How young is too young?

Options

Replies

• Lieann22
    Lieann22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm from Asia. We have a strict policy of old enough to bleed, old enough to breed

That is seriously disgusting and I am reporting it for obvious reasons.
    Creep.

I'm sorry but do you live here? Are you aware of our culture? In many religions here, after the first period a girl is considered of age to be married.

Just because you don't know the old cultures or don't agree with them doesn't make them disgusting. Your ignorance makes me disgusted. Feel free to reply with where you come from and I can point out what I find disgusting about the culture YOU have

PS. Reporting YOUR post for attacking an entire culture, religion and me. Also because you're too ignorant to be on a decent support forum.

Peace

The person who replied to your comment was disgusted by how you worded it. It's nothing about difference in culture.

I worded it because this is pretty much the translation of how its said here. Like I said, after the first period, a girl is considered an adult and can get married. And here marriage is pretty much another word for breeding.

I don't think she's offended with my wording. If she is, well then I was in the wrong. However, its still ignorant of her part to assume things without knowing other cultures
    i know a girl who started her periods at 9y/o.

in countries where childbirth in underdeveloped girls is common, so is death in childbirth and fistula. just because something is common to a culture, doesn't make it moral and decent. it is not ignorant to want girls to be allowed to develop fully before they are forced to live as adults. it is not ignorant to want to prevent the deaths of both mothers and infants. it IS ignorant to ignore medical science, the welfare of women and morality in favour of ''culture''.

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!

understand you have a different culture.....look around the world.....some cultures are right and some are just plain WRONG!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!

understand you have a different culture.....look around the world.....some cultures are right and some are just plain WRONG!!

Please stop attacking a culture that you have no knowledge of. I have lived in west for a good part of my life and I can attack that too but I am trying to be a decent human being and show some respect to others, unlike what most here have shown me.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    There's legal and then there's right and wrong. The fact that u're on here asking about it shows that u're uncomfortable. Here in the USA u're talkingvto jailbait. Jailbait or not....how bout u let the kid grow up a little b/c at the end of the day she's a kid.

I'm pretty sure the whole POINT of legal and illegal is to decide what's right and wrong!
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Call her in 3 years.
  • taunto
    Options
    There's legal and then there's right and wrong. The fact that u're on here asking about it shows that u're uncomfortable. Here in the USA u're talkingvto jailbait. Jailbait or not....how bout u let the kid grow up a little b/c at the end of the day she's a kid.

So at midnight on the 18th birthday a kid magically turns into an adult?
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Call her in 3 years.

But then I'll be 32 and she'll be 21.

Still the same age difference.
  • Heather4nne
    Heather4nne Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm from Asia. We have a strict policy of old enough to bleed, old enough to breed

Creep.

I'm sorry but do you live here? Are you aware of our culture? In many religions here, after the first period a girl is considered of age to be married.

Just because you don't know the old cultures or don't agree with them doesn't make them disgusting. Your ignorance makes me disgusted. Feel free to reply with where you come from and I can point out what I find disgusting about the culture YOU have

PS. Reporting YOUR post for attacking an entire culture, religion and me. Also because you're too ignorant to be on a decent support forum.

Peace

The person who replied to your comment was disgusted by how you worded it. It's nothing about difference in culture.

I worded it because this is pretty much the translation of how its said here. Like I said, after the first period, a girl is considered an adult and can get married. And here marriage is pretty much another word for breeding.

I don't think she's offended with my wording. If she is, well then I was in the wrong. However, its still ignorant of her part to assume things without knowing other cultures
    i know a girl who started her periods at 9y/o.

in countries where childbirth in underdeveloped girls is common, so is death in childbirth and fistula. just because something is common to a culture, doesn't make it moral and decent. it is not ignorant to want girls to be allowed to develop fully before they are forced to live as adults. it is not ignorant to want to prevent the deaths of both mothers and infants. it IS ignorant to ignore medical science, the welfare of women and morality in favour of ''culture''.

Hear hear!

As for the original question, honestly, just looking at your own sake, I'd say hold off on this one. You may have hit it off really well, just keep in mind that that doesn't mean she's "the one". Where there are so many factors set against you because of the age gap, it has the potential to really put a strain on the relationship. As much as I'd like to say her parents would be fine with it if they agreed you were a good match for her, they aren't always rational when it comes to daughters.

Imo, relationships (especially the first few "honeymoon phase" months) should be nothing but happy. Something like an age gap runs the risk of taking the focus off what chemistry you two do have, and makes it more about convincing other people that you're right for eachother. Not trying to push you one way or the other; it's just another thing to consider. Best of luck!
  • chetnabhatt
    Options
    QUOTE:

QUOTE:

QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Creep.

Peace

well I am also an asian and know our culture and religion very well. Yeah in older times first bleeding was considered as a sign of maturity and thus an indication for marriage or breeding as you say..but friend, that was the time when people had a different lifestyle with much better eating habits..so girls usually had their first flow in their late teens and were ready to enter a relationship. Hence the saying 'old enough to bleed, old enough to breed'. But do we live in the same era ?? No. If we take today's scenario girls start bleeding before entering their teens..infact before eleven in many cases which makes the 'statement' irrelevant with time and needs to be updated.
  • Lieann22
    Lieann22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!

Please stop attacking a culture that you have no knowledge of. I have lived in west for a good part of my life and I can attack that too but I am trying to be a decent human being and show some respect to others, unlike what most here have shown me.

Please do not assume I have no knowledge of cultures......and I am certainly free to have my opinion. If it offends you .... sorry, but yours certainly offended me....and a fair few others.

Think this part of the discussion should end and just go back to the original post question now.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    You going to take her to the Prom?
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    lol yeah let me ignore thousands of years of wisdom and culture in the name of science that is what? 50 years old?

Need I remind you that not too long ago, doctors caused more fatalities at the time of child birth compared to the old ladies who'd deliver? Wheres your science then?

Or how about, you keep your nose out of my culture and keep whatever fad you got going on to your own country huh?
    i would add that, attitudes like yours are mostly common in the lower classes of most of the cultures you speak of. the higher classes, those who are educated, tending towards marrying later.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Honestly OP, you've heard mostly negative and a few positive responses to your question. That's really all this is going to boil down to. This is ultimately up to you to decide, whether to pursue a relationship or not.

Someone posted this in another thread, which is kinda relevant to the topic.

halfageplusseven.png
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Americans won't support this they have an obsession with the number 18.

Obsession? I'm pretty sure a couple people on here from the UK commented on how they didn't approve of the age gap either.

Well, in America this is one way such a thing is dealt with:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/01/james-hooker-california-h_n_1313538.html

He was her teacher as in an authority figure, so that is messed up on different levels.

What I'm saying in the US people magically become super responsible between 17 years 364 days and 18 years.

If I had an 18 year old daughter nd a 29 year old called, I would consider him a creeper, also.
  • taunto
    Options

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do not assume I have no knowledge of cultures......and I am certainly free to have my opinion. If it offends you .... sorry, but yours certainly offended me....and a fair few others.

Think this part of the discussion should end and just go back to the original post question now.

From what I have read from you so far, you have done nothing but bash my culture and shown hate and intolerance towards a culture that isn't yours. And yeah, of course you know about my culture. mmhmm. Totally believeable.
  • taunto
    Options
    lol yeah let me ignore thousands of years of wisdom and culture in the name of science that is what? 50 years old?

Need I remind you that not too long ago, doctors caused more fatalities at the time of child birth compared to the old ladies who'd deliver? Wheres your science then?

Or how about, you keep your nose out of my culture and keep whatever fad you got going on to your own country huh?
    i would add that, attitudes like yours are mostly common in the lower classes of most of the cultures you speak of. the higher classes, those who are educated, tending towards marrying later.

wow, thank you for calling me low class...

Thats really classy of you
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    if its legal. have at it
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you're asking then you're already going to have age issues.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    For me its too big a difference. I'm not sure what a 29 year old has in relation to a 17 year old.

That said, once you hit towards the mid 20's a 10-15 year gap to me isn't that strange, if thats the right word, but at 17 to me, she's still just a girl and not yet a young woman/lady.

You, sir, are a gentleman.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Honestly OP, you've heard mostly negative and a few positive responses to your question. That's really all this is going to boil down to. This is ultimately up to you to decide, whether to pursue a relationship or not.

Someone posted this in another thread, which is kinda relevant to the topic.

halfageplusseven.png

And who made this rule?

Who is this person to decide who I should and shouldn't date?

It's an interesting chart but not exactly something that I'd take life advice from.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think I am genuinely trying to do the right thing.

Who is society to say who we can and can't love.

I mean a few years ago gay marraige was out of the question.

Now look!

For one thing, you are absolutely NOT trying to do "the right thing". You have ignored or chastised everyone who has voiced any concern or objection to this, despite having asked for people's opinions, and have only accepted those who support what you want to do in the first place. And for another thing, you have some freaking nerve, essentially stating that "if gay marriage is ok, then anything goes!" You're a real winner. A real prize for any naive, thinks-she's-grown-up-but-can't-even-drink-or-vote-yet little girl. I'm going to stop there before I really lose my temper.