FITNESS MYTHS and EXCUSES YOU CAN'T STAND!!!

Replies

• eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member

- Muscle is not built in a calorie deficit. I'm sorry, it is not. You are not a special snowflake. There might be some really minor gains when in a defict, but chances are, it is just water. Sorry. When your muscles firm up, that isn't a sign of building muscle, its just water. The water in muscles is not fat and hence is considered lean mass, however it is not metabolically active.

This is actually the myth. You sure as hell can build muscle while EATING a calorie deficit. The nice thing is, my body goes to fat to make up the deficit.

Skinny people can't build muscle while in a deficit. Fat people can.

Exactly. I'm eating a deficit, and right now I'm losing 2-4 lbs a week and my muscle is getting ripped. I'm so much stronger today than I was 2 months ago. At work, where I lift people all day long (as a nurse) even the clients can tell how much stronger I've gotten. So yes, fat people, extremely obese people like me, can build muscle while losing weight. Don't be a hater!

You are losing fat which is on top of the muscle... you are not actually building new muscle you are just seeing more of the muscle that was there. Seeing muscle and building strength do not equal more muscle mass. You are netting far too low to be actually building muscle... netting too low increases muscle LOSS.

You will not, outside of very small newbie gains, gain muscle while at a calorie deficit. Most will actually lose muscle while in a calorie deficit. It takes energy and calories to build muscle.

And the poster (Sullus) who said they gained 15lbs of muscle in like 16 months... where's the actual proof of that? Based on your eating for the past few months (according to your diary) there is no way you have built any muscle.. you actually have a better chance of losing it. You need a calorie surplus to build muscle... along with a lot more protein than you have been consuming lately and lifting heavy weights. Outside of newbie gains (which sure aren't just under 20lbs worth of muscle) you haven't built any. Sorry but no. Provided you are properly tracking your intake, you are not fueling your body enough to build muscle.. more so lose it.

I HAVE a calorie surplus. in my fat. You're not properly accounting for all caloric inputs into the process.

My "proof" is that when I started working with a trainer, through ultrasound and math, my lean body mass was calculated at 185lbs.

At my last assessment, it was calculated at 201lbs.

Your intake also needs to be much much higher along with your protein intake to build muscle. Simple as that. When you are eating at a calorie deficit your body will lose muscle mass. You can preserve it with a smaller deficit, protien and lifting heavy. Outside of newbie gains you will NOT build muscle while on a calorie deficit.

All calculations have errors. Lean body mass does not solely mean muscle. It includes everything within your body that is not fat. Just because there was an increase in lean body mass doesn't mean it was a muscle increase.

I don't think you understand what you are saying. You say that there's no way I'm actually building new muscle, and then you say that aside from newbie gains you don't build muscle. I'm a newbie, so what are yous saying? Did I or did I not build my newbie muscle? I can guarantee that muscle was not built before, and that I take a large percentage of protein in, and a fairly high amount of calories a day The muscles I've built are or are not being built? I'm a registered nurse and I could give you a basic run through on anatomy and physiology, and how muscles are built and function, but you be too stubborn to try to understand. Maybe stop and think about how bodies function, and can respond differently, and don't assume my deficit is so extreme, and we all function and respond to exercise and caloric intake in different ways. I know it seems extreme at those kind of losses, but it is happening right now. It wont last forever since I eat over 2500 a day. So to tell me that I'm absolutely not building muscle makes you sound like you have no clue what you are talking about.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150

- Muscle is not built in a calorie deficit. I'm sorry, it is not. You are not a special snowflake. There might be some really minor gains when in a defict, but chances are, it is just water. Sorry. When your muscles firm up, that isn't a sign of building muscle, its just water. The water in muscles is not fat and hence is considered lean mass, however it is not metabolically active.

This is actually the myth. You sure as hell can build muscle while EATING a calorie deficit. The nice thing is, my body goes to fat to make up the deficit.

Exactly. I'm eating a deficit, and right now I'm losing 2-4 lbs a week and my muscle is getting ripped. I'm so much stronger today than I was 2 months ago. At work, where I lift people all day long (as a nurse) even the clients can tell how much stronger I've gotten. So yes, fat people, extremely obese people like me, can build muscle while losing weight. Don't be a hater!

You are losing fat which is on top of the muscle... you are not actually building new muscle you are just seeing more of the muscle that was there. Seeing muscle and building strength do not equal more muscle mass. You are netting far too low to be actually building muscle... netting too low increases muscle LOSS.

You will not, outside of very small newbie gains, gain muscle while at a calorie deficit. Most will actually lose muscle while in a calorie deficit. It takes energy and calories to build muscle.

And the poster (Sullus) who said they gained 15lbs of muscle in like 16 months... where's the actual proof of that? Based on your eating for the past few months (according to your diary) there is no way you have built any muscle.. you actually have a better chance of losing it. You need a calorie surplus to build muscle... along with a lot more protein than you have been consuming lately and lifting heavy weights. Outside of newbie gains (which sure aren't just under 20lbs worth of muscle) you haven't built any. Sorry but no. Provided you are properly tracking your intake, you are not fueling your body enough to build muscle.. more so lose it.

I HAVE a calorie surplus. in my fat. You're not properly accounting for all caloric inputs into the process.

My "proof" is that when I started working with a trainer, through ultrasound and math, my lean body mass was calculated at 185lbs.

Your intake also needs to be much much higher along with your protein intake to build muscle. Simple as that. When you are eating at a calorie deficit your body will lose muscle mass. You can preserve it with a smaller deficit, protien and lifting heavy. Outside of newbie gains you will NOT build muscle while on a calorie deficit.

All calculations have errors. Lean body mass does not solely mean muscle. It includes everything within your body that is not fat. Just because there was an increase in lean body mass doesn't mean it was a muscle increase.

I don't think you understand what you are saying. You say that there's no way I'm actually building new muscle, and then you say that aside from newbie gains you don't build muscle. I'm a newbie, so what are yous saying? Did I or did I not build my newbie muscle? I can guarantee that muscle was not built before, and that I take a large percentage of protein in, and a fairly high amount of calories a day The muscles I've built are or are not being built? I'm a registered nurse and I could give you a basic run through on anatomy and physiology, and how muscles are built and function, but you be too stubborn to try to understand. Maybe stop and think about how bodies function, and can respond differently, and don't assume my deficit is so extreme, and we all function and respond to exercise and caloric intake in different ways. I know it seems extreme at those kind of losses, but it is happening right now. It wont last forever since I eat over 2500 a day. So to tell me that I'm absolutely not building muscle makes you sound like you have no clue what you are talking about.

Yes, you can't build muscle outside of newbie gains... which is maybe a lb or two at most.

Now that you have taken you diary off public and made it private I can't point out specific examples of how low you are consuming. There were days your net calories were close to zero. Your protein was low. There was never one day where your total calories consumed were over 2500 so if you actually are eating enough you don't log it.

You will not, outside of those very small newbie gains I mentioned, gain any real amount of muscle. Gaining strength does not mean muscle increase. Seeing muscle just means you are losing the layer of fat on top of the muscle. Far too often people mistake increased strength and seeing muscle to mean that they have actually built new muscle. With conditions right (calorie surplus, lots of protein, and heavy lifting) a woman can gain maybe 10lbs of muscle in a year.

I assumed nothing about your deficit. It was there before you made your diary private. Over 1000 calories burned through exercise some days... with maybe 1200-1600 worth of calories consumed. Large amounts of exercise entered and not the 2500 calories worth of food you mentioned.
  • thisisme13

So, it is impossible to reduce body fat while building muscle. It is also impossible to keep muscle mass while reducing body fat. They have to be done at separate times. thanks for the tip.

You can retain muscle mass in the process of losing fat. You eat enough, lift heavy and consume enough protein. Normally while building muscle you increase body fat slightly due to the increase of calories.. that's why most people trying to build muscle do bulk and cut cycles.
  • eowynmn
    And even with 2500, my burn ends up being 4000+ every day, so yeah I lose a lot but I'm not going to shove 2 lbs a chicken breast into myself just because some calculator tells me to. If I'm full, I'm full.
  • thisisme13

Yes, you can't build muscle outside of newbie gains... which is maybe a lb or two at most.

Now that you have taken you diary off public and made it private I can't point out specific examples of how low you are consuming. There were days your net calories were close to zero. Your protein was low. There was never one day where your total calories consumed were over 2500 so if you actually are eating enough you don't log it.

You will not, outside of those very small newbie gains I mentioned, gain any real amount of muscle. Gaining strength does not mean muscle increase. Seeing muscle just means you are losing the layer of fat on top of the muscle. Far too often people mistake increased strength and seeing muscle to mean that they have actually built new muscle. With conditions right (calorie surplus, lots of protein, and heavy lifting) a woman can gain maybe 10lbs of muscle in a year.

I assumed nothing about your deficit. It was there before you made your diary private. Over 1000 calories burned through exercise some days... with maybe 1200-1600 worth of calories consumed. Large amounts of exercise entered and not the 2500 calories worth of food you mentioned.

I knew you were going to quote my diary because you seem like the kind of psycho who would do that. - I track mostly on bmf and use mfp to look things up and copy them over, but if I didn't eat 2500 I'd be starving and wouldn't be successful. on rest days it might be 20-22, but not much lower.
    [/quote

Wow.. attacking someone speaks very loudly of the type of person you can be.

This will be my last post to you because I fail to see the point to waste my time speaking to someone with character like yours. I never once responded with attacks or name calling so don't respond that way to others.
  • eowynmn

Wow.. attacking someone speaks very loudly of the type of person you can be.

This will be my last post to you because I fail to see the point to waste my time speaking to someone with character like yours. I never once responded with attacks or name calling so don't respond that way to others.

Well thank goodness, cause I gotta get to a cardio strike class where I won't be building any muscle.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    My favorite myth is: going to the gym still counts if you dont post it on facebook. that's just silly. of course it doesnt count.

but you have to post a picture... if there are no pictures, then it didn't happen
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    I have a good friend who is really overweight and her health is starting to suffer. Everything I suggested to her about losing weight she had an excuse for. I told her well why don't you just start out by walking slowly. Oh I can't walk my knees hurt and I smoke so it hurts my lungs when I have to breathe hard. So I said ok just try to start cutting back on your food intake and you can start exercising after you lose a little weight. Her excuse for that was she loves sweets too much and does not think she will ever be able to give them up. I told her well then try eating some fruit in place of your sweets that way you can satisfy your sweet tooth. Her excuse for that was she doesn't like the texture of fruit. I said well try it in a smoothie, then her excuse for that was she doesn't like to drink things she would rather eat it. I said well then at least you could try to cut back on smoking. Then she said the reason she doesn't quit smoking is because she will gain even more weight because it would make her want to eat more in place of the smoking. I give up at this point. What I wanted to tell her is that is she really wanted to do something she would make it happen if not she would find an excuse. She is full of excuses.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    I have a good friend who is really overweight and her health is starting to suffer. Everything I suggested to her about losing weight she had an excuse for. I told her well why don't you just start out by walking slowly. Oh I can't walk my knees hurt and I smoke so it hurts my lungs when I have to breathe hard. So I said ok just try to start cutting back on your food intake and you can start exercising after you lose a little weight. Her excuse for that was she loves sweets too much and does not think she will ever be able to give them up. I told her well then try eating some fruit in place of your sweets that way you can satisfy your sweet tooth. Her excuse for that was she doesn't like the texture of fruit. I said well try it in a smoothie, then her excuse for that was she doesn't like to drink things she would rather eat it. I said well then at least you could try to cut back on smoking. Then she said the reason she doesn't quit smoking is because she will gain even more weight because it would make her want to eat more in place of the smoking. I give up at this point. What I wanted to tell her is that is she really wanted to do something she would make it happen if not she would find an excuse. She is full of excuses.

Talk about every excuse in the book!!! Wow!! Guess she'll start to learn when her health gets so bad they tell her she has no other option. So sad!!
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    It was baffling to me. I have never heard so many excuses in my life. It was kind of sad.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member

ETA: As far as the excuses/myths, they exist because people need to believe they are true. A person has to be truly ready to make a lifestyle change, whether it be quitting smoking, getting healthier, etc. Until they get to that point, they will make excuses. Instead of blasting them for their excuses, how about realizing that they just aren't ready to change, and no amount of belittling or pushing will change their minds.

Yes! This is it exactly! I was extremely fit in my 20s, but having a series of miscarriages and then having three kids in less than three years really left me very overweight and out of shape. That may sound like excuses to some of you, but stress and emotional turmoil take a lot out of a person, and if you don't prioritize yourself, well, they can just keep taking. And they did. Then, of course, I had three kids under the age of three. That was a very busy time in my life, and my husband was working 12-16 hour days, and I literally had no time to myself. I could have ditched housework to exercise, but I didn't. I could have shipped my kids off to a babysitter, but I didn't. That's because of my priorities.

As my kids got older, I was still busy. I was working full-time (I'm self-employed) and home schooling. You want to talk busy? I was (and am) busy. My husband still works 12 hour days. Finally, though, I realized that *I* needed to make myself a priority. *I* needed to change for *me*. Once I made myself a priority, it became a lot easier to get that hour or so of exercise in everyday, and wow, do I feel good about myself. I'm still fat, but hey, I didn't gain weight overnight, and I'm sure as heck not going to lose it overnight.

You might all see those as excuses, but you see, I don't owe you excuses. I wasn't a priority in my own life. Now I am. It's really, truly just as simple as that. And once your friends, acquaintances or family members make themselves a priority, you're only going to hear "excuses." Maybe instead of judging you could try supporting them and letting them know how worthy they really are of being a priority.

explaining how you got to where you are today is different than excusing it.

The thing is, I don't HAVE to excuse it. No one owes an explanation for their fitness/dietary choices to anyone but their doctor; therefore, they don't have to make excuses. They may feel like they need to, but that doesn't mean they owe it. I can guarantee 5 years ago when I had three kids between 2 and 5 that I'd have laughed at one of you telling me I should be working out an hour or two a day. I truly didn't have the inclination to carve out that time -- what would I have skipped? Child care? House cleaning? My work? No. None of those things were things I could just gloss over and ignore just so I could "look good." It wasn't until I realized I needed to get in shape to also *feel* good about myself that it became a priority -- well, that and the fact that my kids are now 7 - 10 years old and I really do have a little more independent time.

What I'm mostly trying to say is that instead of judging people, take a step back, empathize with them (and I mean truly empathize that not everyone is at the same place in life) and then either help them find solutions and realize that they really are worth that extra effort, or just walk away.

Great points! My kids are 11, 13, 16, and 18. FInding time is difficult. You need a supportive husband. For 10 years, I have gotten up at 4:45am to walk 3 miles with my best friend. Is it therapy or exercise? BOTH! For the past 3 years, I have been working with a PT. That's where the supportive hubby comes in. It is hard. I tried ot go in the mornings but I was late getting kids up or late for work. Hubby leaves house before 6. I prefer morning exercise but I can only go evenings. I go 2x a week to strength train. My 2 youngest go with me and also work out. Saturdays, I am up early to work with trainer while every one else sleeps. COme hoem to clean and do laundry. Hubby bought me an elliptical so I can do cardio at home. It is difficult and it takes constant planning. If i know I have a school function in the evening, I find a way to work out in the morning. on rest days, I try to eat lighter.

I am a work in progress and so is my schedule. You have to realize that and take the time to plan around that. Biggest benefit - my kids don't remeber a time Iw asn't active and seeking better health. My choices affect their choices. They all eat veggies and drink lots of water. They would rather go to the gym than watch TV. We go on bike rides and walks.

I grew up on a couch, watching TV while I ate dinner. My kids have NEVER done that. We eat as a family every night and every Sunday morning before church. I chose to raise them differently. I can see the benefits. Easy? No. Worth it? You bet!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Lifting heavy will make you bulky

Overtraining

Walking and walking only will eliminate fat

Exercise is too hard

Fat is genetic

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :explode:
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    To whomever posted the "naked x-rays", that is a great visual! And totally disproves the "big boned" theory.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Wow... people really hate how overtraining is a myth?

And what are stress fractures? I've got a broken foot, with MRIs to prove the break, due to some stupidity that is pretty much the definition of "overtraining". Are people talking about something other than changing too fast, pushing too hard, doing too much, and allowing for too little recovery to the point of injury?

I mean using overtraining as an excuse to go look good at the gym two days a week, or as an excuse to keep the treadmill at a crawl for 10 minutes, sure. That's not overtraining. But that doesn't mean "overtraining" doesn't exist. It does. And it hurts.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    My dad's perpetual excuse for his long term obesity, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and general poor health is my least favorite:

"I just don't have the will power."

It's a decision. Every day, you either make the decision, or not. Either way, you own the consequences. "Willpower" is a red herring.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113

And what are stress fractures? I've got a broken foot, with MRIs to prove the break, due to some stupidity that is pretty much the definition of "overtraining". Are people talking about something other than changing too fast, pushing too hard, doing too much, and allowing for too little recovery to the point of injury?

I mean using overtraining as an excuse to go look good at the gym two days a week, or as an excuse to keep the treadmill at a crawl for 10 minutes, sure. That's not overtraining. But that doesn't mean "overtraining" doesn't exist. It does. And it hurts.

Id question how one stress fractures as a result of overtraining. The overtraining people refer to is the fatigue of the CNS and muscles to the point where someone would develop physcological side effects.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Drink more milk
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    To whomever posted the "naked x-rays", that is a great visual! And totally disproves the "big boned" theory.

Hmm, I'm not sure and n of 2 can "disprove" anything.

Certainly some people have bigger bones than others. That's why they are taller, have wider shoulders or hips, longer limbs. And some bones are denser than others. But even healthy dense bones don't really weigh all that much. And they don't look like fat. No one is overweight because of their bones.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member

Certainly some people have bigger bones than others. That's why they are taller, have wider shoulders or hips, longer limbs. And some bones are denser than others. But even healthy dense bones don't really weigh all that much. And they don't look like fat. No one is overweight because of their bones.

That doesn't make sense either. People totally weigh more because of their bones. Frame size isn't a myth.

My bones are much longer than most women's bones. I have a 33" inseam, which is longer than an average man's inseam, last I checked. I'm over 5 inches taller than the average american woman. My arms are longer, my hips are wider.

And my "ideal weight" is 25 pounds higher. Because I need *somethign* to cover those bones. My muscles need to be longer and larger.

Differences in pelvic width, rib cage diamter, length of arm and leg -- all are going to affect someone's weight, just becuase the increased *space* for "filling" like muscles, internal organs -- and fat -- is going to get filled with something.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

That doesn't make sense either. People totally weigh more because of their bones. Frame size isn't a myth.

My bones are much longer than most women's bones. I have a 33" inseam, which is longer than an average man's inseam, last I checked. I'm over 5 inches taller than the average american woman. My arms are longer, my hips are wider.

And my "ideal weight" is 25 pounds higher. Because I need *somethign* to cover those bones. My muscles need to be longer and larger.

Differences in pelvic width, rib cage diamter, length of arm and leg -- all are going to affect someone's weight, just becuase the increased *space* for "filling" like muscles, internal organs -- and fat -- is going to get filled with something.

Please re-read the post. I didn't say people don't weigh more because of their bones.