At what age do you draw the line on being a bridesmaid?

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I would do it at any age for one of my best friends. I would tell anyone who falls outside of the "best friend" category no at any age.

SO, you would be my best man?

No, I am lacking the proper equipment.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My thought process is, if they're your good friends or family/in-laws you're close with, you should suck it up and be there for them on their big day and the events leading up to. Regardless of age.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    My sister is getting married on Friday the 13th - Sept this year and I am a bridesmaid. Not sure if I'm happy about it or am dreading it but she's my sister and she was in mine in 2010....so maybe I'll opt out after this? Unless someone bats their eyelashes at me and asks real nice....

<sigh>

I'm such a pushover.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    if someone asked me i'd do it, but i have to have a say on how my dress is made.
  • Biitchstix
    Options
    I'm only in college and I'm honestly not sure I'd be able to do it, I did once get up and read a bible verse at my cousins wedding when I was about 12 but even that left me cringing a bit :/ (Partly because I'm and atheist but mostly just because the whole tradition seems so forced imo). The idea of stuffing myself into a tacky dress and having to put up with all the prep work/photos etc. is just no...
    but then again I know being in their 60's who LOVE being in wedding and can't understand why I don't even want to have one so I think it just depends more on the person then the age.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    So? Is it an honor for someone to ask/want another person to be in their wedding. I guess it's a balance between your feelings and theirs. NOW, Me, I was asked by My Sister to be in her wedding and I refused...her husband to be was a dog, had another woman pregnant and just a no class dude. My Mom agreed with Me and said she was glad that I was upholding the family name. SOOO, it IS a decision and YOUR feeling are to be considered. Yeah, at some point the "thrill" is gone, like going to an Amusement Park...if you have been to a few, by the time you are 40 you kinda realize that Disney World/Land is just another one.
  • BklynEibhlin
    BklynEibhlin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would say yes because someone who thinks enough of me to ask me to be in their wedding party is probably someone I consider worth me wearing a tacky dress. No one, NO ONE is worth me ever wearing dyeable shoes though. I don't know how many weddings I've been in. A quick guess is 8. Four sisters, four friends. I think that's correct.

As far as being a happy bridesmaid at my age (39), I think it all depends on how age appropriate the bride is willing to go. I'm a big fan of dark/neutral (navy, pewter, mocha) colors and classic style, knee-length dresses for the mature bridesmaid. Ann Taylor actually has a nice selection. I like the idea of picking a color and designer so there's a similar look uniting the bridal party, but then letting everyone pick their own style. You get a little more personality from your party that way, and each person gets to be as comfortable or sexy as they want to be. I pray the one friend who is planning a wedding will change her mind about only having her sister as a maid of honor, no bridesmaids. She's buying her sister silver Louboutins for being in her wedding. I'll jump right into that wedding party! :bigsmile:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I love weddings and parties!! I will forever be anyones' bridesmaid that asks me to. But, I love that cheesy shit.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I think as soon as I start to have kids. I think I would have too much going on with my child to focus on any sort of wedding. All 3 of my bridesmaids are older than myself, with the youngest being 27 and the oldest being 34. Two are family on my fiance's side (his sister, 29 and his cousin, 34). That said, my bridesmaids dresses are super flattering and they all love them.

OH NO! Dont be that crazy lady.

People that only focus on their children are kind of pathetic if you ask me. There is putting your kid first(which is responsible parenting) and then there is putting your child only. That is just sad. Kids leave...........
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think as soon as I start to have kids. I think I would have too much going on with my child to focus on any sort of wedding. All 3 of my bridesmaids are older than myself, with the youngest being 27 and the oldest being 34. Two are family on my fiance's side (his sister, 29 and his cousin, 34). That said, my bridesmaids dresses are super flattering and they all love them.

Children don't require that much effort. :huh: I have 3 of them. I was in my sister's wedding a couple of weeks ago. I sewed my own dress and two flower girl dresses.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    There is an age limit to being a bride's maid? Bride's maids still wear taffeta and up-do's? :huh:

Guess I am going to the wrong weddings.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This makes me want a wedding even less!

I don't want to torment some woman my age.

That said, I'm ultra careful not to find ugly dresses...
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think age is irrelevant, but the dress should be age appropriate.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Well Im getting married again within a year and Im in my late 40's. My matron of honor just died (age 47) suddenly in Feburary and her husband is going to stand in for her at my wedding. My other maid of honor is 48. So guess we are going to be really unusual because I will have a man of honor now and a maid of honor!

i'm sorry for your loss and that's a beautiful way to still incorporate her.

I have been a bridesmaid 3 times...I could do without doing it again.....

but that being said, if someone really close to me asked I probably would do it again...

i myself will never put someone through that....
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Seems like setting an age limit means you just don't want to do anyway. So why not just say " No, thank you. can I help out some other way?"
    or even "No thanks, I hope it's lovely anyway"
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Do you have an age where you can't imagine being a bridesmaid in a full on, big puffy white dress, 250 guests, formal wedding? Have you ever said no to someone?

Why is the brides maid wearing a puffy white dress? Shouldn't it be teal or coral? Or powder blue? If anyone other than the bride wears a white puffy dress, there is sure to be a cat fight.

I think she was describing the style of wedding, as in, "A full-on, bride in a big puffy white dress, 250 guests in attendance, formal wedding," as opposed to a smaller, more intimate wedding with a smaller budget. I'm not sure what that has to do with it, though, as I've been to some lovely, small weddings that were just as classy as the big blow-outs.
  • metermaid11
    metermaid11 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have never been a Bridesmaid sadly. All of my friends and family either eloped or had small weddings with no wedding party.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think the days of all the bridesmaids being matchy-matchy are long gone. Robo-maids with the same dress, shoes, updo, and jewelry are sort of out of style and make me think of the 1980s.

Now, it's more of a "trend" to give the bridesmaids a color and fabric preference and let them order dresses in a style that suits them. Or, the bride will still pick the dresses, but then the bridesmaids wear whatever shoes, jewelry, hair accessory (if any) that they want. I've seen some weddings where the bridesmaids are in the same dress but have on different styles of shoes (all the same color), and I've seen some where the bridesmaids are in varying shades and fabrics in the same color spectrum. Heck, I've even seen different colors altogether. I think it looks nice and keeps the ladies looking like individuals instead of robots.

Here's an example of different dresses in complementing colors:

mismatched-bridesmaids-greys-13.jpg

Here's an example of the same dress but in different colors. I really like this one because they're all jewel tones, and the colors look great:

mismatched-bridesmaids-dresses-2.jpg

Here's an example of doing it wrong (completely different styles (ruffles/no ruffles), and the various shades of green clash with each other). It looks like the bar on St. Patrick's Day.

green-bridesmaid-dress-ideas.jpg
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I would do it at any age for one of my best friends. I would tell anyone who falls outside of the "best friend" category no at any age.

SO, you would be my best man?

No, I am lacking the proper equipment.

You can rent a tux.