What's your favorite vegetable and how do you cook it?

Options

Replies

• kbeaumont88
    kbeaumont88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Zucchini! I cut it up and put in a skillet with a little olive oil. Cook until tender, flipping often, and sprinking with garlic salt. Yum!
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love doing a mix....with peppers, broccoli, mushrooms....and roasting them with oil, bit s&P
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    do i have to pick only 1?
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    All of them. Varies.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Zucchini! I cut it up and put in a skillet with a little olive oil. Cook until tender, flipping often, and sprinking with garlic salt. Yum!
    I like adding diced bell peppers and onions with my zucchini for a little more flavor!
  • BintyMelx
    BintyMelx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash or sweet potatoes. Dice them, sprinkle with your favorite dried herbs, salt and pepper and a little olive oil and roast until tender.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    yellow squash and onions I love to sautee them in butter
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    Edamames. I get the frozen steam in a bag packages.
  • cubanita28
    cubanita28 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love to chop up cauliflower, broccoli, and green beans, throw them in a zip lock back and coat them with olive oil and Himalayan Pink Sea salt and then bake them in the oven until they are all nice and crunchy .... so good!
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hi! My new favorite veggie is brussell sprouts. I am 37 & I haven't eaten a brussell sprout in 30 years. My grandma cooked them for me and now I can't get enough. You buy them fresh, wash them, cut off the little stub on the end of them and then cut them in half. Some of the leaves will fall off but you will just throw them in the pan. You will need a skillet set on med to low heat. Add about 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Chop up 1 small onion and 4-6 cloves of fresh garlic. (either of those are optional but they give it amazing flavor) Sautee them all together for the first 20 minutes then cover and cook an extra 10-20 minutes or until soft. Enjoy!!

mmmmm I must try this out as my fav veggie is baked brussell sprouts.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The artichoke. Steam them. Eat with mayonaise or melted butter.
    Sweet pumpkin is hard to find. But it is amazing roasted in a 350 degree F oven for about an hour.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My favorite are either raw red bells peppers. ( The longer and darker the pepper the sweeter it is.) or stir fried green beans. I take a pound of fresh green beans and snip both ends. Then I heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. I add the beans and salt and pepper and I stir fry for about 10 minutes until the smallest beans are limp when lifted with a fork and the thick ones are still crunchy. ( also don't worry if some of the beans start to blacken. It is just the oil cooking the skin, and they won't taste burnt at all. I promise! ) That way I get a lot of flavor and texture out of just a few calories! ( It serves about 4 people. ^-^ )
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    Several of people already suggested roast asparagus and other veg. I also do snow peas and green beans this way.

A recipe that hasn't already been posted is caramelized carrots (recipe adapted from the Elizabeth David book on French Provincial Cooking):

Cut carrots in thin rounds and toss into saucepan with barely enough water to just cover the carrots. Add a pinch of salt, a tablespoon of brown sugar, and a teaspoon of butter. Boil furiously with the lid off so that that water evaporates, stirring occasionally. When most of the water is gone keep an eye on it, and stir more frequently over reduced heat so that the remaining sugar/butter mixture caramelizes over the carrots.

Another favorite recipe that hasn't been previously posted is Szechuan dry friend green beans.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/vegetablesrecipes/r/greenbean.htm

I reduce the oil used in this recipe, and "blanch" the beans first by popping in the microwave for one minute.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, stir fried in coconut oil with lots of garlic.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    asparagus
    brocoli
    brussel sprouts
    cabbage
    carrots
    cauliflower
    cucumber
    eggplant
    mushrooms
    onions
    peppers
    summer squash
    turnips

love them all stir-fried, steamed, microwaved................with lemon, garlic.... :smokin:

I could almost be a vegetarian..... almost.

BTW -- your Walking Dead picture is rrreeeaaaalllllyyyy CREEPY ! :bigsmile:
    zuccini
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Current favorite is Brussels sprouts (after years and years of being told it was awful, decided to just try it for myself). I sautee them for 2-3 minutes in olive oil or light butter, then roast them for 15 with a dash of salt and pepper. In fact, just had that for dinner tonight!

Another favorite is broccoli. I love steamed broccoli served over a potato with pepper and shredded cheese. I also like it raw with hummus or salsa.
  • Recovery_Girl
    Options
    I'm pretty addicted to kale atm. Kale salads with fresh veggies are awesome. But I also like roasting broccoli, carrots, squash, and cauliflower if I'm in the mood for comfort food. I use a touch of evoo, lemon juice, a pinch of sea salt/pepper, paprika, and a pinch of ground cumin. I mainly love it because it tastes buttery and delicious lol.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Artichoke, in anything.

Yellowsquash grilled with cooking spray and seasoning salt...mmmmm
  • chasecohen
    Options
    Broccoli, love it. Most days I just boil it in water for a few minutes in salted water, like it al dente.

When I'm doing it for other people though, I usually blanch it, then fry in 2-3 teaspons of butter and garlic. Then add a bit of soy sauce at the end.
  • millerne
    millerne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Broccoli/Spinach in the steamer.

Also love beetroot.