What was your wake up call?

Options

Replies

• reallysurreal
    Options
    Sleep apnea symptoms and high blood pressure and being motivated to stay off medications and lose the darn weight.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My wake up call...when my husband told me he didn't find me attractive anymore, and didn't know if he wanted to stay married. I have since lost 45.8 lbs in the last 6 months (using MFP and working out for the last 3 months).
    He did end up deciding to leave last week, in spite of all my success. Too little too late in his opinion.

I'm still awake, and carrying on my transformation...I'm not done yet!

Sorry to say if your husband is that shaow then you are better off without him. If every man or woman left there spouse because of their weight we would not have too many marriages in todays society.
    My husband would never say I was no long attractive to him as he always tells me he loves me unconditionally and that includes some excess weight which he sees me working so hard to reduce. Will he love me more with less weight, no, he will just be happy that it lost the weight for myself without being guilted into losing weight.
    Keep up the good work as you need to do it for you.

Unfortunately divorces are rife particularly in western society. And I suspect some marriages break down due in part to a lack of attraction as a result of one or both partners becoming apathetic in the looks department.

On a personal level I found that it was "selfish" of me to become fat and unattractive to my wife. Whilst my spouse never threatened to leave me because of my looks, I can honestly say that being fat didn't help the relationship either. Losing weight does help somewhat. Though I did have my better half chastise me the other day for jogging indoors on"her" carpet (lol, she used to chastise me for lounging on the sofa)...
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My then 6-yr-old told me I was "biiiig". And kept telling me so until I did something about it. Now he tells me I'm "medium" :laugh: That plus not being able to walk up the stairs without losing breath & quitting smoking and not wanting to put on MORE weight kicked me up the butt. Down 37lbs since last March.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm a geologist and I was on a consulting job up in the Altai mountains in Mongolia. And I found myself struggling to climb up and down the hills at some of the mine sites. Like seriously struggling. Whereas 2-3 years prior (before my fitness levels dropped) I'd had no problems.

So yeah, that was my wake up call. My slacking off on fitness was causing me issues in doing my job. So I started training seriously again. The weightloss was never my primary aim, it was always secondary to fitness, but it's been a nice side effect regardless :)
  • lorenacoy9
    Options
    when i went to try on pants and realized every one around is loosing n im gaining n waiting for a work out buddy or some magic answer wasnt going to happend and looking at my pics befor my kids and said enough is enough i feel unhealthy im out of breath n doing nothing n feeling sorry for my self is not an answer i wanna feel good in clothes not like a dough ball
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Among other things, Monday I went to the thrift store looking for some cute summer dresses. I found an adorable one in my favorite color. I tried it on and it fit great! I go to a lot of music festivals in the summer and do a lot of dancing, so to make sure it didn't ride up in the wrong place a did a little shimmy/shake in the mirror to make sure it would stay in place. And I watched my entire body jiggle... especially my arms and belly.... and I mean really jiggle... so much so that I am actually embaressed to wave at people now.
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture of myself and it looked like I had no neck. That, and feeling disgusted with myself in general.
  • PaliDNAnge
    PaliDNAnge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Combination of two things-

Went to the beach with my sister, and my brother in law took TONS of pictures. Eek.

I was sitting at work in the conference room for some "birthday treat", and I was looking at the fattest person at work, and trying to judge how far away her stomach was from the table, and if I was smaller than her. All the sudden I thought, "Wait, what?" I realized that I wouldn't be happy just being "less fat" than the biggest person at work.

I've done the same that I compare myself to the biggest person I see. I'm 95% of the time the largest person, and I'm the largest of my friends. Not the best feeling, especially when it seems like you're a friend of convenience at times.

My wake up call, though, finally came through earlier this year, and so far is sticking. The new year rolled in and everyone was talking about resolutions. I stopped making resolutions and try to set goals for myself. Every year it's the same, live healthier, be happier, etc, but I never put any specific steps in place to achieve those goals.

This time I thought about it, and thought about it. Although I saw it before, I finally accepted that my life is not what I expected it to be at this point. And I know losing weight won't make me happy, but it will help my confidence which will help me make decisions that make me happier. (I've noticed my confidence is a bit higher than it used to be after losing some weight.) What pushed me over the edge were: 1. my 30th birthday coming up, and I want to look fantastic for that; and 2. my cousin's wedding coming up. I have to travel over seas for that since he, his fiance, and a whole bunch of my family live there, and I want to look better than when I last saw them 8 years ago.
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The custom bra -_-

OH MAN, guilty, yeeeeep THIS ONE, too.
  • sophasaurus
    Options
    Going to a 21st and seeing the photos the next day. I couldn't even recognise the person standing next to my boyfriend, I looked awful. I knew it was time to make a change and become someone worthy of him.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Realizing that my wedding is in December and if I didn't step up my game now, I'd be a fat bride. -___-
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Realising I couldn't blame skimpy cutting for moving up to a size 18, and seeing my big fat arms in summer photos.
  • paige_eloise
    paige_eloise Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    1) realising that the reason I don't let anyone take pictures of me is due to my weight
    2) feeling tired all the time
    3) being 'the fat one' out of all my friends

:/
  • Zoombagas
    Options
    Mine was when I noticed my belly was covered in stretch marks, along with my upper arms! I have a very small frame, and it seems like with every pound I gain I get another inch of stretch marks somewhere! :huh:
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    when my mom died at the age of 45 due to several health issues.
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Facing the reality that none of my clothes fit.:sad:
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    when I just couldn't get into my custom made racing leathers anymore ..well, I could get into them, but they were so tight, I couldn't move around on the bike and ride correctly......that and a good long look in the mirror was the last straw ......
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    This picture. And realising that I was 16stone, 29.9BMI and was no longer playing with my kids... fit and healthy, forget the number on the scale.. and now - pick up heavy things and put them down again! :)

Lydiabefore.jpg

after pics on my profile!
  • cliocat267
    Options
    When I was shopping for size 16 and then finding out it didn't fit and the fact is that I use to be a size 12 about 3 years ago.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Getting this in a fortune cookie whilst eating out...the image is clipped if you are easily offended if not right click and hit view image)
    1_zps95a274ea.jpg

But seriously though I used to hide from the camera because I had grown to hate myself but the final straw was when a friend posted a pic I didn't know about on Facebook of me at a psytrance festival and not only was I quite out of shape(understatement) I looked so sad even though I should have been having the time of my life...I wanted to cry.