Body image self-assessment quiz

Options

Replies

• willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    IN all fairness, I think this quiz should someplace ask our stats. Because, I think at 60 lbs over my goal weight I have every right to feel "uncomfortable in social situations..." or whatever it said, no?

Actually, it is the opposite of what you suggest. You have the right to feel comfortable in social situations no matter what you weigh.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I pose this question as i got a 58. What is WRONG with BDD? What is WRONG with not accepting anything but perfection? What's wrong with not liking the way I look?

No, seriously.... i'm waiting.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I scored 8 points.

SCORE 0-10

Congratulations! You have a good body image and an excellent self-esteem. As a result of this, you are at peace with yourself.
  • sarahmcp3
    sarahmcp3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I got a 59. Yikes.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    SCORE 0-10

Congratulations! You have a good body image and an excellent self-esteem. As a result of this, you are at peace with yourself.

The way you feel about your body has little impact on how you go about your daily life. This is how it should be. Perhaps you are aware of the pressures on people to be a certain shape or size. You see it all around you. Pressures to go on diets, or pressures to go to the gym and achieve a toned-up body. Pressures to look younger than you really are.

You probably feel, correctly, that other things are important in determining how you are to feel about yourself. Be aware however, that people around you may not share similar feelings of self-acceptance. If anything, you will need to guard against being insensitive about how other people feel about the way they think they look, because a healthy body concept has very little to do with the reality of personal appearance, it is more a reflection of how they feel about themselves inside.

In today’s image-conscious society, many people, no matter how successful or attractive they are, have distorted feelings about their size, shape, and appearance which affect their ability to lead a normal life. Take care, therefore, not to tease or make unguarded comments that might hurt the people you care for. And continue to enjoy your life without letting body feelings get in the way.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I pose this question as i got a 58. What is WRONG with BDD? What is WRONG with not accepting anything but perfection? What's wrong with not liking the way I look?

I guess if you enjoy feeling endless disappointment with yourself, nothing's wrong with it.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I got a 42, but I always had issues with my body...thanks dad!
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I guess if you enjoy feeling endless disappointment with yourself, nothing's wrong with it.

It's only dissapointment if you give up. The quiz doesn't address trying to FIX the problem, why should i just settle and be happy with something that is clearly not where i want to be?

It doesn't mean there wont ever be a time when i'm satisfied, simply that i'm not at the current time.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    40+ for me too YIKES

I knew I had body image issues already.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I got a 14....but I'm quite sure that if I would have taken this a year ago my score would have been much higher!!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

A lot is wrong with it.

Not feeling confident or worthy based on some arbitrary ideal is no way to live life.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I got a 16
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    IN all fairness, I think this quiz should someplace ask our stats. Because, I think at 60 lbs over my goal weight I have every right to feel "uncomfortable in social situations..." or whatever it said, no?

I think the whole point is that you shouldn't judge your self based on your weight at all. Someone who is 60 pounds overweight has every right to love themselves and expect respect from others as someone with a perfect body (not that the latter exists anyway)

Exactly. Weight should not have anything to do with our self-esteem.
    I agree with the first poster --- if I felt okay with myself at 196 pounds then I would see no need to change a situation that is killing me. I am uncomfortable with my body when I'm trying on clothes because I'm fat and clothes don't fit!!!! I am uncomfortable in social settings with people I don't know because we live in a society that judges women based on their size and in the corporate world an over-weight woman is perceived as lacking motivation and goals regardless of how smart she is. I am uncomfortable with my body during sex because there is 60 extra pounds getting in the way, I have a ?-mark incision from my pubic bone to my belly button and that much exercise leaves me winded. I know why I got a 49!!! Because I don't like the way my outsides are not a reflection of my insides. As much as I gotta do the hard work on the insides, I gotta do the work on the outsides too.

If I'm at 120 lbs and still scoring a 49 -- then I need to see a shrink!
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    58 for me, but I'm having a bad week or two.
    I don't appreciate a website asking me a few questions and then diagnosing me with BDD, bit over the top! I don't have a disorder, I'm just extremely aware of the things I don't like about my body, and I feel self concious about them. I do have issues with my self esteem, and a lot of it is related to the way I look, but I don't think I have a disorder, and it's really irresponsible of a website to diagnose that.

Edit: Before I lost the weight I probably would of been in the 30's at the most, more likely 20's, I've become much more aware of the things I don't like about my body since I started losing weight ironically enough.
  • KatyCrum6969
    KatyCrum6969 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ....71. :/
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    14 :)

I do worry a bit too much when I've gained a few pounds, have a few areas I'm still not 100% thrilled with, and hate being photographed, but that's because I always wind up blinking and making some goofy face in the time it takes for someone to press the button.

I'd have gone off the charts in the other direction when I was younger. That's one plus for getting older.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

It's only dissapointment if you give up. The quiz doesn't address trying to FIX the problem, why should i just settle and be happy with something that is clearly not where i want to be?

It doesn't mean there wont ever be a time when i'm satisfied, simply that i'm not at the current time.

There is a huge difference between wanting to improve yourself and basing your self worth on how you look. The quiz shouldn't take into account whether you are "fixing" anything -- that's like saying you are worth less one way ... that's horrible.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

There is a huge difference between wanting to improve yourself and basing your self worth on how you look. The quiz shouldn't take into account whether you are "fixing" anything -- that's like saying you are worth less one way ... that's horrible.

I must be horrible. I'm a very black and white person. You are either perfect, or worthless. Hmm... maybe that embedded somewhere deep in my psyche now that you put it that way. :O
  • 40Club
    40Club Posts: 47
    Options
    I scored 13 so I feel pretty good about that! I realize that as I move closer to where I want to be I'll get even better. Had I not lost over 100 lbs and kept it off in the past 10 years I'm sure my number would be sky high!
    ****************************************************************************************************************************************************
    You live comfortably in your body - most of the time. However, your body image and, therefore, your self-confidence can from time to time be a little shaky and there is a risk that certain situations could make you anxious on account of the way you feel about your body, size, shape or appearance. There are several aspects to this that you may need to work on in order to reduce this anxiety and make your life more comfortable.

First of all ask yourself how much do your feelings about your body actually stop you from doing the things which could give you pleasure, such as buying new clothes, being close to someone you love, or even enjoying your holidays. If the truth is that your body image is getting in the way, you may need to take stock.

Perhaps you should ask yourself whether it is your body which is 'wrong' or your feelings about your body which need to be adjusted. Is there perhaps one part of your body you are at war with, (like your tummy or your legs) which is colouring the way you feel about your entire self? How much have you taken on board the completely unrealistic pressures on us all to look like supermodels? No-one can be perfect and it isn’t likely that people will see you as you see yourself.

You may need to do a little work on your self-confidence and self-esteem to help you overcome the minor body image problems that you have and live your life to the full. Life is not a rehearsal and if we 'wait until' our body shape is the way we really want it, we may not do some of the things we would really like to do.

It isn’t advisable to solve a body image problem by rushing into a diet or throwing yourself into an exercise programme. If you would like to learn a few useful exercises which will help you feel better about your body (and they really work) see them below, and enjoy a better quality of life.
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I scored a 57! Yikes... But being honest, I really do hate how I look, and that's why I'm trying to change it. Isn't that the case for most people???