Convince me Pop Tarts & ice cream are bad.

Options

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts alone are fine.

Ice cream alone is fine.

Combined they are trouble.

This story took place ages ago when I was in college visiting home. It was a nice Saturday morning and the family was having a nice normal breakfast. Me being stuck in the college mentality decided to have ice cream and pop tarts. My mother had an off hand comment about it but she didn't object, she just recommended that I at least heat the Pop Tarts and not eat them cold like a stoned hippy. So I started enjoying my ice cream bowl while I waited for the Tarts. Down the stairs came running trouble in the shape of my younger brother. My mother motioned him to his plate filled with eggs, beef hash and French toast, but it was too late cause like a hawk locked onto his prey so were my brother's eyes on my ice cream bowl.

A faded smile gave him and his intentions away, granted he was slick to say he needed ketchup from the fridge to justify walking towards my end of the table. But I knew that he hates ketchup!

The confirming act of the incoming attack was him grabbing my sister's spoon. And it began with a direct attack towards the center of my bowl of ice cream but I was ready fready! I slapped it away as a second and third attempt were made but none were fruitful into getting him a taste of my ice cream. At this point it's a full on wrestling match over the ice cream, but my brother wouldn't give up even as I DeSpooned him and he had no way of getting the delicious ice cream. So, like every desperate man he wanted a taste for all the effort he put in, and like a savage he reached with his fingers into the bowl.

I called on to the U.N or mother to deal with such savage unconventional attack, a quick "leave the hippy alone" directed at my brother stopped the ice cream bowl attacks. But like any soar loser he was not happy with the outcome, fate seemed to change cause at that very moment he contemplating what to do, if to accept defeat or retaliate somehow, the Pop Tarts popped out.

To him that was a for sure win as he was closer to the toaster and I had no way of stopping him before he would take a bite or two. So I immediately resorted to a combination of diplomacy, empty threats of violence, and even asking the UN for help. None of it mattered cause he had the determination in his eyes, so all I could do is watch as my Pop Tarts fell into enemy hands.

With his ice cream covered hand he reached for the Pop Tarts. What happened next is what convinced me Pop Tarts & ice cream are a bad combo. My brother screeched as he went flying from the counter and landing next to me. I was very confused as what had happened but I figured out as I saw the black burn marks on his fingers from the electric shock.

I don't know if this convinces you or anyone else about Pop Tarts & ice cream being bad, but my brother still doesn't eat pop tarts today.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Losing weight doesn't make you automatically healthier.

BOOM.

Actually, it does. There may be a few outliers, but health markers improve as body composition improves. That is like the one thing that is easily provable and most studies agree upon.

Boom
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I approve and am a strong believer in IIFYM. I do not eat like this everyday but often have one day a week so so like this. One day last week (Thursday for those on my friends list) I ate 1700 calories in candy alone and still hit my calorie target (exactly) and was extremely close on carbs, fat, and protein. I am currently at 10% body fat and am lifting more and running faster every month.

Like you my blood pressure, blood sugar, HR and cholesterol levels are all in great shape.

If you are enjoying ice cream and pop targets and reaching your goals, then I see no good reason to change your habits!

Anyone who has a hard time understanding this should Google "Twinkie Diet"
    My diet choices have come under a lot of scrutiny lately. Mostly my Pop tart and ice cream consumption. Please, convince me that I'm doing it wrong. Most of the people that have a problem with my diet say my food is nutrient deficient. In fact, I believe it's the unfounded fear of sugar that most people are taking exception.

My diary is open and I'm fairly consistent. Today is a good example of my typical day. The last few weeks I have been a bit more liberal with my diet as I'm coming up to a goal change at the end of the month. Go beyond that and you'll see major consistency (to the point of OCD almost). I advocate allowing yourself 20-25% of your daily caloric intake to consist of anything you want if you're able to hit your macro/micro nutrient needs & goals. For me, based on my intake goals, that's 800 -1000 calories, which I primarily have been allocating to sugar.

I would love to see how my surgary food is nutrient deficient as well, as I'm quite often told. Please show me in detail. Set me right. I log everything and their nutritional values are easily found online. For instance there's 14 g of sugar in one 200 cal Pop Tart. That leaves 144 calories of "other stuff". Is this other stuff air or is it fats/carbs/protein (even 10% of the RDA of 7 micro-nutrients) that are required nutrients?

I would prefer non-anecdotal evidence. As far as "empty calories" go, that's going to be a tough sell for me. A calorie is a unit of measurement and in order to have any caloric value there must be a certain amount of macro (even micro) nutrients present, we'll say for the sake of discussion, per gram of weight.

Info: My daily calorie goal is 4,000. I'm a 33 year old, healthy male, @ 5'10" and about 190 lbs right now. I do cardiovascular exercise 3 days a week and lift heavy (for me) 3 days per week. My "rest" day typically involves 20 minutes of cardio & activity with my toddler.

Resting Heart Rate: 58
    Total Cholesterol (as of a couple weeks ago): 93
    BP: 110/70

If you'd like to see any other health markers, just ask.

My typical ice cream, per serving (I tend to eat 4):

Calories 110
    Calories from Fat 25
    Total Fat 3(g)
    Saturated Fat 2(g)
    Trans Fat 0(g)
    Cholesterol 5(mg)
    Sodium 55(mg)
    Total Carbohydrates 18(g)
    Dietary Fiber 0(g)
    Sugars 13(g)
    Protein 3(g)
    Calcium 6% DV
    Vitamin A 4% DV

Typical Pop Tart (I tend to eat 2 at a time like most people):

Calories 200
    Calories from Fat 45
    Total Fat 5.0 g
    Saturated Fat 1.5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Sodium 170 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 35 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 14 g
    Protein 2.0 g
    Vitamin A 151 %
    Iron 2 %
    Niacin 2 %
    Folic Acid 40 %

Edited for typos.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I've found that I retain more water when I eat higher carb. So, while it doesn't effect my fat levels (assuming constant calories) I look better and feel better about the way I look when I don't eat them as much. Maybe when I've lost more fat, the carb bloating won't bother me and I'll not worry about being lower carb. But I think everyone should make the choices they want to make for themselves. Thus I think the "I eat ice cream and I'm awesome" crowd is roughly equivalent to the "I would never touch that processed bull**** crowd" Neither is better than the other, everyone is entitled to make their own choices.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Ice cream alone is fine.

This story took place ages ago when I was in college visiting home. It was a nice Saturday morning and the family was having a nice normal breakfast. Me being stuck in the college mentality decided to have ice cream and pop tarts. My mother had an off hand comment about it but she didn't object, she just recommended that I at least heat the Pop Tarts and not eat them cold like a stoned hippy. So I started enjoying my ice cream bowl while I waited for the Tarts. Down the stairs came running trouble in the shape of my younger brother. My mother motioned him to his plate filled with eggs, beef hash and French toast, but it was too late cause like a hawk locked onto his prey so were my brother's eyes on my ice cream bowl.

A faded smile gave him and his intentions away, granted he was slick to say he needed ketchup from the fridge to justify walking towards my end of the table. But I knew that he hates ketchup!

The confirming act of the incoming attack was him grabbing my sister's spoon. And it began with a direct attack towards the center of my bowl of ice cream but I was ready fready! I slapped it away as a second and third attempt were made but none were fruitful into getting him a taste of my ice cream. At this point it's a full on wrestling match over the ice cream, but my brother wouldn't give up even as I DeSpooned him and he had no way of getting the delicious ice cream. So, like every desperate man he wanted a taste for all the effort he put in, and like a savage he reached with his fingers into the bowl.

I called on to the U.N or mother to deal with such savage unconventional attack, a quick "leave the hippy alone" directed at my brother stopped the ice cream bowl attacks. But like any soar loser he was not happy with the outcome, fate seemed to change cause at that very moment he contemplating what to do, if to accept defeat or retaliate somehow, the Pop Tarts popped out.

To him that was a for sure win as he was closer to the toaster and I had no way of stopping him before he would take a bite or two. So I immediately resorted to a combination of diplomacy, empty threats of violence, and even asking the UN for help. None of it mattered cause he had the determination in his eyes, so all I could do is watch as my Pop Tarts fell into enemy hands.

With his ice cream covered hand he reached for the Pop Tarts. What happened next is what convinced me Pop Tarts & ice cream are a bad combo. My brother screeched as he went flying from the counter and landing next to me. I was very confused as what had happened but I figured out as I saw the black burn marks on his fingers from the electric shock.

I don't know if this convinces you or anyone else about Pop Tarts & ice cream being bad, but my brother still doesn't eat pop tarts today.

This, this just may have convinced me.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    This should be reason enough.

86tIald.jpg
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    This should be reason enough.

86tIald.jpg

See!! Carbs are evil!! :drinker:
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    My diet choices have come under a lot of scrutiny lately. Mostly my Pop tart and ice cream consumption. Please, convince me that I'm doing it wrong. Most of the people that have a problem with my diet say my food is nutrient deficient. In fact, I believe it's the unfounded fear of sugar that most people are taking exception.

My diary is open and I'm fairly consistent. Today is a good example of my typical day. The last few weeks I have been a bit more liberal with my diet as I'm coming up to a goal change at the end of the month. Go beyond that and you'll see major consistency (to the point of OCD almost). I advocate allowing yourself 20-25% of your daily caloric intake to consist of anything you want if you're able to hit your macro/micro nutrient needs & goals. For me, based on my intake goals, that's 800 -1000 calories, which I primarily have been allocating to sugar.

I would love to see how my surgary food is nutrient deficient as well, as I'm quite often told. Please show me in detail. Set me right. I log everything and their nutritional values are easily found online. For instance there's 14 g of sugar in one 200 cal Pop Tart. That leaves 144 calories of "other stuff". Is this other stuff air or is it fats/carbs/protein (even 10% of the RDA of 7 micro-nutrients) that are required nutrients?

I would prefer non-anecdotal evidence. As far as "empty calories" go, that's going to be a tough sell for me. A calorie is a unit of measurement and in order to have any caloric value there must be a certain amount of macro (even micro) nutrients present, we'll say for the sake of discussion, per gram of weight.

Info: My daily calorie goal is 4,000. I'm a 33 year old, healthy male, @ 5'10" and about 190 lbs right now. I do cardiovascular exercise 3 days a week and lift heavy (for me) 3 days per week. My "rest" day typically involves 20 minutes of cardio & activity with my toddler.

Resting Heart Rate: 58
    Total Cholesterol (as of a couple weeks ago): 93
    BP: 110/70

If you'd like to see any other health markers, just ask.

My typical ice cream, per serving (I tend to eat 4):

Calories 110
    Calories from Fat 25
    Total Fat 3(g)
    Saturated Fat 2(g)
    Trans Fat 0(g)
    Cholesterol 5(mg)
    Sodium 55(mg)
    Total Carbohydrates 18(g)
    Dietary Fiber 0(g)
    Sugars 13(g)
    Protein 3(g)
    Calcium 6% DV
    Vitamin A 4% DV

Typical Pop Tart (I tend to eat 2 at a time like most people):

Calories 200
    Calories from Fat 45
    Total Fat 5.0 g
    Saturated Fat 1.5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Sodium 170 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 35 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 14 g
    Protein 2.0 g
    Vitamin A 151 %
    Iron 2 %
    Niacin 2 %
    Folic Acid 40 %

Edited for typos.

Blah, blah, blah TL;DR

DUDE, pumpkin Pop tarts??? That has got to be one of the worst things I have ever heard of!
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Pop Tarts killed my brother, by dipping him in a barrel full of aspartame and red meat. He died instantly, because those two things are awful for you.

This is why you cannot eat pop tarts. Revenge must be mine.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're looking for here.

We're all grown ups here- and if I wanna eat pop tarts and ice cream every day for the rest of my life- it's my life. My body.

You're a big boy. Eat what you want. Just be sure to get your blood work done regularly- and I hope
    all the numbers that count stay in a healthy range for you.

Exactly!!!! :drinker:
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it if you are doing everything else right, right?
    I wish I could eat either. Actually, no, I don't really like pop tarts.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have been a bit more clear in my OP. The reason I asked these questions in this thread is: I really want to know when I offer weight loss advice is such exception taken with my diary and methods? To the point that some try to discredit the method entirely. When in fact the way I'm doing it works quite well.

On a personal level, I don't care what others think of my diet. I'm going to do it my way, which is working. That's not to say I haven't learned plenty from others on here. Quite the opposite in fact. I have found a great wealth of information here and a great group of like minded individuals with similar goals.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have been a bit more clear in my OP. The reason I asked these questions in this thread is: I really want to know when I offer weight loss advice is such exception taken with my diary and methods? To the point that some try to discredit the method entirely. When in fact the way I'm doing it works quite well.

On a personal level, I don't care what others think of my diet. I'm going to do it my way, which is working. That's not to say I haven't learned plenty from others on here. Quite the opposite in fact. I have found a great wealth of information here and a great group of like minded individuals with similar goals.

if you didn't care, you wouldn't have made a whole thread about it. :laugh:
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Ice cream alone is fine.

^^^
    This is exactly why
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

:huh: may the force be with you, go forth and advise brutha...
    note to self; disregard all advice pertaining to pop tarts & ice cream or any combination thereof .
    Ok, I'm good! thumbs up :drinker:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're "bad"-- I just think you have underdeveloped taste buds.

Pop Tarts are the most vile bits of ptre-packaged nastiness, and those same calories could be deliciously enjoyed in other wonderful ways with REAL pastry; and ice cream. . . well. . . . It's OK once a week or two, but as a major food group, it's just boring.:happy:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I wouldn't care how you eat as long as you accepted that not everyone can do it your way. I'm one of those people that just feels less physically well when I eat "junk" and also tends to have a hard time with sugar cravings for a few days. It's very often not worth it to me to go that route to include everything in moderation. For me, "moderation" means giving in to a serious craving and being willing to face the consequences (above). It's not an every day or even once a week deal. (It's not because I am depriving myself. I've lived in this body for decades, I know how it works.) Whether it's physical or psychological or both doesn't matter to me--it's just not worth it to me. If you were giving me weight loss advice and didn't try to insist on me eating more junk to avoid depriving myself, I wouldn't care what you do.

*I don't think I've ever checked someone's diary when they give me advice, though, so maybe if I were someone who did that, it may make a difference.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

if you didn't care, you wouldn't have made a whole thread about it. :laugh:

It's better to be a care free humble person like magerum than a know it all manhattanite who believes its his job to police the internet and goes reporting people if they disagree with him to much.

I guess I'm the next one on your report list.

Oh yea, almost forgot........Pop Tarts.

QFT! magerum rocks!! :drinker: