How young is too young?

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what others think? She's 17, she gave you her number, she's clearly interested and it's not like you are an old man at 29.

Thank you so much. I really should just learn to listen to my own intuition. I guess I just wanted some feedback.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yes, age is a number, but there are huge differences in maturity (even if she seems mature for her age, you never can truly test maturity in all ways until you are very close to the person). I'm almost 21 but I wouldn't date either a 17 year old or a 29 year old. I have changed how I think (problem solving, personal maturity, personality in general) SO much in the past four years that I know it's not feasible to be completely and entirely on the same page with someone with very different life experiences. It's not an even playing field for either the younger or the older partner in those situations, each has distinct advantages, and that could cause issues.
    So basically, age is a number, unless you're under 25 or so (rough boundary line). Because technically neurologically, your brain is still developing a lot then.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I'm genuinely curious to know what you found you have in common with her after talking with her in the gym. Does she even squat?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

bro, do you even math?

bro!?

do you english!?

nope. English is my 4th language actually. Nice try though. Also, since you decided to mock me like this, Its English.

Also, bro, do you even internet?

sorry, forgot the sarcasm font in my previous post.... thats obviously why you didnt get it!

Yes, clearly a master at sarcasm, Maths and English. Are you Bruce Banner?

i dont even know what that means!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what others think? She's 17, she gave you her number, she's clearly interested and it's not like you are an old man at 29.

Thank you so much. I really should just learn to listen to my own intuition. I guess I just wanted some feedback.

No, you didn't. You wanted people to justify and validate this. I notice you've totally ignored several posters who aren't saying things that you want to hear, or that offend you somehow. You're going to do this regardless of what we think. So why ask?

For the record, it's not right.
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sorry to sound harsh, but think about what she's gonna be doing next with her life. She's just left school, might be in college, will probably go to uni anywhere in the country, or go travelling, like most teenagers/young adults. She's just about to get into the party lifestyle and meet lots of new people. I agree that 17 and 29 are worlds apart, if she was in her 20s that would be a different matter, but she's barely left school, not old enough to drink in the UK, may have started to learn to drive or may not, and is about to start the next step in her life. I don't think age difference is a problem normally, but it's where she is in her life that might end up being a problem.

But at the end of the day, it's up to you and doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    I'm genuinely curious to know what you found you have in common with her after talking with her in the gym. Does she even squat?

She sticks to cardio mostly.

I think I could convince her to start lifting heavy though.
  • thefitfriend
    thefitfriend Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    age is just a number, it's fine, go for it, it's not even anything serious yet so dont worry about it! she's legal, just be careful, you'll get judged a lot, trust me, i know ;)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
  • Sharkington
    Options

She sticks to cardio mostly.

I think I could convince her to start lifting heavy though.

Lol, you are so just trolling with this thread, i know it.
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Shes pretty much an adult. If your both happy go for it. Age don't mean jack.

Thank you.

THis is what I was thinking.

I mean when she's 30 and I'm 45 is it really going to matter?
    probably not but when she is 45 and you are 75 it probably will
  • taunto
    Options
  • Cr01502
    Options

No, you didn't. You wanted people to justify and validate this. I notice you've totally ignored several posters who aren't saying things that you want to hear, or that offend you somehow. You're going to do this regardless of what we think. So why ask?

I'm just looking for supportive feedback but alot of people keep calling me a creep.

In UK it's completely ok to date a 17 year old I quess I'm just curious as to why people find that creepy.

I don't particularly find other men attractive but I wouldn't call someone who is a homosexual a creep.
  • AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 years old and the other day I met this girl at the gym. We really hit it off! I asked her out for a cup of coffee and she told me she was only 17 years old! She still gave me her number though. Over here in the UK it's ok to date anyone over the age of 16 so I was wondering if it's ok if I call her?

I met a 26 years old man when I was only 15 and we were together for 7 years. Those were the worst years of my life. Of course there's exceptions but in my opinion those relationships are rarely good. Do what you feel is right but I'm warning you that in my opinion it would be better for both you and her to find someone closer your age.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Lol, you are so just trolling with this thread, i know it.

Hmm that works too. I saw it more of a thinly veiled "I'm boffing a 17 year old girl" brag topic. Like the OP's really gonna date this girl. Let's get real people.
  • Sharkington
    Options

bro, do you even math?

bro!?

do you english!?

nope. English is my 4th language actually. Nice try though. Also, since you decided to mock me like this, Its English.

Also, bro, do you even internet?

sorry, forgot the sarcasm font in my previous post.... thats obviously why you didnt get it!

Yes, clearly a master at sarcasm, Maths and English. Are you Bruce Banner?

i dont even know what that means!

Bruce Banner AKA The Hulk is a Marvel character who is good at maths, but i guess he is good at English, too, when he isn't The Hulk. :)
  • taunto
    Options
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i'm a big believer of if you have to ask the question you already know the answer in situations like this.

it could work out, you're not breaking any laws, but you're going to want different things out of life and are going to face a lot of opposition.

personally why not just get to know her at the gym, and be a friend first so you actually get to know each each and then see where things take you
  • Cr01502
    Options
    i'm a big believer of if you have to ask the question you already know the answer in situations like this.

it could work out, you're not breaking any laws, but you're going to want different things out of life and are going to face a lot of opposition.

personally why not just get to know her at the gym, and be a friend first so you actually get to know each each and then see where things take you

I guess I just like coffee better,
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

I'm just looking for supportive feedback but alot of people keep calling me a creep.

In UK it's completely ok to date a 17 year old I quess I'm just curious as to why people find that creepy.

I don't particularly find other men attractive but I wouldn't call someone who is a homosexual a creep.

Just ignore that bully. She's trying to bully you pretending that she's a caring teacher (yeah, right. On internet everyone is a teacher)

:laugh:

yeah. okay.