Vegan Cat help!!

Options

Replies

• LNRansom
    LNRansom Posts: 4
    Options
    To be honest if you are insistant on a vegan diet for the whole family then you would be better off rehoming the cat before you kill it. Get a rabbit instead.

Taurine is vital for heart function and eyesight in cats and they need meat in order get the right amount.

Don't get me started on forcing vegan lifestyles on other pets and children. Children have been removed from families in the past by social workers and those families have been charged with neglect. Those children were underweight, malnourished and ended up in foster care.

It's all well and good changing for ethical reasons however don't put your family and pets at risk.

Also you can't claim to care for your cat by forcing it (as a carnivore) to go vegan. Even knowing the risks.

I hope for your sake that this is an April fools joke.

Vegans claim to be caring, but no truelly caring person ever forces a lifestyle on someone/something else at the expense of their own health. This is why I hate animal rights groups (which are nothing more than anti-human hate groups) as a whole.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Please tell me this is an April fools joke. I work at a pet store and had a million hours worth of training through a vet, cats eat meat. They do make vegan dog food, but not cat.
    Why is ok for dogs to be vegan, but not cats? Thats seems a little discriminatory if you ask me.

People don't care about equality! It's sad really.
  • LNRansom
    LNRansom Posts: 4
    Options
    Stick to dry cat food if anything. The meat content in most commercial brands can barely be considered meat anyway. :S
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Please tell me this is an April fools joke. I work at a pet store and had a million hours worth of training through a vet, cats eat meat. They do make vegan dog food, but not cat.

I'm calling... someone!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Because they are different species. Dogs and Humans both have the ability to process and combine amino acids to create complete proteins. Cats do not. :)
    Genetic variation is no excuse for double-standards or discrimination. You can't choose the genes or chromosomes you're born with.
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One of the best cat foods you can buy is enova EVO look it up online. Cats are do not thrive on wheat or gluten produst. Either that or homemake a mixture of ground rabbit, lamb, pork, and throw it in a bowl. I understand your reasons for being vegan but you have to have read a biology book at SOME point during your existence. If not go to the nearest high school or community college before your cat gets deathly sick. I hope the best for you all.
  • KatieSChaisemom
    Options
    Whole foods is a grocery store catering to people like you lady! Geesh where do you live under a rock?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Whole foods is a grocery store catering to people like you lady! Geesh where do you live under a rock?

Hmm???

(...under a rock, indeed.)
  • KatieSChaisemom
    Options
    The OP is obviously a control freak who is too weak and narrow minded to follow her own diet so now everyone in the house including the cat must be vegan. It shows how little she cares about anyone. It is sad because even though it is POSSIBLE she is subjecting her growing kids to it as well. They should eat whatever they want until they are grown enough and old enough to make their decision I just hope she is not feeding them soy as the recent studies show hormone imbalances in children, and for goodness sakes she needs to go cook her husband a steak for being tortured that way. I couldn't imagine my hard working meat eating his entire life husband coming home and I feed him a bowl of salad just because I do. My man deserves that steak. The day he asks me for some Bok Choy is the day he will get it. OP I advise you to do as you wish but not force your lifestyle on others. It is like people who do not date interacially telling others not to marry interaccially, or a person of specific religion condemming a a different religion all because of their choices. I have to agree with the other lady on here. I eat like a rabbit but my family makes their own decisions and we are all happy. Feed your cat meat your cruel cruel lady.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The OP is obviously a control freak who is too weak and narrow minded to follow her own diet so now everyone in the house including the cat must be vegan. It shows how little she cares about anyone. It is sad because even though it is POSSIBLE she is subjecting her growing kids to it as well. They should eat whatever they want until they are grown enough and old enough to make their decision I just hope she is not feeding them soy as the recent studies show hormone imbalances in children, and for goodness sakes she needs to go cook her husband a steak for being tortured that way. I couldn't imagine my hard working meat eating his entire life husband coming home and I feed him a bowl of salad just because I do. My man deserves that steak. The day he asks me for some Bok Choy is the day he will get it. OP I advise you to do as you wish but not force your lifestyle on others. It is like people who do not date interacially telling others not to marry interaccially, or a person of specific religion condemming a a different religion all because of their choices. I have to agree with the other lady on here. I eat like a rabbit but my family makes their own decisions and we are all happy. Feed your cat meat your cruel cruel lady.

Emphasized and quoted for posterity.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    How would you like it if one morning the cat announced that due to his ethical concerns over the lives off plants you would now be eating a diet of nothing but mice, rabbits, birds and the odd blade of grass to help you digest the hair you licked off your *kitten*? He's only doing this for your own good because hey, he feels great eating that diet.

Totally ludicrous to assume that what makes you feel better carries over onto another species. You probably wouldn't want to be in water all day so are you going to put your fish out on the table to dry out because it will feel better? For that matter, why are you trapping and keeping an animal in your home? Let it run free to enjoy life as intended, not as your pet slave for your enjoyment.

WOW!

I really feel like I am being attacked here!

First of all I'm not the one killing innocent creatures.

Second, the diet that you said my cat would force me to eat. Is that paleo?

Also, I'm a responsible pet owner. I'm not going to let Nadia run around the neighborhood to kill innocent creatures or even worse, get killed herself!

There's nothing worse for the future of the environment and the survival of our species than people such as you who are SO disconnected from our planet and how life works. Have you ever heard of the "nutrient cycle"? Life CANNOT exist without death. That's a reality. There is nothing more hypocritical than wanting to protect only animals with faces, and soil organisms and watersheds be damned. (Wait, dont fish have faces?)

It's far past time that you learn about where your food comes from, how it is cultivated and where the nutrients and water come from to produce it. Vegan food (specifically grains and soy) carries a higher death toll than balanced farming practices that produce both animals and plants. So, yes, you are killing many innocent creatures. I somewhat understand when people have been tricked into thinking a vegan diet is healthier but to pretend it's so much more ethical, and everyone else is "killing innocent creatures". Yeah, I want to attack you.

As everyone is pointing out, feeding a carnivore a vegan diet is NOT ethical. I would argue, after reading so much first-hand experience from vegans, that you are harming your children too. But I guess that's your "choice". I really hope that you can take a look in the mirror and address your own issues instead of distracting yourself with how unethical everyone else is and how righteous you are. The world really doesn't need more people like that.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

really, a MILLION hours, really? :huh:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

That's dedication, right there.
  • Biitchstix
    Options
    I had a dog that was pretty much a vegan, (he had horrible allergies and his body couldn't handle meat/dairy, trust me when I say we tried). We used to use rice as a base in his food and then add in fresh veggies and nuts.
    We also used to feed him food from the bag (depending on how sensitive his body was at the time, it varied).This brand: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/default.aspx makes a GREAT veggie dog food so if they have a cat option then that might be something for you to consider.

Good luck!
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I hope this is an april fools thing, cause that poor cat needs meat!
    Their carnivores by nature and refusing to feed it meat will result in health issues and expensive vet bills.
    I really think this is a joke, but honestly you can never tell with some people lol.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    Hello

Me and my family have recently decided to go vegan. It's been about one year now and so far we're all really enjoying it (the kids sometimes complain about the food lol). But the newest addition to our family, a six month old Munchkin named Nadia, absolutely refuses to adopt our vegan lifestyle. I've picked up a few recipes off the internet but she absolutely REFUSES to eat. My family and I are big into animal welfare and we just don't believe in harming other animals. Any ideas?

Here is what I'm feeding her now:

Deflated Soya 480 grams
    Wheat flour 160 gram
    Bajra flour 160 grams
    Maize flour 160 grams
    Edible oil 20 grams
    Skim milk (I substitute with alomonds!) powder 10 grams
    Dried yeast powder 5 grams
    Salt to taste

I then make it into a dough and place it in the oven and make it into biscuits.

Please tell me you're a troll. Cats are carnivores and can not safely survive on a vegan diet. Their entire digestive system is designed to eat meat and organs. It's a bit like asking you to eat only dirt and expecting you to be healthy from that, there is little to no nutrients that you could absorb from an all dirt diet, the same for a cat on a vegan or even vegetarian diet. humans can go Vegan. Cats can not.

If you are unable to give your cat the proper diet she requires to survive, please consider finding her a new home where she will be properly and ethically cared for.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    There's nothing worse for the future of the environment and the survival of our species than people such as you who are SO disconnected from our planet and how life works. Have you ever heard of the "nutrient cycle"? Life CANNOT exist without death. That's a reality. There is nothing more hypocritical than wanting to protect only animals with faces, and soil organisms and watersheds be damned. (Wait, dont fish have faces?)

It's far past time that you learn about where your food comes from, how it is cultivated and where the nutrients and water come from to produce it. Vegan food (specifically grains and soy) carries a higher death toll than balanced farming practices that produce both animals and plants. So, yes, you are killing many innocent creatures. I somewhat understand when people have been tricked into thinking a vegan diet is healthier but to pretend it's so much more ethical, and everyone else is "killing innocent creatures". Yeah, I want to attack you.

As everyone is pointing out, feeding a carnivore a vegan diet is NOT ethical. I would argue, after reading so much first-hand experience from vegans, that you are harming your children too. But I guess that's your "choice". I really hope that you can take a look in the mirror and address your own issues instead of distracting yourself with how unethical everyone else is and how righteous you are. The world really doesn't need more people like that.

:noway: :noway: :noway:
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    \ They should eat whatever they want until they are grown enough and old enough to make their decision

...I understand what you are getting at, but ^ isn't eating whatever you want the same as making your own decision?

Also, this whole thread I'm pretty sure is a joke..Haven't you noticed theres a lot about cats on the forums today?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Whoah! That's a bit rude. Let me guess, you've never been abroad? I've never heard of Whole Foods so I'm assuming that it's a store in the US? Hint: not everyone on this forum lives in the US.
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Dear Cros,

As you friend, I need to be honest with you. I've kept this to myself for quite some time for fear of hurting your feelings. Your puss-y needs meat to function optimally. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but meat substitutes just don't do the trick.

:):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: