WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Barbie - you are so right, the body needs nutrition primarily. At least FOR ME, I just can't not have a cookie or brownie or piece of candy, but I am certainly trying to not have much but have mostly nutritious foods. I'm trying!

DeeDee - as far as shopping goes...you name the day! We had one heck of a rainstorm last night. We couldn't believe how much erosion there was! After exercising then going to the food demo, came home and Vince and I worked outside. I was shoveling dirt, he was digging a trench to bury an electric cable

grandmalle - hope you feel better fast. This has been going on (or so it seems to me) for quite some time now. It might very well be allergies. There's a thin coat of this green stuff on my car (pollen). Hope you don't get the heavy rain that we got. But on the bright side, if it rains that'll wash the pollen out of the air.

Took our aluminum to the Humane Society then did an hour of deep water. There's a lady in that class who does alterations, so I took my pants to her. I really need a 6 and the smallest I could get was an 8. I couldn't even get them online. I gave her both pairs. Tomorrow they're having a "fitness extravaganza" at the Y so I'll just do some yoga at home.

cityjaneLondon - what a wonderful NSV you had!

Sharon - have you taken your measurements? You may have gained weight, but lost inches.

gonzamm - have fun at the party!

lisalynUP - SNOW!!!! When I was shoveling the dirt today it reminded me of shoveling snow. Congrats on the terrific NSV

Phyllis - do you guys over there have school only 4 days a week? If so, from what time to what time? Happy birthday to your hubby

katla - I have so many cookbooks with things I'd like to try, only I know that it'll only be me who'll eat it. But I keep plugging along. Maybe you can make some substitutions so you can still use those cookbooks

Brooke - cute quote

kdenker - Welcome! where was that picture taken...certainly not in MN!!!!! lol

Hike that mountain - with all that running you did, I'd say that you can log 10 minutes of stair running

Lucy in DE - sounds to me like you're on to something. Hope you get out of your funk soon.

jodios - hoping you find time to realx, too. You certainly deserve it after all you've been thru

Cheryl - good luck on the prep. It's only one day and then it'll be over for a few years.

Lin - that's great that you're going to the lawyer's prepared. Too many people don't

Juanita - can't get over that you STILL have snow. You're right, spring doesn't exist sometimes

yanniejannie - congrats on the steps. That's just wonderful! I'm with you, very seldom do I have alochol calories. Hot chocolate...yes

Eileen - my deepest sympathies. My mother has been gone for almost 50 years, and I still think of her often.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading, will write more in the a.m.
    Marcia, Northern VA
    bump
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Jb- I do hope you like the Wheat berry salad

Viv- Happy to hear you are feeling a bit better and I hope you got to go to your Grandson’s Birthday party.

Amanda- sorry about your long commute, Hopefully the ride home was much better. I walk to work and I got soaked today even with my umbrella! TGIF!

Dee- You are welcome and I hope you enjoy it. The shopping trip sounds like it was so much fun.

Phyllis in Egypt- Wheat berries are the whole grain form of wheat before it has undergone any processing. They're a high-fiber whole grain that can be used much like any other whole grain.
    You can also use Farro in place of the wheat berries, They have a slightly different flavor tho.
    The Wheat berry salad is very giving you can put your own twist on it and add other ingredients, like corn kernels, black beans, chick peas or whatever you may like.

Cityjane – I’ll have to look for that book, sounds interesting!

Janemartin- praying that you will find your very special place real soon

Lucy- breathe in deep breaths and welcome in some quiet moments.

Jodios- as I just mentioned to Lucy… breathe in deep breaths and welcome in some quiet moments.

Lin- wishing you lots of good luck with all your legal paper work.

Eileen- I’m so sorry to hear about your Mom. Hugs

Calling it a day, Good night all
    Carol in WNY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    My dear mom went to her heavenly home today. We are grateful since she was in so much pain for the last couple of weeks...No more pain for her. I am also SO glad I went to Wisconsin to see her last week. She was in good spirits when I was there and still smiling when I left as you can see in my status picture. It's hard, but was not unexpected.

Eileen near San Diego

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a mom is tough, even when they're ready and wanting to go. You and your family are in my prayers. Wishing you peace and fond memories of the good times.

Katla
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Eileen, I am so sorry you lost your Mom but am so glad you had a good relationship with her and especially had a good weekend with her before she died. All that means so much. Whether we have had a good or rocky relationship with our parents we remember them always. They mold our lives. I had a good one also. My thoughts and prayers are with you through these coming days, weeks, months and years. A person always thinks of their Mom. When I saw my first forsythia bush of the season I thought of her. When my oldest grandaughter had her first track meet of the season I wanted to call my Mom.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    My dear mom went to her heavenly home today. We are grateful since she was in so much pain for the last couple of weeks...No more pain for her. I am also SO glad I went to Wisconsin to see her last week. She was in good spirits when I was there and still smiling when I left as you can see in my status picture. It's hard, but was not unexpected.

Eileen near San Diego

God bless your mum. x
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, :flowerforyou:

Should be in bed but my normal up in the middle of the night. Really thristy so glass of cold water. So one thing leads to another and I am awake. So here I am.

@Eileen. So sorry you have lost your Mom. HUGS and Prayers going out to you.

@Barbie so true the body needs the right nutrition. Just like our cars run on all grades of gas. They run best on the best gas.

@Meg thinking of you during this extremely busy time. Hang in there.

@Lin good for you being all ready for the lawyers. They are expensive.

@Dee your shopping trip sounds like it was so much fun.

@cityjane that sounds like an interesting book.
    @Jane Martin hope you find your special place.
    @Grandmollie. Hope you feel better soon.
    @Lucy in DE sounds like your figuring things out. I need quiet times so important to take that time.
    @Karla I have lots of cookbooks too. I am always trying to take family favorites and make them healthier. For the most part its working. They eat it up.

Today planning on the normal. Catching up on housework.
    Going to the Y later. That's it. Very simple weekend Hoping it stays that way.

Think. I am ready to go back to bed now

Wishing everyone a good day.

Liz from Idaho :flowerforyou:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

It's a dry day in London, at present anyway. I managed to get soaked on my way home yesterday as well. The commute was slightly shorter than the morning, but not much - it still took me an hour and a half to get home.

Not sure how, but I was quite convinced it was ten o'clock and took myself off to bed for an early night. Hmm, it was only nine o'clock. When DH came to bed about two hours later, I was fast asleep. The only problem was, I was then awake from two o'clock this morning. Thank goodness I'm not working tomorrow - although I am going to have my hair cut and highlights redone.

I've got a huge day at work today. Lots of people coming to collect stuff from the gallery that they purchased during the week, so I'm going to be kept busy - which is the sign for me to actual get on with some work!

Have a good day my friends.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    well good morning all,
    i am up couple of lbs,not entirely happy but not going to sweat it either.. the boys have had breakfast and me my cup of tea.. still dark out, so will wait a little bit and take Homer and Chester for a walk and then to work.then to the airport to pick up the DH.not getting to the gym today because they dont open until 7am and I have to be at work,so will try to do a bit of something here.
    Eileen- so sorry to hear about your Mom ,my deepest sympathies,I lost my mom 13 yrs ago and was lucky enough to spend the last couple of weeks with her.I read her books that she read to me as a child and sang the songs she used to sing to me..One of the last sentences she spoke to me was~ A son is a son till he takes him a wife, a daughter's a daughter the rest of her life..
    remember your precious memories and fun times..
    Well ta ta for now and enjoy the weekend, Hopefully your having nice weather where you are..:flowerforyou:
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all!

Woke up @ 4:00 this morning; tried to sleep in for another hour but finally gave in and got up to start the day. It's going to be a busy weekend so I'm already in full-swing, trying to get everything done here.

Eileen - I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sure it helps that you know she is not in pain any longer but it's still a tough loss and my heart goes out to you.

Hugs to everyone who is struggling and congrats to those who are celebrating. Have a great weekend, everyone!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Eileen:smile: Thoughts and prayers being sent your way:flowerforyou: !

Lucy:smile: I really don`t like those funky days either:noway: , hope today will be a better day:flowerforyou: !

Jodios:smile: I`m thinking about you, I know how hard it is to get all the estate stuff done:cry: , sending you a hug!

Liz:smile: you are up very early! I hope you get to go back to sleep:yawn: ! Sounds like a wonderful weekend, I like keeping things simple!

Amanda:smile: I`ve done the same thing, go to bed early and then get up before the crack of dawn, makes for a very long day, at least you`ll be busy and that makes time go by faster or so it seems to me. Hope you have a good day!

Sandy:smile: Enjoy your busy weekend:flowerforyou: !!!

JaneM:smile: I sure hope you`ll be able to find a wonderful place of your own, sending good wishes and prayers!

I was up at 4:30 again this morning:noway: . I would so love to have a nice normal amount of sleep:love: , getting up so early I want to take a nap in the afternoons:yawn: , and that starts the whole process of getting up early again, vicious cycle:grumble: . I didn`t make it to the shoe store yesterday:ohwell: , I spent some time having coffee with a friend instead, maybe I`ll get by there today.
    I have only one more day of antibiotics and I have to say, I really didn`t realize how bad I felt until I really started feeling good again. Listening to the Dr. this time really helped me, yes I know I should listen to her all the time:embarassed: , sometimes I can be so stubborn:laugh: .

Have a wonderful Saturday ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in very nice NC
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    eileen- So sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my dad at 9 and still think of him often, but with fond memories. Glad you got to spend time with her recently. Prayers for peace for you and your family during this difficult time.

Deb in CNY
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Eileen.........my sincere condolences. My own mom died about 9yrs. ago and my dad 22.........and I still have thoughts that start: "I have to tell....." Sounds like you had a great relationship and you are very lucky in that; hold your wonderful memories close.
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    eileen thoughts and prayers are with you at this time, how nice you got to spend time with her, that will mean so much to you in the days and years ahead, memories are wonderful and they are always with us.

juanita in sudbury
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Katla – A warm bath is the answer to so many of life’s ills IMHO :ohwell:

Juanita – Oh you should definitely log snow shoveling in your exercise diary, I sure do! Hoping S(pring)ummer arrives for you soon

Grandmallie – So sorry your heel keeps troubling you, has the “pain book” helped you at all?

Yanniejannie – Terrific for you, 10,000 steps two days straight! That is excellent, enjoy your hot chocolate “reward” :smile:

Gail – glad to hear you survived the tornado warnings and had an indulgent day with DH, enjoy your massage

Eileen – Hugs to you and condolences on the loss of your mother. So glad though that her pain has now ended. Your picture together is absolutely beautiful :cry: :brokenheart:

Renny – Good for you for understanding that balance is in order and making it a priority

Barbie – Oh how I wish I could take one of your classes! You obviously love teaching them, and take such time in preparing

Liz – enjoy your weekend, hope your “second sleep” was peaceful and restful

Amanda – Hoping your day at the gallery flies by and your commute home is quick and dry!

DeeDee – Wow, you too with the up at 4:30 (or 2:30, or whatever ungodly hour)???? It seems to be an epidemic among us! I know just what you mean about the vicious cycle! Glad to hear you’re almost done with your antibiotics and you’re feeling better :flowerforyou:

Brooke from Colorado

“Happy girls are the prettiest.” - - Audrey Hepburn
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Eileen, I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. Peace and blessings to you and your family.

CityJane, it’s always that way with men. They have different metabolisms and structures and, quite honestly, functions, than we do. There’s no comparison. Congrats on the NSV smaller pants. I’ve seen/heard of that cooking duo – sounds like a hoot.

Sharon, a) how long have you been following the diet, b) how much do you want/need to lose and c) did you go from a much higher-calorie diet to a much stricter one overnight? These things will make a difference and possibly throw your body into starvation mode.

Gonzamom, congratulations on the extra workout! It will make such a difference, I promise. Have fun at your MIL’s party :drinker:!

Lisalnup, happy April, eh? Great job on the smaller clothes size!

Renny, hope you have good weather for your walk today.

Phyllis, I’m glad you’re able to find a place and time to walk. Have you tried carrying a stick to fend off the dogs? A number of walkers around here do that (although we’re not known for having large numbers of rabid dogs).

Katla, glad your DH’s blood pressure is returning to normal.

Brooke, your sayings at the end of your posts are cracking me up!

Robin, GOOOOOO ROBIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Deb in CNY, I’m with you. I’m hoping the weather clears up today (although I’ll be running for most of the day).

Meg, hurry up and get through the clinicals! :bigsmile:

Melanie and Phyllis, both of your lives sound super interesting! I love to travel and see how others live – but I’m the first to admit I might be a little judgey about it if I thought it was hard to be woman in a man’s world in parts of the world #saystheuppitywoman :smile:

Lucy, :sad: I hope you feel up soon. The sun’s coming out today – and maybe you should consider looking for a hormone replacement that won’t mess with you so much? It sounds like the menopause isn’t sitting well with you right now.

Jodios, whine away – that’s what we’re here for! I’m with you – I let the eating slide a little and my weight started to creep up again too (although I stopped it – I’m not dealing with everything you are). Try to find some time to work out – it will give you a feeling of accomplishment even if you don’t get anything else done all day.

Tari, I’m glad to hear you’re thinking about healthy. Now give yourself some time. And some more. Sometimes we just need that patience.

Jmkmomm – I’m so sorry you’re having a tough time with the MS – I can’t imagine. It doesn’t help that your walking partner runs hot and cold too. It’s good that you can ignore him if necessary.

Jo in Wales, your vacation spot sounds lovely! Have a great time.

Cheryl, good luck with the colonoscopy. Sometimes when we’re doing the worst the best thing we can do is to track it – just seeing it in black and white is a good motivator.

Lin, hope your house becomes more boring soon :laugh:. Lots of ladies dealing with parents and issues and loss this week – I sincerely wish you all peace in dealing with it all.

Juanita, hope spring finds you, even if only for a minute.

Yanniejannie, congrats on all those steps! Enjoy your chocolate.

Gail, your weekend sounds lovely! Enjoy.

OK, I have to scoot – hair appointment, then Costco, then more shopping, then Euchre tonight. Busy day!

Cheers, everyone!

M.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Eileen, I send you love. How great that you had a good relationship with your mum. What a lovely smile she has in the photo. I really started to love my mum towards the end of her life, having had a difficult relationship with her before that. Seeing her getting old and feeble brought out my empathy and it felt good to love her unreservedly.
    Keep strong and love yourself x x x
  • twotonnetarice
    twotonnetarice Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's another chilly day here - only 44, really tough considering that it was 83 earlier this week. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and I hope that I can get a bike ride in. If it is windy, I will do a walk instead.

Today is my weigh-in day and I was less than thrilled with the scale. I have upped my exercise this week and thought I would see better results. I know that I can rationalize that I built muscle and it weighs more than fat or that I lost inches(don't seem to be losing any, but not sure that I measure in the exact same spot.) On one hand, I am feeling much better, on the other I still look like a fat glob. I am on day 7 of level 3 of 30DS. I did not do the first two levels on consecutive days, but am doing this level daily. Maybe that will make a difference. I see people who have incredible results by day 10. So, I will just have to think that in three more days that I will look incredible.:wink: At this rate, I am not on track to meet my monthly goal.

My husband saw me right after doing the 30DS today and wondered if something was wrong with me - i guess I was a bit flushed. I will continue on and hope that something that is relevant to me happens in the next week.

Here's hoping that you all have a good weekend and that next week brings good results.

Tari - Ohio
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Eileen, so sorry to hear about your mom. /at least you were able to say goodbye on a good visit. Peace to you and your family.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: DH was outraged that you had to pay sales tax on getting your roof redone. Was the tax on the roofing materials or the labor, or both? Seems like the roofing contractor should have prepared you for that in advance.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I’d like to know how the pants alterations work out. I bought several pair of cute capris last summer. One of them exactly matches the top. If alterations could help, I’d like to pursue it.:smile:

Tari in OH: The hardest thing about weight loss is that it takes its own sweet time to see results. Count your calories, exercise, and be hopeful. It will eventually pay off if you stick to it. :bigsmile: This is a prime example of the race between the tortoise and the hare. The tortoise wins. :wink: I love what MFP is doing for me and for DH. We’re both following the plan and I’m losing faster but he is also losing. He has health problems that interfere with exercise. This isn’t temporary; it is our new lifestyle.:flowerforyou:

Yesterday we worked hard and accomplished much. Today we need light duty exercise.:ohwell: I’m thinking of riding the recumbent in the garage at a minimum. I don’t want those abused muscles tightening up.:noway:

Katla in sunshine and showers NW Oregon