WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
Welcome to the thread that changed my life. The title is “Women Ages 50+” but all women are welcome. We provide support and encouragement to each other by checking in regularly and sharing our successful and not so successful experiences.
The beginning of the month always feels like a clean piece of paper for making a clean start……how did you do with your goals for June? Even if June wasn’t a banner month for you, this is the chance to make a new beginning. Many of us like to set goals for the new month and put the goals in our signatures so all of us can see them.

Some of us set weight loss goals (lose 4 pounds) others set behavioral goals (burn 400 exercise calories a day) and others set attitude goals (stay positive). If a month long goal seems daunting, try a daily or weekly goal or read the thread for a few days and see what goals others are setting and get some good ideas for yourself.
I can’t wait to hear what everyone has to say……….:smile::smile: :smile: :smile:

Happy Canada Day :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Replies

• Sambrielle
    Sambrielle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbie-
    Congrats on the 72 lbs. shed! I have just started this site this past week. It is a great tool and keeps me on track.
    Look forward to reading more posts.
    Cyndi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Welcome, Cyndi, if you check back on this thread tomorrow you will meet some of the finest women in the world.....we would love to have you be part of our great and supportive community:drinker:
  • DJDUFFY
    DJDUFFY Posts: 98
    Options
    I am 41 years old and it is going on my 9th day.So far i lost 6 LBS.I hope July will be better for all of us trying to shed the pounds.July 4th will be hard cause i am going to a cookout but i will watch what i eat and maybe smaller portions.Fell free to add me if anybody wants. :wink:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Well, here I sit wide awake and it's after 1 am. :grumble: DH is in bed and I feel like I'm just starting the day. Not good.

Mimi - glad to hear you got your thumb looked after. I know that hurts - not good to look down and see bone. :noway:

Rebel - Happy late birthday! :drinker:

I think I'll get in my jammies and find a boring book to read. Maybe that will put me to sleep.

Oh, goals for June were met for the most part. I drank my 8 glasses of water, stayed with the exercise program I had laid out except I found an excuse many days not to do the water exercises. So, for July I will do better with that. I also lost 4 pounds this month. That wasn't a listed goal but sure glad I squeaked in with a pound a week. I think I will keep my goals the same for July and add no eating after 9 pm, which is reasonable for me as bedtime is hardly ever before midnight.

Faye
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cyndi and DJ! Barbie thanks as always for your shining leadership.

Goals... Journaling yes. Fun activity: mostly. Lenten Lifestyle 50-50. Gutt'n'but: flopped after 2 weeks.
    Blame it on the slugs in the strawberries!

Gratitudes: 1-New day, new month, fresh start. 2-waistband feels looser despite everything 3-DH the best husband in the world.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good Morning

Just posting a quickie so I can find you all later :bigsmile: and to say I have lost at least 1lb scales this morning said 10 stone 4 and a bit :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

catch you later

Viv :heart: :heart:
  • Chrissie_B
    Chrissie_B Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I joined this week and think it's a great aide to motivation. I love how we can come here and motivate each other and share our trials and tribulations. Our health is the best reason to lose weight and fitting into clothes better us a great added bonus. Girl power !!!! We can do it !!! And if any guys sneak in here we can show them how as we're lovely with it ///(^_^)\\\. Lol. Have a great day ladies and try to pamper yourself today, maybe try a new nail polish or some delicious smelling body lotion for your legs ...
  • ainslieglen
    ainslieglen Posts: 110
    Options
    Hi everyone:flowerforyou:

Just jumping in to make sure I find you tomorrow. Hope you sleep well my friends......I wish I could call for a group hug!!!:noway:
    Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian mfp pals:smile: ainslieglen
  • ThaiKaren
    ThaiKaren Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi there I'm 53. I joined this site a week ago and it's wonderful. I've been yo yo dieting for the last 3 years and I just want to get to my goal weight and stay there. I want to cut down on the alcohol for this month as it's bad for my motivation and gives me the munchies.
    I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin and be able to run around after the Grandchildren when I next see them. Karen x
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Happy July!

Renny, I hope you had a great birthday.

Mimi, glad you got your thumb looked at. It makes me feel queasy just thinking about it!

Robin, how is Keira? (and Bodi of course - don't want him to feel left out!)

Linda, it sounds like you are a busy lady!

Barb, hope you are feeling better now.

Faye, you made my eyes pop with the deer butchering!!

Jackie, I'm with you on the water phobia. I just pray that I can finally overcome it. I would love to be able to swim - even if it's not in a very elegant manner.

Jeannie, re the depression. My kitchen sink is always clean, but my dishwasher is always full! Not sure if that counts.

To everyone else, sorry if I missed you out - the old mind isn't as sharp as it used to be.

Hello to the newcomers too.

My June goals were all met and I also managed to get my seventy pounds off marker (yay!) As for my July goals, they are pretty much the same really, although I'm upping my daily exercise minimum to forty minutes. Speaking of which, I should really get on the treadmill before I go to pick up my step-grandson for our 'date'.

Have a wonderful day ladies and a fabulous month xx
  • PamelaHoneyHuggy
    PamelaHoneyHuggy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone. I joined last month. My goal was 10 lbs for June. I had lost 9lbs. Then got up to weigh this Morning and have gained 3lbs. I was so close. This is a new month and my goal is 8lbs. I love this site. The people are real and they are so encourging. Well hope everyone has a very blessed month. Moving on to next goal.......... :)
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone ...just checking in for July to mark the spot.
    I'll be back later no doubt ...see you all then.
    BFN
    :heart: Jackie
  • Sambrielle
    Sambrielle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there I'm 53. I joined this site a week ago and it's wonderful. I've been yo yo dieting for the last 3 years and I just want to get to my goal weight and stay there. I want to cut down on the alcohol for this month as it's bad for my motivation and gives me the munchies.
    I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin and be able to run around after the Grandchildren when I next see them. Karen x
    Go for the quitting smoking! You will feel soooo much better. I quit for my 40th b-day, after smoking for 20 years. I decided I'd rather keep my teeth and be able to walk without wheezing, than smoke. If you gain a few pounds...you can always lose them.
    I agree about the alcohol. I'd probably be thin if I didn't drink. The 4th weekend will be hard....everyone will be in 'party' mode.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all our new people! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: You have found the best thread on the web!

ThaiKaren--I'm with Cyndi on the smoking! I quit in April and I did put on a few pounds. It's been hard to get them off as smoking affects the metabolism but I feel SO much better and have so much more endurance! (I smell better, too! :laugh: ) I read that you would have to gain almost 100 pounds to offset the benefits of quitting smoking and we all know that won't happen! It's not easy but it is worth it.

Rainy here today. Time to get moving for the day. Have a wonderful July 1st, everyone!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    First, before I forget, Welcome to all of the newbies! Just jump right in with us!
    Now, what I came on here to tell you. Today is going to be a great day! Why, you might ask? Well, calm down and let me tell you! First I get up planning to go out and mow, which is fairly exciting, because our riding mower is finally working! Before I head out, I call my Mom on the new phone that I got yesterday, and find out she gets to go home from rehab today!!! She only had to stay two weeks instead of the 30-60 days that they predicted! She says that they still make her walk with the walker, but she is sure that she can walk with her cane again. She can't wait to get out of "jail". Thanks for all of your prayers and encouragement.
    Now I need to eat some oatmeal and head out to mow before it gets any hotter. Have a great Thursday, and here's to smart choices!
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Welcome, welcome welcome to all the newbies!!!!:flowerforyou: We are all like one big family,:love: posting and encouraging each other. As Mary said....jump right in!
    My goals for June were met.:bigsmile: For July I want to stay focused and NOT GAIN any weight. My weight is within a few lbs of my goal and I just bought summer clothes that are already starting to get too big! :noway: (I know....poor me:laugh: ) But seriously, I WOULD like to not have to buy more clothes for a little bit, at least through the summer. My size 10's are getting big, so I'm cooling it, by trying to maintain for a while.:wink:

2 daughters moving this weekend, plus a family cookout and baby shower!!!:noway: So I may seem...MIA but I am not!
    I am reading the post whenever I get a few minutes but can't seem to read them all due to my hectic schedule.:ohwell:

But know that I carry you all in my heart and pray for your strength and success with this new lifestyle!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

One day at a time!!!!!

God Bless!
    BirdieM:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • FitnessOver50
    Options
    For anyone who is really interested in making a change and making it permanent - consider hiring a trainer for three months. Learn what to do correctly and adopt the lifestyle change the trainer teaches you.

You will lose weight, increase strength and endurance. You will increase your life expectancy as well. But to do it right, you need to know what to do.

The money is well spent and the odds of success go up tremendously.

My wife and I know this from experience. She is 50 and I am 52.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to the newbies! Jumping right in is how it's done, and good luck with your July goals:drinker:

I'm really just marking this for later, as no time right now.

Have a great day All:drinker:

Happy Canada Day to our neighbors to the North:bigsmile:

:smile: Laura

PS Saturday I will post my July Goals
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!!

Welcome newbies. this is a thread of compassionate women from all backgrounds who have seen it and done it all. so much wisdom and advice here to help you on your journey. I couldn't do it without them. :love:

So Keira came thru surgery with flying colors. she is sore and whinning a little but she is such a trooper. Last night we put the "cone of shame" (an e collar) on her when she went to bed. she hated it. I slept on the floor with her for about an hour and I thought she would stay down. Well she got up and went downstairs with the cone on. Bodi thought she must have been an alien dog. He was barking hystericaly with his hackles raised and being such a big dog. DH had to take the cone off Keira in order to get him to stop. It was so funny.:laugh: :laugh: In the end we all went to bed and slept thru the night.

My goal for July is to get solidly into the 140's and head into the 130's, keep up with my exercise, keep up with no alcohol during the week and drinking copius amounts of water.

Have a happy Thursday.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I see that I was all mixed up about Renny's b'day - so thanks everyone for getting me back in line. 59 is a great year...and so will be this next year when you're working on 60! It's wonderful to see you feeling so good, Renny. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I think birthdays should be celebrated for at least a few weeks!

Mary, hurray for your mom coming home. She sounds like a feisty gal. Like anybody else I know?

Robin, I'm glad Keira came through so well. Funny that Bodi pup didn't recognize her with her collar on. That reminds me of my sisters dog getting freaked out when he saw himself in the mirror. :laugh:

Sometimes people don't know who we are either when we're wearing the extra weight. Losing it feels like revealing who I really am.

Welcome newbies. I second and third the motions that this is the best site on MFP and the most supportive bunch you'll find anywhere. This group has made a big difference in my life. :smooched: