Replies

• RobinME
    RobinME Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I just watched the Jon Stewart interviews of Michael Moss (Salt Sugar Fat) on my computer.
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-march-26-2013/michael-moss
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/extended-interviews/424784/playlist_tds_extended_michael_moss/424767

Which reminded me that every time I see a protein bar or energy bar on one of my mfp friend's food diary, I want to yell NOOOOOO! When are we going to stop putting processed foods in our bodies?

Do you eat bread? Processed. Cheese? Processed. Pasta? Processed. Cereal? Processed. Flavored nuts? Processed. Sodas? Processed. Coffee creamer? Processed.

Your diary is private. Tell me, what DO you eat since most foods are technically "processed" in some way, shape, or form? Even if you made the bars yourself, wouldn't you agree that they're still "processed?"
  • meghan_elizabeth
    meghan_elizabeth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this. It's not so much of a judgement about what people put in their body; I simply cringe because a lot of the people I know eat these and actually believe that it's a good choice....they think they are making just as good of a choice as eating fruits and veggies. That's why it bugs me.

If you are educated about food, and choose to eat these, that's fine. Everything in moderation is fine.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    what I put in my body is MY choice, it doesn't do anything to you-other than annoy you apparently. Some people eat 100% clean, some eat 75% clean, others don't eat clean at all, to each their own

I soak all my food in bleach!!! 100% clean!!!!

so thats how they do it!! . I will do this to soft serve and it would be clean to eat....THANKS. Your awesome
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    ....they think they are making just as good of a choice as eating fruits and veggies.

I don't think they're "just as good" as fruit and veg; they're different from fruit and veg.

I'm not going to eat strawberries to help me pass my protein goal.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I make my own. The artificial sugar taste was just too much for me
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    what I put in my body is MY choice, it doesn't do anything to you-other than annoy you apparently. Some people eat 100% clean, some eat 75% clean, others don't eat clean at all, to each their own

Exactly.

Note: I ate a Kind bar while reading this thread. LOL
  • bostongrl13
    bostongrl13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    While they aren't typically in my diet I tend to live off CLIF bars and CLIF protein bars when I go snowboarding in Colorado. A) My cousin is sponsored by them so they are free (Unlike a $10 Grilled Chicken sandwich at Vail...ugh) and B) Those so called evil sugars and carbohydrates give me energy to dig myself out of a 4 foot deep tree well in the back country...

I applaud people who have hectic schedules, kids, and no time to cook and eat "clean" 100% for choosing a protein bar when hungry instead of something way worse...I don't know if I'd have that much self control...
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I eat Kind bars because pretty much everything has gluten in it, and they are DELICIOUS.

Not very bad either.
  • cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I uses Meal Replacement bars all the time as they fit into my schedule and don't draw attention when I need to eat during a meeting.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest protein bars. Not sure if they are clean or not, but they are definitely not candy bars.

No, they're HORRIBLE!! I got a few flavors because every time a topic comes up "what is a good protein/nutrition bar" it seems like there are 57 answers in a row: "quest. Quest! QUEST! Quest! Quest are the BEST!"

I couldn't even finish chewing the first bite of the apple pie one, my husband tossed half the peanut butter/chocolate one and the chocolate brownie one was like chewing on semi-sweet chocolate rubber. Blech. What a waste of money.

Meh. People have differing tastes. I love quest bars. There are very few flavors that I don't like. I will not however eat anything made by Hersey or Mars. A snickers? Ew.

Snickers Marathon bars are awesome!
    :smokin: :heart:

I tried those once. Couldn't stomach it - two bites and I'd had enough. I think I've lost the taste for candy - well traditional American candy that is. I still like Lindt (but only in small doses!)
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I want to yell
    yes_zpsbedb0e90.jpg
    because they're just that good \m/

k i will allow this here,

yes_zpsbedb0e90.jpg
    yes_zpsbedb0e90.jpg
    yes_zpsbedb0e90.jpg
    :wink: \m/

I'll have what she's having? :wink:
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly whole foods, but I do have my Atkins Hazelnut chocolate Daybreak bars every morning. They are very low in sugar, and I don't mind the sugar alcohols. Good source of protein and healthy fats. But most of all, they are my Chocolate indulgence that has kept me on my plan for 7 months, allowing me to lose 40 pounds. So I think that is a good thing. The rest of my diet has improved so drastically, that this small amount of processed food is ok for me.
    I used to be such an 'all or nothing' type person, and it just set me up for failure. If I tried to be 100% perfect, then 90% was basically failing, so why bother? In my older and wiser years, I have learned that moderation is the key. Life is about choices and trade-offs.

I don't drink beer or wine, so I take my small amount of alcohol in the form of chocolate!

So much of THIS!!!!!! (Well, except for the no beer or wine...I can't condone that! lol!)
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love protein bars and energy bars. I do not eat them every day, but sometimes they really help out. I tend to stick to the ones that have a small sugar content and ingredients that I can pronounce. I have lost 110 pounds so far in 2 years so they can't be all bad.

I have no comment on the energy bar argument because I don't eat them and don't care either way...just had to say WOW on your amazing weight loss!!! Congrats to you!! :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I love Balance Bars and Luna Protein bars! I find they fulfill my ginormous sweet tooth without having to succumb to the more junky alternatives...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Homemade energy bars are easy (if you have a food processor) and soooo good. I actually like these "raw brownies" better than real brownies: http://mynewroots.org/site/2011/04/the-raw-brownie-2/

I wish I could justify getting a proper food processor. I see tons of recipes for DIY Lara Bars (which I really like but $$$, seriously). Although all the fruit sugar might put some off.

If you cut them into 2 inch squares each one has 231 calories and 16g of sugar. A little more than a piece of fruit, but less than a real brownie, and the dates give them a deep caramel flavor that make them seem way more decadent than they actually are. They're probably not much cheaper, though, because they're all nuts and dried fruit which is pricey.
  • 87indiegirl
    87indiegirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing those links! I heard an interview with Moss on NPR early this week- definitely buying his book now :)
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing those links! I heard an interview with Moss on NPR early this week- definitely buying his book now :)

Someone tell Michael Moss we just found his hook, line and sinker.
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I want to yell NOOOOO everytime someone tells me what I should and shouldn't eat.