What's on your bookshelf at the moment?

Options

Replies

• regosaki
    regosaki Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There are about 50 books on my to-be-read shelf. What I am currently reading is "A Storm of Swords" by George R. R. Martin. Loving it...and wondering why on earth it took me so long to get to this series??!! So good!

Yes!!!! I have all those books on my kindle shelf (and actual books and audio). Started reading Dunk & Egg stories and on the 2nd installment (young King Aegon prequel). Can you tell I'm obsessed and ready for tomorrow's premier?

I have Rick Riordan books. My daughter and I read all the Percy Jackson books together.

I live in France so as such I watch very little TV, I am going to try and avoid the entire series then watch them all back to back online? (Some would say sad..........and I would have to agree with them)
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Regosaki...if you had to pick one book as your favorite (it sounds like you have read a lot!) what would it be?

Bound for Glory by Woody Guthrie! How about you?
    I haven't been able to do a lot of reading the last couple years...going to school for my associates degree in accounting (I wish I was done already!) I've read a lot of books..but I can't pick my favorite...I really like jodi piccoult...but I don't think I've expanded my reading as much as I would like...if I find an author I like I read a lot of their books....I need to start keeping a list of everything I read!
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    Working on 2 different ones of short stories......The complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft....The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe
    Am alternating books with each story that I read.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult, The Infernals by John Connolly and trying to decide if I want to finish Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin. I put it down quite a while ago and I'm still angry.

Oh, I had a couple of "Oh no, grrm DITN'T!" but I couldn't stop reading. Now I'm salivating for the next two installments and even read his preview chapters from TWOW. He sucked me in good.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    That was a good series. The first book hooked me so much, I started it at 11 pm (terrible habit) and finished it at 2:30 am. I've read all the BDB series but it makes me roll my eyes. A lot.

Eye rolling? why?

Because her phrasing can be awkward, these guys are centuries old vampires but they use hip-hop slang, listen to rap and drive Escalades and she drops brand names like she's paid to do so. But the stories are entertaining so I put up with it. :laugh:
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman, with Ken Follett's Winter of the World Trilogy waiting...
  • ozytron
    ozytron Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just finished binge-reading George Saunders' work, but now I'm focused on finishing Shogun. :)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Anyone on Goodreads.com or have the app?

Yes! SabrinaJL there too.
  • WendySPWarren
    WendySPWarren Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Campbell Biology, 9th edition.
  • regosaki
    Options
    Regosaki...if you had to pick one book as your favorite (it sounds like you have read a lot!) what would it be?

Bound for Glory by Woody Guthrie! How about you?
    I haven't been able to do a lot of reading the last couple years...going to school for my associates degree in accounting (I wish I was done already!) I've read a lot of books..but I can't pick my favorite...I really like jodi piccoult...but I don't think I've expanded my reading as much as I would like...if I find an author I like I read a lot of their books....I need to start keeping a list of everything I read!

I really don't think your alone in the regard that you don't think you have read enough books, everyone feels like that. A love of literature is a lifelong love of the written word, in our lives we will find dozens of authors that inspire and excite us. How many books you read isn't important, what'is is that you cherish each new book with the same energy and passion as you did your first. I love reading as it allows me free reign to use my imagination and it is a wonderful way to escape the real world for a short time. I agree with you in a way that picking one book above all others is very difficult, my answer of 'Bound for Glory' was more of a recommendation to read, I recommend it everyone I speak to about literature as I just think it is a fantastic depiction of pre WW2 America, it is a biting social and cultural commentary on a global superpower in a transitional economic phase of history, seen through the eyes of one of it's song writing legends.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I live in France so as such I watch very little TV, I am going to try and avoid the entire series then watch them all back to back online? (Some would say sad..........and I would have to agree with them)

As long as it's on your bucket list, but it can be a while. GRRM is a slow writer :grumble:
  • regosaki
    Options
    Working on 2 different ones of short stories......The complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft....The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe

Poe is on my list after I'm done with Mary Shelley! Love his work, he was a Gothic mastermind.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    A laundry hamper.

But seriously, currently reading a book on schizophrenia. Chilling stuff.
  • regosaki
    Options
    I just finished binge-reading George Saunders' work, but now I'm focused on finishing Shogun. :)

Shogun sounds amazing I am totally adding that one to my MUST READ list..

I hope you enjoy it.
  • regosaki
    Options
    That was a good series. The first book hooked me so much, I started it at 11 pm (terrible habit) and finished it at 2:30 am. I've read all the BDB series but it makes me roll my eyes. A lot.

Eye rolling? why?

Because her phrasing can be awkward, these guys are centuries old vampires but they use hip-hop slang, listen to rap and drive Escalades and she drops brand names like she's paid to do so. But the stories are entertaining so I put up with it. :laugh:

That doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I do have a number of friends who are into that kinda thing so I shall pass on the details. Thanks for the tip
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the 21st Century.

I'm reading it for a class and it has been very interesting so far - especially the discussions of Walmart's supply chain system and the innovations developed by UPS.
  • regosaki
    Options

As long as it's on your bucket list, but it can be a while. GRRM is a slow writer :grumble:

I mentioned it before to someone else (I think) I have his box set on my shelf, but knowing it is to be on TV I find it hard to motivate myself to pick them up, even though a number of friends have told me they are great books....I'm sure my resistance will crack at some stage.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Just about finished The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory, what's next is somewhere in the pile of books on my coffee table:
    My Thoughts Be Bloody, The Bitter Rivalry Between Edwin and John Wilkes Booth That Led to an American Tragedy by Nora Titone
    Open Heart by Elie Wiesel
    The Baker Street Letters by Michael Robertson (and the 2nd in the series, The Brothers of Baker Street)
    Congressman Lincoln, The Making of America's Greatest President by Chris DeRose
    The 3 most recent books in the Molly Murphy series by Rhys Bowen
    Lincoln's Hundred Days by Louis P. Masur
    Amazonia by James Rollins
    And then there are the bookshelves of books to be read...it's never ending.
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options

Poe is on my list after I'm done with Mary Shelley! Love his work, he was a Gothic mastermind.

they are my 2 all time favorites....check out Lovecraft if you haven't already read his
  • regosaki
    Options

they are my 2 all time favorites....check out Lovecraft if you haven't already read his

I certainly will thanks for the tip!