The udder truth

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Why are you repeating walls of text - saying it twice doesn't make it any more effective.

These are doctors and researchers!

T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D.

castcrew t colin cambell Cast and CrewFor more than 40 years, Dr. Campbell has been at the forefront of nutrition research. His legacy, the China Project, is considered the most comprehensive study of health and nutrition ever conducted. Dr. Campbell is the Jacob Gould Schurman Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University and Project Director of the acclaimed China-Oxford-Cornell Diet and Health Project. The study was the culmination of a 20-year partnership of Cornell University, Oxford University and the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine.

Dr. Campbell received his master’s degree and Ph.D. from Cornell, and served as a Research Associate at MIT. He spent 10 years on the faculty of Virginia Tech’s Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition before returning to the Division of Nutritional Sciences at Cornell in 1975 where he presently holds his Endowed Chair (now Emeritus).

His principal scientific interests, which began with his graduate training in the late 1950s, has been on the effects of nutritional status on long term health, particularly on the cause of cancer. He has conducted original research both in laboratory experiments and in large-scale human studies; has received more than 70 grant-years of peer-reviewed research funding, mostly from the National Institute of Health, and has served on several grant review panels of multiple funding agencies. Dr. Campbell has lectured extensively, and has authored more than 300 research papers. He and his son, Thomas M. Campbell II, are authors of the bestselling book, The China Study: Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health.

Dr. T. Colin Campbell is the recipient of several awards, both in research and citizenship, and has actively participated in the development of national and international nutrition policy.

Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.

castcrew caldwell esselstyn Cast and CrewDr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., received his B.A. from Yale University and his M.D. from Western Reserve University. In 1956, pulling the No. six oar as a member of the victorious United States rowing team, he was awarded a gold medal at the Olympic Games. He was trained as a surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic and at St. George’s Hospital in London. In 1968, as an Army surgeon in Vietnam, he was awarded the Bronze Star.

Dr. Esselstyn has been associated with the Cleveland Clinic since 1968. During that time, he has served as President of the Staff and as a member of the Board of Governors. He chaired the Clinic’s Breast Cancer Task Force and headed its Section of Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery.

In 1991, Dr. Esselstyn served as President of the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons. That same year he organized the first National Conference on the Elimination of Coronary Artery Disease, which was held in Tucson, Arizona. In 1997, he chaired a follow-up conference, the Summit on Cholesterol and Coronary Disease, which brought together more than 500 physicians and health-care workers in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. In April, 2005, Dr. Esselstyn became the first recipient of the Benjamin Spock Award for Compassion in Medicine. He received the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Cleveland Clinic Alumni Association in 2009.

His scientific publications number over 150. “The Best Doctors in America” 1994-1995 published by Woodward and White cites Dr. Esselstyn’s surgical expertise in the categories of endocrine and breast disease. In 1995 he published his bench mark long-term nutritional research on arresting and reversing coronary artery disease in severely ill patients. That same study was updated at 12 years making it one of the longest longitudinal studies of its type. It is most compelling, as no compliant patients have sustained disease progression. Today, 20 years later compliant patients continue to thrive.

Dr. Esselstyn and his wife, Ann Crile Esselstyn, have followed a plant-based diet for more than 20 years. They work together to counsel patients both in Cleveland, where they live, and in summer at the farm in upstate New York where Dr. Esselstyn grew up. Dr. Esselstyn concentrates on the medical details, and Ann focuses on healthy foods
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I swear we just did this....
    Did anyone mention baby cows yet?

MILK IS FOR BABY COWS!!!:angry:

You're welcome. :smile:
    Thanks! I think that's all this conversation was missing. So, we can be done now. Tea?
  • verzanie
    verzanie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I make my milk from oats. It's quick, easy, and cheap. Sho cheep!

How do you do that and what are the calories/nutritional values?
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I make my milk from oats. It's quick, easy, and cheap. Sho cheep!

That's not milk. Maybe we can call it oat water? Lol

Doesn't sounds very appetizing at all... water with oats floating around in it getting all bloated... blech lol
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Living is linked to dying.

Might as well just end my life now then.

Ahaha.

LOVE your profile pic BTW :laugh:

Why, thank you. :flowerforyou:

More than welcome! I think that picture made my day! :smile:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I swear we just did this....
    Did anyone mention baby cows yet?

MILK IS FOR BABY COWS!!!:angry:

You're welcome. :smile:
    Thanks! I think that's all this conversation was missing. So, we can be done now. Tea?

Got some cheesecake to go with the tea?
  • brandymandycandy
    Options
    This thread reminds me of the Wife Swap episode where the family only ate raw and spoiled chicken and milk because they said it was better for them. :laugh:
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed by how easily people get offended. A woman poses the belief that dairy is bad, and we all jump down her throat. "NO!! MY DAIRY GOOD!! ARGH!!!" Either way you think you know about it - why spend so much time worrying about being right? Don't be a disappointment to the human race - be a truth-seeker and encourager.

The point is that she doesn't have any valid data to back up her argument. At least not that she has put up. It's not about being right, it's about not backing up what you are putting out there as truth.

"The point" is that you need equally valid data to discredit. Helpful suggestions to the contrary or links to why dairy is so beneficial would prove far more effective. Irrespective of your beliefs, I truly do not belive you're a scientist who has conducted studies.

You're right, I'm not a scientist and I've never said I was. And as I said in one of my other posts , maybe she is right, but I'm waiting to see the evidence that isn't biased from the start. I haven't said anything scientific that needs to be backed up, what I defended earlier was her argument of the reason people are gaining weight is the chemicals in our food... not that society has become lazy and largely portioned. That just takes all the responsibility away from the person who gained the weight. And that argument I backed with personal experience.

Look, MY point is that she didn't post it as a belief... her original post came across as truth with nothing to back it up. And her arguments later in the thread go against what is common sense.

Just to make everyone happy... DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion... I have no scientific proof to back up anything I have just said (only my own common sense)...so don't listen to me if you don't want. No one's loss.

Edited to take out double quote...

I will agree with you on this. I should stated as you said my opinion, based on what I have researched, but this did come from scientific research. I will try to dig up the literature after work today. Here is something for now...
    Food addiction seems to be linked to the types of foods we’re consuming. Dr. Kelly D. Brownell, director of Yale’s Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity, notes that the human body is biologically adapted to deal with foods found in nature, not processed foods.

“We don’t abuse lettuce, turnips and oranges,” says Dr. Brownell, co-editor of the new book “Food and Addiction.” “But when a highly processed food is eaten, the body may go haywire. Nobody abuses corn as far as I know, but when you process it into Cheetos, what happens?”

Dr. David A. Kessler, the former F.D.A. commissioner, described these products as “hyperpalatable” foods created to tantalize our taste buds by focusing on the right combination of salty, sweet and fatty ingredients along with “mouth-feel.”

Dr. Brownell says that the brain science should lead us to question how food companies are manipulating their products to get us hooked. “With these foods, personal will and good judgment get overridden. People want these foods, dream about these foods, crave them.”
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Stop beating down on OP. Many of us may have found that eliminating dairy has done wonders for their own health. In my case, I have to agree that dairy does have an effect on acne. First reducing and then altogether eliminating dairy from my diet has changed my complexion completely. I went from greasy pizza face to clean and clear skin.

I really think it has to do with rBGH and rBST, even though many milk labels state that there is no discernible difference between milk originating from cows that have or have not been treated with with rBGH and rBST.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I am immune to this mind virus. I have found that eliminating viral memes from my mind has made me healthier, happier, and more intelligent than ever.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    castcrew t colin cambell Cast and CrewFor more than 40 years, Dr. Campbell has been at the forefront of nutrition research. His legacy, the China Project, is considered the most comprehensive study of health and nutrition ever conducted. ....
    He's also considered to have some pretty poor conclusions drawn from often questionably selected data with the intention of selling books to a particular gullible sector.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

I have a word press and I can say whatever the hell I want (and usually do).

I drink milk or eat cheese, usually multiple times a day. I enjoy it with pop tarts and other processed foods. We'll all die eventually. My aunt ate organic everything, didn't drink milk and was careful about the products she used. She lost her battle with breast cancer 9 years ago in April at 50 years of age. I plan on enjoying whatever time I'm lucky to get on earth and if milk makes me happy I'm going to drink it.

Surely you jest. You cannot have abs like that with POP TARTS IN YOUR DIET.

You must be outside your mind, sir.

sir?:noway:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Gosh. How did I live to be 62 with no health problems (touch wood). I love dairy and have eaten it all my life.

The dairy industry has changed A LOT. Today, the dairy is loaded with growth hormones to produce more milk, antibiotics because cows are over milked and get udder infections, and even given steroids.

Don't take my word for it- search for the truth.

Milk- Got pus?

I lurv my ignore button, keeps the crazies at *click*
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk myself but mainly because I find it hard to digest the lactose. Did you know wheat has been altered genetically over they years? Like dairy, wheat is ubiquitous in the typical american diet & there are some who insist the genetic changes in wheat over the years are the root cause all kinds of health problems americans now face. The fact is, almost anything we do is bad for us, even breathing air we are likely taking in impurities. My motto is simple one….all things in moderation. Good luck in your quest!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    why did i click on this thread? smh
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Could someone with the appropriate talents add a tin foil hat to this chicken's head for me?

Thanks,

chick1.jpg
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Some scientist somewhere has proven that everything is bad for you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Stop beating down on OP. Many of us may have found that eliminating dairy has done wonders for their own health. In my case, I have to agree that dairy does have an effect on acne. First reducing and then altogether eliminating dairy from my diet has changed my complexion completely. I went from greasy pizza face to clean and clear skin.

I really think it has to do with rBGH and rBST, even though many milk labels state that there is no discernible difference between milk originating from cows that have or have not been treated with with rBGH and rBST.

And perhaps, did you replace the milk you were drinking with water? Because water IS clinically proven to improve acne WHEREAS milk has NOT been clinically proven to cause it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    *running around flailing arms* we're all gonna DIE!!!!!!!!:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    pasteurized dairy IS inflammatory no matter what some people may think. My nephew had chronic ear infections and eczema as a toddler and an ND suggested we try no dairy as he was supposed to get tubes put in next. He's dairy free and symptomless. Thank God the stopped vaccinating the **** out of him too!