Myth: women can't bulk up

Options

Replies

• wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up.

So what do you train like, OP? What are girls "supposed to" train like rather than training "like a man?" I wasn't aware there are different ways to train for men and women.

ETA: Just because she doesn't take steroids specifically doesn't mean she doesn't take testosterone to look the way she does.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry no one is going to mistake this junk in the trunk for a man or call me manly no matter how big my biceps get.
    it is not even a concern on my radar.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaand APRIL FOOLS!!! No? Ok. This kinda makes me want to post a "I'm only eating 700 calories and never eat back exercise calories, why aren't I losing weight?" thread, just because people get so riled up! Y'all are funny, have a great day!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

I totally get what you're saying. They also lie about BF% and that in order to look ripped, most women will lose their curves unless they get cosmetic surgery. And, IMO, augmentation + low BF% is positively freaky looking. But that's all part of the "cardio is bad, lifting heavy is good" tunnel vision.

Really?
    Who are they?
    I haven't seen any of this on this forum, especially the "cardio is bad".

I guess you missed the "running makes you fat" thread monolith.

Yeah I did.
    But I have seen plenty of other threads here and know a lot of the "heavy lifting" people also do cardio, not all but some. The only time I have seen people say not to do cardio is when someone is trying to bulk. I have seen people say it isn't necessary, which it isn't.

I've also seen tons of "am I going to lose my breasts" or "how do I keep my boobs" threads and no one omits that fact that when you lose body fat, you will also likely lose in the chest as well. How much depends on the person. At a low body fat I still didn't go below a C, no surgery required.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This fear of bulking disappoints me so much. When I was ONLY doing cardio, my body started to look so bad as I reached a smaller weight. I was soft, losing curves, and had pretty much no muscle definition. Without lifting I was skinny fat and very unhappy with my body. It wasn't until I started lifting that I really started transforming my body. My butt got rounder and my boobs became perkier from the muscle building underneath. My shoulders and back started looking awesome.
    im glad ur happy. it all depends what kind of body u want. having muscles does not make one healthy. its about being active and having a bodyfat in the healthy range. people on this site tend push weight lifting.

marking this down as the oddest response in a very odd thread
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    WHO THE F CARES!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

I totally get what you're saying. They also lie about BF% and that in order to look ripped, most women will lose their curves unless they get cosmetic surgery. And, IMO, augmentation + low BF% is positively freaky looking. But that's all part of the "cardio is bad, lifting heavy is good" tunnel vision.

Really?
    Who are they?

seems you are carrying a lot of pent up pain from a lot of threads that have offended your sensibilities in the past. probably not ideal to launch into every new thread with some attack you wish you had said in another thread. i read a ton of threads on this site and remember the Running Makes You Fat thread, which was pretty much shot down by everyone. the other two threads that touched you in a bad spot i have never heard of.

let it go.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If she hasn't done steroids I'll eat my shoe. Maybe not currently, but in the past.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Speaking a a woman who has a natural tendency to bulk... I choose this! My other option (and how I lived several years of my life) is to be obese. Not to mention... you're only as 'manly' as you make yourself regardless of how much muscle you have. How many skinny girls have you met who are tom-boys. I've met tons! Same hair and make-up routine as most and I'm still magically able to fit in with the rest of female society. Oh darn... I hope they don't kick me out after reading this!

Is it the prefered body type for all? Is it sexy to all men? No. But neither is being a bean pole or a curvy girl. Variety is the spice of life and we get to choose our own flavor!
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has pointed this out, that some women can bulk up easily, and she is one of them, so she does not lift heavy weights and she has to watch what she does and how she eats so she does not bulk up.

I recently heard something about her martial arts mentor outing her as having used steroids in her life, so I wouldn't say she's the best example either. :/
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Speaking a a woman who has a natural tendency to bulk... I choose this! My other option (and how I lived several years of my life) is to be obese. Not to mention... you're only as 'manly' as you make yourself regardless of how much muscle you have. How many skinny girls have you met who are tom-boys. I've met tons! Same hair and make-up routine as most and I'm still magically able to fit in with the rest of female society. Oh darn... I hope they don't kick me out after reading this!

Is it the prefered body type for all? Is it sexy to all men? No. But neither is being a bean pole or a curvy girl. Variety is the spice of life and we get to choose our own flavor!
    this^^^^
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

this^^^^

Definitely! In 50 years or fewer we might have a whole different aesthetic. But let's be honest with women who for whatever reason don't want to get bigger and ask if heavy weights might have that effect.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyuqkcgbhV1qfqkngo1_400.jpg

Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up.

you think she is natural?! hahaha! oh my..

She has been using exogenous hormones for many years to hit a 551 bench. I will guarantee you that for many periods in her lifting career she had a higher testosterone count than the average male. In addition to the other chemicals in her system.

No woman ever got truly large and bulky (perspective is individual of course, so this is my opinion) while being somewhat lean without exogenous hormones. Ever.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options

Really?
    Who are they?

Yeah I did.
    But I have seen plenty of other threads here and know a lot of the "heavy lifting" people also do cardio, not all but some. The only time I have seen people say not to do cardio is when someone is trying to bulk. I have seen people say it isn't necessary, which it isn't.

I've also seen tons of "am I going to lose my breasts" or "how do I keep my boobs" threads and no one omits that fact that when you lose body fat, you will also likely lose in the chest as well. How much depends on the person. At a low body fat I still didn't go below a C, no surgery required.

But the thing is that you can say that about every form of exercise, none of it is truly "necessary." It all really depends on what one is after. Cardio is good for your heart. Strength training is good for your bones. Stretching is good for increasing your flexibility. And on, and on.

I went from around 21% body fat to about 18% and also stayed a C. But I'd be lying to say that I haven't lost fullness. I don't know what your body fat % is but if you are down in the body building competition range and you didn't lose a cup size or two (or three) then you are a very lucky, and rare, woman.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

this^^^^

Definitely! In 50 years or fewer we might have a whole different aesthetic. But let's be honest with women who for whatever reason don't want to get bigger and ask if heavy weights might have that effect.

Please stop with your alarmist nonsense. Have you not noticed the OP has been completely debunked? Entire thread was created about a women that used years of juicing to look that way and achieve those lifts. Go away

What is your problem? Sorry, I don't have time to read every single post in this thread to which I previously contributed.

You have no right to address another forum member in this tone. Furthermore, my comments were not "alarmist."
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options

Really?
    Who are they?

seems you are carrying a lot of pent up pain from a lot of threads that have offended your sensibilities in the past. probably not ideal to launch into every new thread with some attack you wish you had said in another thread. i read a ton of threads on this site and remember the Running Makes You Fat thread, which was pretty much shot down by everyone. the other two threads that touched you in a bad spot i have never heard of.

let it go.

LOL. I think you have me wrongly pegged. And, FTR, I was not attacking the OP, I was agreeing with her.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I really have no idea what you are talking about. Are you for it, or against it?

I am FOR weight lifting for women, but I am against the belief that there;s not way in hell women can look manly

She still looks like a woman with large arm and chest muscles to me. I didn't see an Adam's apple or pants bulge in any of the pictures.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    I really have no idea what you are talking about. Are you for it, or against it?

I am FOR weight lifting for women, but I am against the belief that there;s not way in hell women can look manly

She still looks like a woman with large arm and chest muscles to me. I didn't see an Adam's apple or pants bulge in any of the pictures.

She has a pronounced brow ridge and mandibles which are both beginning signs of agromegally (caused by too much growth hormone) also, there are anabolic steroids that do not have androgenic tendencies and thus do not cause virilization in women (the most popular being boldenone and nandrolone)
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i knew it was true!! thanks for posting OP!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    eh, boobs are overrated.