I want to yell NOOOOO to energy bars

Options

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I started making my own protein bars.

Same! I make my own granola bars, and they fill me right up

Homemade energy bars are easy (if you have a food processor) and soooo good. I actually like these "raw brownies" better than real brownies: http://mynewroots.org/site/2011/04/the-raw-brownie-2/
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    what I put in my body is MY choice, it doesn't do anything to you-other than annoy you apparently. Some people eat 100% clean, some eat 75% clean, others don't eat clean at all, to each their own

This

^^^
    This. I like to think of my self as a 80/20 girl. 80% of the time I try to eat healthy non processed foods. 20% of the time I like to eat the hell out of some crap. YUM! It all balances out.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I just watched the Jon Stewart interviews of Michael Moss (Salt Sugar Fat) on my computer.
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-march-26-2013/michael-moss
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/extended-interviews/424784/playlist_tds_extended_michael_moss/424767

Which reminded me that every time I see a protein bar or energy bar on one of my mfp friend's food diary, I want to yell NOOOOOO! When are we going to stop putting processed foods in our bodies?

I get all my best information from a comedian and a guy trying to sell a book too. :grumble: :noway: :grumble: :noway:

I'm amazed at how many people trade in their critical thinking skills for a clever turn of phrase and pseudo science.
  • pobanion
    pobanion Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    what I put in my body is MY choice, it doesn't do anything to you-other than annoy you apparently. Some people eat 100% clean, some eat 75% clean, others don't eat clean at all, to each their own

I soak all my food in bleach!!! 100% clean!!!!

I like to eat the "pink slime" meat filler. It is pre-bleached :)
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest protein bars. Not sure if they are clean or not, but they are definitely not candy bars.

^^ This ^^

I don't eat bars often, but I like to have one or two on hand just in case I need to grab and go and from what I've ready and researched, Quest Bars are the way to go.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I want to yell
    yes_zpsbedb0e90.jpg
    because they're just that good \m/

k i will allow this here,

yes_zpsbedb0e90.jpg
    yes_zpsbedb0e90.jpg
    yes_zpsbedb0e90.jpg
    :wink: \m/
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Homemade energy bars are easy (if you have a food processor) and soooo good. I actually like these "raw brownies" better than real brownies: http://mynewroots.org/site/2011/04/the-raw-brownie-2/

I wish I could justify getting a proper food processor. I see tons of recipes for DIY Lara Bars (which I really like but $$$, seriously). Although all the fruit sugar might put some off.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest bars and plan on not stopping.
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options

^This.

*making mental note never to add OP to my FL*

Same here. I eat protein bars sometimes before or after the gym to give me a boost or to hit my protein for the day. God forbid I ever have anything processed in my food diary I'll get yelled at. Jeeze.
    I'm here for support not judgement!!!
    If it's working for me, let me be!!!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I had a protein flapjack today after my cardio because I hadn't eaten and needed energy. Tons of sugar and carbs, but it allowed me enough energy to finish my weight lifting routine and supplied about half of my daily protein. I agree that they're not the best daily foods, and they're full of crap, but they have their use and it's all about moderation.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    There's nothing really wrong with them. The only way they are wrong is if you choose not to consume them. Eating processed foods obviously isn't as good as whole foods that are fresh however energy bars/protein bars are a much better choice than a chococlate bar.

I keep some protein bars on hand. To me they taste like a chocolate bar so instead of getting in 200 totally empty calories by picking up a chocolate bar, I eat a protein bar which has the same, if not a few more calories than a chocolate bar but much more nutrition.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest protein bars. Not sure if they are clean or not, but they are definitely not candy bars.

No, they're HORRIBLE!! I got a few flavors because every time a topic comes up "what is a good protein/nutrition bar" it seems like there are 57 answers in a row: "quest. Quest! QUEST! Quest! Quest are the BEST!"

I couldn't even finish chewing the first bite of the apple pie one, my husband tossed half the peanut butter/chocolate one and the chocolate brownie one was like chewing on semi-sweet chocolate rubber. Blech. What a waste of money.

let me tell you something about Quest energy bars... let's take a little journey... i was driving home, a 12 hour drive, paying for gas with change and filling up a water bottle from a fountain at a rest stop (mmmm, bleachy)... i was just praying that the gas needle wouldn't hit 0 before i got home... i was RAVENOUS. i was gnaw-off-my-own-arm HANGRY. and i had that apple pie Quest bar that someone had left in my car. it was the ONLY thing to eat. and did i mention that i was REALLY HUNGRY? yeah, i opened that thing up and was hungry enough to get through two and a half bites. that as literally ALL i could force myself to eat. i stuck w/ my clorox water for the rest of the drive. (yes i made it home, but i had to put the lawn mower gas into my car once pay day hit so i could make it to the station)
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I often eat clif bars as either breakfast or lunch because my job requires a lot of travel and I'd rather eat that than pull through a drive through somewhere.
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There's nothing really wrong with them. The only way they are wrong is if you choose not to consume them. Eating processed foods obviously isn't as good as whole foods that are fresh however energy bars/protein bars are a much better choice than a chococlate bar.

I keep some protein bars on hand. To me they taste like a chocolate bar so instead of getting in 200 totally empty calories by picking up a chocolate bar, I eat a protein bar which has the same, if not a few more calories than a chocolate bar but much more nutrition.
    This!

Some days, I have 150-200 calories left and I need to put in more for my protein macro. It's a "nutrition" bar, but I like to reach for a Luna bar to curb off hunger with those calories instead of reaching for something empty. I COULD just eat chocolate or whatever I fancy, but the Luna bars are tasty and I feel good about eating them rather than chocolate.
  • GnomeLover1984
    Options
    I really don't give a **** if someone wants to sit around and eat Country Crock butter out of the tub all day long. What other people eat is none of my business...nor is it yours. :D
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I yell NOOOOOOO when people don't mind their own business.
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this. If you can't pronounce just one of the ingredients it shouldn't go in your mouth!
    Weird. I mean, I couldn't pronounce "quinoa" when I first saw it, but "arsenic" is easy. That thinking could lead to one seriously effed-up diet.

Ahaha love it!!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this. If you can't pronounce just one of the ingredients it shouldn't go in your mouth!
    Weird. I mean, I couldn't pronounce "quinoa" when I first saw it, but "arsenic" is easy. That thinking could lead to one seriously effed-up diet.
    five.gif
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Tag for later
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I really don't give a **** if someone wants to sit around and eat Country Crock butter out of the tub all day long. What other people eat is none of my business...nor is it yours. :D

Get it!!!!