Vegan Cat help!!

Options

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    How would you like it if one morning the cat announced that due to his ethical concerns over the lives off plants you would now be eating a diet of nothing but mice, rabbits, birds and the odd blade of grass to help you digest the hair you licked off your *kitten*? He's only doing this for your own good because hey, he feels great eating that diet.

Totally ludicrous to assume that what makes you feel better carries over onto another species. You probably wouldn't want to be in water all day so are you going to put your fish out on the table to dry out because it will feel better? For that matter, why are you trapping and keeping an animal in your home? Let it run free to enjoy life as intended, not as your pet slave for your enjoyment.

WOW!

I really feel like I am being attacked here!

First of all I'm not the one killing innocent creatures.

Second, the diet that you said my cat would force me to eat. Is that paleo?

Also, I'm a responsible pet owner. I'm not going to let Nadia run around the neighborhood to kill innocent creatures or even worse, get killed herself!

There is a massive difference to the aggressive slaughter techniques used by humans to get meat and your cat going off to hunt a small animal... "killing innocent animals" its part of life im afraid... your cat needs to able to be a cat period. Try finding organic, ethically sourced cat food if your have a problem with it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It's called nature.

Nice try at an April Fools joke, but too obviously fake.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Here is what I'm feeding her now:

Deflated Soya 480 grams
    Wheat flour 160 gram
    Bajra flour 160 grams
    Maize flour 160 grams
    Edible oil 20 grams
    Skim milk (I substitute with alomonds!) powder 10 grams
    Dried yeast powder 5 grams
    Salt to taste

I then make it into a dough and place it in the oven and make it into biscuits.

catvomit-380x286.jpg
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone will convince you, and that is very sad...I just hope your cat doesn't become too miserable or die of something horrible...but, hey ho! At least you stuck to your principles...

http://www.essentialvegetarian.com/2007/07/08/7-reasons-why-your-cat-cannot-be-vegetarian/

7 reasons why your cat cannot be vegetarian

Any vegetarian or vegan who has a cat, at some stage thought about feeding it vegetarian diet. Out of all the domestic animals cats are unique. A study by the National Cancer Institute suggests that all current domestic cats in the world are descendants from a group of self-domesticated wildcats 10,000 years ago. In fact there’s still no conclusive evidence that domestic cats should be classified as a separate species.

Being a true carnivore a cat (domestic or wild) subsists on a diet consisting primarily of meat. In its natural state the cat will hunt and provide for itself at every opportunity. A wild cat eats all of its prey including hair, skin, flesh, bones and internal organs. Cats are very unlikely to give up meat voluntarily. If you intentionally feed cat vegetarian diet, it will look for meat somewhere else. Many cats will hunt and kill mice, rabbits and birds. Certainly they will consume other foods as well, especially of animal origin. However as these are not important in their diet, cats will eat them only in small quantities and not on a regular basis.

Cats lack the physiology to properly digest vegetation. It’s no coincidence that a cat eats grass to induce vomiting to get rid of the hair collected in its stomach. The cat’s digestive system cannot convert plant based nutrients in to the form that its body can utilize. That’s why cat are are called strict carnivores, as they need to take the active form of the nutrients from other animals, who do the conversion beforehand.

Here’s 7 most important nutrients that your cat is unable to get from a vegetarian diet:
    1.Taurine is an amino acid essential for cats as unlike other mammals, cats cannot synthesize it. In the absence of taurine, a cat’s retina slowly degenerates and the cat suffers eye problems and can become irreversibly blind. This condition is called central retinal degeneration (CRD). Cow’s milk is a poor source of taurine and there is none in plant foods. The only rich source is meat.
    2.Arachidonic acid is one of the essential fatty acids. Dogs and humans can convert linoleic acid found in vegetable fats into arachidonic acid. Cats are unable to do that, as their liver doesn’t contain delta-6-desaturase enzyme (no kidding!). Cats need arachidonic acid to be able to produce an inflammatory response so that the body can protect itself in case of disease. Arachidonic acid also helps control skin growth and is necessary for proper blood clotting, proper functioning of the reproductive and gastrointestinal systems. Animal fat is the only major source of arachidonic acid, very small amount can be found in eggs and milk. Arachidonic acid deficiency takes some time to develop but its effect on the cat is profound.
    3. Vitamin A found in vegetables (carotenoid) cannot be converted by cats in to the active form of vitamin A (retinol). As cats do not have the necessary enzyme to do the conversion they have to hunt other animals that have done it for them (mice, rabbits). There are sufficient quantities of retinol in meat and very small amounts in eggs and milk. Liver is the richest source of preformed Vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency in cats can cause night blindness, retarded growth, and poor-quality skin and fur.
    4.Vitamin B12 is another vitamin that cannot be synthesized by cats. Vitamin B12 is present only in animal products.
    5.Niacin can be synthesized from the amino acid tryptophan by many mammals but not cats. Meat is the best source of niacin. Insignificant amounts of niacin can be found in milk and eggs. Lack of niacin in cat’s diet can cause loss of appetite, loss of weight, inflamed gums, and hemorrhagic diarrhea.
    6.Thiamin (vitamin B1) has an important role in carbohydrate metabolism. Cats are very susceptible to deficiency of this vitamin. Thiamin is rapidly destroyed by heat, that’s why only raw meat is the only good source of this nutrient. Very small amount can be obtained from eggs and dairy. Thiamin deficiency in cats can lead to anorexia, ataxia, paralysis and finally permanent brain damage.
    7.Protein is required by cats in large amounts. Over 30% of a cat’s diet should consist of protein and this can be a problem on a vegetarian diet.

For all these reasons cats must not be fed vegetarian or vegan diet. Cats have very specific nutritional needs which you must meet if you want to keep them fit, healthy, and happy.

You might have to make some hard choices as this is a question of life and death for your cat. It might be impractical or impossible to let your cat hunt, but killing your cat by feeding it food they cannot digest is just another way to participate in animal cruelty that we’re trying to avoid in the first place.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    "killing innocent animals" its part of life im afraid

Life maybe . . . but not in my house and Nadia lives in my house.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What do you do though if he catches a bird or something?!?! BAD VEGAN KITTY! NO!

I know this was meant to be funny but please don't joke about stuff like this.

Animals killing other animals isn't funny.

Word. Stop the violence!

i live in africa and have seen lions kill zebra ect .. bad lion is going to hell maybe you should come over and give it some popcorn ... its basic instincts animals hunt and kill to survive they enjoy it ... its a bit different to farming animals to be killed for human consumption my step dad always tells me hes a carnivore i always say ill believe you when you go out and kill it yourself instead of buying in a packet in the shop
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    What do you do though if he catches a bird or something?!?! BAD VEGAN KITTY! NO!

Word. Stop the violence!

This, is the difference between actual proper vegans who know the difference between our real bad aggressive farming techniques and those who realise that ANIMALS in the wild (outside) will hunt other animals.

Animals killing other animals for a meal is part of life. Do grow up.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    so you have an issue with eating meat but you have no issue with purchasing a genetically engenired animal?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    cats are obligate carnivores. Bad idea unless you don't really like your cat.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    So, yeah I'm not going to personally try to argue anything, so here:
    http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-food-101-what-you-need-to-know-about-feeding-your-cat
    http://www.companionsanimal.com/boisevet-discussesbestdiet-cats/
    http://www.catinfo.org/

"Keep in mind this is nothing I'm saying myself these are direct quotes from the webmd site above:
    Cats are meat eaters. They require two to three times the protein that omnivores, such as dogs or humans, do.
    As strict carnivores, cats rely mainly on nutrients found in animals -- high protein, moderate fat, and minimal carbohydrates -- to meet their nutritional needs. Cats’ bodies are adapted for metabolizing animal protein and fats. And animal-based proteins also contain complete amino acids -- such as taurine, arginine, cysteine, and methionine. These are essential for cats, whose bodies don't make them in adequate amounts. "

Now my personal opinion: Let her out in the yard to catch mice and small birds... it's called the circle of life.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone will convince you, and that is very sad...I just hope your cat doesn't become too miserable or die of something horrible...but, hey ho! At least you stuck to your principles...

http://www.essentialvegetarian.com/2007/07/08/7-reasons-why-your-cat-cannot-be-vegetarian/

Any vegetarian or vegan who has a cat, at some stage thought about feeding it vegetarian diet. Out of all the domestic animals cats are unique. A study by the National Cancer Institute suggests that all current domestic cats in the world are descendants from a group of self-domesticated wildcats 10,000 years ago. In fact there’s still no conclusive evidence that domestic cats should be classified as a separate species.

Being a true carnivore a cat (domestic or wild) subsists on a diet consisting primarily of meat. In its natural state the cat will hunt and provide for itself at every opportunity. A wild cat eats all of its prey including hair, skin, flesh, bones and internal organs. Cats are very unlikely to give up meat voluntarily. If you intentionally feed cat vegetarian diet, it will look for meat somewhere else. Many cats will hunt and kill mice, rabbits and birds. Certainly they will consume other foods as well, especially of animal origin. However as these are not important in their diet, cats will eat them only in small quantities and not on a regular basis.

Cats lack the physiology to properly digest vegetation. It’s no coincidence that a cat eats grass to induce vomiting to get rid of the hair collected in its stomach. The cat’s digestive system cannot convert plant based nutrients in to the form that its body can utilize. That’s why cat are are called strict carnivores, as they need to take the active form of the nutrients from other animals, who do the conversion beforehand.

Here’s 7 most important nutrients that your cat is unable to get from a vegetarian diet:
    1.Taurine is an amino acid essential for cats as unlike other mammals, cats cannot synthesize it. In the absence of taurine, a cat’s retina slowly degenerates and the cat suffers eye problems and can become irreversibly blind. This condition is called central retinal degeneration (CRD). Cow’s milk is a poor source of taurine and there is none in plant foods. The only rich source is meat.
    2.Arachidonic acid is one of the essential fatty acids. Dogs and humans can convert linoleic acid found in vegetable fats into arachidonic acid. Cats are unable to do that, as their liver doesn’t contain delta-6-desaturase enzyme (no kidding!). Cats need arachidonic acid to be able to produce an inflammatory response so that the body can protect itself in case of disease. Arachidonic acid also helps control skin growth and is necessary for proper blood clotting, proper functioning of the reproductive and gastrointestinal systems. Animal fat is the only major source of arachidonic acid, very small amount can be found in eggs and milk. Arachidonic acid deficiency takes some time to develop but its effect on the cat is profound.
    3. Vitamin A found in vegetables (carotenoid) cannot be converted by cats in to the active form of vitamin A (retinol). As cats do not have the necessary enzyme to do the conversion they have to hunt other animals that have done it for them (mice, rabbits). There are sufficient quantities of retinol in meat and very small amounts in eggs and milk. Liver is the richest source of preformed Vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency in cats can cause night blindness, retarded growth, and poor-quality skin and fur.
    4.Vitamin B12 is another vitamin that cannot be synthesized by cats. Vitamin B12 is present only in animal products.
    5.Niacin can be synthesized from the amino acid tryptophan by many mammals but not cats. Meat is the best source of niacin. Insignificant amounts of niacin can be found in milk and eggs. Lack of niacin in cat’s diet can cause loss of appetite, loss of weight, inflamed gums, and hemorrhagic diarrhea.
    6.Thiamin (vitamin B1) has an important role in carbohydrate metabolism. Cats are very susceptible to deficiency of this vitamin. Thiamin is rapidly destroyed by heat, that’s why only raw meat is the only good source of this nutrient. Very small amount can be obtained from eggs and dairy. Thiamin deficiency in cats can lead to anorexia, ataxia, paralysis and finally permanent brain damage.
    7.Protein is required by cats in large amounts. Over 30% of a cat’s diet should consist of protein and this can be a problem on a vegetarian diet.

For all these reasons cats must not be fed vegetarian or vegan diet. Cats have very specific nutritional needs which you must meet if you want to keep them fit, healthy, and happy.

You might have to make some hard choices as this is a question of life and death for your cat. It might be impractical or impossible to let your cat hunt, but killing your cat by feeding it food they cannot digest is just another way to participate in animal cruelty that we’re trying to avoid in the first place.

Nadia is vegan not vegetarian.

Nadia has also lost a bit of weight which is good as she was quite heavy before.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're a troll, awesome job.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Nadia has also lost a bit of weight which is good as she was quite heavy before.

Yeah shes lost weight because you are starving her. Bad Vegan lady NO!!
  • grbhmb
    grbhmb Posts: 12
    Options
    You are setting your cat on a direct pathway to
    diabetes and pancreatitis. If you love the cat,
    feed it the food it NEEDS and not the food you
    like. Or please, let someone else adopt the cat.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Word. Stop the violence!

This, is the difference between actual proper vegans who know the difference between our real bad aggressive farming techniques and those who realise that ANIMALS in the wild (outside) will hunt other animals.

So you are pro-hunting?
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Nadia is a dead thing on legs if you feed her this diet.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you're serious or not.
    Cats are not Vegans. They are carnivores. They eat meat. They NEED meat. Trust me, a cat does not have any ethical issues with eating another animal. Please don't force your human lifestyle on a non-human.

I'm sorry you feel that I'm forcing my lifestyle on other people. My cat's ethical issues aren't really my concern. Both me and my family have witnessed the health benefits of going vegan and I think it's time that Nadia does the same. We our trying to teach our children to love and respect other animals. How am I suppose to reiterate the importance of a vegan lifestyle to my children while feeding my cat meat?
    You said you just added this cat to your home a few months ago. Why would you bring a carnivorous animal into your home and then try to force it into being a vegan???? This makes absolutely ZERO sense.

Hoping, along with the others, that this is an April Fool's joke. Otherwise... Wow.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Do you know how you can tell if someone has a vegan cat? Don't worry, they'll f*****g tell you!!!!
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Word. Stop the violence!

So you are pro-hunting?

Not pro-hunting.

I don't agree with aggresive farming techniques so I am vegan.

I have four cats who are not Vegan and even if they were they would still go and hunt small animals.

I am an intelligent human being, I understand veganism is a man made concept. I understand that other animals have a biological instinct to kill for survival. I therefore don't mind watching a lion hunt a zebra on wildlife programs...
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Now I am certain this is a joke...no one could be this ignorant!!!!