10 pieces of advice you would have told the old you ?

Options

Replies

• wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    10 is way too many when one can cover it all: Shut up and do it.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I am still losing weight I am 40 pounds from my goal but I have learned:

1. don't be afraid to eat more

2. drink a lot of water

3. get moving and active through out the day

4. don't let lifes circumstances throw you in a downward spiral

5. step up your game

6.have realistic goals and expectations

7. take it one step at a time and one day at a time
    8. tell yourself you are a work in progress you will get there
    9. when life gives you setbacks don't stay there get back up and try harder
    10. realize that you didn't gain weight overnight and that slow and steady wins the race
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You CANNOT out-exercise a horrible diet. No matter how much cardio you do, that large pizza afterward is unacceptable and the exact reason you aren't losing weight.

Get off the elliptical and pick up something heavy.

DO NOT SMOKE THAT CIGARETTE.

You are pretty, and not just pretty "for a brown skinned girl."

Your friends suck. Get new ones.

Your peers are not any smarter than you. You are capable of any and everything you put your mind to.

Communication is a useless major. Pick nursing.

Use your voice; it matters.

The boys you "date" are losers. Pick new ones.

He does not just want to watch a movie. They never do. DO NOT GO IN HIS HOUSE!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Put down that bread!
  • saralayne42
    saralayne42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In no particular order:

1) Not all calories are created equal.
    2) Sadness and isolation are made worse by food - not better.
    3) We knew in the 11th grade we wanted to run - start now. You'll love it!
    4) Step away from the soda, diet or otherwise.
    5) It's ok to not know how to do everything in the gym. Ask for help.
    6) PCOS is not an excuse. You will change your metabolism if you put in the work.
    7) There is no 'when I lose all the weight'. You have to do this for the rest of your life.
    8) Start Jazzercise sooner. It's not the 'old-lady' workout you think it is. You'll have a blast.
    9) Those bodies you are envious of? Their owners are working hard. Work hard too.
    10) Cardio makes you feel amazing. Weights make you feel badass. Be an amazing badass!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    In no particular order:

6) PCOS is not an excuse. You will change your metabolism if you put in the work.
    7) There is no 'when I lose all the weight'. You have to do this for the rest of your life.
    8) Start Jazzercise sooner. It's not the 'old-lady' workout you think it is. You'll have a blast.
    9) Those bodies you are envious of? Their owners are working hard. Work hard too.
    10) Cardio makes you feel amazing. Weights make you feel badass. Be an amazing badass!

LOVE IT! Jazzercise????? Never thought of it before you wrote it here...I'm going to check it out. Zumba wasn't my cup of tea--I'll definitely look into this and/or just pump up the old school jams (classic rock, old school house music, r&b) from the 1960's, 70's and 80's and 90's too. Dancing for me is one thing that makes my fat cry almost like no other!!!
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    1. Tomorrow, you will wish you would have started TODAY

2. Your children are not an EXCUSE to not spend time on yourself. They are the REASON to spend time on yourself.--I wish I would have been told this 7 years ago before my first was born.

3. Learn from people who look like you want to look like in the future. Do not try to learn from people who look like you do currently. (Someone here posted it in another way-"If I wanted to look like you, I'd workout/eat like you")

4. Greek yogurt is really good with agave nectar

5. Strength train when you are training for distance running. I HEAVILY regret stopping for several months to train for a 1/2 marathon. I should have just kept doing BOTH.

6. DON'T LIVE IN PANTS WITH ELASTIC WAISTS!!!

7. Weight is a number, measurements are numbers, clothing sizes are numbers. Pick which number matters most to you and base your progress off of that.

8. Take pictures more often.

9. Repeat mantra: "I do not quit when I'm tired, I quit when I'm DONE."

10. Schedule your workouts like they are the most important appointments of the week.

I love every single one of these!!!
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Only 1.

I'd tell the 18 year old me: 'Don't call your friend after you take that overdose'
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Use the 80/20 rules. Make healthy choices 80% of the time and make terrible choices 20% of the time.
    Eat healthy food that you enjoy. do not eat a salad unless it is a splurge with homemade blue cheese dressing.
    Snack on fruits and veggies.
    Share your junk with others. You'll eat less.
    Buy a pretty water bottle that is functional and drink all day long. Your skin will clear up.
    Buy a reusable mug with a lid that you can microwave. Keep fruit tea and honey at your desk.
    Use honey as a sweetener as much as possible.
    Always buy the low sodium or no salt added foods.
    Cheese makes everything better, so always set aside some calories for it.
    No diet/light products.
    Read labels and know what you are eating. Better to eat a bit more fat and calories than a ton of sodium.
    Cook your own soup.
    Cadio and strength train everyday. Vary the routines so that you exercise a different muscle every other day.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1. You are worth the extra work it takes to eat healthy and exercise
    2. Don't fill yourself with bad thoughts, if you wouldn't say it to a friend, then why say it to yourself
    3. log, log, log
    4. ask for help/advice
    5. it's ok to have a bad day, learn from it and move on
    6. it's f'ing hard work but so worth it
    7. NEVER give up on yourself
    8. STOP making excuses, no matter how tired you are, do something everyday...
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    (#1-10).... PUT DOWN THAT FORK!!!!!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Actually just three!

1. You CAN fit exercise in if you really want to.

2. You are eating way more than you realize.

3. It really doesn't take that much to properly fuel your body.
  • jjeddy
    jjeddy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ^^#5^^ The best....so true!
  • saralayne42
    saralayne42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In no particular order:

LOVE IT! Jazzercise????? Never thought of it before you wrote it here...I'm going to check it out. Zumba wasn't my cup of tea--I'll definitely look into this and/or just pump up the old school jams (classic rock, old school house music, r&b) from the 1960's, 70's and 80's and 90's too. Dancing for me is one thing that makes my fat cry almost like no other!!!

I tried Zumba as well, didn't much care for it. What I loved about Jazzercise is the instructors are trained to cue. They'll tell you how to maintain proper form and what move is coming next. They do (IMHO) a great job, the mix of strength and cardio in one class really gave me a great overall burn. Alas, I had to give it up to join a gym the whole family could use.
    I do love to shake it!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    love them all....
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Be patient.

Never let yourself regain weight you have lost.

Healthy is more important than thin.

Exercise is as much for the mind as it is for the body.

Alcohol is not worth the extra calories.

Being thin (thinner!) will not automatically make you happier.

Enjoy every day - no matter what.

Make time for relationships that help you grow, and rid yourself of relationships that are toxic.

You, alone, are solely responsible for your health and well-being.

Never stop trying to achieve your goals.
  • HelenaHanbasket
    Options
    This is an AWESOME thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TheKittyCato
    TheKittyCato Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not advice, but motivation as I am not too far in my journey thus far...

Thank you for deciding to start this journey.
    You have no idea how much of your life you gave to that couch-TV is a treat, not a lifestyle.
    I say ‘yes’ to every worthy invitation now. I don’t make a contingency in case I’m too tired, sick or hungover to attend.
    The new you will remember what it’s like to accomplish goals and will plant more of them like they are a garden.
    That reminds me, you like to garden now.
    You will spend more quality time with some of your old friends and even some new ones doing things that better you and your life-not just sitting around eating and drinking.
    Your son whines about going to his dad’s now instead, because mommy takes him on such fun adventures.
    You look forward to getting out of bed everyday to see what greatness the day will bring.
    You deserve this.

What a great exercise (non-caloric!). Thanks.
    Awesome!
  • TheKittyCato
    TheKittyCato Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1) You can't be friends with everyone so stop trying so hard
    2) Enjoy the time you have with your parents
    3) Don't ever stop drawing (I did sadly)
    4) Learn to dance in the rain cause it's gonna keep raining, you might aswell enjoy it!
    5) Have faith in yourself, you don't need validation from others
    6) Do what you love, not what you're expected to do
    7) Life's too short to be embarrassed so make sure you have fun
    8) Take better care of your friends
    9) Don't wait for that moment 'when you're older' to make things happen in your life
    10) Don't make excuses for yourself; if you want it, you can do it!
    fantastic!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!