanks for your post I totally agree with you, there are times too when I have felt envious of other people’s weight loss, but as you say this is about life time changes and it is so good to share it with people like yourself and this group - you have made me feel more positive - thank you. What’s that saying Rome wasn’t built in a Day :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Welcome back Jackie it sounds like you had a good time and that is the main thing. We have all done it haven’t we - had a case of the mayaswells and 1.5 lbs is not too bad weight gain :drinker: I’m sure you’ll soon get back on track, Good luck with you mum coming home on Thursday hope it all goes well.

:flowerforyou: Laura you sound as if you have been very busy with one thing and another. I’m glad your mum likes her Foster Home and that she has people on hand to help her. Any news of the baby yet?

:flowerforyou: Suezzeque is it Cider Vinegar that you are talking about, do you drink it on its own? Does it really work ? I used to add cider vinegar to the doggies water (read it was supposed to help with arthritis) but they didn’t like it.

:frown: I can’t believe the time - I’d better make a move the housework is calling me - even though I am trying to ignore it :bigsmile:

To everyone I’ve not mentioned I am thinking of you too. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

BFN

Viv :smile:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Can't believe it's midweek already!

I've just been having a quick read through all the posts and I really do feel that so many of us are in the same boat with parents. My mum died five years ago and I have only just finished going through all her stuff. She was a real hoarder. Some things were good to find (like the knitting patterns that she had kept from when she knitted baby clothes for all her kids - I've found them very useful). The good thing is that my dad has seen how much stuff there was to be done and has been throwing stuff out ever since. His place is almost minimalistic now.

Dad is still in the hospital. I'll head out to see him in a couple of hours, but I've spoken to him a few times today already. They are doing another 24 hour heart monitor tape and have decided that he should have a pacemaker fitted sooner rather than later. He had a quadruple heart bypass about six years ago, but things have definitely started to 'go off' again in that department.

I feel extremely mean-spirited when I say this, but I hate the idea of having to move in with him or have him to live with us. I won't go into it too much on here, but I did not have a particularly loving or happy childhood and I'm only now beginning to feel like I'm getting a life of my own. My brothers and sister offer no help whatsoever and never have done. I love my sister and eldest brother dearly, but they are both extremely selfish. The other brother hasn't had contact with us for nearly 30 years and it is unlikely that we will ever have contact again (again, I won't go into it too deeply, but he was a sexually abusive s.o.b. and contributed to my unhappy early years in a major way).

If I could do one thing today to really indulge myself, it would be to drive to the coast and go for a walk by the sea. It's a craving I get from time to time and when I satisfy the urge, it always makes me feel so much more settled.

The postman has just delivered some exciting things - a pair of shape-ups (they are SO heavy!), a new HRM and a pilates dvd. My eldest daughter asked me if I was becoming obsessive about getting in shape and I put her right on two counts. One, this is about getting healthy and really nothing to do with my shape (although that won't hurt!) and two, I'm not obsessive, I'm committed. So committed, that I even walked up the six flights of stairs to the hospital ward to see my dad yesterday! (Good job I always carry my asthma inhalers!)

Wow, I'd better get going. Catch you all later. Have a healthy day and do something to make yourself smile at least once! xx
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am ready to get an HRM which one seems to be the easiest to use and which one is your favorite? I got one response about Polar f7. I keep hitting wrong keys so sorry if this keeps posting.
    2) I put an exercise ticker on and it does not move, what do I need to do?
    3) I have noticed that I do not always meet all my exercise cal. for a day and was wondering do all of you? One thing I have noticed is that the site gives me way more cal. than my eleptical records and more than my pedometer records. I always go in tn and change the numbers to what my equipment records. I am not sure which I should be recording. I know this is a bit anal, but unfortunately that is me. My bf is the most laid back person I know and she is always laughing at how detailed I am.
    I am going to doctor to have ribs etc checked today. Pain is letting up and hope to go back to work tomorrow. Please keep my daughter and her family in your prayers. They are going through some rought financial times and may lose their house. My daughters car was repossed yesterday. We were able to help with that, but just cannot help with anything else. We have both my 84 year old dad living with us and my brother who has schizophrenia, so we are strapped. Not to mention Melissa's wedding. She lost her job a month ago when her company lost a big account. She cannot look for another job because her husband to be is going full time in milatary and they do not know yet where they will be living. Amanda must go to work this evening and we are the babysitters for her 4 kids and my husband just left for an over-night business trip. I hope I get good news from doctor today on my ribs. I do not know how I will ever lift 2 year old in and out of car. Anyways, enough of my complaining. I have soooo much to be grateful for: all of our health. I have a husband who loves me and 2 girls who love me and 4 wonderful grandchildren. We live in a wonderful country. I have found this site which is a huge blessing to me. Most of all I have a God who loves and sustains me. Everyone have a great day and thanks for being here.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome, newbies! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:This is a great group!

AZDee--My daughter is due TODAY but Baby Isaac appears to be comfy right where he is! He's her first so I'll give it another week or so!:happy: SHE'S very ready, though!:laugh:

Renny--I'm sorry your son is having such a hard time right now. love0085.gif I hope and pray his life gets better soon!

Laura--I think your Mom will like the place she's in once she gets used to it--my aunt "hated" the rehab/assisted living facility she was in until she made a couple of friends--then she loved it and couldn't imagine ever leaving!:smile:

Kathy (plantlady)--:flowerforyou: Nice to see you! A 5 pound loss even with all you've been through! You are doing great!:drinker:

Barbiecat--I know how you feel about "step loss"! I forgot to wear mine one day and wasn't able to see how far I'd come that day! :laugh: Life can be so hard at times! :laugh:

Mary--Prayers for you and your Mom. I hope she starts feeling better and that all the best decisions will be made. love0085.gif

Viv--So THAT'S where our sunshine went! It was so nice here for a couple of days but it is gray and rainy again:grumble: .Supposed to be nice this weekend, though!

Tiarapants--I don't think you sound mean- spirited at all! It is what it is. To be honest, I would HATE it if my mother had to live with me! (she lives with 2 of my sisters.) She was always extremely critical and nothing I did was right. I find it easier to love her at a distance!
    Lately there have been a few times when I've wondered if I was becoming obsessive but you are right--we are committed to getting healthier! Sometimes I get frustrated, though, because the scale hasn't moved much at all since I quit smoking. I do feel about a hundred times better, though, so, don't worry--I'm NOT giving up!

Welcome jaxi--:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: just jump in whenever you are ready. That's what I did!:laugh:

Well, I know I've missed some people and I'm sorry for that. Please know that I think of you all often and send little prayers up when I do.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Suezzeque is it Cider Vinegar that you are talking about, do you drink it on its own? Does it really work ? I used to add cider vinegar to the doggies water (read it was supposed to help with arthritis) but they didn’t like it.
    Viv :smile:

Yes I use organic apple cider vinegar and chase it with water. Yes it really works. I posted about it at length while back on the nutritional thread so you can read all about it there. I'm sure your dogs turned up their noses at vinegar water. It tastes NASTY!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83045-apple-cider-vinegar-helps-conquer-carb-cravings

I could tell long tales about caring for Moma her last 16 months. It was a roller coaster ride but I can honestly say I have no regrets. One of the hardest times was when I had to admit to myself that I could no longer handle caring for her on my own and the transition into a nursing home. I'm sure it is excruciating to give up your independence and your things to go. My Moma was mad at me for about 3 weeks, but then flourished there once she got over being angry. She was about 10 minutes from me so I saw her every day and took her on outings a couple of times a week. We had so many special times together my brothers missed out on by not coming but once a year. Curves was my "me time" during that season of life.

We are finally about finished remodeling this house, so being the gluttons for punishment we both are, we made an offer on another fixer-upper yesterday. Its as close to the big house we built in AR as we can afford out here in West Texas. Best part is all the closets and the 50+ year old windbreak surrounding the property. Its been empty awhile and needs updating badly ~ the story of our lives! Hubby says this will be the last one, if we get it. (In 32 years we have built one house from the ground up and remodeled 7 houses while we lived in them. )

:flowerforyou: Today I'll be mowing and planting some annuals between loads of laundry. I think I am finally back on a daytime schedule again. Night shift took its toll. I am up another pound since last week. Happy Wednesday y'all! :happy:
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Welcome, Jaxi. Hope you jump in soon.

To all those with parents and parents-in-law health issues, my heart goes out to you. Having lost Elva (DH's mother who lived with us for 13 years) the end of January...the sadness of deteriorating mind and health are gone...but the permanent sadness of loss is with us. June 2 was her birthday and I, like the dope I am, sat in her chair in her room and sang happy birthday to her. June 13 was Elva's and John's wedding anniversary...they had their 50th in 1984 (John passed on July 18, 1984). My dad died of heart failure August 4, 1981 and my mom died ultimately of renal failure in a nursing home (which she hated) on July 6, 2003. Unfortunately (or fortunately??) it's all the circle of life. I know when I read the newspaper I am overwhelmed at how much sadness and awfulness there can be in the world.

So knowing that the only three certainties of life are: being born, dying and paying taxes we all go on every day to the best of our abilities. Happiness IS a choice. I choose to be happy. When sadness comes upon me, as it does, I grab my journal and I write and pray. My loving God always gets me through the tough patches and in the past year he's allowed me to discover tools to get me through them without resorting to emotional and stress eating. Now when the food just tastes to darn good (i.e. The Attack of the Killer Donuts) he gives me the grace to forgive myself and move on.

Here's wishing everyone a day filled with... agmisc1.gif

...hope you have a LOVELY day!!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    To all dealing with aging parents - Hang in there and keep the faith that what you are doing is right. Parents can make you feel really guilty about your decisions (my Mom does), but we have to do what is best to keep them safe and painfree until the end of their days. It takes strength and courage. You can do it and we are all hear to listen.

To those dealing with adult children needing assistance - Once a Mom always a Mom. It is hard to know when to let go and let them fail on their own and when to try and help. I hope that you will all know when to do both of those options.

Welcome to all newbies! Looking forward to getting to know you all.

I started the day with the Gut N But. I'm having lunch with a friend and neighbor, so I hope there will be good choices where we are going.

The most important thing to say today is................................drum roll please

I found my broom. It was in the back of hubby's truck and went camping with him and his friend from college. I owe both kiddos an apology for thinking they lost it when they were suppose to be cleaning the house.

I will take pleasure in small things today and behappy my favorite broom is back in one piece.

Have a great day,

Jeannie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Wednesday Morning.

Barbiecat, thank you for the kind words of encouragement:smile: , I can't even begin to imagine if we had just put everything in storage and taking 10 years to deal with all of it, just the small amount I do have that I brought home I just keep ignoring it:grumble: more that I just don't want to deal with right now. Every step is important when you are counting them...sorry about your dead battery:cry:

Mary, {{hugs}} to you as you deal with your Mom, I do understand:flowerforyou: and hope your Mom is better soon.

Viv - boy do I understand about enjoying the sunshine, after a very rainy weekend the sun is finally out and warm weather to go with it:glasses:

Tiarapants-Hope today is a better day for you and your Dad, hope he's better soon. :flowerforyou: This getting healthy and the bonus of a better looking body is quite the challenge when we are having to take on the roll of parent to our parents, find some time for you (I'm sure that going to the coast is out for now, maybe time with a good book?instead) Encouraging thoughts coming your way:drinker:

Tcac- You do have a lot on your plate:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: and hope that the doctor has good things to say about your ribs.

Kathy (pmjsmom)- My #2 DIL has 4 more weeks to go but is seeing the midwife today and has been in labor for the past week with some pretty good contractions, but feels that as long as #2 GS is still inside "cooking" that it's better for him. Everytime my cell phone rings I'm expecting it to be her telling us it's finally time. #1 GS was born at 37 weeks so we are all saying this one can arrive anytime. She had some really cute pictures taken of her with #1GS (he's 2.9 yrs/mo old) where both of them have their shirts pulled up, she had them made for our son that's at Ft. Jackson right now in training for his Father's Day Gift.:flowerforyou: Here's to us Grandma's:flowerforyou:

Suzzeque- your house remodles are more than I would be able to deal with, it took us 2.5 years to do our face lift on our home and living in all the dust and mess was just no fun...although I'm really liking the end result:bigsmile: You are sure to work off that one pound in no time with all you have planned:flowerforyou:

Terri- Such encouraging words and I see that you are loving the "imbeds" the peace dove is great:drinker:

Jeanne- starting the day with Gut & Butt:drinker: if only I were so dedicated!

I'm going to try my best to get out of the office on time so I can get some exercise in, I haven't done anything since Saturday and it's really starting to bug me. The papers that need filing and sorting that concern Mom are all over my house and I need to get them all filed and put away as it's really driving me crazy...just not likeing the mess my house is right now.

Everyone have a good day and keep fighting the fight to get fit and healthy:drinker:

Question for All --- what product do you use for winkles and firming up your loose skin once you have lost some excess weight? Just wondering what others are using. I'm currenltly using an AVON product for our age, I think it works...but who knows?

Laura:smile:
  • caminogirl
    caminogirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: This does seem to be a challenging month for many of us with parents and children – I guess we are at the age when we get to be the meat in the middle and get to try to keep it all together. :ohwell:
    :heart: Yet......We keep on going, and going and going. We pick up the pieces, we focus on what is good and we get back on that wagon of optimism. Life.....must go on.

You are so right in saying this Rebel, but it is a hard task sometimes. I’ve often wondered how it can be that our children are our greatest source of joy, but also our greatest source of stress and just like when they were little our heart can still break over their losses and disappointments when they are our ‘adult’ children – I think perhaps that’s a motherhood thing and I doubt it ever goes away. :heart:

As for aging drivers – I can add my two cents too. My FIL had his licence taken away last year at 83. He went for the seniors driving lessons and the cognitive testing which to our surprise he passed but he failed the driving test - didn’t even make it through the first 15 min because he fell asleep at the wheel when stopped at a red light. :noway: This didn’t surprise us as he can fall asleep mid-conversation and was the reason my BIL talked to his doctor to start the proceedings. Here in Ontario your doctor can pull your licence if they think it reasonable – so we all kind of copped out and let the doc do the dirty work. Perhaps this works in other jurisdictions as well. It still wasn't pretty but my BIL handled it all very patiently and respectfully and in the end my FIL blames the driving tester, who he will never see again :wink: and not the doctor (as he never made that link) or my BIL, which keeps him out of the line of fire!

Loss of control over one’s situation is a really difficult thing for seniors and can be very stressful for them. We try to give my FIL as much control as possible, but it is getting harder as his mental capacities diminish especially when it comes to financial issues – another pot of worms!

Barbie – I share your thoughts on ‘lost needles while driving’ and that’s why I started using them too – a real marriage saver! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It’s a rainy day here in Ontario, so time to do some housework and start planning for our two week camping trip, and also to have a bit of a read as I picked up Michael Pollan’s “Food Rules – An Eater’s Manual” yesterday. It’s a small book of quick thoughts on food and eating like “Avoid food products containing ingredients that a third-grader cannot pronounce”, “Don’t eat breakfast cereals that change the colour of the milk” and this one I really liked as it reminded me of Mimi’s post awhile back, “The banquet is in the first bite.” :happy:

Have a great day everyone,
    Cathy