Should women powerlift/ Lift heavy weights?

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Oh dear... ;) get back in the kitchens little ladies...

Obviously thats not what I mean't but ok.

Then please explain what you meant.

Doubt you would understand it love :/

Try us.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest, how do you begin to start lifting heavy? or general strength training?

I'd go to this group and join.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/discussion/10118-eat-train-progress

There are a lot of good programs. Most people here recommend Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've heard the last one is kinda complicated. I started out just doing my husband's program but I'm about to start stronglifts. Here's the group for it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym this morning and there were a few women milling around the weight rooms and lifting pretty heavy weights.

I just wondered what people thought of women doing this? Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

I only say this as I think some women try and "prove" they can lift heavy and end up with injuries etc.

Whats your thoughts?

5055032357_69d1d1be72_z.jpg

For sure. Because if it's not a troll, it's ignorant as hell. :laugh: I lift heavy and I haven't hurt my delicate self yet...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest, how do you begin to start lifting heavy? or general strength training?

There are a lot of good programs. Most people here recommend Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've heard the last one is kinda complicated. I started out just doing my husband's program but I'm about to start stronglifts. Here's the group for it:

Damn it. She stole my answer.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options

Thanks, quite a few people have suggested that book to me now.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Damn it. She stole my answer.

I'm quick like a fox, despite lifting heavy. :laugh:
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    TROLOLOLOLOL
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym this morning and there were a few women milling around the weight rooms and lifting pretty heavy weights.

I just wondered what people thought of women doing this? Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

I only say this as I think some women try and "prove" they can lift heavy and end up with injuries etc.

Whats your thoughts?

My thoughts...lolwut
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    They were seriously trying to lift heavy?!? What were they thinking?!?
    I know my place... I stick with the pink barbells!
  • kerri007
    kerri007 Posts: 123
    Options
    oh i luv all the smart *kitten* comment. and i say **** that ****!!! allowed? pffft. i love lifting heavy and am on a powerlifting team. and yes i do get a kick out of when im at the gym and im the only 5 ft chick whos on the floor, all the other ones are on the treadmill thingys and girls only area. lift heavy lift strong and ****in crush it!!! no little ****ing pink girly dumbells here, pass the 30's pls <3<3 and get the hell outta my way
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    31805130_4048_zps7864a36c.jpg
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You would have had more successful trolling without the "allowed." That tipped it from questionable to highly suspicious at best.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    You don't know me I do what I want.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Good question! I've been powerlifting for 30 years, and it does have its drawbacks. Aside from the lean physique and loads of energy, I can haul bags of mulch without breaking a sweat. And carry your sorry *kitten* out of a burning building. I keep tripping over my burka, though, so that sucks.

I'm starting to think about quitting though, since my uterus fell out and I grew testicles. And a beard.

True story, bro.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Whats your thoughts?

Even I can see what's wrong with this!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

Whats your thoughts?

PLEASE go lift some weights. It could improve blood flow to your brain.

:huh:
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Allowed to lift heavy!? Please. I am pretty sure the only thing being hurt is men's prides when they realize a female can out lift them. I will allow you to be ignorant if you allow me to lift heavy and have breasts.

ps. you might want to invest in a dictionary. Or use Google.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend doesn't know I lift. He doesn't even know I use this site - he thinks all the time I spend on here I'm actually on goodhousekeeping.com.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

PLEASE go lift some weights. It could improve blood flow to your brain.

:huh:

Would this explain why I always forget which locker is mine on the days I only do cardio and have no problem on strength days?

Or did I just prove why women shouldn't be allowed or encouraged to have thoughts?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

Whats your thoughts?

This is a joke, right?

ha ha - troll!

^^^^
This discussion has been closed.