Cheat days - Worst idea ever

Options

Replies

• shirdiana
    shirdiana Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I want to learn how to eat like a normal person, I don't want to diet! I want to make a lifestyle change, I want to be able to go to a holiday dinner or birthday party and not feel like I am cheating on my diet! So portion control is what I need to learn! As far as a cheat day, whatever works for you! We each have to find our own way, what works for one person, may not work for another. Unfortunately it's usually by trial and error, as is life!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually most people who are successful at being in recovery from alcohol DO go to support groups. It's clear your knowledge of addiction, no matter the substance, is limited. Harm reduction is a model, however research has shown that while it may effective in the short term that it is not effective in the long term.

Being an alcoholic is *nothing* like eating too much food very day. Nothing at all.

Having a physical addiction is a completely separate issue from struggling with a bad habit.

Food Addiction exists.

It's not a physical addiction.

Yes, it is.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. The only withdrawal syndrome that's comes with refraining from eating is death from starvation.

Alcoholism vs. food "addiction" = apples vs. oranges
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    u
    I don't understand the concept of 'cheat days'. Whoever made the term up and promoted the idea has a lot to answer for.

I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it. I personally dont think going over calories on ANY day while staying within your weekly calorie goal is a cheat... that's just balancing your calorie intake over a week. But for the life of me I can't understand why someone would be on a 'diet' but set aside a day where they can eat whatever they want and think they are 'entitled' to it because they've been 'so good'. I mean who are they kidding?? Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

Look... I know this post will have already come across as all 'judgemental' but if there's any 'cheat day' advocates out there I'd love you to explain to me why cheat days are a good idea and how cheat days don't become 'cheat weeks' and how cheat weeks don't become blown diets.

I've never understood it either. You're setting yourself up to fail because you likely will overeat. I make an exception for major holidays and family birthdays, but don't consider them cheat days.
  • Ntsocial
    Ntsocial Posts: 2
    Options
    It's weird to call them cheat days. There's no test, nobody's giving me a grade, I'm doing this for me. There are days where I realize I'm not going to be under my goal. That's life and I'm not going to get too hung up on it. One a week isn't going to kill me. I'm still making progress and I still make sure I record even on the days where I don't make the goal.

Have I ducked outside for fifteen minutes extra with the jump rope if I'm over but still close, or if I want another beer? Sure. But I'm not going to obsess about it if I'm a couple hundred calories over occasionally. I'm making smarter choices and the information on this site/app are more clearly reminding me of where the dangerously high calories are, but if I can't enjoy myself, I'm probably not going to stick with it.

I eat what I want. But I know what the consequences of that are.

Also, back into size thirty four pants as of today.
  • jackedphilosopher
    Options
    My diet is so clean six out of seven days of the week that I feel (and know) that one day a week I can have a meal or two that isn't so healthy. I have been doing this for months and continue to see improvements in my body as I move forward. I like eating healthy but it is always nice to have pizza or something like that if I am feeling in the mood for it once a week. "Fat guy" saturdays - best idea ever :glasses:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I try not to do cheat days and include my favorite foods within my calorie limit. I have found that if I don't let myself have an occasional pizza slice, ice cream cone, or chocolate bar I'm going to go overboard and totally binge.
  • heyitsadam
    heyitsadam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Can't say I disagree with the concept or the logic....

However, one meal a week, I don't "log" into MFP. It's usually the post-church trip to Red Robin.
  • losingit413
    losingit413 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree. I feel terrible when I use a cheat day because I eat high sugar foods. I never realized how bad they made me feel before I quit eating them. I also have a hard time getting back on track and crave sugary foods for a few days after eating them. It is just easier to stick to healthy eating and feeling good.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It's weird to call them cheat days. There's no test, nobody's giving me a grade, I'm doing this for me. There are days where I realize I'm not going to be under my goal. That's life and I'm not going to get too hung up on it. One a week isn't going to kill me. I'm still making progress and I still make sure I record even on the days where I don't make the goal.

Have I ducked outside for fifteen minutes extra with the jump rope if I'm over but still close, or if I want another beer? Sure. But I'm not going to obsess about it if I'm a couple hundred calories over occasionally. I'm making smarter choices and the information on this site/app are more clearly reminding me of where the dangerously high calories are, but if I can't enjoy myself, I'm probably not going to stick with it.

I eat what I want. But I know what the consequences of that are.

Also, back into size thirty four pants as of today.

Congrats! Also, this really hit the nail on the head. This was a great first forum post! Haha
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement with you - during a weight loss phase. My brother and sister-in-law participate in something similar to cheat days. They are not trying to lose weight. They are both slender - my brother having lost all his extra weight while he was in college and my SIL having always been that way - and they eat very carefully during the week. Dinner every night is chicken breast with veggies only. Breakfast is some fruit with Greek yogurt and casein powder. Lunch is salad with EVOO and red wine vinegar topped with some lean protein like chicken, lean beef, or egg whites. They do this so that on the weekend they can enjoy foods that would make them gain weight if eaten regularly throughout the week. Pizza at dinner. Some beers and wine. Buttered popcorn at the movies. Bacon, eggs, and french toast at breakfast. It works very well for them and I feel that this may be something that I might do as well when I reach goal.
  • TashyBashy91
    TashyBashy91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Although i'm new to this, i like the idea of cheat days- as its one day set aside that no i cannot spurge but relax a little on what im eatin, i also find it makes me work harder throughout the week prior and after as im not having to count/log everything. Also (mines an appointed sunday) no one an go wrong with a traditional roast on a sunday i believe i've deserved it and it wont make me go off the hook.
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can agree with you that Cheat days are a bad idea. I am fairly knew to this (almost 2 weeks and have already lost 5 lbs!) and I know that for me, if I allow myself a "cheat" day it will lead me right back to my unhealthy eating habits. I love junk food and once I start eating it, it can be hard to stop. I know people that will see Holidays as automatic cheat days but I am trying to work through those days and make healthier choices, ie learn to be flexible and enjoy myself without blowing a whole days worth of calories at one meal. However, it's whatever works for an individual. Sounds like cheat days work for some, but for me it's a no go.
  • Joely_mole
    Options
    Cheat days are a great way to stay motivated, but if people want to say they're terrible then it's their opinion. I'm currently cutting and have a cheat day every goal i set ( in this case 6 pounds) and was well ahead of my goal at a total loss of 9 pounds,which i'm more than pleased about. Cheat days are only there to prevent people from losing control on dieting and in my opinion they work. To also clear up the issue with they don't work long term or why waste all the hard work through the week to blow it in 1 day? 3500 calories equals one pound of fat which means you would have to be in a surplus of that to gain. The majority of weight gained over the 'cheat day' will be most likely water and not fat! Just thought i'd like to put my input in this.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    What's with the Judgy McJudgersons lately....

Some people like to ease the calorie restriction once in a while. I don't think they need to justify why....since it's their prerogative. If you personally don't want to have a "cheat" day, then don't......

Is Judgy McJudgerson anything like Rudy McRudington?

Now as for cheat days I do not like the concept. I have learned if I cheat, I tend to stay off track and then blow everything and just completely falloff the wagon. But, I do allow a donut...or a piece of pie...something that I can have butt still stay in my calorie range. As long as I stay in range, I still lose. Losing weight is more important than "cheating". I saw somewhere that said "Don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog"
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I used to have this "cheat day" mindset back when I tried, failed, tried, failure... rinse. repeat. lol Once I got over the fact that I need to have exponentially more awesome days than mediocre or bad days... I found my stride. It's really a life style change and those cheat days gotta go. You just have to come to terms with the fact that some days will be better than others.... but you better have more good days. I had been doing great for months and then went to a wine party... lots of wine, cheese and chocolate. I totally blew a weeks worth of work. Now I understand that I can still have fun and do that.. but you will set yourself back ( I did that one time in 3 months of hard work) and it took me two weeks to get back to the weight I was before I indulged (that alone make me not want to do that again). In that instance I opted to enjoy and the next day... I was back to kickin' *kitten* and takin' names! But even on that day... I worked out longer in anticipation and ate a super healthy breakfast and lunch. One bad meal isn't worth throwing away an entire day.... a lesson that must be learned in order for progress!
  • theMIDDLE
    theMIDDLE Posts: 64
    Options
    Maybe cheat day is the wrong word here, but I find that looking forward to sharing some pancakes or french fries with my husband in a diner booth every once in a while KEEPS me on track. A lunch date with friends, a pitcher of margs with the girls, bbqs, holidays... it's real life.

If it takes a day or two to shred the day-after water weight from the higher sodium, so what? It doesn't discourage me because I'm working my *kitten* for this and I'm in for the long haul.

Obviously, no one is encouraging a weekly bender. If you go off the rails with dairy and grease and you feel like *kitten* all week while detoxing all the processed foods, you probably won't do it like that again. Changing the way you eat is hard and there is a learning curve.

In short, if a cheat day doesn't work for you, don't have one.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    well, as a person who is a healthy weight, i 'cheat' whenever a feel like it. not that i ever see it as cheeting. i've always found it asy to live by 'all things in moderation'.

this week i baked & ate an entire chocolate cake. i'm not suddenly going to explode or double in weight because of it. i can't remember the last time i baked a cake and i'm not planning on doing it again anytime soon, so in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

i rarely crave junk food. i rarely deny myself anything i like. i rarely eat when i'm full and i fill up fast.

i totally get how my eating philosophy would spell morbid obesity for a lot of people but, as my main food issue is forgetting to eat, their rules would spell disaster for me too. while our bodies are all very similar, our minds and motivations really are special little snowflakes.
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    Is it considered a cheat day if you ate more 'naughty food' but still stayed below your calorie goal?