My opinion (don't read if you're overly sensitive)

Options

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    lol @ caring what other people do with their lives.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    People who always have an excuse are just not ready. Sometimes, an excuse is valid but having one every day is not. We can't change them though. I have a stepdaughter who "wants" to lose weight(needs to lose 50 lbs) but is not willing to do what she needs to to make it happen. She is on WW but doesn't track everything or measure everything. She is busy at times but allows various excuses to get in the way of exercise. On Monday, she will say that she wants to go to the gym with me every day that week. By Friday, she has gone once or maybe twice. She is 17 so there is not much you can do and I definitely don't want to be the food police or want her to develop an eating disorder. She has a very slow metabolism and hypothyroidism. Those do work against her but I know she can still lose:( I've been in her shoes though. From age 13 through 21, I wanted to lose weight and tried at times but could never stick with it. I was not ready. I'm sure I had many excuses too. Right out of college is when I jumped feet first into creating new habits, following a weight loss plan and exercising regularly. I did not let excuses get in my way and the weight fell off. I maintained for 10 years and regained 20 of the 120lbs I had lost. I don't have any excuses for doing so except for having to give up running due to bad knees. But, I'm back! I found that my knees do allow me to do cardio just not running(if I'm careful) and I found mfp to help me track my calories.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    My ___________ is sabotaging me.
  • Blondie251975
    Blondie251975 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite is...."It is my TOM, and I feel bloated and have no energy....so I can't work out."....Toughen up!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Well, even though this topic is in motivation and support... I feel like this is more de-motivation :P

It's just some people have learned the difference between lifestyle and diet.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are busy making excuses, you just aren't ready. When I was finally ready, none of the excuses mattered. "my knees hurt" became "work through the pain". "I'm too tired" became "exercise and then take a nap". "I really want those cookies" became "walk away. It's easier to resist before you eat them". "I don't have time" became " make time". I have said it before and I will say it again. If you are trying to lose weight for anyone else or any other reason but for you, you will fail. It has to be for you and you alone. If it IS for you, you will succeed. That is all there is to it!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite is...."It is my TOM, and I feel bloated and have no energy....so I can't work out."....Toughen up!

Meh. Excruciating pain is what keeps me from exercising on the rag. But I get where it could be frustrating if someone decided to keep putting off starting a healthy lifestyle until the end of their next period.

I'm lucky - all of my overweight friends make no bones about the fact that they just don't want to put in the work. Even the ones who are misinformed still end the statement with "But I'm just too lazy right now." And we smile and laugh and they grab a doughnut and I grab an apple and everything's cool.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    What's interesting to me is when people ask random people if they should work out today. For example they state "I'm sore should I workout today?" Someone says "no" and they say "you're right I won't workout today!" Make your own decisions people!
  • RunningMum2017
    RunningMum2017 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Would recommend that you did not take on any job that involves supporting people in any way ....
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Would recommend that you did not take on any job that involves supporting people in any way ....

There is a difference in supporting and babysitting.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    "What's the point?"
    "The point is, you're fat"

That's the only one on your list I disagree with. So what if someone is fat? If that's their choice and they're happy with it, you can stfu.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I live in a flat, and I don't do CV exercises at home out of consideration for the neighbours below and their two small children. That actually seems a pretty reasonable, pro-social attitude to me.

Doesn't stop me cycling or walking everywhere or going to the gym, obviously...
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Word.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Having been through major depressive disorder (among other mental illnesses) from 1999-2001, I can vouch for the fact that if a person is truly depressed, exercise ain't gonna happen, and it is not just a matter of "sucking it up". It may be a psychological disorder, but it has a very real physical impact, as do the meds. Which sucks, because exercise is one of the best natural antidepressants.

For the rest, I understand how frustrating it is to see people use excuses, particularly if they are friends who won't stop complaining about their own unhealthy nature in the first place...but as others have said, they just aren't ready yet. I try to be patient, but sometimes I just want to shake them and scream.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    As someone who has struggled with depression for years, and takes medication for it, exercise does make you feel better. I've been able to lower the amount of medication I take by working out, so although I wouldn't tell someone to "suck it up", I would tell them that exercise has been shown to work as well as some meds, without the negative side effects. So depression is just one more reason someone should work out.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Aside from telling someone who is depressed to "suck it up", I agree with it all.

This.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I think it is just the human condition that we all want to be comfortable and have things easy. Doing things that require work or effort can be unpleasant. Anyone ever study "The Pleasure Principle" from Freud? Whether you like Freud or not doesn't matter, so don't anyone take this off course.

Basically, I think we all prefer pleasurable experiences over non pleasurable ones. Seems like a no brainer. Taking control of your health can require work, dedication, study. It's far more fun to eat with abandon and sleep on/off all day, no? Til we get to the point where we know we need to make a change, and have that willingness to do it, then excuses will abound.

Think of going on a job interview. Most of us would say that that is unpleasant, uncomfortable, nerve wrecking. BUT we do it if we really want a job. Being able to have a roof over your head can be a powerful motivator. Maybe that is what happens when someone finally decides to lose weight and take charge of their health: they are tired of being sick, tired, weak, not looking great, etc. Til someone gets to that point, the excuses will continue.

OP, you are taking charge of yourself which is wonderful. How many excuses have you made in life? Plenty I bet as have I. Sometimes I feel just like you do about other people, but sometimes I have compassion for them.Yes, I tend to waffle back and forth on this. I am not sure why. Sometimes I think it depends on who it is that is making the "excuses". Sometimes, the "excuses" are weak, some are heartbreaking. I don't know.

Time to go exercise, sorry for rambling.
  • TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm on my own path, I don't care about anyone elses diet, motivation, workout routine, etc....
    Maybe you are putting a little too much thought into it....
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. What annoys me is our (as a species) over-reliance on Gyms. Or "working out".

What we need is a more active lifestyle. Sedentary lifestyles and inactivity are one of the global causes of death and disability. And yet we drive our cars half a mile to the shops, drive our children to school and take the lift at work.

(http://www.sustrans.org.uk/assets/files/AT/Promotional leaflets/General AT information leaflet_final.pdf a useful bit of information about active lifestyles)

This especially relates to people who are hugely overweight. If they could replace all their journeys under 5 miles with walking and cycling, take the lift or get off the bus one stop earlier, they would make a huge difference to their health and wellbeing. Gyms are all well and good (if you like that sort of thing) but they can be elitist, cliquey and scary for some people. Walking is free, and a great way to get your 30 minutes of "moderate" exercise a day, and yet we are still yelling "GYMGYMGYM" in people's faces. Taking up a new sport, or a workout regime is quite scary for some people and can be very hard to stick to. I know so many people with unused gym memberships. However, taking up walking or cycling for short journeys or leisure is much less intimidating, much cheaper and more accessible to many people.
This discussion has been closed.