I want to yell NOOOOO to energy bars

Options
I just watched the Jon Stewart interviews of Michael Moss (Salt Sugar Fat) on my computer.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-march-26-2013/michael-moss
http://www.thedailyshow.com/extended-interviews/424784/playlist_tds_extended_michael_moss/424767

Which reminded me that every time I see a protein bar or energy bar on one of my mfp friend's food diary, I want to yell NOOOOOO! When are we going to stop putting processed foods in our bodies?

Replies

• PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I eat those from time to time but only early in the morning before I work out and I haven't eaten but mostly I stay away
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just watched the Jon Stewart interviews of Michael Moss (Salt Sugar Fat) on my computer.
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-march-26-2013/michael-moss
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/extended-interviews/424784/playlist_tds_extended_michael_moss/424767

Which reminded me that every time I see a protein bar or energy bar on one of my mfp friend's food diary, I want to yell NOOOOOO! When are we going to stop putting processed foods in our bodies?

I eat them regularly because they taste good! I don't believe in "good foods" and "bad foods." All food is nutritional within the context of a balanced diet.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're evil but I look at the nutrition info and most of them are close to being candy bars with a lot of vitamins added in. I never buy them.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    what I put in my body is MY choice, it doesn't do anything to you-other than annoy you apparently. Some people eat 100% clean, some eat 75% clean, others don't eat clean at all, to each their own
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I started making my own protein bars.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    what I put in my body is MY choice, it doesn't do anything to you-other than annoy you apparently. Some people eat 100% clean, some eat 75% clean, others don't eat clean at all, to each their own

I soak all my food in bleach!!! 100% clean!!!!
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    I got on a kick of eating them for a few weeks because we got a bunch on sale. But then I read the ingredients and calories etc and decided that it wasn't the kind of food I needed while trying to get healthy.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're evil but I look at the nutrition info and most of them are close to being candy bars with a lot of vitamins added in. I never buy them.

I agree with this. I choose not to eat them because for that much sugar, I'd rather have a real sweet treat, not candy masquerading as health food. My problem is when people eat them truly thinking they are healthy. They aren't, however they can fit into your daily macros if that's what makes you happy.
  • phishn4peace
    phishn4peace Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Clif bars are the only thing I can hold down before and during really long runs.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly whole foods, but I do have my Atkins Hazelnut chocolate Daybreak bars every morning. They are very low in sugar, and I don't mind the sugar alcohols. Good source of protein and healthy fats. But most of all, they are my Chocolate indulgence that has kept me on my plan for 7 months, allowing me to lose 40 pounds. So I think that is a good thing. The rest of my diet has improved so drastically, that this small amount of processed food is ok for me.
    I used to be such an 'all or nothing' type person, and it just set me up for failure. If I tried to be 100% perfect, then 90% was basically failing, so why bother? In my older and wiser years, I have learned that moderation is the key. Life is about choices and trade-offs.

I don't drink beer or wine, so I take my small amount of alcohol in the form of chocolate!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options

This
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest protein bars. Not sure if they are clean or not, but they are definitely not candy bars.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Candy bars with extra vitamins and protein added? I'm always ready for that party! :laugh:
  • sylwheat
    sylwheat Posts: 125
    Options
    Another reason to keep my diary to myself. I don't care what you eat or drink, or what kind of exercise you do or how often. If it works and is working for you...then I am here to support you. I LOVE protein bars..I eat them when I want. I have lost 40lbs and continue to lose.
    You eat the way you want - and I eat the way I want.....
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest protein bars. Not sure if they are clean or not, but they are definitely not candy bars.

No, they're HORRIBLE!! I got a few flavors because every time a topic comes up "what is a good protein/nutrition bar" it seems like there are 57 answers in a row: "quest. Quest! QUEST! Quest! Quest are the BEST!"

I couldn't even finish chewing the first bite of the apple pie one, my husband tossed half the peanut butter/chocolate one and the chocolate brownie one was like chewing on semi-sweet chocolate rubber. Blech. What a waste of money.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything against them, but Ihave yet to find one that I thought tasted good that wasn't also expensive.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options

I soak all my food in bleach!!! 100% clean!!!!

I think I ate something of yours once, I didn't feel too great afterwards
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Are they filling? I've never tried one because I get turned off the moment I see how many calories are in one. I'd rather have a proper meal instead.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    My food diary my business.

I use protein bars occasionally to help me meet my protein intake when I'm on the go as they are convenient and taste nice. I follow an IIFYM lifestyle and therefore can eat whatever I like within my macros. Some entries would be considered 'clean' some not so much but that's my choice. I do not think it's fair to pass judgement on other people's dietary choices.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Candy bars with extra vitamins and protein added? I'm always ready for that party! :laugh:

Yeah, that's exactly why I eat them!

For ~200 calories, I'd rather have a Pure Protein chocolate and peanut butter bar with 20g of protein than a couple of Reese's cups with 5g.

I wouldn't use them as meal replacements. They're just snacks.