Myth: women can't bulk up

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's not a myth, which is why if someone writes with a specific concern, say, they naturally have big hips and a butt and don't want to get bigger, I tell them to avoid direct weight resistance on those parts. This is common advice for women concerned about aesthetics. (More accurately, I should say, "currently prevalent aesthetics.")

How a woman looks is a combination of her genetics and training choices. But some people persist in arguing that weights never increase size and that everyone responds the same way. It's not true.
    Right. Just look at all those cautionary tale threads, the ones where women lament how hideously huge their legs and butt got because they did deadlifts or squats. There have to be at least a million such threads on the forums here.

Oh wait, there aren't any. Nevermind.

And yet it's remarkably easy to find many posts advising others of the *potential* dangers of it.

Hmmm.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Is it possible for a woman to get quite large lifting weights? Yes, absolutely. But for the average woman who lifts 2 or 3 times a week, using 5, 8, 10, or even 15 pound weights, and is on a restricted calorie diet? No. The kind of muscle that the OP is talking about takes years of daily lifting and extreme amounts of calories a day. Most women are not genetically engineered to look like that, and Becca probably isn't either. The chances of her reaching that size naturally, are slim and none. She had a goal, and she decided to do what was necessary to reach it, no matter what it took. But the majority of women that are concerned about getting mannish looking if they work out with weights, are worried over nothing. Simply because they will never lift the weight necessary to build that kind of muscle mass, not to even mention consuming the calories required.

Are some women more prone to put on muscle mass than others? Yep, and I'm one of them. But that fact really does not bother me, at all. I am currently out of shape, but I can still throw 100 lbs on one shoulder and walk off like it isn't there. Do I work out with weights currently? No. Should I? Yep. Will I? You bet ya! Am I concerned that I will end up looking like the woman in the OP first post? No chance in hell of that happening! Why? Because, even if I do work out with weights daily, it isn't going to be heavy enough to encourage that type of muscle mass, and I really don't want to have to eat 3,000-5,000 calories a day, I struggle with eating what I'm supposed to eat now.

Ladies, lift weights. It's good for you in too many ways to list here. Don't be afraid of becoming masculine looking, for the gross majority of women that will not happen, unless you want it to, and for some women not even then.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's not a myth, which is why if someone writes with a specific concern, say, they naturally have big hips and a butt and don't want to get bigger, I tell them to avoid direct weight resistance on those parts. This is common advice from people that have no idea what they are talking about but have made it their life's mission to spread inane misinformation and keep women in the dark about physical fitness . (More accurately, I should say, "currently prevalent aesthetics.")

How a woman looks is a combination of her genetics and training choices. But some people persist in arguing that weights never increase size and that everyone responds the same way. It's not true.

Fixed
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Imo, that is not from natural weight lifting, neither is any other really big muscle men either. Its a step too far for me.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    And you believe she is a lifetime natural? Why?

Cause she's a competitive athlete. You can take a look at some of the olympic weight lifters.

Lance Armstrong was a competitive athlete

BOOM!

^^ Exactly...
    "Cause she's a competitive athlete." That logic makes no sense...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

Good luck gaining those first 20 pounds of lean mass. You act like it's just going to happen, but you have to actually work at it. A woman would be lucky as hell to gain 10 pounds of lean mass in a year with specialized diet and training.

...like............ a HUGE calorie surplus

HUGE

the people here saying women wont bulk up are speaking to the women who are for the most part in a calorie DEFICIT and will NOT bulk up.

science and stuff

Took her 8 years to be able to bench 405. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench18.htm

Ha. I wish I could get there that quickly........This is the first article I have read that made me feel bad about my lifts. I should be benching at least 600 by now.

"What is your advice for beginners (Under 225 benchers), intermediate (315), Advanced over 500?"
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

Okay. But scaremongering is still not a good idea.

Heaven knows women are scared enough of picking up an 8 lb dumbbell because they'll end up "bulky". Nobody is denying that a woman with the right hormonal intervention and many years of training/bulking/cutting etc. can bulk. Your argument, however, is misleading and you're not doing anyone any favors. Just quit.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Glad to see the feminist movement is alive and well.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyuqkcgbhV1qfqkngo1_400.jpg

Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up.

That pic ain't hot.....
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyuqkcgbhV1qfqkngo1_400.jpg

Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up.

Becca Swanson i stronger than me and I'm a 310lb competitive powerlifter..... Do you seriously think she got that way without the aid of exogenous androgenic hormones?

It's a lot easier for women to bulk when they have superphysiological levels of testosterone.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    And you believe she is a lifetime natural? Why?

Cause she's a competitive athlete. You can take a look at some of the olympic weight lifters.

not all competitive athletes in any sport are "natural" look in the news at how many times olympic medals are taking away from athletes once their blood tests come back. all athletes want to be the best, some DO go the natural route, but others DON'T...
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    First and Foremost....if a woman wants to look like that, that is her prerogative and trust me, no one is going to start lifting and accidentally get bulky without realizing it. They WANT to look like that and good for them.

Alot of women I know, once you start lifting and growing, you want more. and more.

I did mention that I understand this doesn't just suddenly happen, but it CAN happen and people should stop lying to women

oh good grief.
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a April fools joke... Not trying to be rude.. I had to go back and look at the date lol.. ugh.. I dont even know what to say to this.. lol..-.- and sigh..
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options

I totally get what you're saying. They also lie about BF% and that in order to look ripped, most women will lose their curves unless they get cosmetic surgery. And, IMO, augmentation + low BF% is positively freaky looking. But that's all part of the "cardio is bad, lifting heavy is good" tunnel vision.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I totally get what you're saying. They also lie about BF% and that in order to look ripped, most women will lose their curves unless they get cosmetic surgery. And, IMO, augmentation + low BF% is positively freaky looking. But that's all part of the "cardio is bad, lifting heavy is good" tunnel vision.

Really?
    Who are they?
    I haven't seen any of this on this forum, especially the "cardio is bad".
  • quirkyone1
    Options
    This fear of bulking disappoints me so much. When I was ONLY doing cardio, my body started to look so bad as I reached a smaller weight. I was soft, losing curves, and had pretty much no muscle definition. Without lifting I was skinny fat and very unhappy with my body. It wasn't until I started lifting that I really started transforming my body. My butt got rounder and my boobs became perkier from the muscle building underneath. My shoulders and back started looking awesome.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options

Really?
    Who are they?
    I haven't seen any of this on this forum, especially the "cardio is bad".

I guess you missed the "running makes you fat" thread monolith.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    This fear of bulking disappoints me so much. When I was ONLY doing cardio, my body started to look so bad as I reached a smaller weight. I was soft, losing curves, and had pretty much no muscle definition. Without lifting I was skinny fat and very unhappy with my body. It wasn't until I started lifting that I really started transforming my body. My butt got rounder and my boobs became perkier from the muscle building underneath. My shoulders and back started looking awesome.
    im glad ur happy. it all depends what kind of body u want. having muscles does not make one healthy. its about being active and having a bodyfat in the healthy range. people on this site tend push weight lifting.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    im glad ur happy. it all depends what kind of body u want. having muscles does not make one healthy. its about being active and having a bodyfat in the healthy range. people on this site tend push weight lifting.

There are no words :noway: