Monsanto Protection Act

Options

Replies

• Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am very relieved I live in the UK, GMO crops are banned in Europe, at least for the time being.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Overreacting.

In what world?

Did you actually read the act or the over blown sensational news story?
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am behind on the times, but as for as I know we do not have GMO wheat in the US. We have hybridized wheat but not GMO wheat.
    Corrrect, there is no GMO wheat grown in the US. GMO meaning in a lab, digging into the individual genes to make changes. There is and really always has been hybrid crops where desirable traits of crops are bred with each other in the actual planting. Think of it like cross breeding dogs to breed out hip dysplasia (sp?) or attain a certain size. Labradoodles, puggles, chiweenies, etc. This is not the same as if scientists took the DNA from a lab and poodle, dissected and changed specific chains and then produced it via IVF.

GMO corn and some other crops, yes there are those out there that are lab creations and is disconcerting.

My source on the wheat info was my own reading and also the two (college educated in Ag) farmers that run my family's wheat crops. I had this specific conversation with them last summer after joining MFP and seeing the concerns in the message boards. I am interested if someone has peer reviewed studies done on the effects of crop changes on diseases, where the author doesn't have a personal monetary stake in the publishing of the article/book.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's been shown that GMO wheat is the cause of gluten allergies and celliac (sp?) disease.. so yes.. let not even hold them liable for the harm they knowingly cause

Not to mention it takes away the power of the supreme court and the right for people to sue.

O rly? Care to substantiate that?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Also Monsanto is a very large contributor to the presidential campaign..and he's the head of the FDA.. Conflict of interest much?? Food for thought.. (pun intended)

Tinfoil hat much?

He is now a she and a corporate entity is now a woman?

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/ucm193998.htm
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    THIS IS A VERY BIG DEAL - AND AMERICANS EVERYWHERE NEED TO BE AWARE OF WHAT MONSANTO IS DOING, NOT ONLY IN AMERICA - BUT ALL OVER THE WORLD! Their ultimate goal is to own the food supply. Period. Order the film, "The World According to Monsanto" on Amazon.com, and then watch all of it. Then, show it and share it with as many people as you possibly can, it's okay, they don't require any fees for public screenings of them film. Monsanto must be stopped, and this new bill only opened the gates in their favor! A direct HIT to our healthy food supplies. And yes, they have sued many, many US farmers and the farmers cannot fight them, they end up bankrupt. PLEASE write to President Obama and let him know how disappointed you are about this new bill. Go to: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact , you can email him directly at this link. I worked very hard to get him re-elected, and still respect many other good things this administration is accomplishing, but this bill IS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED.

i'll have to watch this movie
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Get the pitchforks and the torches.

Oh who am I kidding? No one is going to do anything except shut up and bend over for our new food overlords.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    If only some of you worried about things that were actually real problems in society. Instead of getting worked up over nothing.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I don't expect anything less from President Obama. He is owned by the corporations and for the corporations. He will go down in history as one of the worst presidents this country has ever had.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's been shown that GMO wheat is the cause of gluten allergies and celliac (sp?) disease..

No, hasn't. I'm totally against the bill and wrote all my representatives with my views prior to the vote, but this statement above is still not true.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I don't expect anything less from President Obama. He is owned by the corporations and for the corporations. He will go down in history as one of the worst presidents this country has ever had.

Now THERE'S someone tinfoil hat worthy
  • MAYONNAISESANDWICH
    Options
    Maybe I am behind on the times, but as for as I know we do not have GMO wheat in the US. We have hybridized wheat but not GMO wheat.

I am made of GMO Wheat, ask me anything.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In to learn more.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options

Meh. All politicians are owned by someone. Problem is, people got this strange notion thought this guy was somehow different. Heh. He's just as sold as the previous guy, and so will the next guy.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    In to learn more.

BWAHAHAHAH, ROFLMFAO.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Sorry to disappoint you but that slot was already taken by his predecessor.

Edit: and soon this thread will be locked...
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjz4iiX6KE1qj7u8ao1_500.gif
  • Jamtart9
    Jamtart9 Posts: 13
    Options
    Whether or not there is anything wrong with GMO food, Monsanto should NOT be protected against possible future harm that might arise.

That's as good as admitting they already KNOW there is something they'll get sued over.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Just going to leave this here...

tinhat.jpg
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Also Monsanto is a very large contributor to the presidential campaign..and he's the head of the FDA.. Conflict of interest much?? Food for thought.. (pun intended)

Tinfoil hat much?

He is now a she and a corporate entity is now a woman?

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/ucm193998.htm

Ohh silly, you know he's talking about Vilsack.