What's your favorite vegetable and how do you cook it?

Options

Replies

• bub_snig
    bub_snig Posts: 56
    Options
    Mushrooms and onions.raw is good but I love using a little pinch of chilli flakes and garlic and instead of oil or butter I use water (this saves on fat) and sauté them until tender. Omg this mix is amazing on a piece of chicken or steak as a topper! No need for salty gravy if u pour the remaining juice on top. The garlic is good for your heart and blood and the chilli helps boost the metabolism!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I love onions, garlic, red chili peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots. I just either eat them raw or stir fry it
  • Semperdrunk
    Options
    Roasted Brussel sprouts. I cut them in half, brush olive oil on them. Mash up some fresh garlic and either sprinkle it over them, or mix with the oil before brushing. Roast them until they are slightly blackened around the edges.
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Salmon steamed on cauliflower & broccoli with the salmons oil drizzling over veges mmm & add sauce if want e.g white,hollandaise etc :)
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Asparagus bunch wrapped with one slice of reduced fat bacon and broiled until the bacon is crispy. Yummy!

Or bbq yummy
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, onions, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, all cut up, tossed with some olive oil, Everglades seasoning and roasted on 350 for 45-1hr. love, love love. The best part is I cut everything up on Sunday and place it in quart size baggies for each day of the week, so easy when you get home to toss into the oven!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Asparagus! I like to broil it with some seasonings and a sprinkle of olive oil and lemon juice :smile:
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    fine green beans, boiled with gravy and steak pie mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Jeffrey_S
    Jeffrey_S Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it growing up, but have come to really enjoy asparagus. My two favorite ways to prepare it:

Fresh green asparagus (the thicker the stalk, the better): Brushed lightly with olive oil, garlic and black pepper, then flame grilled.

Fresh white asparagus (again, the thicker the stalk, the better): Peel the woody outer husk, place in a skillet with butter and a splash of lemon juice, saute on low until tender. Sprinkle with dill weed and serve.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions as I was getting tired of my usual sauteed peppers and onions or zucchini and yellow squash. In the Summer, I slice these thick, lightly coat with oil and some seasonings, then throw them on the grill... OR add to skewers... I use red onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash, and grape tomatoes. I then align them on the skewer sticks, coat them lightly in olive oil with some Mrs Dash or garlic powder and black pepper. Throw the skewers on the grill and cook until tender and brown.

I also LOVE Winter squash (also known as spaghetti squash) with any type of sauce you would normally use over pasta. Great substitute for pasta if you haven't tried it.

As far as raw veggies, cucumber is my favorite.
  • lmjannin
    lmjannin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Asparagus broiled with lemon pepper and olive oil
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Asparagus on the grill w/ olive oil, salt, and pepper.

I'd 2nd this.

Spinach sauteed in garlic and olive oil with a squeeze of lemon juice and some feta crumbled over it.

Carrot and coriander soup. Fry off onion and garlic. Add vegetable or chicken stock. carrots (the stock should just cover them) the root's of a bunch of fresh coriander. Cook until the carrots are soft. Blitz then add the leaves of the coriander and a dollop of natural yogurt to your bowl. You can add potato if you want it thicker.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Broccoli! I just steam them in the microwave, no salt, no seasoning, no nothing!
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cabbage sauteed in olive oil with garlic, onions, salt and pepper.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Broccolini (the tall skinny broccoli) just steamed and a little salt added.
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I LOVE brussels sprouts. And thankfully, so do my husband and all three of my children (7, 10 and 13 years old). We like them steamed or the quartered and cooked with bacon pieces and a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper (drain the bacon!! It doesn't take much, either :) Maybe 4 strips for a whole pan ful).

Also love wilted spinach. Take fresh spinach and put in a pan with some heated up EVOO (1-2 tbsp?), salt and pepper to taste...and just cook til wilted. Delish. Be careful of eating too much spinach, tho ~ it can cause kidney stones!
  • eastonna
    eastonna Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just one? That's tough.

Lately it's been either broccoli or brussel sprouts. I roast both of them. Clean them and cut them (the brussel sprouts I quarter lengthwise) then toss them in olive oil salt and pepper and bake them at 400 for about 20min. Sometimes I slice up garlic, or sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning or parmesan. Cauliflower is also really yummy done this way. I find it super quick as you don't have to really watch them,
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Asparagus.....drizzle with a little oil, and sprikle with salt. Bake at 350F for about 20-30 minutes.
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump