Vegan Cat help!!

Options
Cr01502
Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
Hello

Me and my family have recently decided to go vegan. It's been about one year now and so far we're all really enjoying it (the kids sometimes complain about the food lol). But the newest addition to our family, a six month old Munchkin named Nadia, absolutely refuses to adopt our vegan lifestyle. I've picked up a few recipes off the internet but she absolutely REFUSES to eat. My family and I are big into animal welfare and we just don't believe in harming other animals. Any ideas?

Here is what I'm feeding her now:

Deflated Soya 480 grams
Wheat flour 160 gram
Bajra flour 160 grams
Maize flour 160 grams
Edible oil 20 grams
Skim milk (I substitute with alomonds!) powder 10 grams
Dried yeast powder 5 grams
Salt to taste

I then make it into a dough and place it in the oven and make it into biscuits.

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you're serious or not.
    Cats are not Vegans. They are carnivores. They eat meat. They NEED meat. Trust me, a cat does not have any ethical issues with eating another animal. Please don't force your human lifestyle on a non-human.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :noway: um, I know it's April Fool's Day and all :huh: , so I'm not sure how serious you are, considering cats are obligate carnivores.:ohwell:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Ah, April Fools day. Thank goodness! This IS a joke, right? Right?!?
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Hello

Me and my family have recently decided to go vegan. It's been about one year now and so far we're all really enjoying it (the kids sometimes complain about the food lol). But the newest addition to our family, a six month old Munchkin named Nadia, absolutely refuses to adopt our vegan lifestyle. I've picked up a few recipes off the internet but she absolutely REFUSES to eat. My family and I are big into animal welfare and we just don't believe in harming other animals. Any ideas?

Here is what I'm feeding her now:

Deflated Soya 480 grams
    Wheat flour 160 gram
    Bajra flour 160 grams
    Maize flour 160 grams
    Edible oil 20 grams
    Skim milk (I substitute with alomonds!) powder 10 grams
    Dried yeast powder 5 grams
    Salt to taste

I then make it into a dough and place it in the oven and make it into biscuits.

Put some butter on it! Butter makes everything better!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Soy bacon? All cats love soy bacon!
  • hookilau
    Options
    @ april fool: o gawd i hope so :explode:
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Cats can live perfectly healthy lifestyles as vegans! Why do you people have to be so judgmental about other cat's dieting lifestyles?
  • hookilau
    Options
    :drinker: exits thread
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    If it fits in her macros, who cares?!
  • Cr01502
    Options
    I am not sure if you're serious or not.
    Cats are not Vegans. They are carnivores. They eat meat. They NEED meat. Trust me, a cat does not have any ethical issues with eating another animal. Please don't force your human lifestyle on a non-human.

I'm sorry you feel that I'm forcing my lifestyle on other people. My cat's ethical issues aren't really my concern. Both me and my family have witnessed the health benefits of going vegan and I think it's time that Nadia does the same. We our trying to teach our children to love and respect other animals. How am I suppose to reiterate the importance of a vegan lifestyle to my children while feeding my cat meat?
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ummm if you're going to actual have a vegan diet for an animal that shouldn't be vegan I'd suggest trying a product that actually has all the things your cat will need rather than a homemade mix. Peta has a product listing that might work better.

http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/vegetarian-cats-and-dogs.aspx
  • phangirl8
    phangirl8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Does she even lift?
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    haha this HAS to be a joke, right?
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you don't feed your cat meat, it will just go and find it elsewhere by catching mice and birds, etc.
  • LovesStrays
    Options
    This is awful, I can't believe that you are making your cat go vegan - it's a disgrace. CATS NEED MEAT. It's fine for you and your family but don't force this diet on your cat..

If you don't think you can lok after the cat properly and are in the UK I'll happily take her for the sake of her health.

Some people just shouldn't have pets :explode:
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    ... My cat's ethical issues aren't really my concern... We our trying to teach our children to love and respect other animals...

I think this says it all lol
  • Cr01502
    Options
    ummm if you're going to actual have a vegan diet for an animal that shouldn't be vegan I'd suggest trying a product that actually has all the things your cat will need rather than a homemade mix. Peta has a product listing that might work better.

http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/vegetarian-cats-and-dogs.aspx

Thank you so much for this link!

Now I'm sure that I'm doing the right thing for Nadia!

The only problem is that none of those stores seemed to be based in the UK and I have yet to find a UK distributor. Also I'm not sure they're organic . . .

But this quote made me sure I was doing the right thing.

"If you have been feeding your companion animals commercial pet foods, you may be jeopardizing their health. Supermarket pet foods are often composed of ground-up parts of animals deemed by U.S. Department of Agriculture inspectors unfit for human consumption. The flesh of animals who fall into one of the categories of the four D's—dead, dying, diseased, or disabled—is what often goes into pet food. Many of these animals have died of infections and other diseases.

In all but a few states it is legal to remove unusable parts from chickens and sell them to pet food manufacturers. Most pet foods contain the same hormones, pesticides, and antibiotics that are found in commercial meat products for humans. If you are concerned about your companion animals' health and about the cruelty of the meat industry, now is the time to stop buying meat-based commercial pet food."

Please read this if you think I am harming my pet. Because the truth is you might be harming yours.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You know the book Wheat Belly? It was actually written for cats. 2 things that are harmful to a cats digestion and well being are wheat and corn. Your cat is not ethical and feeding it what makes you feel good is going to kill your cat. How would you like it if one morning the cat announced that due to his ethical concerns over the lives off plants you would now be eating a diet of nothing but mice, rabbits, birds and the odd blade of grass to help you digest the hair you licked off your *kitten*? He's only doing this for your own good because hey, he feels great eating that diet.

Totally ludicrous to assume that what makes you feel better carries over onto another species. You probably wouldn't want to be in water all day so are you going to put your fish out on the table to dry out because it will feel better? For that matter, why are you trapping and keeping an animal in your home? Let it run free to enjoy life as intended, not as your pet slave for your enjoyment.

And PETA is always the sound voice of reason. For sure listen to anything PETA has to say. NOT!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    My stomach loves animals wrapped in bacon.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Maybe your cat has psychological issues?

You can take him to this guy: http://jacksongalaxy.com/

He's really helping Poptart with the grieving process of losing his brother.