Shakeology Vrs Slim fast?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    but you pretty much get what you pay for :)

explains why the shakeology samples are free
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    does your vitamin contain maca, yakon root, himalayan sea salt, probiotics, antioxidants, luo han guo, sasha inchi, etc, etc, etc?

you don't have to use shakeology, you don't NEED it, yeah it's expensive, but that doesn't mean you can get the same things from a normal multivitamin or protein powder.

just because you don't want to use it, doesn't make it a bad product. guys - I don't even use the damn thing because I can't afford it either, but if I could, I'd still be using it.

Most of those things aren't "nutrients." The only one that actually is is "antioxidants" which is a huge class of chemicals with questionable effects in the body.

No one said it's a bad product. It's extremely expensive, uses a predatory marketing method, and provides nothing much that other products don't. That's the whole point. It sounds so awesome because you have a few granules of about 40 different "all natural" fruits and plants in it, but in the end for $4 a scoop it doesn't do anything special for you.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    does your vitamin contain maca, yakon root, himalayan sea salt, probiotics, antioxidants, luo han guo, sasha inchi, etc, etc, etc?

you don't have to use shakeology, you don't NEED it, yeah it's expensive, but that doesn't mean you can get the same things from a normal multivitamin or protein powder.

just because you don't want to use it, doesn't make it a bad product. guys - I don't even use the damn thing because I can't afford it either, but if I could, I'd still be using it.

Most of those things aren't "nutrients." The only one that actually is is "antioxidants" which is a huge class of chemicals with questionable effects in the body.

No one said it's a bad product. It's extremely expensive, uses a predatory marketing method, and provides nothing much that other products don't. That's the whole point. It sounds so awesome because you have a few granules of about 40 different "all natural" fruits and plants in it, but in the end for $4 a scoop it doesn't do anything special for you.

can you prove that? because it definitely helped me, and has helped a number of people i know with a myriad of things. for example, my digestion was greatly improved while drinking it. I've since managed to figure out how to do it with whole foods, taking a probiotic and drinking kefir - but instead of those things you can just drink shakeology.

until you try it, you can't say for certain it doesn't do anything for you.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Until you try heroin, you can't say it does bad things for you.

See how silly that is? Personal experience is anecdotal and meaningless when it comes to health.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

See how silly that is? Personal experience is anecdotal and meaningless when it comes to health.

do you listen to yourself sometimes? that makes absolutely no sense.
  • jonnythan
    Options

The plural of anecdote is not data.

"This product I'm selling did amazing thing x for me!" is not evidence.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

you said "it doesn't do anything special for you"

prove it, since you're all about evidence.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Prove that it does do something special. It's not anyone's job to "prove" that some MLM magic supplement doesn't do anything amazing.

If you want anyone to believe this is some magic superfood, then tell us about how the few grains of brazilian organic free-range grass-fed coconut husk is going to have any measurable impact on their health.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Prove that it does do something special. It's not anyone's job to "prove" that some MLM magic supplement doesn't do anything amazing.

If you want anyone to believe this is some magic superfood, then tell us about how the few grains of brazilian organic free-range grass-fed coconut husk is going to have any measurable impact on their health.

you want to prove to me that probiotics aid in digestion?

how 'bout Yacon:

The intake of FOS (yacon), however, led to a significant reduction of the proinflammatory cytokine IL-1β in macrophage cultures and elevation of the levels of fecal IgA. Together, these results indicate that the daily consumption of yacon does not exert negative effects on the immune system, helps to preserve an anti-inflammatory state in phagocytic cells, and improves mucosal immunity, possibly preventing the risks associated with autoimmune and metabolic diseases.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23176799

you just have to do a little research. :)
  • jonnythan
    Options

how 'bout Yacon:

The intake of FOS (yacon), however, led to a significant reduction of the proinflammatory cytokine IL-1β in macrophage cultures and elevation of the levels of fecal IgA. Together, these results indicate that the daily consumption of yacon does not exert negative effects on the immune system, helps to preserve an anti-inflammatory state in phagocytic cells, and improves mucosal immunity, possibly preventing the risks associated with autoimmune and metabolic diseases.

..... "in macrophage cultures."

Here's the part that led them to actually conclude that yacon consumption "had no negative effects:

"No significant differences were observed in food intake and weight gain when the experimental and control groups were compared. Also, serum levels of IgA, IgM, and IgG; nitric oxide production in peritoneal macrophages; frequencies of T and B lymphocytes in the spleen and peripheral blood; T-cell proliferation; and production of interleukin (IL)-4, interferon-γ, IL-10, and tumor necrosis factor α did not differ in the different groups."

In other words, in the raats, which ate 5% of their diet as yacon there were no observable effects whatsoever.

In other words, large amounts of yacon - amounts many times larger than what a person would get from Shakeology - had no observable effects in the rats.

Next?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

how 'bout Yacon:

Here's the part that led them to actually conclude that yacon consumption "had no negative effects:

"No significant differences were observed in food intake and weight gain when the experimental and control groups were compared. Also, serum levels of IgA, IgM, and IgG; nitric oxide production in peritoneal macrophages; frequencies of T and B lymphocytes in the spleen and peripheral blood; T-cell proliferation; and production of interleukin (IL)-4, interferon-γ, IL-10, and tumor necrosis factor α did not differ in the different groups."

In other words, in the raats, which ate 5% of their diet as yacon there were no observable effects whatsoever.

In other words, large amounts of yacon - amounts many times larger than what a person would get from Shakeology - had no observable effects in the rats.

Next?

i'm sorry, if you can't read, then i can't help you. i'll quote it again:
    helps to preserve an anti-inflammatory state in phagocytic cells, and improves mucosal immunity, possibly preventing the risks associated with autoimmune and metabolic diseases.
  • BeautifulChaos27
    Options
    WELLLLL now that this thread totally blew up, I'll explain myself. I was saying TASTE wise Slim Fast is a lot better than Shakeology. In terms of being good for you I'm sure Shakeology wins. HOWEVER I'm not using either as "meal replacements" or going on any extreme short term plan. I use Slim Fast to hold me off when I can't have an actual meal at the time, or if it's still too early to eat. I maybe have 3 at most a week.

On that note, I also make home made shakes using yogurt and fruit more often than using the Slim Fast. So it's all good people, I've combine all sorts of different plans into my weight loss.

I use slim fast shakes when needed
    I eat healthy foods
    I've been cutting portions
    I've been eating the weight watchers "Smart Ones" when I don't have time to make my own meals
    I also use MULTIPLE types of brands for protein bars

I don't swear by any brand :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options

how 'bout Yacon:

Next?

helps to preserve an anti-inflammatory state in phagocytic cells, and improves mucosal immunity, possibly preventing the risks associated with autoimmune and metabolic diseases.

In phagocyte cultures from rats. That's not evidence of anything, certainly not evidence of any beneficial effects in humans at 1% of the dose given in the study.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe that I haven't included Himalayan sea salt and luo han guo in my diet all this time. My bad.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

how 'bout Yacon:

Next?

In phagocyte cultures from rats. That's not evidence of anything, certainly not evidence of any beneficial effects in humans at 1% of the dose given in the study.

on what animal do they test aspartame?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    FFS. Again? Get out. Get a drink. Find a girlfriend. Life is short.
  • jonnythan
    Options

how 'bout Yacon:

Next?

Offtopic, so this is my only post on the subject: aspartame has been extensively studied in many animals, including humans.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The power of marketing!!! Look at the label and what is in it? How is that processed.

Some of the stuff - such as chia seeds - you may be better off in its real form ... flax seeds not bad - but has a lot of has omega -6 in it ... an inflammatory

I am not discouraging anyone - but I think in the long run we are better off putting stuff in our mouth which doesn't have a long shelf life!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

how 'bout Yacon:

Next?

Offtopic, so this is my only post on the subject: aspartame has been extensively studied in many animals, including humans.

the majority of most nutritional studies are done on rats because doing long term studies on humans is damn near impossible - so difficult that only a handful have EVER been done.

I gave you a valid study. If it doesn't make you happy, that's on you. If you don't want to use it, don't. Good? Why don't we let people make up their own minds. For me, I stopped using it because I couldn't afford it. I also can't afford a mercedes, a rolex, or a nicer apartment. that doesn't mean i go around spouting that nice apartments are useless.

at the end of the day it ALWAYS boils down to one thing - do your research and decide for yourself. don't listen to me or jonnythan because we're not you and don't know your circumstances/values/priorities.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    don't listen to me

You heard it here first folks!