Herbalife? Anyone try this to aid weight loss?

Hi All -

Have any of you used Herbalife to supplement your weight loss? A friend of mine (older adult w/ a child) sells it and is really pushing me to try it. She keeps trying to get me to sign up for a body scan and try Herbalife. I've read mixed reviews on it, and honestly have never used shakes before. My intention was to maybe use one as breakfast - as I am not a breakfast fan. I just feel so blah when I eat breakfast - or like millions, I "have no time."

I am trying to change my habits and eat healthy, but with a goal of 100lb. weight loss - I feel like I could use the extra boost. Tips/thoughts on Herbalife?

Jen

Replies

• VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    I like the shakes for when I don't have much time. I have a 2 week period starting that will be crazy busy and I plan on using these shakes to get me thru! It has to be better then crappy fast food or vending machine snacks.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    I heard that that Herbalife is undergoing review by the Federal Trade Commission for its illegal pyramid scheme. If you want a shake type meal just go for protein shake and multivitamin.
  • I suppose that is true! My fiance is a MAJOR junk food fien, which makes it hard for me since we live together. I feel so 'greasy' and 'bleh;' when I eat junk....just so hard to stay on track!
  • Is this like the whey protein jugs you can buy at Walmart? I am sooo new to this!
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Is this like the whey protein jugs you can buy at Walmart? I am sooo new to this!

There are a lot of cheaper options than Herbalife out there. I like the chocolate peanut butter flavour I bought at Walmart by Body Fortress. It is whey protein. Just add milk, don't need to add anything to make it taste better.
  • I will try to scope that out! I am such a sucker for PB & Choc...that just may help to curve cravings! I have had such a hard time trying to get myself to drink soy, and then rice milk and almond milk - even chocolate stuff. Barf. I guess being from Wisconsin I am just stuck on real MILK. lol.
  • lunabella76
    lunabella76 Posts: 39 Member
    I also have trouble eating breakfast. I buy my protein powder at Walmart and throw it in the blender with non fat milk and frozen berries. I drink it on the way to work. Yummy and very filling!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    My co-worker does this sometimes. Loses a couple pounds of water weight, then puts it all right back on. Serious deprivation diet. Just eat healthy, eat enough, be consistent and patient. There aren't any miracle fixes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to. Some people find that eating breakfast helps them start the day, but others don't eat anything at all and that's fine too if it doesn't make you go over your calories the rest of the day.

As for herbalife, it sounds like your friend wants you try it because she wants to sell it to you. If you want shakes there are plenty of good options that aren't MLMs.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    To each his own. . . and I understand that everyone has different preferences and needs, but do not drink my calories (except for the occasional margarita or glass of wine). All of those shake mixes have tons of processed ingredients and to me they taste disgusting.

If they work for some, great. But I'm living testimony that it is possible to achieve your goal weight just eating all normal food and staying in your calorie levels.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Before joining MFP I was actually following the Herbalife diet plan. I had a shake for breakfast, another for lunch, and a low carb high protein dinner. I did lose about 30lbs in about 5 weeks, but in my experience the plan just isn't realistic for long term weight loss goals. It was expensive, not to mention I was always hungry and irritable. I wanted to actually CHEW something and the shakes (at least for me) were very easy to get sick of.

It sounds to me as if your friend means well, but is also trying to sell you the product.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I've tried it before. Unlike Metabolife, Herbalife doesn't work. It doesn't suppress your appetite, which is its main selling point. Also, it should be said that while real stimulants *do* help you lose weight, once you quit taking them, the weight comes back with a vengeance.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    For a quick and probably healthier alternative to the herbalife shakes, you could try Ensure. If I'm running out the door and don't have time to eat I drink one of the chocolate ones (Which I think are pretty dang good) and there's enough calories and vitamins in it that I'm good until lunch time!

Who cares it it's for old people (I'm 28 ;) ) - just find something that works for you!

I think the slimfast shakes could be used this way too (Not as in, two a day plus a meal, but just one every now and then as a meal replacement when you don't have time to eat!)
  • I have tried Metablife when I was younger (I'm 24), and it scared me. Felt like my heart was racing. That is my BIGGEST fear because all of the gunk in products.

I think I may take everyone's advice and do protein powder + berries/PB. I have two jars of Slimfast mix (never used) that I might use for breakfasts with a banana or something and maybe oatmeal, but I just may steer clear of HL.

THANKS ALL!

Now...on to...PROTEIN SMOOTHIES/SHAKE RECIPES! :)
  • kandyice1
    kandyice1 Posts: 48 Member
    I've tried it before. Unlike Metabolife, Herbalife doesn't work. It doesn't suppress your appetite, which is its main selling point. Also, it should be said that while real stimulants *do* help you lose weight, once you quit taking them, the weight comes back with a vengeance.

weight will come on regardless if a person isn't eating healthy after they decide to get off what ever diet they may have been using. just sayin'.
  • Kaathmandu
    Kaathmandu Posts: 129
    I tried herbalife - pushy brother, in my case - I only lasted a couple of weeks as the supplements and stuff made me feel really sick ... I remember having to pull the car up and vomit on the side of the road. Hundreds of dollars for that!?
    Optifast is probably the best 'meal replacement' diet I have done ... but Atkins works best for me. And it is real food.
    Good luck :smile:
  • Brittz0819
    Brittz0819 Posts: 1 Member
    OMG I just finally went to the Herbalife shake bar and I'm absolutely hooked now! Luckily they make them there for you like Jamba or Starbucks, but they're only 200 calories, 24g protein, 5g fiber! I was on a plateau for 2 weeks and went to get a scan, I was eating too few calories for my muscle mass and not enough protein! I drank one shake and increased my calories and the next day I was down 1.4 pounds and .8 the following day!! I bought the powder to make at home, you can flavor with 1 Tbs of sugar free jello pudding and make a "butterfinger" or "lemon merengue"! I love that I have the "bar" though to go get one made for me! They serve over 50 flavors with a shot of aloe and green tea! I'm hooked now!!!
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    I used to buy Beachbody's Shakeology and it's the same deal. Overpriced "health" drink.

There are MUCH cheaper and healthier opions out there , just look for it! You could even just browse around Amazon.com There are tons of similar things on there.

I just starting drinking Raw Meals Chocolate meal repleacement .vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Organic, GMO Free and it's not too shabby!
    and it's $100 a month LESS than the pyramid scheme Shakeology drink I was drinking before.

Do your research and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • geaze
    geaze Posts: 2 Member
    I have never been a fan of any of the weight loss products. I won't say they won't work but it is too easy to fall off the wagon using those products. Its hard as hell to eat clean sometimes. I am a pizza fanatic and when anyone in my house gets it I go for a jog or go to the gym anything to get away from it. Remember that your goal is to be healthier.
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Ive tried Herbalife in the past but my Doctor insisted I stop immediatley due to it messing with my liver enzymes, kidneys etc. I followed her instructions and my blood work is now back to normal. I've had several family members be told the same thing so to me its NO GOOD!. Try making your own breakfast shakes, they are much healthier! Lose weight the good ole fashion way! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!