Monsanto Protection Act

Options
Ah well.. there goes our nutrition goals.. Get ready to pay more for real organic food! *smh*

~~~ Slipped into the Agricultural Appropriations Bill, which passed through Congress last week, was a small provision that’s a big deal for Monsanto and its opponents. The provision protects genetically modified seeds from litigation in the face of health risks and has thus been dubbed the “Monsanto Protection Act” by activists who oppose the biotech giant. President Barack Obama signed the spending bill, including the provision, into law on Tuesday

http://www.npr.org/documents/2013/mar/house_CR.pdf

Page 78 section 735
( Plant protection act:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/weeds/downloads/PPAText.pdf )
discuss

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Great, just great! Well at least I can still plant organic seed. Monsanto sues organic farmers. Organic farmers can do nothing.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It's been shown that GMO wheat is the cause of gluten allergies and celliac (sp?) disease.. so yes.. let not even hold them liable for the harm they knowingly cause

Not to mention it takes away the power of the supreme court and the right for people to sue.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am behind on the times, but as for as I know we do not have GMO wheat in the US. We have hybridized wheat but not GMO wheat.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    We have GMO corn and many others that are genetically modified.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    We have GMO corn and many others that are genetically modified.

That is true, we do have GMO corn and GMO soy but not GMO wheat.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Barley, rye, soybean, corn.. all associated with it.
    They experimented with genetically modifying wheat, so really we do not know what is out there..
    Just because the USDA says it's not grown, does not mean it is not grown..
  • svermace
    svermace Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    THIS IS A VERY BIG DEAL - AND AMERICANS EVERYWHERE NEED TO BE AWARE OF WHAT MONSANTO IS DOING, NOT ONLY IN AMERICA - BUT ALL OVER THE WORLD! Their ultimate goal is to own the food supply. Period. Order the film, "The World According to Monsanto" on Amazon.com, and then watch all of it. Then, show it and share it with as many people as you possibly can, it's okay, they don't require any fees for public screenings of them film. Monsanto must be stopped, and this new bill only opened the gates in their favor! A direct HIT to our healthy food supplies. And yes, they have sued many, many US farmers and the farmers cannot fight them, they end up bankrupt. PLEASE write to President Obama and let him know how disappointed you are about this new bill. Go to: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact , you can email him directly at this link. I worked very hard to get him re-elected, and still respect many other good things this administration is accomplishing, but this bill IS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Ah well.. there goes our nutrition goals.. Get ready to pay more for real organic food! *smh*

~~~ Slipped into the Agricultural Appropriations Bill, which passed through Congress last week, was a small provision that’s a big deal for Monsanto and its opponents. The provision protects genetically modified seeds from litigation in the face of health risks and has thus been dubbed the “Monsanto Protection Act” by activists who oppose the biotech giant. President Barack Obama signed the spending bill, including the provision, into law on Tuesday

http://www.npr.org/documents/2013/mar/house_CR.pdf

Page 78 section 735
    ( Plant protection act:
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/weeds/downloads/PPAText.pdf )
    discuss

For those who thought the government had ANY shred of credibility when it comes to nutrition, wake up. This is undeniable proof that the government and the industry lobbyists care about nothing but their bottom line.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am very reluctant to pay the price for organic foods, but I am leaning that way. I found out in one of my classes they actually put the pesticides right into the seeds. I am thinking it makes washing the food an exercise in futility and I don't know how many calories that burns, but probably not enough to make up for the pesticides still being in the food. I hope we are able to decontaminate our food supply someday, but I am not optimistic about this.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Government really has no place in agriculture beyond the responsibility of ensuring food safety ... even that is really not their responsibility. People don't realize what government is doing to is. Smoke screen and diversions so they can pass a law that is too long for any congressman/senator to read and understand in it's entirely which the majority of the public is distracted by something trivial. (not demeaning gay rights to marriage, just mean it's not something that affects health and well-being, government actually has no rights to intervene in marriage, it's really a religious issue). They do this because if we the people were paying attention we'd be pissed. The power lies with us, we just don't believe it anymore or understand what that means.

I hope this is a wake up call and people stop buying GMO or foods that may contain GMO, and start going to their local organic farmers. the ONLY way we will make Monsanto and those like him change is to not give them our money. Honestly.. i'd even be wary of GE foods, since we don't really know what they did to them.. At least they didn't inject chemicals into their seeds..

Also Monsanto is a very large contributor to the presidential campaign..and he's the head of the FDA.. Conflict of interest much?? Food for thought.. (pun intended)

To the lady above who "worked so hard to get Obama elected" I wish you would have really looked at him, before doing so.. He's doing so many things that are so bad for this economy just like he said he would.. *sigh* anyway that's a whole different topic...

The only reason organic foods are more expensive is because more of it rots on the trees before harvest or is unsuitable for sale. less product = higher price. If you go to local farmers markets or to the farms themselves you will pay less then if you go to the organic section of a grocery store (a lot of time less then even the non-organic section, because the farmers don't have to mark up their prices to pay overhead like the stores do) Can get meat this way too in many places. I wish I had a bigger freezer and someone to split 1/2 a cow with. I get my meat that way if I could, but 1/2 a cow on my own is just too much! LOL
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    In case your bored. I haven't watched it yet, but here is a youtube link to the documentary mentioned above. I think lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VEZYQF9WlE
  • nondomesticgoddess
    nondomesticgoddess Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BUMP

Want to read more on this topic - thanks for posting Confuzzled!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Government really has no place in agriculture beyond the responsibility of ensuring food safety ... even that is really not their responsibility. People don't realize what government is doing to is. Smoke screen and diversions so they can pass a law that is too long for any congressman/senator to read and understand in it's entirely which the majority of the public is distracted by something trivial. (not demeaning gay rights to marriage, just mean it's not something that affects health and well-being, government actually has no rights to intervene in marriage, it's really a religious issue). They do this because if we the people were paying attention we'd be pissed. The power lies with us, we just don't believe it anymore or understand what that means.

I hope this is a wake up call and people stop buying GMO or foods that may contain GMO, and start going to their local organic farmers. the ONLY way we will make Monsanto and those like him change is to not give them our money. Honestly.. i'd even be wary of GE foods, since we don't really know what they did to them.. At least they didn't inject chemicals into their seeds..

Also Monsanto is a very large contributor to the presidential campaign..and he's the head of the FDA.. Conflict of interest much?? Food for thought.. (pun intended)

To the lady above who "worked so hard to get Obama elected" I wish you would have really looked at him, before doing so.. He's doing so many things that are so bad for this economy just like he said he would.. *sigh* anyway that's a whole different topic...

The only reason organic foods are more expensive is because more of it rots on the trees before harvest or is unsuitable for sale. less product = higher price. If you go to local farmers markets or to the farms themselves you will pay less then if you go to the organic section of a grocery store (a lot of time less then even the non-organic section, because the farmers don't have to mark up their prices to pay overhead like the stores do) Can get meat this way too in many places. I wish I had a bigger freezer and someone to split 1/2 a cow with. I get my meat that way if I could, but 1/2 a cow on my own is just too much! LOL

I understand the frustration with Obama on this issue, and in this case I share it completely, but to think this is any different than how another administration would have handled this is pure fantasy. the government is in the pocket of big business no matter what side of the isle you're on or whether your state is blue or red.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I'm not in either one.. I have my own mind and can think freely.. I highly doubt the person who got my vote would have taken the power away from the people or the court system.. Would I have liked everything they did? Doubtful, but I like almost nothing this adminstration is doing, has done or is planning on doing.

Irregardless.. I really hope people realize what this will do to thier bodies. Checmial, toxins, pesticides etc.. injected right into the seeds of our foods, Which means washing them will not remove the checmicals and we will injest them. and when you get sick because of it.. you can't go after the corporation.. fun fun.

Find and organic farmer now and stick with them!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Here's another article on this for you to read... It's a bit outdated as this has already passed the house and was signed byt he president, but it breaks it down pretty well for everyone..

http://grist.org/industrial-agriculture/monsanto-protection-act-would-keep-gmo-crops-in-the-ground-during-legal-battles-3/
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Bump- cause this is important for people to know..
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Overreacting.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Overreacting.

In what world?
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options