WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    ohiomom - sending good thoughts your way. You know, that's a good question for Shari. I've never been able to read the thread on my phone, either. I do hope that it's just a cyst. Congrats on choosing a healthy breakfast. Isn't it amazing how we get used to healthy foods and suddenly have no desire for unhealthy foods?

Today was a beautiful day, in the 80's. Vince and I went by the pool, he wanted to dig a trench behind the equipment pad to put a pipe in so that when he drains the pump, the water won't all pool around the equipment pad. We got that done, but since he's going shooting tonight and I'm having people over to play Rummy-Que, we decided just to take showers and not do any more work. Well, at least that trench is dug. The next one we need to do is where he wants to put a wire for electricity. Truthfully, that'll probably be kind-of hard since where he wants to put it is right where all the equipment for the pool went so that ground is VERY packed down. I'll get some subs at WalMart and I made an apple upside down cake and also cream cheese brownies. Don't know if I'll tell Vince they're cream cheese. Maybe I'll just tell him it's white chocolate.

I made a mistake, well, not earth shattering really. subway has these " subs buy one get one free, so I got some. They're looking pretty sad to me so I'll probably go to WalMart and get some

Thank you everyone, for agreeing with me in my desire to be at the wedding. Wonder (I tend to doubt it) if Dianna will in any way try to make us comfortable in her country.

M - great numbers!!! I don't know that I'll get to see where Bryan lives. We were hoping to, but one time he said that they needed to do some things in Avila after the wedding and they do want to go see Dianna's grandfather (which I totally understand. As a matter of fact, you know how most weddings go to a park or someplace for pictures after the ceremony? Well, my grandfather was too sick to come to my wedding so after the ceremony we went to his place. So I totally understand Dianna's feeling.) I really hate when I get something stuck in my gum (like a popcorn husk). My oral hygenist usually can get it out with her tool. Yours must have been really lodged down far!!

Did an hour of spinning today. Tomorrow I'll do Jackie Warner's Personal Training DVD, then we have the Newcomer general meeting, then senior bowling, then home to grab a bite to eat and Newcomer bowling. We only have two more bowling sessions, so now to start thinking about a bowling party. I don't mind having it here, really, we have the room.

Lucy in DE - Bryan is 27 years old. If Vince doesn't go to the wedding, I'm afraid he'll regret it. He was probably just being emotional, which is strange since I'm the emotional one and he's the logical one. Oh, I had the long straight hair, too. At least in high school. In grammar school my mother would give me all sorts of perms. I think she may have been trying out new perms. My cousins (they're about 10 years older than I am) told me that they always had the most current hairstyles since my mother used to try things on them....lol

Deb - I'm going to try to enjoy the wedding, but don't know how much I can since it'll be in a foreign country where I don't speak the language. From reading on the Internet, Spanish weddings are usually a big party, but I suspect that this one won't be.

cityjaneLondon - congrats on the great NSV's

Robin - so glad the interview went well. How cool that you booked the yacht. Have fun in Alaska. Sounds like so much fun

barbie - when we go away, there is a pet service that comes to the house and takes care of your pets. We like it because they're in familiar surroundings.

marygee - welcome. I like that you've decided not to be negative. So many people are. Good luck with the dietician

jmk - congrats on those pants hanging on you. I hope dh does the right thing for all of you.

I'm going to post this to mark my spot. Hope everyone has a great evening. Don't know if I'll be able to get back tonight or not.

Michele in NC
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone again- I haven't been away that long - but the threads have really flown by. Well done to everyone with achievements and prayers for those going through difficult times.

On Saturday we set off for a 6 mile walk on the local Chase and 1.5 miles in Charlie (the black doodle) came out of the stream with a bleeding foot! She had cut her pad open! Well, I definitely wasn't going to carry a 33kg wet dog back to the car - so I tied one of the 'dog bags' to her paw and slowly limped her back to the car! After a visit to the vets she is now sporting a blue bandage and is milking sympathy with everyone she meets!

She spent the day at my dad's today - when me and my sister turned up today he wasn't well - so doctor called - and he now has antibiotics for a chest infection and a new angina spray for his chest pains. We were off to start to sort my late uncle's house - so Charlie stayed with dad to keep him company! I think they both enjoyed sympathising with each other!

As Charlie is not allowed to run or jump for 2 weeks - I have had to start to train Chloe the year old choco-doodle to be my C25K running buddy in her place for the time being! (Toby zig-zags too much when he walks so jogging he'd be a liability!) As I'm only on week 2 - this is not too difficult. This evening I took Chloe to agility - and she was so much better at keeping alongside me - so I think the two things together are helping her obedience!

When I got home from agility I checked my fitbit (highly recommended if anyone is considering getting one) and realised I was only on 6000 steps - not many steps done waiting for a doctor or house sorting! - so Toby the springer got a 4000 step walk around the block and for the first time this year I didn't need to wear a coat - saw a fox on route - and I have just done a few stair climbs to get my 10 floors in for today - just so that I had enough exercise logged to enable me to have a mini chocolate bar - priorities!

How I'm going to fit everything in when school reopens next week I'll never know!

Enjoy tomorrow - hope it's kind to you, MA in UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Re: boarding pets: We board our dog with the vet when we need to travel without him. He loves it there and gets lots of attention. He isn’t left in a cage all the time and knows the people. That said, they fill up early and we need reservations well in advance.:flowerforyou:

M: The protein drinks seem so appealing, but I’m lactose intolerant so they aren’t an option. :noway: On the other hand, I’m a carnivore, so protein is not difficult to come by. I have great respect for those who choose vegetarian ways, but highly doubt I’ll ever be among them.:flowerforyou:

jmkmomm: Congratulations on the good news from the cardiologist. :bigsmile: That has to take away a lot of the worry. I know there is still news to come and hope it is as good as the news so far.:flowerforyou:

Michele: It sounds like you’ve made your decision to go to the wedding and I think you’ll be at peace about it. You would always regret staying away. I’m hopeful that Vince will go with you. :flowerforyou:

MA in UK: I love animals and envy your fox sighting. I’ve seen fox on rare occasions, but never while on a walk or close to home. It would be a thrill, and I think you were lucky. :smile: We have quite a bit of wildlife living nearby, including raccoons, river otters, and beaver. The river otters are my favorites.:heart: I have seen a coyote less than a mile from my home, and heard a pack singing across the river last summer. Fortunately, the Columbia River is a good barrier, and I’m not particularly worried about the pack coming to our side.:bigsmile:

Yoga was good today. There were more students there than I’ve seen in quite a while, and we had a good session. I stretched out my sore shoulder and it has felt fine all day.:bigsmile:

Be well and happy,
    Katla in NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Bless all you lovely women doing all this exercise..like I said earlier, I am going to buy myself the fitbit flex which comes out mid May, for when i hit 30 lb weight loss.ate under my calorie count today,but I dont know if this is allergies or a cold, cause now I am sneezing up a storm, but the tree's are budding also, Im thinking more that it is allergies:grumble:
    I want to be able to have stamina like all of you ladies ,wow I am so impressed with some of the things you do:bigsmile: Kudo's to you all.
    DH is enjoying himself down in Florida, he finished power washing the house, and did get a little pool time in today..
    Tommorow is mu late day dont go in until noon, so will take care of the boys, and do some laundry.. and will get my butt to the gym, the way it has been going I end up going every other day, when I should be going everyday:huh:
    I guess I procrastinate, and make excuses, but I really want my heel to heal before doing anything that will re-injure it..
    So glad to hear good things Robin~
    I hope everyone has a sparkling night:wink:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    'x' marks my spot -- back soon! 20 minutes of weights - 22,400 pounds, walking later. Bad on H20 thus far today... time to drink up.

Forgot to say DH has a friend that is at the Masters golf in August, so he is gone overnight. Eggwhite omelette for dinner.

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Had a lovely lunch out at Rebar today with some co-workers. Anyone ever come to Victoria, you'll have to try Rebar. Now to figure out how to log the salad: quinoa, wild rice, black bean on spinach with a few pieces of avocado, red pepper and green onions. Yumm!

ttyl

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Yucky day today here in southeast SD. So far we have had rain, ice, sleet and it is supposed to snow. Many, many trees down with the ice and some power outages. We have been hearing sirens all day. Hope this storm moves out of here soon. I am sure my tulips will be ruined. They were up about 4 inches before this hit. The lilac bush was just starting to bud and now it is covered in 1/2 inch of ice and the branches are bent so that they are touching the ground. I work at a hospital and I think my husband will take me to work tomorrow. Most of our outpatients will probably not come but the inpatients really have no excuse so they will be there for therapy. Went to see the dietician today and I need to decrease the sugars and up the fiber, so that is my goal for the next three weeks before I see her again. Looking forward to better weather ( can't get much worse!) and a trip to the Minnesota Horse Expo at the end of the month.

Sending healing angels to all who need them, kudos to all with successes!

Okay the weather can get more bizarre. We are now having thunder snow! Sue in stormy SD
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bump for now!!
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good Evening:flowerforyou:

Just wanted to say hi and kudos to those posting NSV's and extra hugs to those struggling with health issues! Don't have time to reply individually but I finally caught up on all the posts. Nothing new to report here but sometimes no news is good news, right?:smile:

Kathy
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hey all it’s a blustery, rainy, cold day in Omaha. Today was a good day at work and I got lots done. But I didn’t get any exercise done; the builder was here when I got home and he was in the basement, in the main area in front of the tv where I was going to do yoga, so I was going to wait but then didn’t get to it.

Jane: I had a lot of perms as a young adult, but I don’t know why…my hair looks like Shirley temple!

Barbie: glad the babies are home again! I think I keep hitting the reset button on the pedometer.

Sandy: I may just have to give in and get the fitbit. I’ll keep trying this for a couple of days and then decide.

Vicki did you have any damage from the storms? I heard Kearney got hit pretty hard

Ohiomom: sending all my prayers and good thoughts for your biopsy

Jmkmomm; good news to hear about your dh!

MA sorry to hear about the fur baby’s accident! Hope it’s better soon!

This is so short and I apologize I think of you all often, but I am drooping and may not make it up the stairs. DD#1 just had a car accident..very minor but traumatizing when they call you hysterical and that did me in. Take care, more tomorrow! Meg

Oh thanks to everyone who gave me advise about the pedometer! it won't fit in my bra as Dee suggested but i'll keep working at it!
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe we are on page two of the next board! I'm beat and keeping it short tonight. :yawn:
    My foyer project is 100% done and it looks beautiful! I love it when every thing is freshly painted and is spic and span clean.
    I even bought some new curtains in a Cocoa Brown color. :happy:
    Good night Friends
    Peace ~N~ Hugs
    Carol in WNY aka Cooky
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check-in. Congrats to all the those meeting and working on your goals. I've not been felling it lately - just plugging along without much effort. Probably the stress. Trying not to binge.

Michele - It's been interesting to read your posts and see the progression. I think going to the wedding is the right thing. Someday, he will realize the hurt he has caused. He may never speak of it, but your acceptance and forgiveness will give him permission to do the same of himself.

Barbie - thanks for keeping this going. My furbabies were so happy to see us after our Florida trip. Always good to have those cuddles. Do you ever eat wheatberries or seitan?

Gotta run. Power forward!
  • twotonnetarice
    twotonnetarice Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Debra – Welcome. Good idea to break weightloss into small attainable goals. Some days I think I need to break it down into ounces just so it seems that I am making progress. 10 pounds is a good increment. I need to lose 50, but just thinking about that is too overwhelming.

Jackie – I know that the green juice was something that I always found in Mexico. I didn't know it was popular here. I will have to research it.

Lucy – I used to drink tons of water – and I was thin. Maybe that is the secret. I am forcing myself to drink and drink and drink.

Brooke – I will add the 30DS as circuit training. That makes it a lot simpler. I just make a note of it so that I can keep track of how many days I have done. I sure hope that I get results like some of those whose “after” photos I have seen.

50ishfoodie – what a drag to find termite tunnels. That makes the torn drywall paper almost seem like a bonus.

Jnkmomm – Love you looking for the extra body. I once bought my mom a sanitary napkin thinking that it was some sort of fine linen for the table and that it would add a touch of elegance to dinner. I did this in a public place – got it from the machine in the bathroom. I didn't understand why everybody laughed their heads off because I bought this special gift for my mom.

Sandy – hoping for the best outcome for you.

CityJane – thanks for the name of the facelift exercises. I will check them out. Hope I see better results than I am from the exercises for the rest of the body. I have been putting off going to the physical therapist, but really need some help for my knees. Paying for anything medical is the norm here, so I am just used to it.

Third try is a charm- kept getting a red message saying that the topic was closed - didn't realize that an entirely new page was started.
    Anybody do the high impact exercises like the rock star jump or jumping lunges from 30DS in a pool? I was thinking that it would be a good way to do those without killing my knees.

Missed my bike ride tonight because of a meeting, but it was 82 degrees and incredibly windy again. Will just have to try to double up tomorrow.

Good luck to everybody.

Tari - Ohio
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just found the move to another page, I guess that 's what you call it when 500 posts is reached. I am so tired, walked today and yesterday at work, finding a way to squeeze it in to a busy day.
    I just want to make some progress. I have been takng my vitamin F for months with little progress on the scale. But, and that's a big BUT, I get it and I have formed some great habits. I am patient. I plan to step up the cardio, getting better all of the time, and to keep logging in and tracking accurately. Added a small scale to the kitchen and morning pack lunch for work routein. My time is so tight, need to figure out what the priorities are and cut out some things. I have work for 8-9 hours, and abou a 100 minute a day commute round trip, about 50 minutes each way. I have started to realize that eatting back the calories is a theory, but I may need to just have a chunk of deficite (200 cals or more) every day like some of the folks that I see on MFP who loose so much.
    We have a great little Brittany and my husband works in landscape design (sales). He worked with a wonderful professional photographer who is moving from wedding photog to animals. Over the weekend my husband promised the woman, that we would turn up with our Brittany and let her take pictures. The dog got working and became kickly over heated. But, but the photos turned out wonderful. Not sure I will get the hang on the wall protrait I wanted out of this, but will get a wonderul action shot calendar. So the photographer takes action in motion shots of fast runner dogs. Anyway it was fun and interesting.
    You can probably tell I am an empty nester with a new love, a four legged furry friend. My husband is ok too!! LOL
    Marcia
    Northern Va outside of DC by 30 minutes or so...
    Have a great morning, I'll check in again on Thursday, have a mentor/mentee thing I do tomorrow night and won't be home until late.
    Bye for now!
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello

Just marking my spot for later.

Liz from Idaho
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Jake will get home on Monday.....Sasha and Brandy and I will be thrilled to see him but Bernie will punish him for being gone by refusing to sit in his lap for awhile.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Jane in SLC, I've never heard of wheatberries or seitan. I'll have to find out more about them

:bigsmile: I've had a great day with lots of dog walking and my weight training. I found out this afternoon that I'll be teaching line dance the next three Fridays so tomorrow I'll get busy learning a new dance and planning the class for this week.

:flowerforyou: MIchele, if you go to the wedding, go with a positive attitude, look for the good things, and resolve to have a good time no matter what

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes and those encouraging words........it's nice to be told by people who have done this that you seem to be doing things right.

I went to the gym yesterday, 50 min on the treadmill and then a movement and stretching class, about 45 min. This class is quite an experience: everything from women in their 50's to our oldest who is 92.........and the leader is (I think) 82 and has participated in this class over 40 years. We do all the same exercises at our own levels---I hold 3lb. weights for most of them; others hold none or their choice of weight. Every Monday, Wed., and Fri.--- about 12 regulars.

Had a bit of an NSV today.........I bought a pair of "skinny jeans" back in Oct............well, they certainly aren't skinny anymore, they are loosey-goosey as can be, look very baggy. Hard to be happy though, they are jcrew and cost a lot more than I would usually spend...my daughter talked me in to buying them.

Anyway, hoping for the best for those with problems/troubles........especially crossing my fingers for the Ohio woman waiting for the biopsy results.

yanniejannie

goals:
    actually WEAR the pedometer
    cut down on red meat and up intake of fish
  • Kittybill1983
    Kittybill1983 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Had a lovely lunch out at Rebar today with some co-workers. Anyone ever come to Victoria, you'll have to try Rebar. Now to figure out how to log the salad: quinoa, wild rice, black bean on spinach with a few pieces of avocado, red pepper and green onions. Yumm!

ttyl

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hello Vitamin F and April flowers!

Had to bump for a week or so...but trying to get caught up!

RJ- Robin. I am so pleased the interview went well, and all your vacation plans are in place. Good luck!

Jodios – your cold and wet keeps sailing over my sunny southern Ontario! You must be as unhappy as I am about how cool and grey the weather has been.
    The poor woof is hiding from those horrific thunderstorms that rolled through here.

Mwheatcraft – that was great information about the need to top up protein, and how to find it in veg sources! Thanks!

Jmkmomm – you are dealing with such difficult issues for decisions… I hope your DH sorts out his need to live over his fear of serious surgery. Good luck to you both. And great going on the baggy jeans!

Michele – good luck on you wedding issues!

To all you formerShirley Temple girls – I am sure it was horrible to experience those chemical nightmares ( although I am sure you were all cute)…but think about what is is like to be closer to 60 and still look like Shirley Temple….courtesy of a DNA ‘perm’. Ok, I do not have to do much to my hair, but my hair does only one thing…curl…..sooooo I am grateful, but enjoy your wonderful locks!

Barbie – so glad you have your wonderful pets back!

MAinUK – so sorry that Charlie has been laid up, but I liked your sudden short walk…the Fitbit is motivating! Sounds like you live on the farm from Halcyon River tv program from UK…., sounds like a paradise!

Katia- I use a protein supplement that does not use lactose; and the latest red meat research (taken from the BBC website) is quite scary. AND I really need red meat for my anaemia!

Grandaille – it seems quite normal to want to heal completely….so glad you got the date for the new Fitbit release….hoping my other one comes then too!

Renny – so glad for a recommendation to Victoria restaurant….have not been to the West for a while, but I am hoping to get there in the next year!

Sue of SD – yup, very very strange weather! Snow, sleet, rain and thunderstorms all in the same day. And I am much farther south than you are…. So I was surprised at how far along your garden has budded! Still waiting for the last of the ice to melt off the pool, no tulips, and not even forsythia!

Meg – I hope your daughter is fine, and we all understand that exhaustingly fearful response…droop, sleep and tomorrow will be better, I hope! Oh, I did break down and bought the new(as yet unreleased) and old Fitbit, and consider it money very well spent! I have moved more since I got it than I ever imagined! DH will get the new one, and I hope this changes his daily step count too!

Carol cooky – good news on the reno project!

Marcia-keepit new – when I first found MFP, I found Barbie and asked her about eating back exercise calories…and she pointed out that very few of the calculators were similar, and the range of cals spent were too different. So she advised me against eating back too many of them….and I think that is a good strategy. You might be interested in the Mayo clinic’s NEAT theory that shows you burn more, longer, if you move a small amount every hour….

Sorry I am so far behind on reading so many posts, just had to jump in and catch up with the latest thread! Tomorrow is the last day of classes, although the marking will continue for me for about another week or so, until the final exam.
    Good news here, our son has been accepted into his number one choice for grad school! His zip and confidence is back to normal- thank goodness.

I have recommitted to clean, ‘clean eating’, not just staying under a calorie zone, but ensuring that the cals I do eat are good, (except for the popcorn- it is one of my non-wheat carb alternatives; there is only so much brown rice I will eat in a day!) I noticed a difference right away….naturally hungry for meals, and naturally thirsty. Will be recommitting to new walking goals too!

Have a good evening and great day tomorrow!

BJ, in cold, damp, and not so springlike SWOnt.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I haven’t been able to keep up with all the chatter on this thread so far. Until I catch up I’ll respond to others.

Meg – No, we don’t know what is causing so much pain. X-rays and MRIs show mildly bulging discs and some stenosis. Nerve conduction tests are normal. Nothing that will explain why I have so much pain, or why my left leg goes numb when I am on my feet.

Jane in SLC – I have considered a bike, but I do not currently have access to one. Treadmill or Elliptical are my only options right now. Now that the weather is turning nice, I have been checking Craig’s List and the paper for used bikes.

Barbie from NW Washington – Thank you for the reminder not to compare myself. I’ve had to distance myself from some of the other boards because of this.

Michele in NC – You are right about logging. Using MFP for logging has been a tremendous eye-opener. I have been logging for about 6 months. It wasn’t until I started using MFP, where I could see the macros, that it started making a difference. I gained 5 pounds my first four months just logging. Since I joined MFP, 6 weeks ago, I’ve lost 10 pounds!

Sandy in central Ohio – I used the browser on my phone to open the MFP site. I could not figure out how to access the Community through the mobile site.

marygee1951 – Sounds like we are in similar situations. I just joined MFP and posted to this thread the first time yesterday. I am also having similar mobility issues. I want to do so much and I am physically unable. I’m very proud of you for taking the initiative of meeting with a dietician. Way to go! I, too, am meeting with a dietician monthly. The combination of that and MFP has finally gotten the scale moving in the right direction. I have a long way to go, but I’m finally heading the right way. We can do this together.

I have a confrontational meeting at work, first thing in the morning. Anxiety about this meeting is keeping me from sleeping. Please remember me in your prayers. I have to do this, I don’t want to chicken out.

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome.
    Blessings,
    Shari in NEOhio