I believe that IIFYM is a cult

Options

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Not trolling just curious how people feel about the IIFYM crowd. Let's ensure the community doesn't allow subjective responses, so the topic as a hole doesn't become divided.

With love,
    Burt

Those IIFYMers are always knocking on my door with their literature... but I'm too busy eating ice cream to answer.
  • crw72209
    crw72209 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjcep9U0qQ1rdco3mo1_500.png

Im in!

Holy Schmokes!! ME TOO !
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

c: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Not trolling just curious how people feel about the IIFYM crowd. Let's ensure the community doesn't allow subjective responses, so the topic as a hole doesn't become divided.

If you are using myfitness pal then you are already, to some extent, following an IIFYM diet. You eat within your calorie and macro allowance.

That's why it is so hilarious when people poop the bed over the idea of IIFYM.

Then you have the fact that 95% of IIFYM criticism comes from people who don't even understand how it's applied.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    What is IIFYM?
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't think it fits the definition of a cult, but there is a connotation :)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The oldest living IIFYM'er is 89, the oldest living clean eater is 91, so lets wait for the verdict, shall we?

4f6452c1-3f3a-4c39-a340-a2ec2cb9b43c_zps46b8d8eb.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    bump to reply after I wipe the Lorna Doone's and whole milk off my face.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    And what is IIFYM in the first place?
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Is MFP a cult as well?
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It'd be the other way around....since clean eaters are fervent fanatics and lack any and all scientific backing. IIFYM'ers are just dedicated to stopping the spread of bro science....and eating lots of pop tarts and cheeseburgers.

I'm hoping that this is a humorous and slightly sarcastic oversimplification... just because you eat 'clean', whether it's 20% or 100% of the time, doesn't automatically make you a 'fervent fanatic'. And I'm pretty sure that eating a (mostly) clean diet has been scientifically backed.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Don't know what IIFYM is, but I totally read the letters to the beat of "Bad Romance". So what is it anyway?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    And what is IIFYM in the first place?

If it fits your macros.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    definition of "Cult" from Merriam Webster.

1: formal religious veneration : worship
    2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5: a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b: the object of such devotion

Adherents are very devoted to the idea that as long as you are getting enough protein, fat, and carbohydrates, but not too much, you are eating a sufficient diet. Also they argue against any opposition.

With love,
    Burt

I proposes that the phrase "not trolling" now replace the terms "no offence" and "just sayin' on the internets forever and ever. amen.

ETA: how the flip do people bold out parts of a quote?
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    can i ask what this is...

IIFYM crowd
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    The oldest living IIFYM'er is 89, the oldest living clean eater is 91, so lets wait for the verdict, shall we?

And the oldest living smoker died when she was 115.....
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

4f6452c1-3f3a-4c39-a340-a2ec2cb9b43c_zps46b8d8eb.jpg

I wonder which of them can run farther, lift heavier, and which has fewer conditions (high cholesterol, blood pressure, hypoglycemia, arthritis, etc). Health isn't purely skin-deep. Maybe that health guru just never applied lotion!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    If you are the leader... I will follow, Sire.

SILENCE; let us not frighten our neophyte adherents by allowing them too soon a glimpse into the higher order rites.
    Is MFP a cult as well?

Not at all . . .
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    Aww they locked the other thread...

Everything is a cult. I own three dogs...it's a cult. IIFYM is a cult. I go to church...I'm in a cult. Eh we're all screwed...might as well enjoy it while we can
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    tumblrmjj4mquyjm1qf0u3po1250_zps58065c7d.gif
    OMG! Cannot stop laughing!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    definition of "Cult" from Merriam Webster.

1: formal religious veneration : worship
    2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5: a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b: the object of such devotion

Adherents are very devoted to the idea that as long as you are getting enough protein, fat, and carbohydrates, but not too much, you are eating a sufficient diet. Also they argue against any opposition.

[bold]Not trolling[/bold] just curious how people feel about the IIFYM crowd. Let's ensure the community doesn't allow subjective responses, so the topic as a hole doesn't become divided.

With love,
    Burt

I proposes that the phrase "not trolling" now replace the terms "no offence" and "just sayin' on the internets forever and ever. amen.

ETA: how the flip do people bold out parts of a quote?

[ b ] before and [ /b ] after (take out the spaces)

Good post. No Homo.